Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Trying to figure out how only one person is supposed to transport at least a week's worth of groceries now without a car. Gonna have to go more often I guess.

Steal a shopping trolley, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A bloke down in Tasmania reckons he's got trailcam photos of live thylacines

https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/status/1363891132157947911

He's previously uncovered video "evidence" from SA in 2016 and Perth in 2017 that wasn't very convincing so we'll have to wait and see

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A bloke down in Tasmania reckons he's got trailcam photos of live thylacines

https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/status/1363891132157947911

He's previously uncovered video "evidence" from SA in 2016 and Perth in 2017 that wasn't very convincing so we'll have to wait and see

Update on this: turns out he can't tell the difference between a pademelon and a thylacine
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/sustainability/no-the-tasmanian-tiger-has-not-been-re-discovered-20210223-p5755i.html

Infinitum posted:

Shout out to old mate this morning

https://i.imgur.com/3QIjSOP.mp4

Make sure you send that to Dashcams Australia. :v:

bee posted:

Nice sticky lizard you got there. I haven't seen many geckos around here but there are a fuckton of skinks living in my backyard and seeing them sunning themselves on the retaining wall brings me joy.

I get geckos in my garden in Melbourne but they mostly seem to be nocturnal

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda hoping Adelaide locks down, I've got some mandatory jobseeker bullshit training I'd like to get out of. Though I'd also like to see if I can finally loving get a ADHD diagnosis. Either works.

Here in Melbourne the Jobseeker mutual obligations were shut down for pretty much a full year because of the lockdowns, it was great. All that stress and bullshit just gone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Infinitum posted:

So we're up to 4 pages worth of alerts now! Fun!

Four pages sounds a bit low with the number of cases you've got, tbqh. Victoria had 102 cases of community spread between May 24 to June 26 and got up to 4 or 5 pages at some points from memory, NSW is already up to 141 cases in just 10 days
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_clusters_in_Australia

Here's a fun page that displays the known outbreak addresses in the state, you can hit the 'play' button down the bottom to watch the recent outbreak spread throughout the state day by day
https://covid19nearme.com.au/state/nsw

E: a coupla flogs in mid-north coast NSW decide to go the biffo when a restaurant owner asked them to put on masks and check in via the QR code
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1409818472536690693

quote:

"I didn't realise he was going to attack me...punch me in my face. [He] broke my nose... blood fell on the floor, smashed my knees and [he] just ran away."

The woman, 27, tried to jump the restaurant counter before allegedly biting a 44-year-old customer who was attempting to intervene.

The couple then ran away and Mr Jamalifard said he saw them go to another restaurant but police found them a short time later.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 29, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

31 new covid cases in NSW. 13 were in the community while infectious.

:coronatoot:
https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1410766516186845184

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that the sound of a helicopter coming in to land I hear?

No, wait, it's loving Scummo trying to spin what's going on as "oh well, this is just going to happen every now and then until we're all vaccinated :shrug:. It'll be better later in Phase 3, this is still Phase 1!!"

The Underpants Gnomes have a better strategy than him.

Yep, he's shifting responsibility onto individuals to get vaccinated (and then we can all open up!) rather than leading from the front.

Lolie posted:

Didn't the pathway out get announced some time last year? And then quietly abandoned a few months later.

Federal government had to drop all discussion of vaccination goals when it became super clear they weren't able to hit any of them and instead lean hard on the "It's not a race!!" message, all the pathways got dropped at that point.

But now QLD and NSW and ACT are in lockdown so he has to be seen to be doing something, or at least talking about potentially doing something at some undetermined future point if a currently undefined number of vaccinations can be achieved. He's kicking the can down the road AGAIN because that's all he's capable of doing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

If we're still in Phase 1 at the end of the year he will need to pull something spectacular out of the hat before May rolls around.

