Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lizard Combatant posted:

The cast could be a screeching mob of barely sentient pigmen and it wouldn't give me quite the sinking feeling as seeing the same roster of key creatives, who have failed upwards their whole careers, again back in charge.

Cast don't really matter. They're successful working actors, there's a baseline of competence in that field at least.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for another Goldsman and Kurtzman outing.
I've been of the firm opinion that Akiva Goldsman is a terrible, terrible writer since the frickin' Nineties, and nothing with his name on it that I've seen has ever been any good. Yet somehow he keeps getting high-profile, highly-paid work in Hollywood. It's one of those things that makes me question reality in a "What? But... just... what?" way, because clearly other people have a very different perception of it than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So now I've seen two episodes of Discovery, the first and (to date) last. And yyyyeah, I don't think I'll be bothering to fill in the gaps.

Things I liked (or that at least made an impression):
Pike
Saru
Michelle Yeoh
Waspishly sarcastic admiral lady
The tumbling fight scene when the gravity malfunctioned
The big closeup on the actual, literal rocks that came from an exploding console :laffo:

Things I didn't:
Everything being rushed and frenetic for no particular reason
The Michael Bay "gently caress the frame" approach to shooting, editing and VFX
The feeling that everything is way more advanced than it should be for a TOS prequel (especially the Enterprise)
Starships being fighter carriers
"Now let's never speak of Discovery again"
Burnham - the main character - was just kind of... there.

The biggest question I was left with was: why didn't they build the entire Enterprise out of whatever they used to make the blast doors? Because Pike was standing ten feet from a multi-megaton antimatter explosion and it didn't even mess up his Keir Starmer hair-sweep. :v:

Pike and co made me interested in the idea of Strange New Worlds, but knowing the same people are behind it... maybe not.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"We're going back to some of Gene Roddenberry's own concepts for Discovery season 3, what with adventurers finding themselves in an anarchic far future. Say hello to... Captain Dylan Hunt!" [beat] "No, the other Dylan Hunt."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I smiled at "You almost phasered me!"/"Nah, it was set on stah..."

Trailers for animated comedies seem especially prone to short-selling them by cramming in the most OTT out-of-context gags. The first trailer I saw for Futurama (on Fox, which I caught when visiting LA before the show reached the UK) was shrill and awful and centred on basically a masturbation joke, and it was shown in every commercial break. Almost put me off the show before it started.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I feel old. That was amusing enough in a sensible chuckle kind of way, but it felt like it was running at 2x speed, with any silence between lines or even words clipped out. It was almost exhausting to watch.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ramadu posted:

are all of you grandpas or something
As of last year, er, yeah. (Came as a shock to me as my son's only five, but that's the wonder of stepchildren! :haw: )

Never seen Rick & Morty, but does it have the same frenetic "somethingmustbehappeningeverysinglesecond" pace as the Lower Decks clip?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TheCenturion posted:

"While breaking the story." That's the problem.

If you're going to have a 10-episode prestige-style show, to my mind, you start with ten completed, coherent scripts. If on script four you realize that something isn't turning out the way you want, you go back and edit the other scripts to fit your change.
All the more so when the show's being made for a streaming service rather than a network. There shouldn't be any broadcast deadline that absolutely has to be met, no matter what. But even now, TV seems to be stuck in the mindset that if it's not being written on the fly, then the writers are being paid to do nothing. "Thinking? Planning? That's not work! Get your rear end back to that keyboard, slacker!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed it, though definitely agree about being a touch bothered by characters acting like cartoons instead of people, like in the bar when Eugene Cordero and his date decide to keep casually chatting while their fellow crew members are turning into monsters in the middle of a chaotic outbreak. I mean of course they are cartoons, I get it, but it definitely feels like it breaks the reality a bit. Still, a minor complaint on the whole.
Ugh, you just gave me a Hyperdrive flashback (main characters obliviously carry on a conversation while crew members are gibbed by a monster right behind them). And it didn't even have the excuse of being a cartoon. God, what a waste of talent and potential that show was.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Two episodes in and, yeah, I'd keep watching, which is better than I managed with Discovery. It's not making me laugh out loud, but I'm a miserable bastard who rarely does. Maybe it's just the comfort of going back to the TNG era.

