Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just keep my toilet plumbing in poor condition so the water level reaches my rear end when I flush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

So, is now a good time to replay The Talos Principle?

Open a window so your pets can get out when you pass

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GolfHole posted:

so did anyone figure out how covid toes work

cause i def got those so like, waiting for more info, here
if toes are orange then there's a buildup of carotene so like, what do i do

thanks doctors

Take a shower if you find buildup on your toes you loving goon

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

remigious posted:

Hey guys I wasn’t sure where to ask this, but figured y’all may know: can you collect unemployment if you tell your job you are going to self isolate?

It depends on the state and your condition

Colorado lets you collect unemployment if you're in a vulnerable category and your workplace makes you interact with others. You can also collect if you live with vulnerable people and they won't make accommodations

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 5, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I see stuff like that and think maybe I'm taking this too seriously but then I find out a friend I haven't seen in years spent 63 days in the hospital, had to be put into a coma...dudes 29 and a powerlifter built like the mountain from GOT...i'm hosed if I catch this thing (he was released today)

i've spared a lol or two for the people who go on and on about how handsome and healthy and brave and fit they are and they got absolutely rocked by the rona

if athletic smart handsome people get it the worst then goons are gonna be a-ok

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

By taking the total confirmed deaths divided by the total confirmed cases.

Roylab stats from youtube because I'm lazy.

102,000~/1,745,000~ deaths/cases = 5.8ish%.

In the US.

so is the US under-testing or not

colorado has consistently said they expect there to be 10 cases for every 1 positive test

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think you need to be an epidemiologist to see the massive amounts of complaints about lack of testing over the last couple of months. the overall number for the country is problematic and nobody should be using it to come up with big fatality numbers, just like they shouldn't be using the recovery number for anything and freaking out over it

Colorado got good though; we're up to like 5,000 a day and the governor is practically begging people to get tested. my wife went to get one a couple days ago and it took like 10 minutes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bernie Panders posted:

i don't care, i want a loving drink

so get one at the liquor stores that never closed you stupid gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

central dogma posted:

Nice bait!

By the way, you can protest and wear a mask at the same time. Many people aren't doing it. Any ounce of preventative measure this country might have had a week ago is gone.

seeing way more masks now than I did at those pathetic lockdown protests

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Metals weren't that long. It was like a day or two for steel, roughly that for or maybe a bit longer for cardboard, longer for plastics, less for copper.

Does anyone know if that study has held up over time? Because the one obvious challenge there is that while there may be enough viable virus after X time to infect a cell culture (which is how they establish infectivity), that doesn't mean it's enough to infect a human who has an immune system.

no none of them have bothered to see whether people can actually get infected by a 6-day old virus remnant on plastic package. monkey studies are expensive

doesn't really seem like it's happened to anybody in countries that actually do contact tracing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

a pandemic

read the graph

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

Has anybody coined “The Disinformation Age” yet?

I suspect it’s a way bigger problem than what we’re just now realising. Most people I know are repeating bad information and insane conspiracies, even people I previously thought had reasonable critical thinking abilities are talking about dumb conspiracy theories.

Nobody seems to care about the motive of the message, just the punchline of the message. I thought the concept of doublethink was neat but implausible, but it’s everywhere now and it looks like it’s becoming the norm for popular thinking.

yeah like a million hack writers since the 80s

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

coke posted:

What do they think of New Zealand where the disease is eliminated with proper lockdown but still has 5G roll out, especially in big cities where most of their population lives

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/5g/

what do i think of the island nation strictly controlling communication and data leaving its borders HMMMM

it's like youre not even trying to think in contrarian

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

to describe the outbreaks in southern states i came up with 'the rebel knell'

you're welcome

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*muffled*

goooooooooool

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

there's a reason the indoor restaurant study is a bigger deal than the 'i walked past three people on the hiking trail' study

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I swear I'm not playing devil's advocate here -- what do we make of the fact that, while cases are up overall and skyrocketing in places like Florida, hospitalizations and deaths especially are still way, way down? Can that all be attributed to increased testing?

if you're talking about generally, not every state is Florida

if you're talking about just in Florida it's because it takes a week or more with covid for some people to get bad enough to go to the hospital and potentially several weeks after that to die

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

please do not have an anxiety attack because you saw target was out of citronella candles

feel free to have one if they run out of tiki torches though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've read it like people buying up all the tents cause they are about to get evicted en masse :shrug:

or people are buying outdoor recreational stuff because it's the safest form of recreation right now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

people really do not need to be expressing grave doubts over the concept of blocking your coughs and sneezes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

How so? If someone else releases a successful vaccine and your team is still 12 months away, or stuck in a dead end, then that was an unprofitable venture

Not if one is more effective than another, results in fewer side effects, can be used on more people (live vs. dead virus), is cheaper to produce, etc. The competitive space isn’t just “is a vaccine or not”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Fine but see the part where I mention dead ends; most efforts will never release a vaccine, clearly those ventures would be unprofitable

Ok

Companies are trying for a piece of the pie. That’s why it’s called a venture. I don’t think anyone’s arguing they’re guaranteed success.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

Within the last month or so, they also have found a drug treatment that has been shown, with actual evidence, to significantly reduce the fatality rate. Even if more people get infected, the fatality rate is probably going to go down. At least until the hospitals fill up or the drug runs out.