There's absolutely no way the LNP will allow lockdowns and border closures to continue on and off for another 6 months, but I'm also pretty sure that Scummo is betting that the case numbers drop in the next week and the premiers can lift all the lockdowns and the furore will die off and take the pressure off him. Because that's how assholes like Morrison and Johnson and Trump deal with existential threats.
If we get more cases and more lockdowns later in the year he'll blame people who have"chosen" not to get vaxxed for holding everyone else back, even though there's not enough doses to go around. If we still haven't reached the Phase 2 requirements by the end of the year they'll push it forwards anyway, arguing that hospitalizations and deaths are way down so we must have hit herd immunity already.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The plan the premiers put to him was almost certainly predicated on Gladys not loving the entire country over this past week, and now Scotty's going to be caught with his pants down again when things are not back to relatively-normal in another week. NSW is not coming out of lockdown for months at this point and if they try they'll just make it much, much worse for themselves.

So of course you just know they're going to do it at the first sign of cases easing.

During the press conference he was talking about how the situation in Sydney has leveled out and numbers are holding steady which was a big LOL

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean technically he was correct; It's a steady increase in cases :v:.

Last Saturday & Sunday there were 29 and 30 cases reported and there were 31 cases reported today, seems pretty level to me. :colbert: (please ignore every day in between tyvm)

Laserface posted:

the saddest, most frustrating about this whole gently caress up of a federal government and the mismanagement of the pandemic response at the federal level is that those who are the least affected (boomers) are the ones who are going to keep voting for the fuckheads and they will win in yet another undeserved victory of no policies and no long term future planning.

A small number of boomers are experiencing some consequences, possibly for the first time in their entire lives judging by their reactions. :v:
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1410830569324220417

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Last Saturday & Sunday there were 29 and 30 cases reported and there were 31 cases reported today, seems pretty level to me. :colbert: (please ignore every day in between tyvm)

Oops, never mind

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1411127682553683969

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
NSW is still talking about possibly opening up in 6 days LOL it's not going to happen you idiots

quote:

Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said she was "forever an optimist" about being able to advise the lockdown could end on Friday, but she would need to see sustained high levels of testing as well as a reduction in the number of people who had been in the community before testing positive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spaceblancmange posted:

I was pretty surprised they lifted the Brisbane lockdown, there are at least 5 separate clusters.

On the one hand this will definitely lead to even more cases and extend this outbreak for at least several more weeks, leading to longer restrictions and even greater disruptions to business and travel

On the other hand a whole lot of people had already bought tickets to the Sharks v Broncos match tomorrow so :shrug: :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like how he gets to the right answer the completely wrong way. "We'd be doing a lot better if fewer people were walking around before testing positive", you say? Well maybe, just maybe, you should've told people awaiting a test to stay home and isolate instead of letting them roam free you idiot.

Friends of mine went to Adelaide this week and they reported that they had to isolate until they'd taken a covid test, then they were allowed to go out and mingle while they waited for their result

E: they decided to stay isolated until they got their results

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 3, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the advice in NSW is that if you've taken a test you need to isolate until you get the results: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/frequently-asked-questions.aspx#4-1

The tweet was about people who'd been out in the community while they were in their contagious pre-symptomatic phase, once they started developing symptoms they would have gotten a test and then started self-isolating

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strong Convections posted:

Your friend's idea of "being allowed" to go out is likely that they were told to isolate.
Nope!

quote:

Any person (including Essential travellers, returning South Australian residents and people genuinely relocating, and people escaping Domestic Violence) arriving from Victoria (other than those who have been at a Tier 1 or Tier 2 exposure site at a relevant time) is permitted to enter South Australia but subject to modified Level 3 requirements:

- COVID-19 test on day 1
- Self-quarantine until undertaken the first COVID-19 test (do not need to wait for the result).
- No entry into high risk setting for 14 days after arrival, unless clause 9 applies.
- No entry to COVID Management Plan events >1000 for 14 days after arrival

Victorian Cross Border Community Members are permitted unrestricted entry into South Australia as long as they have not left the cross border corridor (70 km from the SA/Vic border) in the 14 days prior to their arrival in South Australia.
https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/restrictions-and-responsibilities/travel-restrictions

They've got different rules for people arriving from different states/territories/countries, and obviously the rules for SA residents who get tested are different as well

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

When your football team plays My Boomerang Won't Come Back at half-time during a NAIDOC week match.