Edit: put it this way, I can remember Lower Decks' theme tune, generically Trekkian as it is. Discovery's theme? Not a loving clue.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 16, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
LDS 1x03 was... decent enough. It got some smiles out of me, so did its job. Faint praise, I know, but I still like it more than what I've seen of Discovery.

Mariner's constant wilful insubordination kind of bugs me, though. I know it's a comedy, but why the gently caress would anyone senior let her leave the ship/her deck/the brig? "She's the captain's daughter" would work a lot better as a reason if the captain seemed even remotely to like her. As it is, she's basically an organic Bender who's somehow getting even more leeway for bad behaviour. (Well, apart from eventually getting dragged off to the brig for a trivial breach of regulations.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Let's hire a great actor as our villain, then completely bury his face under prosthetics, muffle his voice, and not bother to explain any of his motivations until halfway through Act 3!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
CBS is scheduling Discovery for prime time because covid has meant its usual shows (NCIS, etc) haven't started production.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I don't see where all the hate is coming from for this episode; they toned down the manic pace slightly, had a proper Trekkian sci-fi gimmick with the generation ship and terraforming goop, and made Mariner a bit less insufferable by putting her on the back foot and showing more of the relationship between her and Carol. Plus Tendi actually got to do something for once. It was the most solid ep so far, for me.

Best gag was Boimler's hot-mic moment with his combadge, though. How do they know when you've stopped talking to the person at the other end?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Ep 5 is gonna have this ship:

Looks pretty good there, hopefully we get some better angles.
From that angle, it's a less gawky, TNG-movie-era version of the Cerritos itself.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I suppose the question is whether Lower Decks is going to take the 'always maintain the status quo' approach and have the characters set in stone, or actually allow some development over time. They've got two seasons guaranteed, so they have the opportunity to do the latter - if they choose.

Futurama and Red Dwarf, the closest other shows to LD, both let things change to some degree over time. Fry and Leela got closer, Rimmer became fractionally less of a bell-end, and so on. 'Moist Vessel' (oh hey, I just realised how that covers both the A and B plots! :haw: ) made Mariner, who until now had basically been a less funny Bender, a little bit more rounded, so maybe they're going to develop the characters. Maybe. (They did advance Tendi from 'friendly non-entity' to 'Phoebe Buffay in space', after all.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

shades of eternity posted:

Maybe it's off camera syndrome, but I think I'm enjoying the upper decks cast more then the lower decks.

Boimler I like immensely, but hits a little too close to home.
"The guy who has a dream and wants to do everything properly to achieve it but is constantly hosed over by circumstances or the assholes around him" is like the lead character of 90% of sitcoms.

In the other 10%, he's more like Arnold J Rimmer.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, that was the best episode yet, and I liked last week's a lot. Just wish they'd mix up the character groupings rather than always having Boimler/Mariner and Tendi/Rutherford.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Ascension episode helped flesh out her personality pretty well, I thought. I've definitely met a few people like her IRL - the whole "I'm obsessed with figuring out why this 1 person out of 1000 doesn't like me" thing.
Can't remember if it was in this or the other Trek thread, but the ascension episode made me think of Tendi as a space version of Phoebe from Friends. She seems nice and friendly, a bit ditzy, has her own unique perspective on everything... but if you piss her off in some way she will gradually make your life into a living hell - without even necessarily realising she's doing anything wrong until the train has flown off the tracks, in flames, into a canyon.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think it's great that LD's showrunner takes the attitude of "gently caress you, TAS is canon, and I'm going to cram in as many things from it as I can!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
By the time of Lower Decks, Q is no longer anon.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

