Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I liked Star Trek Picard. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It wasn't GREAT Trek but it wasn't AWFUL Trek either. (Discovery easily claims the "awful" crown.) The first season was okay, the second season was good, and the third season was really good. I'm a pretty hard core Star Trek fan and have been for decades - remember Soran's Trilithium missile from Generations? I OWN THE THING. Yes, the one from the movie. As someone who has lived Star Trek in its many incarnations for a very long time dating all the way back to TOS, there are shows I adore (TNG, SNW), there are shows I like (TOS, DS9, LDS, PIC), and there are shows I very much dislike (DIS, VOY, ENT).

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of valid criticisms against PIC - many of which I agree with - but there's also plenty of people who just LIVE to hate poo poo. I'm also a huge fan of the Fallout game series, and I'm already seeing the same toxic bullshit from the fandom after the first trailer for the upcoming TV show was released. "This is going to be terrible!" and "gently caress this show!" criticizing it as unwatchable because it's allegedly missing stuff from the lore or that it simply can't possibly be good, basing that decision on nothing more than a 2 minute trailer. (And production stills have already made many of those complaints moot, since poo poo they're insisting is missing actually IS represented in the show.)

There's not a lot to be happy about in this world, but I don't ever understand the drive for people intentionally finding reasons to be UNhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Picard sucked and you're stupid

You know, that makes a lot of sense.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I hope we could at least agree that Mike Okuda did his usual incredible job with the updated LCARS visuals. Because holy poo poo.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

CPColin posted:

Yeah, Okuda stays winning

Plus he's just a good guy. He's a really good guy. He's a great guy. When I first got the missile I had dropped him a line to see if there was any information he could give me about how it was constructed (specifically the paint) and his ideas on the right way to restore the thing, and he actually got back to me. We chatted briefly and unfortunately the information he could provide on it was limited since much of the construction was handled by Anthony Fredrickson and that the painting was most likely a custom blend whipped up by the paint department. But the info he gave me was helpful nonetheless.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Thranguy posted:

It's going to literally be the script from his episode of Extras.

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I really hoped Brent Spiner could redeem Master of Disguise when I was kinda forced to watch it many years ago.

He couldn't. That remains the worst movie I have ever seen.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Super Deuce posted:

Cranston was good for the part, but when I watched it first I thought it would have been better if it were Spiner.

No way. Cranston killed it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

holefoods posted:

he was too likable after how kenneth talked about him the whole time

That's a fair point, but we ended up finding out it's because Kenneth didn't ever WANT to like him.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

what

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

ashpanash posted:

I ain't watching that poo poo. You don't have to either.

Same. As a long-time Trek fan, I have zero interest in the S31 show. Hated the concept of S31 all the way back to when DS9 dreamed it up.

Looking forward to more SNW and LDS.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Kesper North posted:

Grandpa did too much LDS in the '20s, now he won't stop shouting lOwEr dEcKs lOwEr dEcKs and won't take his shoes off before jumping in the pool

I hope my twilight years are that awesome.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Plotac 75 posted:

That's suspiciously close to "They're retconning all of Discovery".

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

Q spinoff may be the worst idea I've ever heard. I love me some Q but holy poo poo he is not a character you can base a show around. He's the salt, not the steak.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it would be a Q show. Only that it would be a show where Q shows up from time to time.

Alchenar posted:

Matalas: "I found a way to bring you back"

The way back: Q appears, refuses to explain.

It was extraordinarily self-evident. Q started hopping around the future before he died.

Hence the whole line about thinking "linear."

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Alchenar posted:

"One less passenger, well perhaps there will be a little power left for one last surprise..."

*S3 Cameo*

The surprise was bringing Elnor back. They explicitly mention that in dialogue.

I'm wondering if people actually watched the thing.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

External Organs posted:

Only if Andor loses

RIGGED AND STOLLEN

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I hope the end of Discovery is TNG-era Data waking up and realizing the entire series was a dream he had.

Newhart the gently caress out of it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

CPColin posted:

Remember when they reused the Captain's Log shot from TNG in Generations and even slapped a Captain's Log on it? And it looked like poo poo because they had to recolor it so much? Good times.