I was skeptical about how big of a deal this was because of loving course you're going to treat respiratory inflammation with a common steroid. Today I read an article from the University of Colorado saying they've been treating people with this since March.

So don't read too much into it.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Welp, this is genuinely loving terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlnD5hAaS3k

No matter what you do, you're still donna loving get it unless you literally live in a goddamn bubble. This was Georgia, one of the consistently highest states, but I mean....jesus. No one is safe I guess???? How many other accounts like these are there?

"I followed all the rules except I hung out with people in parking lots and hung around at a restaurant packed with folks not wearing masks"

Yeah real loving terrifying for anyone not doing those things

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 26, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Okay so, a case fatality rate - "case" meaning "you are sick enough for us to notice that you have the virus" - of 5% means that if half of infections are asymptomatic, the infection fatality rate is 2.5%. And if 80% of people who get it are asymptomatic, IFR = 1%. Where the gently caress did the CDC get that number of ~0.2% IFR then?

And does this suck as much as I'm suggesting here or am I oversimplifying somehow? Maybe not everyone with symptoms counts as a "case"? Anyway, still sucks.

lmao

Having a case requires testing and confirmation, so IFR includes untested positive cases as well as asymptomatic cases. The CDC believes the US has 10x more infections than we've been able to test for.

Because of the testing issues CFR mostly refers to "sick enough to go to the ER," not "sick and showing symptoms."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uncle Lloyd posted:

You are talking about the same FDA that revoked the emergency authorization to use chloroquine for Covid, despite Trump's pumping of it, yeah? I mean, I'm not saying blind trust in the government is the way to go here, but it's not as simple as saying that anything from DC is automatically malicious.

A lot of people died specifically and solely because the FDA gave that authorization in the first place despite nobody recommending it outside of Wuhan and some French quack.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

central dogma posted:

I hope it doesn't turn out that way. Pharma companies who've made serious mistakes in the past have lost enough stock value to be straight up purchased by competitors for pennies on the dollar. I hope that's enough of a risk that companies won't try to pass something like that off as a viable vaccine.

oxford is a public university not a pharma company

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

like just in case anyone forgot that the leading vaccine candidate undergoing worldwide trials is not actually from a pharma company

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01891-8

So uh... COVID-19 might give survivors diabetes.

I want to move to Mars, this planet is hosed.

this is nothing new for viruses; they've already been linked to type 1 diabetes

https://www.health.com/condition/type-1-diabetes/diabetes-enterovirus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I'd happily take a vaccine where there was an international scientific consensus of it being safe and effective. The entirely hypothetical Trump's Warp Speed Vaccine would probably not have this on day 1, but if that consensus was reached by day 180 then that'd be fine.

I don't think that makes me antivaxx, I'm up to date on all of my immunizations and I get a flu shot literally every year and would happily take the coronavirus vaccine if there was actual scientific backing for it.

Trump doesn’t have a private special vaccine. Warp Speed is just a monetary investment in the Oxford/AZ vaccine.

https://bgr.com/2020/05/21/coronavirus-vaccine-us-secures-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-drug-supply/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why is there anything but red

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

all we know of the man on the bridge is that he was seen playing a fiddle as he walked into the distance

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I tried to make this point in april and got roasted for it despite living in the #1 hotspot in the world at that time. Some of the responses were straight-up insane like people washing produce with dish soap level panic.

The only thing I get delivered is groceries every 2-3 weeks curbside style. I woulda been infected dozens of times at this point.

I don't trust people, not the carton of milk I have no intention of licking. I get the contradicting information being the source of confusion and all, but some of y'all were busting out microbiology PHDS that don't exist. I had a friend I stopped talking to who told me I should invest in life straws and keep a bathtub of emergency water...like nah, i'm going to keep doing the things that work in the countries that got hit first like hand washing and masks and not drive myself insane spraying bleach on everything constantly.

Scientists will never rule out something that is technically possible so you get a lot of people putting weight into some twitter PhD saying "food could technically be a source of transmission" even though nobody's actually accounted for cases or determine what kind of risk that vector poses

Since there are countries paying very close attention to how people are getting infected and spreading the virus with no better idea of how many people are contracting corona through Amazon packages it seems likely that the risk falls somewhere below killing yourself by walking down a staircase in socks

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol humanity doesn’t get freedom when powers fall, power voids fill up with assholes who take advantage and dominate with power
Source: all of human history

back to PLAGUE NEWS

https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1278413841756545031?s=21

yeah nobody outside of New York is posting panicky poo poo on Twitter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Has America ever been in this situation, maybe during the wars

Are you asking if America has ever been in a situation where a pandemic was filling hospitals

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t know man.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol at this guy begging me to be horrified at the south getting comeuppance

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smoobles posted:

A lot of goons live in the south and have lost loved ones so.. maybe not the best take. Roni doesn't care about politics

hey that's a bummer. anyway, the south has been leading the charge in calling the virus a fake democrat hoax so lol

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 4, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I feel like pumping gas is a higher risk.

You’re not next to anybody and you can wear gloves and wash your hands when you’re done. You think it’s going to jump off the handle at you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

n95s only magically become effective once you cross a glass door that says "inpatient"