Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr555KUaDes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What is the ship in the foreground? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Travis Mayweather just appears to be piloting the La Sirena in several scenes. He says nothing, and no one acknowledges him.

You mean the Emergency Evasive Maneuvers Hologram?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kenneth Mitchell, who played a bunch of Klingons on Disco was diagnosed with ALS.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shut up and JAM! posted:

drat that sucks. How do they convert American Sign Language to Klingon Sign Language?

It's Lou Gherig's disease

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of set design and user interfaces, was there ever a reason given that Disco had these awesome hologram comms and they’re never used again over viewscreens other than Lorca didn’t like them?

Other than the obvious “lol no way can we retcon these so let’s never mention them again”

Apparently they hosed up the Enterprise, which is why it had to go into repair during S2 and Pike could captain the Disco.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wild Plot Speculation Time (I don't actually think this will happen) Seven activates the Cube like Hugh wanted, but she also activates some sort of re-assimilation protocol. She then turns the Cube inward and assimilates everybody on the ship. Narek, his resolve wavering due to his love for Soji, has his resolve hardened by the assimilation of his weird creepy sister.

Please god don't let any of that be true

Didn't incest sister beam off the cube? Or did she just go somewhere else on it?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

For real. I think I mentioned this before, but there is this really good episode of Cheers where Kate plays this young ambitious Boston politician. She's really cool and downright dashing. It really paints a different type of Captain that Mulgrew could have played.

Janeway should have honestly been more Kirk-like.

Not sure if the bosses would've allowed Kate to rip her shirt in every fight scene

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

The Ibn Majid looks like if you crossed a Sovereign with the Discovery.

It looks a bit like the USS Emmet Till

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Did they just use one model for all the federation ships? It felt like everywhere I looked I saw the same ship, to the point I thought they were making more holograms.

I guess we're going back to the TOS-era of 'Starfleet has only one class of ship'

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How many of Disco's problems would have been solved by changing the Klingons to some new, unheard-of-before species?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

Somebody did a mock-up of what the fleet should've been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc

Where are all the ships made from cast-off bits of other models kits?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CaveGrinch posted:

Building a fleet of same ships isn’t necessarily the worst idea... maybe the Federation thought it worked perfectly well for every other major power in the galaxy.

It's like in Command & Conquer where you build an army of Mammoth Tanks just to flex.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

It's definitely good to have new ships, but there should be a mix with some old in there too. We're talking about what, 25 years after Nemesis? That's not long in the lifespan of ships. We don't have to see Mirandas and Excelsiors and Ambassadors, but maybe have a couple Intrepids and Promethesuses and Sovereigns with a bunch of completely new ships.

We don't talk about what ex-Admiral Janeway did with the fleet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

According to Eaglemoss Collectibles, one of the Section 31 ships from Disco is the Nimrod-class.

Make of that what you will.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I don’t know about Voyaer. It’s not BAD, but so far in S1 it’s downright bland. The first few episodes had my finger hovering over the FF button 90% of the time *cough* Vulcan murder mystery *cough*

I just outright skipped a few based on the Netflix summary blurb too.

DS9 S1 was bland too, but I was far more attached to the characters and setting. I won’t lie, I dig the fact that it’s set on a ship again, and I’m really enjoying monster of the week, but .. this isn’t great writing.

Onto S2 soon, at least.

Voyager's greatest failing is that it is so bland and forgettable. It's not even memorably bad.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I enjoyed the RLM video but the last five minutes or so are spot loving on.

Man it would be cool if Strange New Worlds actually brings back the optimism.

Akiva Goldsmith told Variety that SNW would be more episodic and more optimistic. But take this with a grain of salt.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-picard-season-2-spoilers-akiva-goldsman/amp

Picard S2 "spoilers". The biggest one is that they're gonna write the drat thing ahead of time instead of while shooting.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"Jean-Luc, I..." *explodes*

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

I hadn't watched the trailer up to now based on other peoples bad impressions and it looks...fun?

Sure I'm not expecting greatness but it looks like it has a genuine love of the franchise.

Goons hate fun.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0mcp5LzlA

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

So according to the WGA site, we have titles and writers credits for 11/13 episodes for Disco season 3. I’ve listed the titles in no particular order, since they’re alphabetical in the WGA listings. A few are...interesting.

That Hope is You
Forget Me Not
Scavengers
Outside
The Sanctuary
The Citadel
The Good of the People
Die Trying
Terra Firma Part I
Terra Firma Part II
Unification III

Wasn't there a Unification III in the fake list of Picard episodes?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gotta wonder how often Starfleet officers have to ask "Did I eat flesh?"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Astroman posted:

Something tells me Kate Mulgrew would love hamming it up in a VA role as a parody of Janeway in a Trek comedy.