Other reasons this episode was better: Mariner and Bomlier were dialled back like 50%. They're a lot more watchable when they're Futurama-dysfunctional rather than Rick & Morty-dysfunctional.
I've never seen Rick & Morty, but the more I hear about it the less I want to. It just sounds appallingly cynical and nihilistic and cruel and "oh, does this OFFEND you?" :smug: edge-lordy. (Twentysomething me would probably have loved it, but now...)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The latest episode really dialled back the manic "everything must happen at turbo speed GAG after GAG after GAG!" pace of the first couple of episodes, and for the better. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an internal appraisal once the initial eps were mostly finished, and they realised they could get away with chilling out a bit.

(Watch the next episode return to the original punch-you-in-the-eyes hysterical pacing.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Bloop posted:

Just imagine the number of lower decks crew that rotate in and out of the Enterprise

Of course stories about their doings spread virally and are also comically distorted from time to time

Also Mariner herself was on the drat Enterprise at some point
I'd been wondering how old Mariner is supposed to be to have experienced all this crazy stuff yet still be in the same age range as relative and actual newbie officers like Boimler and Tendi, and it struck me: maybe she was a Wesley and Freeman was on the Enterprise's night shift. It's a decade in-show since the D was destroyed, but Mariner doesn't come across as 10 years-plus older than her bunkmates. (If she is and she's still acting the way she does, that's... kinda sad and pathetic.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Who played Mariner's captain friend? Her voice sounded familiar, but I didn't see the credits because, uh, reasons.

The show has really found its feet now, it seems. The Dog was a great B-plot (and my five-year-old son absolutely loved her, even in Thing mode), the pacing has settled down and found room to breathe, the past-Trek references aren't screamed into your face, and the flow of the storytelling and humour seems more confident. The match cut leading into Boimler's "-was what they were yelling!" was a perfectly-timed bit of comedy, as was the follow-up with the Edoan's "Boimler. Brad Boimler. Right here!" [three arms point at him]

On a personal level, the sheer comforting nostalgia of having the right sound effects for everything (ie, TNG's) has probably helped me warm to the show as well.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 18, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
[Checks list] The final season of Castle! I knew I recognised her voice...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Enterprise also recycled scripts from previous shows. The difference was that said scripts had actually been filmed, sometimes less than a year earlier. :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Something about Ransom's design has unsettled me from the start, and I've realised: it's his chin. No matter what angle he's seen from, it always points away from camera. Dude's a walking spatial anomaly.

Also, is he related to Rudy "shovellin' aliens into my warp core" Ransom from Voyager?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

Every time I see a warp core I think about how nobody ever remarks on the sheer insanity of having a matter-antimatter reaction happening right next to people working. There isn't even a wall.

I guess it's a situation where if something goes wrong it doesn't matter how many walls you're behind anyway. But it still feels like operating a nuclear reactor from inside the reactor.
It's antimatter, so really you could be operating it from Ten-Forward with exactly the same degree of risk.

Trek (and sci-fi in general) really underestimates just how powerful a matter/antimatter explosion would be. A single photon torpedo (1.5kg of antimatter) should be well in excess of the 50 Mt Tsar Bomba. And a starship carries thousands of tons of the stuff.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A.o.D. posted:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As far back as TOS it gets stated that a single starship is powerful enough to sterilize an entire planet by itself. This gets restated various times across the other series.
One of the James Blish TOS adaptations (I think 'Operation: Annihilate!') - which were often based on earlier script drafts than were filmed - has the Enterprise letting rip with a "planet-wrecker", which does exactly what it says on the tin. Just what an exploration vessel should be carrying!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Martytoof posted:

I got Hunt for Red October.
Shame here. We shail into hishtory!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

I don't think this argument holds water. Look at the opening credits of any episode of Law & Order, or the end credits of TNG or whatever. Between executive producers, co-executive producers, associate producers, assistant producers and the like, you'll easily see a dozen or more names with those titles.
Most of these titles are just for writers with varying degrees of seniority, though. Only a few "producer" credits have any real power. (I sold the TV rights for something that if it gets picked up will entitle me to a "consulting producer" credit, even though my say over the show will be basically zero.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

pyrotek posted:

It certainly seems like that was the intention. Maybe what they were setting up was similar to the fan-theory that Picard would die and the crew would name the ship Picard and they would go on further space adventures after. You can keep pretty much the whole ending and make Picard the ship's AI or something so Stewart could just do voice acting. I could see CBS executives hearing that idea and telling them that there was no way they were renewing the show without Stewart.

Or, maybe Stewart told them he would only do one season then changed his mind?
Make Picard the ship's AI, who appears as a face on a screen.

And as a hologram.

And as a perfect android replica who can go on adventures with the crew - wait, this sounds familiarly Roddenberryish.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Arc Light posted:

Wow, that's the first time I thought of Andromeda since about two minutes after the show ended.

Andromeda had an even more tragic disparity between its potential and the final product. Even Picard didn't have that kind of gulf.
Andromeda was just starting to come together and get interesting and reveal that it was building towards some bigger, long-term plot arcs... then Sorbo went to the studio and said "This show should be entirely about me - I mean, my character - being cool and awesome and kicking rear end and having all the other characters say how amazing I am - I mean, my character is." And the execs nodded and went "you're the star, Kevin, whatever you want". And that was the end of that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That was the best Lower Decks yet. The show has evolved and found its footing staggeringly fast - considering how manic and loud and sub-Family-Guy-"hey, remember this?"-reference-y the first episode was, it's almost a different show.

And holy poo poo, serial storytelling out of nowhere - wait, only one more episode left? Dammit!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It just struck me: it's not an uncommon trope in SF and fantasy for a hero to have to face a personification of their dark side who points out all their worst flaws, and becomes a stronger person as a result of gaining self-knowledge.

In this case, Mariner is her own dark side, and gains self-knowledge by having her reflection remind her of all her good aspects. I like it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow. 'No Small Parts' was loving fantastic.

And I did not see them blowing the status quo completely to pieces to end the season. Shaxs dead, Rutherford amnesiac and de-cyborgised, Mariner and Freeman reconciled and working together, Boimler actually getting his promotion and leaving the ship. Where the hell are they going to go now? And how long before I can find out?

The pointed line about things in Starfleet not staying the same forever, right after criticising it for inattentiveness, was a pretty direct lead-in for Picard, right?

Edit: the TNG theme kicking in at full blast when Riker came to the rescue was a genuinely great Star Trek moment, comedy series or no.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 8, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The moment when a ship full of people we've met before, however briefly, gets ripped apart and explodes in an almost disturbingly beautiful way with the loss of everyone aboard was atypically dark for Trek in general, never mind LD. Light comedy, light comedy, EVERYONE DIES SCREAMING.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So how are they going to have Captain (not Admiral) Janeway as a regular in Prodigy, based on the premise? The ship's Mark 2 ECH?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
:haw: They've all got the lovely little triangular "generic alien ship" that appeared a lot in TNG and DS9 at their core amongst the roided-out guns and engines. (Said ship was, of course, used for the Pakleds in 'Samaritan Snare'.)

Edit: just to add that I love the use of colour in these shots. It's like Chris Foss's Star Trek.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So what is the (real life) history of the Titan? Why is it only considered canon now? Has it appeared in fan stuff before or something?
Mentioned in Nemesis, designed as part of a competition by a fan for the covers of the book series, so semi-canon until now.

And it's also great that LD is bringing TAS back into canon, bit by bit. Caitians! Edoans! Giant Spock! (Incidentally, my young son is watching TAS on Netflix, and loving it.)