I hadn't listened to the song for decades (my dad used to listen to those "Dizzy Ditties" LPs with wacky songs like this when I was a kid) so I remembered it being pretty bad but I wasn't sure how bad, so I went back and listened to it yesterday and it's real real bad. Real goddamn minstrel stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

NSW Health says 33 linked, out of 35.

11 of them were out and about during some or all of their infectious period

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1411852715295051780

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

One of the new Baulkham Hills residents is unvaccinated.

https://twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/status/1411866668276490242

LOL

E: but also
https://twitter.com/madelinemidwife/status/1411855603119529985

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leunig has been anti-compulsory-vaccine pro-"choice" (anti-vax) for years and his opinions about the covid vaccines and the covid restrictions are real lovely

(These are all items that native peoples accepted when they were tricked into signing treaties and gave away all their rights and freedoms)

Etc etc etc

He might seem like a whimsical carefree hippy but he's a lovely, self-centred, out of touch rich liberal

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fuckers just won't stay in hotel quarantine. Note that the federal government wants to eventually scale back the hotel quarantine system and move towards a home quarantine system for vaxxed people and it's 100% certain that a lot of people just won't stick it out, so that's destined to be a shitstorm as well.

quote:

A woman in quarantine after returning from Sydney allegedly scaled fourth-storey balconies to access an outside staircase of the Pacific Hotel in Cairns to escape quarantine, Queensland police say.

Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said the woman, who lived in Cairns, was arrested and charged.

"A 22-year-old female who had come from Sydney on July 1, placed in hotel quarantine in Cairns, was found to be missing yesterday," he told reporters in Brisbane.

He said police reviewed security camera footage to work out how she fled the hotel.

“It appears this person has scaled two balconies, gone down an outside staircase, then has damaged a door to escape," he said.

"We believe she has kicked it in, so she was fairly motivated."

"Upon being discovered, police have conducted inquiries and that 22-year-old was located last night in Cairns," Deputy Commissioner Gollschewski said.

The woman was found at her mother's house.

She faced Cairns Magistrates Court this morning on charges of contravening public health directions, unregulated high-risk activity and wilful damage and was fined $2,500.

Convictions were recorded on all three charges

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-06/queensland-coronavirus-cases-update-hotel-quarantine-escape/100266780

On a side note I wasn't aware that "unregulated high-risk activity" was a crime, I was certainly guilty of that quite often when I was a youngster

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Looks like NSW lockdown is about to be extended for another week.

Meanwhile Vic has gone a full week without a single local case and will probably be easing restrictions. :toot:

Also it's annoying that NSW Health are so lax with their daily updates. Vic DH updates at 9am on the dot every day but NSW Health dicks around every morning and maybe updates around 11am-ish. Get your act together. :argh:

(My assumption is that they're trying to avoid the morning news cycles)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
NSW state politicians are already making noises about giving up on the lockdowns and just learning to live with the virus, and are passing the blame onto community members not doing their part

quote:

NSW may never control its current COVID-19 outbreak, and be forced to live with the virus for good, Health Minister Brad Hazzard says.

The admission came towards the end of a long press conference and signalled, the possibility at least, of a major pandemic policy shift in Australia's most populous state.

NSW is grappling with an outbreak of the ultra-infectious Delta COVID-19 variant, which has been spreading through the community — albeit at low levels — since last month.

While it started in Sydney's eastern suburbs, the main areas of concern are now in the city's south west, in the local government areas of Liverpool, Fairfield and Canterbury-Bankstown.

The state's chief health officer, Kerry Chant, implored people to reduce their movements around the Harbour City.

On the same day the lockdown affecting Greater Sydney and its surrounds was extended for a week, Mr Hazzard was asked if the state would ever gain control of the Delta COVID-19 variant.