Admiral Yawenaj

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Watching through the 90s X-men cartoon on D+ and it's almost embarrassing how much better and old-rear end cartoon is at long-form "prestige" storytelling than Disco and Picard were.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The only LDS character I dislike is Mariner, but that's because she's written to so much of a rules-breaking badass ace that she comes off as a Mary Sue more than anything.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Wasn’t that kind of how the episode began? She left a drunken Klingon that she knew was a kleptomaniac alone in a shuttle in a dangerous part of town despite Boimler’s repeated admonishments and ended up loving up their whole mission. Yeah, she helped Boimler fix it, but none of it would have happened if it weren’t for her.

Except she was never called out on it. The end of the episode is her going "I did a good thing by helping my friend get his confidence back!" and not "Wow, I'm sorry I screwed everything up and got you pretty badly injured because I was more concerned with showing my old friend a good time rather than making sure he got where he needed to go."

In order for a good comeuppance episode to happen it would need to end with her a) recognizing that she made a mistake and b) suffering repercussions that she actually cares about.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, with the ensign team-ups being the same in the second episode I was really expecting them to flip the dynamic. I think it'd go a long way to fixing people's complaints with both characters. As it stands having Mariner get two wins in a row makes it feel like the show is endorsing her point of view.

This is exactly my feeling too.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think there needs to be a big dramatic arc where she gets her comeuppance, but I do think there should (and I believe there will be) at least one episode where the dynamic is reversed; Mariner gets the gang in over their heads by being a know-it-all, and Boimler's book smarts gets them out of it. That's all it really takes - you hit the note that Mariner isn't perfect, and you hit the note that Boimler isn't worthless, just oblivious and whiny.

I really hope there is.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New info on Strange New Worlds and Short Treks

Main thing is Alex Kurtzman saying that SNW will return to TOS style "planet-of-the-week" stories.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

It’s Family Guy in space. Ironically, unlike The Orville.

One dimensional, serving up jokes that people love or hate, polarizing.

LDS is nowhere near as racist or misogynistic as Family Guy is.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Riker goes to the holodeck to beat off, and loads a program that’s just two other Riker’s also beating off. They all look and wink at each other.

Only two?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mokotow posted:

It’s been done in Billions, check it out.

Also the new She-ra

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

Songs will be sung of this day!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Should have a long scene where the camera whips around a bunch of Borg passageways and have each Borg we encounter offer information regarding shield strength and weapons targeting and several thousand different cultural interpretations of optimal tactical actions. Make it like the scenes where the bridge crew are shouting tense damage reports and commands, but literally every single drone on the cube gets a say

Only if the camera does loppty-loops and corkscrews.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Really hope the robots in the intro means their tying 'The Burn' into PIC synthetics poo poo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

blastron posted:

I liked basically everything except the body count in that fight and how okay Burnham was with it. I feel like she, an idealist from a brighter time, should have asked Booker “do these have a stun setting”. Then Booker could have said “how old-fashioned” and vaporized a dude and we’d have the same fight. Maybe it was in but got cut for pacing reasons? I don’t know.

They did a really good job of setting up plot beats. Book was established as having life-related powers when he did the trick with the plant so it didn’t feel like an asspull when he did it to the worm. Burnham spent a good thirty seconds of screen time at the start of the episode going over her name and rank so when she identified herself to Sahil it wasn’t jarring that she just spouted her serial number off the top of her head. This is a lot more care than I remember seeing in S1 and S2 so I’m hopeful that script quality will be higher overall.

Michael should have found a TNG style phaser and spent the whole fight trying to figure out how it works.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Finally watched the new Disco. The show rarely felt like Star Trek but now it's at the point where it feels like something other than Star Trek. In this case, Mass Effect. This is now a Mass Effect show.

No, that's Picard

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gonz posted:

So, should I assume that Control has somehow weaseled it’s way into Detmer’s cyborg implants or something?

Please God no.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Roadie posted:

Somehow this got me thinking on a tangent, picturing an ordinary workaday Klingon complaining about how that all honor and battle crap is something that only the rich and established get to indulge in.

Archer's lawyer in an ENT episode basically does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what park in Toronto they filmed the tree scene at.

Speculation! The Trill are not allies, and the Trill Starfleet Admiral was trying to warn people about the Trill's plans. But they got killed somehow, and the anklyosarus ended up in Adira who can't access the memories that deep so the warning is unheeded.

The Trill caused the Burn