No.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

skasion posted:

Let Boutella play Chekhov. She’s already on the payroll and it will save makeup

Technically since it's an alternate timeline they can just simply just acknowledge that Chekov died.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

roomtone posted:

i dunno if i'd call the first contact theme being played for sweden raising the flag at nato an interesting development

or even interesting

or a development

it's really just a thing that happened cos somebody is a nerd and stupid.

"Hi everyone. Just dropping into the thread to tell you I hate fun. That is all. You may resume your day."

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I guess it didn't actually need explaining but I kind of like that they're addressing hey, why ARE all these species a bunch of mostly-compatible bipeds?

TNG did that decades ago with The Chase.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

What, you don't enjoy a Starfleet captain in the 32nd century shouting "for the win"?

Jesus I'm so glad I stopped watching that thing in the middle of S2.

Literally in the middle of an episode I got fed up, said out loud "I can't watch this poo poo anymore," stopped it, and never looked back.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Strange New Worlds worth watching?

Absolutely one thousand percent yes.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Ahh Paramount CBS.

"Let's pour tons of money into a mass-appeal revival nobody likes of a popular show from 30 years ago (Frasier), while we kill the more niche shows its fans are actually watching."

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

MikeJF posted:

McMahan said in an interview a while back he had plans through to a season 7.

Makes sense since that's when I figured it would end anyway, because all of the 24th century shows (TNG, DS9, VOY) ran for 7 seasons.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Starfleet Academy sounded like it had potential until they announced it was going to continue off the 34th-or-whatever century Discovery flipped into after the writers kept loving up not knowing how to make a prequel series. When that information was released, I lost interest completely.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Starfleet Academy show is already filming.

No it isn't.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

The_Doctor posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll do SNW 3 and 4 back to back, and then call it a day.

I don't think they're willing to give up SNW that easily.

Discovery isn't very good and Lower Decks/Prodigy were easy to cancel because they generally cater to a niche of a niche. SNW is Star Trek's flagship now and it's wildly popular.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wouldn't shock me if they alter/change the name of the show* once Kirk takes command, though.

The show will end at or just before Kirk takes command. We don't need a Captain Kirk show. We have TOS for that.

Pike's unfortunate incident doesn't happen for another 8 or 9 years in-universe.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

The Last Call posted:

Has Sybok ever been mentioned in the shows?

I know most are happy to forget he existed but if used right, there is potential there.

Yes, in SNW. There's even a shot of him from behind.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

dr_rat posted:

Shatner though, Shatner still got it!

Just you watch, he could re-do the gorn fight any day of the week!!!

He can't though. Neither of them can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hnBp7x2QAE

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I haven't watched Discovery since S2 because it's terrible, but every so often I skim some of the details posted here.

I can't believe the writers are STILL furiously milking the mirror universe. Amazing how out of all the imperial ships to survive 1000 years after the fact, OF COURSE it's the loving ISS Enterprise.

So glad I used my warp pod(?) to GTFO as early as I did. Holy poo poo.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Too bad they couldn't catch up to a escape pod from a 900 year old ship with their infinitely fast starship

To be fair, that's like expecting a modern automobile to be able to catch up to a Roman chariot.

Wait...

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Rubber Chicken posted:

Waves and Waves of Dumb

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

blastron posted:

Also, the last episode took place on the ISS enterprise because the Enterprise sets were right next door and sticking some swords on the wall is very cheap compared to building a new set.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have used literally any other ship name.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Seemlar posted:

It is on the Enterprise very specifically because it was as best possible lightly undoing or at least offering a little bit of welcome redemption to DS9's absolutely dogshit take on the Mirror Universe

It's lazy writing is what it is. And Discovery has been using the mirror universe as a crutch from the get-go.

DS9's handling was dumb and ultra camp but at least the actors had some fun with it. But as a concept it should have began and ended with Mirror, Mirror.

I'm praying SNW never touches it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
So I'm thinking about just buying Paramount myself. Hear me out...

I immediately shut down production on everything related to Big Bang Theory. I kill the Frasier reboot. I shutter the CSI and NCIS offshoots, sell Dora to Disney or Netflix, and trim any other shows with budgets that outweigh their popularity.