It was put to him that, perhaps, the state should just "give up" — something that would put NSW's strategy at odds with management blueprints in other states and territories.

"If the individuals that we need don't hear Dr Chant's message and don't respond, then at some point we're going to move to a stage where we're going to have to accept that the virus has a life which will continue in the community," he said.

"Particularly for the community in south-west Sydney; Canterbury, Bankstown, Fairfield and Liverpool, [you need] to understand that your individual actions may well determine the future of this virus in our community."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-07/nsw-delta-variant-may-never-be-controlled/100273956

"Governments can only do so much. At the end of the day it is about community and individual responsibility."
https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1412632080052195328

Melburnians sat through 100+ days of strict lockdown last year and these softcocks are wilting at the 2 week mark

Laserface posted:

i was going to the snow with my brother for his birthday this weekend which is not happening (cancelled that last week) and now im worried about a concert I wanted to see next weekend being cancelled, a cairns bucks party in mid august and every other weekend + a week in august at the snow being cancelled too.

also heaps stoked I spent $500 on new snowboard boots and about $1500 in car maintenance in preparation for the ski season that is now very likely not happening.

just stoked.

I've got friends in a band who just launched a new album and were supposed to be touring the east coast in the next few weeks, that's all hosed now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

I don't think there's any chance of us getting down to multiple days of zero this month, which is what other states will require before opening their borders to people from NSW.

We're going to have to build a wall around Sydney like Escape From New York :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
NSW sliding backwards instead of improving

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1412939556286963713

That brings NSW to a grand total of 395 local cases detected since the outbreak started on June 16, with 10% of those cases ending up in hospital

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1412939565870977026

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 8, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aware posted:

Agree they should. Only thing that would impact me is if I can't visit my intimate partner who is a 7 minute drive away. I'd probably just end up moving their for the remaining lockdown though anyway.

When Melbourne was under strict lockdown with a 5km travel limit and a ban on people from other households visiting they carved out exceptions for intimate partners and compassionate care visits (caring for elderly relatives, etc)..
If Sydney does tighten their restrictions I'd expect similar exceptions, but on the other hand I wouldn't be shocked if they forget. I also won't be shocked when loads of anti-mask assholes abuse the loopholes to do whatever they want. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

I get the intent of the "don't leave your home unless you absolutely have to" messaging, but it's probably making the wrong people feel guilty. I have a surveillance CT scan booked for Monday and it would be a very bad idea to delay it until after lockdown (which could be months away), but I almost feel like I should.

Heck no, absolutely don't cancel that appointment. People delaying medical procedures has been a big issue all the way through the pandemic, just mask up well and you should be fine. Medical staff (especially dentists) have usually been really good throughout the pandemic with PPE usage and isolating patients from each other.

Of course if you turn up to the clinic and no one is wearing masks then turn around and walk right out .....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oops, no more carrot, only stick

quote:

NSW Premier 'can't see restrictions easing next Friday' without a dramatic turnaround

Ms Berejiklian:

"I appreciate the message I'm delivering today is quite shocking for a lot of people," she said.

"But I need everybody to be shocked.

"Because when I said just a few days before we had to go into lockdown that this was a scariest period for NSW during the pandemic.

"NSW is facing the biggest challenge we have faced since the pandemic started. And I don't say that lightly. I don't say that lightly.

"Unless there is a dramatic change, unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the numbers, I can't see how we would be in a position to ease restrictions by next Friday."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/covid-live-updates-coronavirus-press-conference-sydney-lockdown/100279126

well why not posted:

A few people I've spoken to are seeing their romantic partners at each other's places and it's honestly kind of ticking me off. Last weekend it wouldn't have bothered me at all, I would've done the same, but now it just seems so much more serious.

I'm okay with the intimate partners loophole just as long as it's limited to actual relationships and not random dating app hookups. If they banned intimate partner visits then people would just keep doing it but lie to cover it up, which would severely gently caress up the contact tracing process.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 9, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

High profile?

Warney?

