Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Can I take a moment to complain about Trump's order to reject any attempt to block the construction of mines on the moon from the end of the last thread? Because despite what scifi authors like to talk about, the moon's composition makes it a pretty bad choice for space mining. Most wannabe space miners look more to asteroids where there's a good selection of metallic ones that are easier to get to with way more payoff.

I know it's because some idiot got a bug up their butt and Trump saw a chance to look like a strong man again, but the depths of stupidity from this administration is weird.

The moon sucks it's all the worst rocks from Earth smooshed up into a big ball.

It's not even the coolest moon.

Just kidding the moon is cool even if it doesn't have much metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Anyone got a link to the meme of the Life of Brian bit where it's "What did Obama ever do for us in a pandemic?" I cannot find it for the life of me and I'm just about done pooping at work.

Yeah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

we're doomed

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Biden will win just because this November will be a full on flaming disaster but this isn't even the beginning of the end, we're moving into the middle of the end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol do you think they will try to go back after this is over

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Isn't Biden's campaign like penniless?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The moratorium on primarychat is lifted!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PeterCat posted:

In the spirit of Easter, Simon cat is now Peter Cat.

:golfclap:

I live in Georgia so I can write in Sanders in good conscience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/surlybassey/status/1247533000461451265

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF76tyWIA98

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/1248254115421052928?s=19

Good thing the young do not vote.

Check out the rest of the thread.

Vote trump- joe biden

Haha god drat. The Dems just wiped out their lead in the youth vote.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PIZZAGATE 3.0

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

An Asian woman in NYC got acid thrown on her and some nutjob stabbed several members of an Asian family including a five year old IIRC, all in the last week or so. And that's just what has been reported on.

It's definitely not getting better any time soon.

Jesus

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Watch the Trump administration accidentally cause a constitutional crisis when they disband the postal service.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It is APRIL

:psyboom:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CRISPYBABY posted:

Political neutrality is such horseshit. Imagine looking at the US and going "yeah I'm the most influential public figure of the last two decades, you know what I should do/say? Nothing, wouldn't wanna affect anything, that would be terrible."

This is ideologically sound though, from the neoliberal perspective that politics is illegitimate and "the market" is the only proper organizer of society.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Luther was also a raging anti-semite with a massive pooping issue

He might be rolling for other reasons

Perhaps if he hadn't drunk five beers a day he would have been on better terms with his intestines and God.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, whenever you want more labor the first thing you do is reduce pay. This is administrative malpractice. These people are idiots. They're so lucky the only disasters they faced in their first three years were self-inflicted.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Real talk, has anyone else been able to find toilet paper? Going on week 5 with no resupply.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Christ so they were sounding the red alert March 2nd and the Feds never took serious action. It wasn't until two weeks later when state and local governments started ordering shutdowns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah so Trump is on track to kill 60,000 Americans. The smoking gun from the CDC's Red Dawn email chain:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I posted the red dawn emails on another site and so far my two responses are that COVID is man-made and that the emails are fake.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Catalyst-proof posted:

Why is it a good thing that the oil cartel is cutting production?

Anything that keeps oil in the ground is good news. If we ground up nuclear waste and injected it into virgin oil reserves that would be a good thing. If we bombed oil pumps both foreign and domestic that would also be a good thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a real martyr move. Drive from another state knowing you're going to get ticketed and fined and then act surprised and hurt about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's time to rewatch The Big Lebowski.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cr0y posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh. At dawn we march west for glory! :black101:

Seriously though is this as big of a deal as people are making it out to be?

Probably not, it's only a few months until a historically unpopular incumbent president runs face first into a 10% unemployment buzzsaw in November. If the economic indicators are as bad as they look Trump has like single digit chances to stay in office. I know people will leap at the opportunity to say actually electoralism is dead or Biden is a walking corpse but if we're facing the worst unemployment since 1930 I don't think any incumbent could reasonably win.

I know the scale of large numbers is tough to get your head around but they just passed a stimulus package worth double the stimulus in 2008 in real terms. And employment is still in free fall. Six million people lost their jobs just last week. 29% of renters failed to make rent in the first three days of April. The economy is taking a world-historic poo poo. A lot of people hurting bad by November isn't something to celebrate but it makes Trump's re-election very hard to fit into a realistic narrative.