I renew The Late Show through Season 10. I renew Ghosts through Season 5.

I spin off all CBS reality television into its own org with a dedicated CFO and programming president. Reality TV universally sucks but it's cheap to make so it'll funnel cash into the network. Game shows will be included under that umbrella too.

Next up is Star Trek. I de-canonize Discovery and sell it as a non-canon fan fiction series to MAX. I cancel the S31 movie. I cancel the Starfleet Academy show. I renew Lower Decks through season 7. I renew Strange New Worlds through Season 7. I authorize a DS9 HD remaster and offer it for sale on iTunes. (It's way cheaper to do this upscaling poo poo now than it was when they did TNG, and digital distribution means no costs associated with packaging and selling physical media.)

I get all of Star Trek everything (sans Discovery) back on Paramount streaming. With the caveat they kill Chakotay, sure, even Prodigy I suppose. I've not watched past the first two episodes of Prodigy and it ain't my bag, but why the gently caress not. Some people like it.

I envision Trek content united with the rest of PCBS content. A sort of United Paramount Network.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

The Last Call posted:

Doesn't TBBT, CSI, NCIS and their spin offs make money and are usually pretty good ratings hits or staples of TV?

Maybe. I don't have access to the numbers but if they make money I'd keep them. But they also cost a lot to make and there's like 30 of each show, and I don't think we need NCIS Hawaii and NCIS Miami and NCIS New Orleans and NCIS Los Angeles and NCIS Backwater and CSI Vegas and CSI New York and CSI Miami and CSI Bumfuck.

The Last Call posted:

Also, what's the deal with Discovery.

The Last Call posted:

I only saw the first episode but the hate the show gets is, quite intense. I've tried to find out why but half the stuff I found were screaming about "the woke" and quite frankly that's a good way to know the person is a moron. Not to say the show might not have issues, but can people sum them up why in a way that isn't cringe worthy.

The people bitching about Discovery being "woke" or having a female lead or whatever are all idiots. Discovery sucks because it sucks. I like the cast. They all do pretty well with what they've been given. It's the premise and the writing that suck. "Ok let's make a prequel to Star Trek. (eats psilocybin mushrooms) We're going to hire maybe one person that knows anything about Star Trek and also a bunch of aspiring sci-fi writers that don't. (eats more psilocybin mushrooms) SPOCK NOW HAS A SISTER. Warp drive? No, that's somehow too limiting. We need to differentiate our show from the rest of the franchise. How will we set ourselves apart? (eats more psilocybin mushrooms) Our ship shouldn't zoom, it should spin. But the engines? No no no, I said no warp drive. We need... I'VE GOT IT! IT WILL BE A MUSHROOM DRIVE! WITH NIPPLE CLAMPS HOOKED UP TO A GIANT TARDIGRADE. OH MY GOD I AM TRIPPING SO loving HARD RIGHT NOW."

Eventually they realized they completely suck at making a prequel series, harder than Enterprise EVER sucked at making a prequel series. "How do we recover from this? We just can't figure this poo poo out. I'VE GOT IT! LET'S THROW THEM 900 YEARS FURTHER INTO THE FUTURE! That way we don't have to worry about figuring out how to prequel anymore! The Federation is in shambles because ALL WARP DRIVES EVERYWHERE SPONTANEOUSLY EXPLODED! (eats psilocybin mushrooms) GOD THESE ARE GOOD poo poo."

I tried sticking with Discovery as long as I could but I shut it off in the middle of an episode mid-way through season 2, saying out loud to no one in particular, "I can't watch this poo poo anymore."

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

8one6 posted:

I wouldn't kill the Starfleet Academy show, but I'd tell them it's no longer going to be a 32nd century show.

You're hired.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

only seven seasons of lower decks? cowardice imo

7 is the magic number. TNG had 7, DS9 had 7, VOY had 7, and the LDS showrunners have plans through 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Khanstant posted:

Hard pass. Why decanonize Discovery? It doesn't even touch the other Treks.

Also cancelling poo poo I don't like is a bad move.

Well I'm the one with $15 billion dollars to buy the network so I'm the one that decides what stays and what goes.