This discussion is ghoulish and disgusting and I'm disappointed in you all. :colbert:

..... but while we're at it I'll nominate Alan Jones, John Laws and John Howard. Clive Palmer would be #1 pick for sheer irony value but I don't think the universe would be kind enough the grant us that one. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unfortunately they're all old fuckers and undoubtedly vaccinated due to being A: Rich and/or B: mates with the LNP so they can jump the queues. Why do you think they prioritized vaccination for over-60's?

Delta has a pretty good track history of putting vaxxed elderly people into the ICU :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Infinitum posted:

Ah yes, Ikea. Essential.

It's essential-ish but Bunnings is was more essential

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

From what I can piece together, we're just getting some of our doses sooner than was expected. Good news but certainly not a game-changer.

Correct: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/australia-pfizer-doses-announcement-scott-morrison-vaccines/100280104

quote:

Since mid-June the Pfizer vaccine has been recommended for Australians aged under 60, putting pressure on the limited supply of doses.

Currently, Australia has between 300,000 and 350,000 doses of Pfizer per week to administer, but demand outstrips that.

But from July 19 Pfizer has confirmed Australia can expect 1 million doses a week.

That means 4.5 million doses of Pfizer will be delivered in August, when such a number initially was not expected until September.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said that would prop up the government's existing plans to offer every willing Australian a first vaccine dose by the end of the year.

"If we keep these rates up we'll hit that," he said.

The acceleration means more doses about one month sooner than expected, but …

These aren't new or 'extra' doses of Pfizer

Australia has contracted Pfizer for 40 million doses to be delivered by the end of the year, and the doses announced today come from that pool.

Pfizer released a statement saying the changes were "in line with our weekly delivery schedule", but hours later changed its language to say "we continue to update our weekly schedule in line with the ramp-up".

"The total number of 40 million doses we are contracted to deliver to Australia over 2021 has not changed.
We continue to work closely with the government to support the ramp up of their rollout program," the updated statement said.

"While the details of our agreement with the Government are confidential, we can confirm that deliveries to Australia  remain on track."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

They may have accepted "it's not a race" before, but now it couldn't be clearer that it is a race and it's one we're losing at the moment.

:v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzUFX2CzMI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tithin posted:

Is he really crowing about the fact that they're coming out marginally more quickly?

christ alive.

He's also confirmed (but only after he was asked about it) that even though we're getting those Pfizer deliveries faster than expected we still won't be opening up vaccines for the under 40s any sooner
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-09/scott-morrison-national-cabinet-covid-vaccine-nsw-outbreak/100281492

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raged posted:

So how many cases is NSW going to have today? My guess is 56.

Lolie posted:

I'm guessing that it will be over 50.

This thread is full of doomposters!!!! :tinfoil::argh:

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1413664287743037444

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

We've got 20,000 close contacts in isolation. Some of them are going to test positive.

I was joking, there's undoubtedly dozens more out there already that haven't been found yet :ssh:

Infinitum posted:

26 cases out in the community.

lol :rip: all of July

They always phrase this data very carefully so that people grab onto that number but in actuality only 13 of these new cases had been self isolating the whole time they were infectious and 37 of them were out in the community for some or all of their infectious period.

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1413664293833220098

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 10, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Infinitum posted:

Lets go for 69 today!

Keep things fun and fresh.

Too low, the virus is running way ahead of you

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1414026700841644036

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

489 people have been infected during this outbreak so far. We're hitting 500 for sure today.

Now up to 566 known cases, 52 of those bad enough to require hospitalization

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1414026718407393285

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Laserface posted:

How do they still not understand that they problem isn't wanting to get the Jab, it's the availability?

Advertise all you fuckin like, give us free schooners to bribe us - it's not the convincing we need it's the supply.

The LNP government is deliberately trying to shift the blame onto individual actors instead of themselves. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a comparison of how all the various Aus outbreaks shaped up in their first few weeks/months. It was a little out of date so I added in the last 3 days of cases from the Bondi outbreak, which is currently up to 566 cases on day 24: