Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

For context he's not the "real" final boss. Arbiter of Fate is. Sephiroth is a one-sided unwinnable stomp fest where he only doesn't kill Cloud because he still needs him to bring the Black Materia to his body in North Crater.

With all the talk of time travel and FFXIII, I was thinking the super boss from XIII-2 was here but that's Arbiter of Time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What are the odds this bombs so hard they don't even make a Part 2?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The first class edition has been sold out pretty much everywhere for a while now so pretty much none.

Sales aren't everything. My poor Metal Gear Solid 2 actually sold more than MGS3 but its infamy is linked to why MGS3 didn't sell as well. So many people were chased off by the horrible word of mouth about it.

Bad reviews and fan reaction matter, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Original game implies he learns that when he absorbs the knowledge of the ancients in the Lifestream and decides to just use Meteor to become a god instead like a standard jrpg villain.

The entire plotline with him mistakenly thinking himself and Jenova were ancients is a thin red herring, a temporary motivation for the Nibelheim incident and probably a leftover from when the writers were talking about Aeris being his sister. Might as well cut that because it just adds convolution.

But er now we've got timelines and parallel universes I guess they committed to convolution!

FFVII is a very well-told story but this has been a major complaint of mine for years. The strongest, most memorable bit of characterization Sephiroth has is Nibelheim. Everyone associates him with the idea Jenova is his mom and that he's an Ancient seeking revenge. This is literally his entire justification for going evil.

Then next time we see him he just knows everything he went evil for is wrong but doesn't care and now he wants to be a god because reasons.

I think this is a big reason people liked the idea Jenova was controlling him. It helps smooth out inconsistencies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Dave posted:

Always seemed to me like people don't understand or get confused past "The bad guy is going to destroy the planet, also his mom is a head or something."

Capitalism is Bad.

I think most people understand that. Cyberpunk is not a genre known for its subtlety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best FF localizations are FFXII and FFXV.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wait, was the report of nobody dying from the plate crash in the remake false?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

I think, more than anything, this is the action that best preserves FF7. A full-on remake, even with a few changes, would have basically replaced the original FF7, the same way nobody really plays the original NES FF1 anymore, they play one of the myriads of remakes or ports. Obviously there's people who do, but if a fifteen year old goes up to you and asks which version of FF1 to play because they wanna experience the starting point for their favorite MMO, FF14, you aren't gonna tell them to play the original NES game.

This is an action that makes the original FF7 viable and interesting material for an entirely new generation while creating something that supplements it and acts as an inroad to it. If you think the original FF7 is a masterpiece then isn't that an ideal scenario?

FF1's remakes have improved the gameplay, not completely changed it.

FFVIIR could be the greatest game of all time and a 1:1 recrreation in terms of story but I don't like the new combat and miss the original turn-based gameplay. As such, it can't ever truly replace FFVII.

I'm not digging on the game, just saying my preferences.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sephiroth dropping down to stab Aeris only to get homerun derby'd by a buster sword is exactly what the world needs right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvkssNx5oc&t=128s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dexo posted:

I'm putting my bet on you saving her. and things completely going to poo poo afterwards. Like she doesn't finish calling Holy.

Truly this is the Rebuild of Final Fantasy VII.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51az0LDdnvE

Why are FF games afraid of massages? This was a gag in FFXV, too.

It's cute, I just don't understand it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

It just occurred to me that this game isn't called Final Fantasy 7, it's called Remake.

The next "part" is Advent Children: Remake (or Before Crisis, the phone game prequel that never made it to the US)

also, this is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCylMf_F3I

Did they replace his actual original theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV40ypje7o

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

While I understand the logic of "everybody knows Sephiroth in 2020 so why bother to maintain an air of mystery for several hours," his being all over the game kinda is annoying. The point of Midgar is the same point you see in drat near every FF game. From King Baron to Gestahl to Shinra to Deling to Brahne, the first "act" is about an Evil Empire but gradually the empire is either revealed to be the pawn of the Real Villain or are forced to be second fiddle to that Real Villain. Midgar impresses upon you Shinra's might and depravity only to reveal at the end that they are absolutely NOTHING compared to Sephiroth.. But who is Sephiroth? We just know his power and that he trivialized the guys who were already beating us.

