Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

marktheando posted:

yeah flag loving just appeals to people who would never vote labour anyway, and turns off the people who actually might vote labour, ie left wingers and liberals

Yeah, there's this patronising, consultant-led view that the 'white working class' are a homogenous mass of flag-waving, poppy-brandishing, two-world-wars-and-one-world-cup nationalists and you appeal to them by flourishing this stuff at them, like a cat owner shakes a box of cat treats to get their cats obediently scampering into the kitchen.

It misses the facts that:

1) Ordinary voters can spot phoneys a mile off and correctly identify this bullshit as the tokenism that it is.
2) These sort of views are held less by actual working people and much more often by elderly middle-class home owners who inevitably vote Tory anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm the police, nurses and full-time parents who can all afford 24hr, live-in care for their children.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

multijoe posted:

It's cool he's not even been hit by a single major scandal, he's just been slowly deflating like a flat tyre as people realise what a waste of space he is

Starmer will never be PM for the simple reason that every time he's on tv, he looks massively uncomfortable and like he's apologising for something. The average disengaged British voter can smell weakness on a politician a mile off and Starmer loving radiates it lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I honestly dunno. The party's completely demoralised and the leadership clearly don't have a clue. I expected the Labour Right to be useless but I never thought they'd run things into the ground as rapidly and completely as this.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yes, with Labour now, you have the rather odd situation where the press and 'sensible' Twitter are continuing to big up an obviously failing leadership. We're seeing the first cracks in the facade, with occsssional columnists poking their heads up and saying: "actually... this is all a bit poo poo, isn't it?" but mostly, they're sticking with the line that this is all part of some well thought-out plan and Starmer's making Labour electable again.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MikeCrotch posted:

Piers Morgan has worked out how to ride the controversy line perfectly, by doing stuff to both annoy basically every demographic (i.e yelling at both "snowflakes" and Tories) but giving a little bit to everyone. He also knows when to pull back from the brink if he's skirting too close to unacceptability; see Katie Hopkins who thought it was her job to be Britain's Racist Aunt on TV and just sailed off the cliff because she couldn't reel it in.

The other thing about Piers Morgan is that he does take his lumps and just regularly gets humiliated, he doesn't try and weasel out of stuff (generally).

Yeah, he really is exceptionally skilled at maintaining the perfect level of obnoxious shittiness to maximise his visibility without ever getting sacked, arrested or sliding off into irrelevance. Very few people are able to do this consistently, over such a length of time: most attention-seekers get a single blaze of publicity before quickly sinking back into obscurity but Piers consistently bobs back up to the surface like an unflushable turd in a lavatory bowl.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If people remotely believed that Britain genuinely needed a nuclear defense, they'd be spending billions developing a nuclear triad of submarines, nuclear bombers and mobile land-based launchers, which is what you actually need to be reasonably sure of being able to respond to a 1st strike. But we're not, because they don't and we're sticking with our dumb submarines.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

oliwan posted:

I also just remembered that the british people all had a massive meltdown when Corbyn said that he wouldn't use nuclear weapons lol

It's more deluded Empire bullshit where having nukes proves that Britain's still important and someone like Corbyn coming out and bluntly saying that nukes are dumb and he'd never use them sends the gammons into a frothing rage of bruised egos.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

oliwan posted:

The Guardian

God, i loathe that loving weasel.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

all of them being hosed over by brexit is one of the few good things about it

Just imagine the tragedy of having to give up this lifestyle:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Heat, lager, Sunday roasts and hangovers, all in the company of bloated Boomers loudly boasting about their property portfolios and tax dodges.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bedpan posted:

from the outside looking in, and this is assuming Starmer is not literally a paid agent of the security services, is that Starmer thinks his job is to be the top manager of the labor party. Again, he thinks of his job as managing the labor party, not electoral success, reform, or even becoming PM.

He is a well credentialed modern aristocrat with the right friends and the right frame of mind. The system and the government are not his enemies, he wouldn't even see anything in need of reform, because he himself is a product of that same system and as a career high level manager in the government. A symptom of western hierarchical administrations, and he has fully imbibed these judging by his career, is that while the high level people must project an image, responsibility is in the hands of the worker. It is not Keir's responsibility to win; it is his responsibility to manage. The doing is accomplished or not accomplished by other people.

Yeah, in the d&d thread, we sometimes refer to him as the loyal Opposition for the same reasons: he's an Establishment figure who can't conceive of any other way of doing politics than accepting the current power balance and working within the existing system. Actually having the fierce ambition to replace the current government and do things differently is awfully disruptive and just not the thing to do, from his perspective.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People who really want to seize power take whatever situation they're in and find opportunities in it. If Starmer really wanted to be PM, he'd have spent the past year relentlessly weaponising Covid against the Tories, exposing every failure, exploiting every weakness, relentlessly hammering home the message that the government's response had been a disaster, and Labour could handle it much, much better.

He's done none of that, 'cos the fire isn't there and he doesn't really care about being PM that much. I'm not even sure why he wanted to be Labour leader tbh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

he's a member of the BoD now lol

You can tell 'cos he's always on Twitter now, labelling people's throwaway remarks as anti-semitic.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

XMNN posted:

look they were left a mess by Corbyn and if they do worse than him then that, and only that, explains why

Thinking about no matter how bad things got, Jeremy Corbyn never once said: "This is all Ed Millibands fault, actually".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gonadic io posted:

It's a tough race but by my reckoning she's the single worst guardian columnist.

She's the worst of the old guard for sure: she's not had an original thought in decades but she's left to knock out this dumb fan fiction every week, 'cos she's unsackable for some reason.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Way to show you're not rattled, guys.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rollie Fingers posted:

I’m so loving glad I got my parents a free TV license in January when my dad turned 75.

