Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Richard, but specifically the Richards who insist on going by the full name all the time. I've met decent Ricks and Riches, and I've even met a few Dicks who weren't actually dicks, but every Richard I've ever met has been an "I demand to speak with the owner" rear end in a top hat who calls waiters "the help".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sprue posted:

[Opening door then backing out in horror emoji]

I believe you are looking for : yikes :.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The sheer difference in scale makes any comparison worthless. If I lost 99% of my net worth I’d be homeless. If Bezos lost 99% of his net worth he’d still be a loving billionaire.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He has four roommates, so you can multiply internet and rent and such by 5 to get the real cost.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Can most people who don't live in Nevada even name a third city in it besides Vegas and Reno?

Carson City, because I memorized my state capitols as a kid, and Boulder City, because it's in Fallout: New Vegas.

I can't name a fifth, though.

Khizan has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Nov 6, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wouldn't that be "Told, you got."?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My issue with the "why is it a problem if they don't think it's a problem?" line of thought with depression and the like is that it's a condition that affects how you think and often leads to self-destructive behaviors. So is "I don't have a problem with my depression and don't want to treat it" a well-reasoned idea, or is it depression-induced self-sabotage?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"Nylons and lipstick" are rather sexualized indicators of exiting childhood, though. If I'm told that somebody can't get into Narnia because now they're only concerned about paying bills and getting promoted, I'm gonna assume it's because they've lost their imagination or sense of childlike wonder or whatnot. But if you tell me it's because now she cares about nylons and lipstick, I'm gonna assume it's "she's had sex and now she's a ruined woman" type bullshit.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I searched for the image and apparently it's a terrible lifehack to stop a computer from going to sleep, because the second hand of the watch will keep triggering the laser of an optical mouse.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's nothing wrong with that, though. CO2 tank, regulator, and a hose with a carbonating cap. It's a pretty common setup.

There's really only two possible dangers with it. The first is the same way that any tank of pressurized gas is dangerous, in that if you somehow shear the valve assembly off it'll turn into a rocket.
Ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEJGNLTo84&t=31s.

The second is if you crack that tank wide open in an unventilated area you'll flood the area with CO2 and it'll pose a suffocation risk.

If you avoid those two things there's no real risk outside of overpressurizing a plastic bottle, which will make your ears ring and soak everything in seltzer water. If you're worried about this, do it outside and wear hearing protection.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Skwirl posted:

The number of people who listen to RATM without ever actually listening to any of the lyrics loving astounds me. They're Paul Ryan's favorite band for gently caress's sake.

I've got a co-worker who did whole the "RATM used to be so cool when I was younger, why'd they have to get so political" thing when they came on the radio while we were driving somewhere. The look on his face when I told him "Man, we're the same age. This song came out when we were in high school. Nothing's changed but you." was pretty loving great.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is his best, because the ending of it has the protagonist leaning that it's okay to be Welsh.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I use bag balm for cycling, but it's also sold on the skin care isle at CVS so I don't think that's the same

It's the same thing. Bag Balm was originally intended for use on cow udders that had been irritated by milking, but it 's just a salve made of lanolin and vaseline so it got used for everything on humans as well. Sunburns, cracked hands, diaper rash, etc. The cow udder is the "bag" that it's named after, it's a balm for the cow's milk bag.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ror posted:

Driving golf carts irresponsibly is one of the great joys in life. Until you flip it and get paralyzed, as is tradition.

The most common golf cart injury I see in EMS is broken ankles. People start to tip it and think 'I can stick my foot out and catch it before we fall' and then it falls over and snap goes the ankle.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Note that this is often honored more in the breach than the observance. There's an old joke that asks: "How many Southern Baptists should you take on a fishing trip? Two. If you only take one he'll drink all your beer, but if you take two neither will touch a drop."

The way I've always heard it is "How do you stop a Mormon from drinking all the beer when you're fishing? Bring two."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Local Weather posted:

I'm pretty sure this is all just scammy garbage but there's always this little voice in my brain that says it's just because I don't understand it. Can someone reassure me that this is indeed nothing but scammy garbage?

And just as a side note, the art, especially the animals, seems to be consistently nauseating.

Here’s how NFTs work, roughly.

I put a picture of something in an envelope. You pay me enough money to buy a car, and I burn a stack of old tires to needlessly pollute. After the tire burning ceremony is over I give you a piece of paper that says “Local Weather totally owns the picture in this envelope I have” and I publish a notice so everybody can see that you bought the contents of that envelope from me.

You do not get the envelope. You do not get a say in what I do with the envelope. If I want to take the lovely animal picture that was originally in the envelope out and replace it with goatse, I can do that. If I want to just light it on fire, I can do that. You do not own the item. You own the receipt.

Khizan has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Oct 8, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

OK, I can kinda-sorta understand most of that.

But how do I, (the purchaser of the NFT), make money on my investment? Do I get to onsell the receipt to someone richer and more gullible than me so that I make a profit? If I hold on to the receipt for long enough does it increase in value? Is there another way for me to make my investment in this receipt worthwhile?

Or is there no monetary value for me, (the purchaser), and the actual value I get is the pride, social cachet, and reputation I get as being the owner of the receipt? Coz I can also see that being a thing, nerds bragging to other nerds that they own an NFT of something or other.

Mixture of both. These things have no actual value other than the pride that cryptobros take in them, so you are hoping that cryptobro pride increases the demand for NFTs so that you can resell it for a profit later on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Captain America also had some pretty good propaganda marketing behind him

basically, someone heroic like a soldier or an astronaut getting dosed with superpowers is palatable to the public, but the poor and/or uneducated being randomly born with powers is ripe for mass hysteria

edit: also presentation--Iron Man, Cap, and the Fantastic Four are up front in colorful costumes, but mutants could be aaanyone, even your own neighbors. My god even your children we gotta do somethin about this

I've always put a a good bit of it down to mutants like Cyclops and Rogue, with powers that can and will hurt people accidentally. Just today, my nephew accidentally knocked my glasses off of my head with an errant swing of a nerf sword. Something similar happens to Cyclops and he could kill people.

This adds an element of fear to mutants that doesn't exist with Cap and Iron Man. Sure, they're perfectly capable of hurting you but they have to actively do something to hurt you. Miss a shot in a fight, gently caress up with a science project, whatever. It still generally requires them to take an action that has a certain amount of danger to it. There's an element of "teenage mutant might accidentally create a tiny black hole in the grocery store while I'm getting milk and eggs" to mutants that doesn't really exist with Cap or Spiderman or the like.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If it's rural Texas then it's decent tbh. There's compounding reasons why that dude is stupid.

I'm in a city in the west and we pay around 900 for a spacious, new 2br apartment with a pool (and soundproof walls!) Less than a room in the Bronx lol. For chud texans driving your lifted F150 around the suburbs of DFW counts as "rural" though so I'm not gonna extend the benefit of the doubt for this captain of industry.

Somewhere in the thread he says he's in Canton, which is about an hour outside of Dallas. :lol:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

BTK is the one who told the police "I want to send you a letter, can you trace a floppy disk if one is sent to you? No lying!" and got caught when they lied and said they could not.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My favorite Obama nickname was Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers.

Also, here it is:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

As his trusted associates T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman pushed open the grand organic farm-grown cruelty-free redwood doors paid for by his 95% tax rate, he stepped into the antechamber of the gold-domed palace. Outside, ShariaVentalism reigned, but in here his word was law, and all his white teen sex slaves cowered before his glare more than even the hemp whips of their latte-drinking tweeded atheist masters.

He walked down the hallway toward his office and a prisoner in chains passed before him, lead by two turban-wearing Mexicans. He spotted the King and began shouting curses.

"You loving fascist! I knew it! I knew it! I told them, but they wouldn't listen, that your health care platform was a slippery slope to all this! You won't get away with this! The will of the Free Market will not be denied!"
"Seelenceo een the prezence of the Keeng, preesoner!"

King Obama spotted a chance to improve his ill mood.

"Bring him here. Good. Give me his file." The king looked over the prisoner's dossier. A long list of crimes against the state, and a repeat offender.
"You'll never get away with this! Never!"
"Hush now, Mr. Jack. We have ways of dealing with unruly sorts such as yourself."
"Praise be to Allah, seenyor."
"Peh! I spit at your torture! The Free Market gives me strength!"
"Oh, no, not anything as gauche as that."

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Kyle's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him. He motioned for his bodyguards to leave the room, and he addressed the giant screens hanging over his desk.

"Screen one on. Connect to Emperor bin Laden of Eurabia. Screen two: Hugo Chavez of the U.S.S.A.R.. Screen three: The High Elder of Zion."

The three figures appeared live via satelite.

"Gentlemen," began Obama darkly, "it's time to have...a conversation."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That one is probably my favorite of them.

quote:

12:05 PM eastern standard time, the Muslims have vanished.

Check for yourself if you don’t believe me. Where have they gone to?

There is speculation, of course. Scientists mention a cosmic storm that passed the Earth on January 20. A man says they are all in caves. Certain groups lament a faulty Rapture. A woman says he has taken their power and absorbed it into himself. She means Barack Obama. I doubt it, but he does seem somehow taller. The ground rumbles at times. The breaking news says WASHINGTON DC, with red concentric circles. I’m uneasy, but what can we do? Terror is defeated and if Obama were a Muslim, he’d be just as gone as them. There’s no cause for alarm.

Within months, Barack Obama has declared a war on vague unease. It’s a good idea, because frankly we could all use some peace of mind. Approval rating is higher than ever now that the Muslims had left, but I don’t think we are happy yet. His eyes are shining sometimes, as a deer’s eyes shine in a flashlight beam. Small fissures criss-cross the pavement. Trees are swaying, but the breeze is gone. Something is changing in our world.

Aeroplanes don’t exist anymore. Scientists explain that the density of the air is too low to support their wings. Then how do we breathe?! We should have died by now, but I think we are evolving. Our bodies haven’t changed, but the atmosphere..

One man says it was the rapture after all, and we have since entered the Kingdom of God. Barack is now the size of an oak tree. He sleeps outside since the rains have ceased, and his skin is thick to bullets. Now he wanders through he countryside impassively. He ignores a rural photo-op. He studies a leaf for twenty days. Only a fool would call this Heaven.

Satellites fall to earth like rain used to. No friction burns them away, so we trudge past countless flecks of solar panel and ribbons of golden cloth. It’s a silent car crash every few hours, though cars themselves no longer run. No oxygen remains to ignite their fuel. Obama strides across the landscape, taller than the Freedom Tower. We’ve given up on assassination; all men are immortal now, and guns no longer fire.

I’m starting to wish the Muslims were back.

We found them with a telescope. Images of a colony on the right side of the moon. See the parts that jut from the lower right? I think they’re mosques. Soon they are visible to the naked eye, but how? Their cities are enormous. We watch them as they live and die. They have our former atmosphere; the moon is fringed with blue. “Look at how they wield their guns,” writes a man. “I always said he’d take our guns away.” They eat and sleep like we once did, building worthless ziggurats. We have everything we wanted, but oh how we envy their strife!

It’s long been clear that Obama brought this uncomfortable perfection upon us, but I can’t bring myself to blame him for it. He’s reminded us all of how our lives had been discarded out of fear. I know now why he grows each day. In time, when we are ready he will reach out into space. He will raise us up in his great hand, to this new Earth that gleams like a frozen star. And if Obama does not carry us, we can climb…

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Chloe Jessica posted:

AI Dungeon cannot hold a loving story thread ever since pedos made them castrate the predictive algorithms

I did not hear about this. What happened? I am somewhat hesitant to add "pedophile AI dungeon" to my search history.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have a new name for the protagonist of Disco Elysium

They were never married, though. He's an ex-girlfriend guy.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It can count against you in a civil suit, IIRC.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why do they tell you not to look a gift horse in the mouth? What are the gift horses trying to hide?

You can tell the age of a horse by looking at its teeth, so the implication of "looking a gift horse in the mouth" is that you're being nitpicky in trying to find a fault in a favor or gift.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

rodbeard posted:

Mormon missions basically exist to try to trick foreign women to come to America to shore up their numbers. The charity work is only there to make it less obviously a trafficking operation. They barely even try to justify it if you watch a show like 90 Day Fiance. The first season involves a Mormon marrying a teenager he met when she was 12.

It’s not that, really. They’re glad to get converts, sure, but that’s really just a side benefit of the mission trips.

The main purpose of the Mormon mission is to condition their young. They’re sending their youngest adult members out into areas where they are utterly dependent on the church because they have nothing and don’t know anything or anybody, and they’re forcing them to spend the vast majority of their time trying to hard-sell their religion to outsiders who largely want nothing at all to do with them. The real end goal here isn’t a smattering of new converts, it’s teaching their missionaries that the world outside of the Mormon bubble is hostile and miserable, so that when they go back home they’ll be happy to fall in line and get to work tithing that 10% and popping out the next generation of missionaries.

I also think it may have something to do with encouraging quick marriages when they get back, by isolating them from 18-20 and chaining them to a permanent companion with orders to tattletale if they try and have any fun. When they fall back into the bubble they’re probably so lonely and horny that they’re willing to dive right into marriage and get to work on that swarm of kids they’re expected to have.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Very hard to imagine how someone who cannot make a cup of coffee could possibly have anything to offer in the field of art criticism.

Art critic is one of those jobs where I'd sort of expect and want a bit of weirdness, tbh, and that's the kind of weirdness that works for that. A strange but harmless eccentricity that doesn't seem to be harming him or his wife, but makes you go "oh yeah! the coffee guy!" when he's mentioned.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Did all the women over 50 die too? :ohdear:

The moon wasn't directly murdering people. Its disappearance caused natural disasters that killed a bunch of people. IIRC, I want to say that Wanda died because she went out into the street to help a homeless woman and got hit by falling debris from a building collapse? Something like that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bismuth posted:

There are a lot of TERFy wiccans/'witches' so eh

I remember reading somewhere that he was referencing a particularly lovely strain of terfy wicca that was prominent at the time. I want to say it was based around a moon-related goddess like Selene or Artemis?

Anyways, you were pretty clearly meant to understand that everybody saying that she wasn't a real woman was lovely and wrong.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

fullroundaction posted:

* you get to do fun goofy poo poo that would be weird if you didn’t have a kid with you

The pro move here is to wait until your siblings have kids, and then you can be the cool uncle/aunt. You get to go do the fun goofy poo poo with them, but can give them back when they’re tired and cranky.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Instant ramen is also a lot easier to cook if you’re a college student without a real kitchen.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I get a better shave with a new cartridge than I do with a new double-edge blade, but my average shave is better with the safety razor just because I change blades more frequently. Double-edge blades are cheap enough that I can use a new blade every other day and it's still cheaper than using one cartridge a month.

And really, the only real difference between them to me is the time it takes to shave. Two passes with the cartridge, three passes with the safety razor. Well worth the tradeoff, imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm late to this party but does Peter Molyneux think that women are just walking around full of eggs they deplete like a countdown timer at an arcade machine waiting for a quarter

The idea that women are born with all the eggs they will ever have is actually a reasonably defensible position. This was mainline scientific belief for many years and, tbh, it still sort of is. You can find it referenced in lots of places that would be considered credible sources, like the Cleveland Clinic or the University of Michigan's Rogel Cancer Center.

It wasn't until like 2012 when a team of researchers found evidence that it might not be true, and IIRC that research has never been confirmed and it wasn't about humans to begin.

I don't intend this to be a defense of Molyneux at all, he's still a creepy loving weirdo for walking around thinking about this poo poo. I just wanted to point out that "women are born with all the eggs they will ever have" isn't a crackpot idea.

Khizan has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Oct 26, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My guess is that his only real sports experience was high school sports, where most of the athletess can't just go to different schools with better programs and where it's far more likely that overall fitness levels are the cause of problems.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Once upon a time movie license games were expected to be "ok, but forgettable" at best and that was just the law of the land and everyone was okay with it. When did that change? What game was the turning point?

The only great game I can think of that was based on a movie is Goldeneye.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mosquitos always used to go after my dad and ignored me. He developed anemia for a few months, though, and for those few months they ignored him and bit the poo poo out of me. Once the anemia went away they went back to swarming him and ignoring me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Most people don’t look directly towards the sun unless it’s sunset or sunrise, when it’s yellowish orange. I’m not that surprised a lot of people think of it as yellow.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wasn’t it originally something like “involuntarily celibate because there’s no publicly lesbian/bi women in this small town so the options are nonexistent”?

Khizan has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Dec 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So is Go but good luck solving it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Lee_Sedol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Ke_Jie

Happened back in 2016-2017.