But here, he's just...in everything from the very beginning. Don't really like that change.

Overall the game gives me some FFXV vibes with an emphasis on light-hearted character interactions while the Plot is just kinda there in the background. Only I'm not sure if I find the interactions as endearing here.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Oh wow :stare: So there's definitely a lot more story to tell in the next part!

Asema posted:

do what I'm about to do: buy the original on steam and beat it

i did it last year in preparation for beating this and now im gonna do it again because i'm crazy

Also use mods if you are interested enough
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zack is a nobody who was never loved by Aeith, got owned off-screen by Sephiroth in five seconds and then died to two Shinra mooks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't even true if you only play the original FF7.

It absolutely is, every word of it.

1. Aerith always maintains she never had deep feelings for Zack,
2. When we see the real flashback it's just him running into the Jenova room and then flying out defeated like a scrub a few seconds later
and
3. He dies getting pumped full of lead by a Shinra grunt.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The name "Grimoire Valentine" alone should be a sign that Dirge is a burning trash fire.

Is that really worse than Cloud Strife?

People just get used to some dumb names while others they remain hostile to. It reflects more on how they view the games the characters are from rather than the names themselves, in my experience.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Dirge is a disaster, but Grimoire Valentine owns as a name and you won't convince me otherwise.

DoC also can invoke the standard JRPG defense of "at least the music was good."

As for fans not wanting things to change, it depends on what changes you mean. We've now defeated teh ghosts of FFVII Past and been saturated with scenes of Aerith dying. Does this mean she won't die? I don't think people getting mad at her living is a sign of pettiness since that is one of the things that made FFVII special.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

This is what I'm thinking, because Aerith absolutely seems to know things about the future but she also wants you to defeat the Whispers so the group is free to challenge their fate.

One of the things that confused me about some of the trailers was how knowledgeable Aerith was. In original FFVII she didn't know much before leading Midgar and her character development is about her discovering her identity and becoming wiser.

I guess if she can see the future this accounts for her starting off so much further than she did originally.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FF7R: Part 2 will mirror Mass Effect 2 and you can save (or kill) none to all of your party by the end.

Send Cait Sith to be the second squad leader as he's so trustworthy and has ample experience as a battle commander.

Barret goes in the vents to do hacking.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HD DAD posted:

They should go back to one of their original ideas of Aerith and Sephiroth being lovers.

I would actually like this. It be very daring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

FFVIIR-2 will be about Tifa and Aerith finding themselves in an alternate timeline with no Cloud in sight. They'll go on a journey to find him, only for Sephiroth to succeed in his goal to become god and kill everyone.

FFVIIR: Cloud Returns will be about Cloud in a solo adventure, tasked by the goddess of Gaia to set the timeline back to normal after everything went to poo poo in part 2. Materia will be replaced with a multitude of dresses that grant him different abilities. Also, he'll have pink hair.

Thats right, we're going full XIII, baby

Sephiroth wishes he was as awesome as Caius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq_QGAAUbzE

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I heard they removed Rufus' entire intro speech about ruling the world with fear instead of money.

What is even his characterization now?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think FFXV has to be one of the only recent JRPGs to say Destiny is Good. FFXIII and FFVIIR are both apparently very much on the gently caress Destiny train.

Maybe the Planet will decide Humans are a disease that needs to be wiped out in this timeline. It was considering it last time and maybe only Aerith puting in a vote for us saved everyone.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

I was going to jump to X/X-2. I last played VIII when it first came out and I never did finish it. If it's worth my time, it looks like it's cheap enough to pick up if people think it's worth the time.

FFX was the best FF game of all time.

X-2 is nowhere near as good but as long as you go in with the mindset that literally nothing about the game is the same as X except re-used environments, it's okay.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Temperatures have fluctuating power in Spira. I always remember how Tidus was freezing to death and needed a fire in the beginning but by the end he's hiking up snow-covered mountains. This is to say nothing of Rikku's outfit in those same freezing temperatures.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's possible that whatever magic was used to create the people of Dream Zanarkand made them not think about "what's out there."

They think and feel and exist like regular Spirans but there is apparently some fine distinction between them and normal people and that might include limiting their desires or thoughts that stray beyond Zanarkand.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dMcOghT2nw

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

FF7R has cemented itself as probably my favorite game of this console generation. I need intervention. Somebody convince me to play Animal Crossing and RE3make again, because I'm now probably hopelessly behind in Resistance and my island has descended into Lord of the Flies madness.

Currently I am paralyzed by indecision, thread, and I need your input. I have been firmly Team Tifa since 1997, and nothing has ever come up to dissuade me from that opinion, including all of the Compilation materials and retrospectives on the original as I've gotten older. Aerith isn't even into the real Cloud, I reasoned, she just likes the funhouse mirror Zack who waltzed back into Midgar. And Tifa's the childhood friend! Childhood friend romances are always best. Plus Tifa is cute as gently caress. It's Tifa. Gotta be.

But now having played a localization that is comprehensible and with the slight tweaks to the characterization, as I see it, to each of them, I am TORN. Up is down, black is white. I don't know who to pick! It's unlikely that they'll do any kind of decision carryover or save file transfer from game to game, but on the off chance that they do, I don't want to hedge my bets and make a save where I choose each of them. I need to commit! And I don't know who to pick!

Please outline your arguments for why Cloud should be with Tifa or Aerith below.

Sincerely,
me

Well, for starters, it was always apparent Aerith loved Cloud for Cloud. She saw some of Zack in him but Cloud is rally nothing like Zack at all. They have glowing eyes and were "in SOLDIER" and...that's it. Their personalities are totally different, especially during Disk 1 when Cloud and Aerith were together. She also always insisted she never had any special feelings for Zack but people like to ignore that for some reason.

Anyway, why Cloud and Aerith? Well Cloud's own mother said he needed an older woman to take care of him. Tifa is very co-dependent and is the one who needs to be taken care of. Aerith is also just a much more interesting character and with the possibility she will actually live, that is a huge game changer for the Clerith ship. Cloud and Tifa only became kind of a thing because Aerith died.

Also the fortune telling robot cat spy said Cloud and Aerith were perfect for each other. I think that conclusively settles the matter.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

This post is too anti-Tifa to be accurately counted, but it will be taken into consideration. I wonder what it says about me that I find Tifa's borderline co-dependent attitude, especially in the original FF7, equal turns heartbreaking and adorable. That... that isn't good.

Funny thing is, when I first played FFVII back in 2002, I was totally pro-Tifa. I was almost glad when Aerith died because all signs pointed to her and Cloud being together. But then she died and Tifa got promoted to main female character.

I can make the same arguments that made Tifa alluring to me back then. Young Cloud having a crush on her and going off to be a SOLDIER man because he wanted to impress her. The fact Tifa's love for him has not wavered one bit over many, many years. How she stands by him even when it looks like he'll be a vegetable forever.

I don't know why I became so much more pro-Aerith with age. I still love a lot of the same characters I used to growing up. I still love Elly from Xenogears and she's even more co-dependent than Tifa in a way. Her and Fei are cosmically codependent

Maybe it's the tragic element. It's seductive - the person Cloud can't be with is the one you want him with most of all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There was definitely bits of confusion in the fandom back in the day and I only got online and started talking with people about this kinda thing in 2003 so I was a bit late to the party.

People thought Vincent was a vampire.
People thought Sephiroth was an Ancient
People thought Cloud was actually something Hojo made in a lab.

These were the big misconceptions I remember encountering a fair bit. I even bought into them at one point, I think. It's been a long time.

I know I was an adamant supporter of the idea Jenova controlled Sephiroth for many, many years. This I'm not sure if it should be categorized as misunderstanding or just....I dunno.

I should mention that none of this is really unusual. There were all sorts of misunderstandings in the FF community. People who thought Sorceresses in FFVIII were immortal which led to R=U. Or thinking that Sin was gone for ten years in FFX. Or we missed that Vivi was dead at the end of FFIX. That one never crossed my mind until long, long after I first beat the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The earlier comparison to MGS2 was apt. MGS2 being what it was isn't really such an out-there evolution of Metal Gear and it was also really well done.

Final Fantasy has never shown any interest in this kind of meta narrative and I can understand why it annoys people who just wanted a good, straight story like the original game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just Andi Now posted:

Realtalk, if they called this game FFVII-2, everyone would be completely confused because the game is literally just FFVII but more for 95% of its runtime.

It's the Rebuild of Final Fantasy VII.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Go full Chrono Cross where our heroes loving up the timeline has resulted in Shinra being more of a threat than Sephiroth. They conquer the world while our heroes are off trying to deal with Seph.

OG Shinra was basically Dalton.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVIII was not really interested in politics. Rinoa and her freedom fighter group was a preamble to a narrative that has gently caress-all to do with such mundane politics.

gently caress, everything on Disk 1 is basically ignored. Rinoa and her general father have a strained relationship? Who cares! No need to further develop that or mend the fences. Rinoa has a hunky soldier boyfriend and what else does a girl need.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I heard somewhere that the love story in FF8 was heavily influenced by shoujo manga which was a flourishing genre at the time and you know what? It shows. Thank loving God they didn't take their cues from Hot Gimmick though.

I have to say though Squall/Rinoa is one of the least compelling romances in video game history if only because they have no loving chemistry. Also the moon is made of monsters and fires them at the planet every now and again--FF8 EVERYBODY!

Shojo manga is as diverse as any other demographic-based manga. You got Hot Gimmicks but then you also get Fushigi Yuugi. FY had its issues but it's nothing like HG. Tamahome was very warm and loving.

Some girls are into the cold, aloof jerk boyfriend but many others aren't.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

homeless snail posted:

The plate drop is maybe one of the biggest acts of mass murder depicted in video games. Better be one hell of a redemption arc

I mean...I guess in some super relative way where you take into consideration all video games ever but it seemed like a very standard My Village Is Destroyed start of RPG.

Is Sector 7 super way bigger in the Remake?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

I've started replaying FFX and now I'm thinking about how often this series likes to go back to the same setting element/thematic well repeatedly in successive entries in the series. For like the whole PS1 era into the PS2 era, every installment in the main Final Fantasy series had a ton of stuff about memories being passed on after you die, an afterlife where souls return to the planet (and are potentially reborn), and even two of them have either that afterlife or a byproduct of it used to power technology (VII with mako and IX with mist) and possibly also giving rise to monsters (VII and IX's mako and mist monsters, and X's fiends). VII and X also share the idea of memory and power being stored in crystal orbs that are ubiquitous and come in both naturally-occurring and manufactured forms.

After FFX, a lot of those themes fell away, but from then onward the series has really loved to dive into the concept of destiny. FFXII tackled it with the Occuria (incidentally I'm gonna do an effortpost at some point about the similarities between the Occuria and the Whispers and how the Whispers small-scale chumps compared to the Occuria), XIII with the l'Cie and fal'Cie, XV with the gods and Noctis's doomed fate, and now VIIR with the Whispers and the planet's will.

I mentioned this just yesterday but FFXV is unique in that it has a Pro Destiny message. This has been absent since like, FF3 where the Crystals chose their fated warriors to save the world. Since then it's been a lot of Fighting Fate. FFXIII even had a song titled that.

FFXV alone says that Fate is pretty cool, if tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit: misread