There were electoral models that got the first wave of UI claims two weeks ago and started predicting Trump would get -440 electoral votes.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 14, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jesus Christ every time I actually click a twitter link I'm immediately blinded by all the nuclear-grade takes lower down in the feed. No dude I don't want to hear about your headmates or your opinions on eugenics I'm just here to look at this map I clicked. Yikes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think outside the reddest of states, most govenors/folks are gonna keep shutdown with maybe incremental lightning up.

are states still begging for stuff or has that crisis gotten a little better.

This is one of the weirdest parts of this whole experience. I know theoretically there are people pulling back to back 24 hour shifts but things are totally quiet for me. I check my email, manage my job, and wonder whether that thing I read on the news last week about enormous shortages and mass graves is getting any better or still going.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Missing Donut posted:

That map is amazing. In context for you non-Wisconsinites, normally the three counties including Oshkosh, Green Bay, and the one in between are R. The southwest of the state is usually R (in bad years, just the county including Madison and the two directly south go D). The Eau Claire-La Crosse corridor always feels close but often slightly conservative and to see that much blue is interesting.

I assume it was an enthusiasm gap. Especially because a lot of people had to request absentee ballots early enough to be counted.

From my experience the Eau Claire-La Crosse area is increasingly economically centered on the health care industry (Mayo Clinic and Epic both employ a lot of people) and therefore is one of the few places in the state that still draws in young professionals.

P. much everyone I knew in La Crosse worked in service or health care or education. (for health care)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a word for junior staff member in charge of huge unsecured sums of money with no support and that word is scapegoat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

We can note Truman firing MacArthur was a good thing, but were we actually right in supporting Rhee in South Korea in the first place? The Koreans were aiming for independence with the PRK but the USSR and US mutually crushed any hope of that, leading to the ongoing division of the peninsula today.

There's really no point in entertaining this line of thinking. What would the PRK have looked like 50 years down the road? South Korea didn't look like the giant success story it has become until more than 40 years after the war.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while in November I'd have agreed with you that Trump would have to put in some worm to be worse than Bush, we're early in this whole coronavirus thing and I'm not actually too sure Trump will wind up with a lower body count.

Relevantly, https://twitter.com/ksieff/status/1250197488159600640

also what glumslinger said about Trump flirting with an Iran war before and during the worst time possible

Guatemala doing a better job of testing than the USA lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

are you under the impression that a crackhead who washed out of the navy by pissing hot for cocaine got a Ukranian oil company board seat legitimately

is this an argument you are going to make, and expect to be treated as a good faith interlocutor

This is a chapo take but there's nothing illegal or even stupid about a Ukrainian natural gas firm with zero name recognition paying a Biden just to have someone with the name Biden on their board. All they're doing is signaling to potential investors and clients that they are a real company.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was arguing on other social media about whether it's good or bad to stop oil prices from falling and realized I can't say that my real opinion is that oil industry executives should be put up against a wall and machine-gunned so here's to you guys. :poland:

Actually I ran out of liquor last week.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's adorable seeing people posting about Joe Biden's extremely progressive agenda and how he's going to give us all healthcare, make it easier to declare bankruptcy, forgive student debt, cut emissions, and all the rest of it. Joe Biden is the candidate who's bankrolled and supported by the billionaire donors and party insiders and corporate media who have united behind him precisely to stop all those things from happening. He opposes all those things. The whole point of his candidacy is to prevent them from happening. People talking about his Very Serious Policy Proposals do not understand how political power works in this country, and are extremely gullible.

:hmmyes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's a very good attack in the But Her Emails vein for precisely the reason it generates dumb defenses like this

"look, TECHNICALLY there's nothing illegal about my fuckup kid getting a no-show job that pays more than you'll make over the course of your entire life, from people worried I might make rulings unfavorable to them" is a one hundred percent accurate statement. it also reinforces the underlying attack, that democrats and their enablers are hopelessly corrupt, tenfold.

because it gets you to say that as far as you're concerned buying influence is fine, when the people selling it have the right letter by their names.

true

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

not the US, but what the gently caress!

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1250485340533665794

jesus christ what the gently caress is merkel doing?????

Curve has been a lot flatter in Germany.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

this seems like a really good way to solve that "problem"

I think the German government has much more confidence in their testing regime than the flaming shitshow with still no plan to get enough tests that we have over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bill Gates Did Coronavirus has emerged from the crazed national id. I don't know either.