The BBC’s still poisoning his brain but at least they aren’t being paid £160 for it

I stopped paying mine 'cos I never watch TV any more and gently caress giving money to the state broadcaster to pump out the government line all day.

The BBC is entirely dedicated to pensioners these days anyway: the reason tv schedules today look remarkably similar to those of the 1970's is 'cos the only people still watching broadcast tv are the ones who've been doing it since the 1970's.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

LMBO I just read on BBC some of the recommendations of the race report, and it's a trip

- stop organisations from conducting unconscious bias and equality training programs
- focus on helping minorities emulate succesful behaviours of more successful ethnicities
- stop using the "Black and Minority Ethnic" designation and instead focus on individuals
- more help for the most disadvantaged white groups like young white males (not joking)
- Longer school hours to help with integration into majority society

I'm sure that'll fix racism right up.

The report is a sprawling, rather amateurish mess, that reads like it was cobbled together by 10 different people (because it was). Some of the contributers were sincere but out of their depth, others were blinkered dipshits and at least a couple were utterly cynical and intentionally using the report as a political weapon and those are the ones who I think had the biggest influence over the report. That, I think, is why the tone of the report swings from vague, unexceptional recommendations, to extrapolation from poorly-understood, rather cherry-picked statistics, to (what looks like to me) deliberate provocative trolling designed to generate headlines and make a big bang in the Uk culture wars.

It's achieved its primary purpose, in that white English people now feel far more confident in saying that racism was never the problem: it's people talking about racism that whips up all the conflict.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chuka Umana posted:

BBC was much better in the 70s judging from their old documentaries.

Like old music, where only the best hits still get played today, most of the BBC output was always poo poo but they did used to take their mandate to: "inform and educate" a lot more seriously and produce genuinely in-depth stuff that didn't insult the viewer's intelligence and attention span. These days, even their 'serious' programmes are incredibly lightweight by contrast.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

ok lets not gently caress around here. the big question is will kate and meghan both be at the D of E's funeral, and if so will they get into a brutal bloody punch up, because if so my money is on meghan kicking kate's head in

I think Kate would choke Meghan out with her powerful horseriding thighs

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I don't know if Kate rides horses but she looks exactly like the sort of posh girl who would.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

XMNN posted:

no, the guardian is categorically not left wing, it is a Liberal newspaper with a capital L and always will be

the mirror is probably the only actual left wing major newspaper, and even then that's fairly nominal as it's still a British tabloid

this country is sick and i pray that it dies soon

It's the paper for comfortably situated middle-class people who feel that they should pay lip service to changing things for the better but don't actually want anything to happen that might threaten their own privileged position in society. The mask came off after Jeremy Corbyn announced that he was going to get on and do the stuff that the Guardian had spent decades writing limp, hand-wringing articles about and they went completely mental at him.

I'm still mad about that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

This would make a cracking magical realist one-off drama about a scumbag London journalist whose loathsome imaginings take on a physical form.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dr Pepper posted:

Better 👏 things 👏 aren't 👏 possible.

It's this. Naive optimists foolishly hope for a better world: Realists understand that its all about managing the inevitable decline.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sudo rm -rf posted:

lol labour is never going to be in government ever again

They're going to shrink down to a permanent 15-20% of the vote, while never acknowledging it and continuing to insist that they're the main party of opposition and the only alternative to the Tories.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jel Shaker posted:

the tories are also going to soon implement some voter suppression methods more popular in the US, and i wouldn’t be surprised if labour start blaming third parties more and more when they keep coming up 5% short

Indignantly proclaiming that Labour's entitled to those votes and how dare people waste them on other parties lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The way it's being reported on is revealing: the general tone reminds me of the later Ed Milliband era, definitely veering into 'hapless' territory now.

But yeah, it also shows the utter futility of trying to appease the gammons: that demographic's already decided what they think of Starmer and they see his attempts to woo them as both insincere and painfully weak (which I do too, honestly).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It annoyed me how the media went from headlining Labour's alleged anti-semitism literally every loving day to completely and utterly dropping it as soon as Corbyn was gone and Starmer was safely ensconced as leader. The sheer speed and shamelessness of their switch from "most important story in the world" to "nothing to see here!"

And yes, I know Covid happened in the meantime but STILL, you'd expect at least the odd follow up article, just for some veneer of plausibility but no.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

gonadic io posted:

I'm starting to think that these criticisms may not have been entirely in good faith!

:eyepop:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I don't see it making a deal of difference: Boris's substantial support base already see him as a clownish, self-enriching chancer and they rather like that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
One of the more embarassing things about the Uk is the knowledge that we insist on keeping our dumb, inadequate nuclear 'deterrent' solely because it allows us to feel that we're still a big, important country, like it's some genocidal comfort blanket or something.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I say we move to land-based nuclear silos and locate them all in the Home Counties.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd say that's a pretty sick burn on Allegra Stratton but it's Peston so you just know he's 100% sincere lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Before neoliberalism:

After neoliberalism:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you think Labour's bad, wait until you see the ability of Northern Ireland's Unionists to unerringly choose the worst possible strategy on every single occasion.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, NI's Unionists often win battles but they ultimately lose every war, because they've got no strategy beyond intransigence.

They could have spent the last decade constructing a softer, 21st century version of unionism that involved strengthening economic and social ties with the mainland, while also opening up to the opportunities that would come from reaching out to the Irish Republic and building bridges there but nope: it's been the same old marches, symbolism and strident denunciations of anything that might involve progress.

Idiots.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the NI economy's a basket case that's highly dependent on subsidies from the central UK government. The traditional role of the unionist politicians has been to administer and distribute the loot to their allied interest groups, a role that's become progressively more marginal due to power-sharing with the republicans and the increasing disinterest in NI from Westminister.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They make a lovely couple :3: