Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

animist posted:

how long do modern skyscrapers last unattended? there's a lot of steel in there

The empire statebuilding would fall quickly due to the necessity to pump millions of gallons of hidden river and spring water out of its sub basement because it was built over a very wet place.
Many such cases. And don't even get started thinking about debris. an unmaintained sky scraper should not be considered safe to travel near

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RaySmuckles posted:

its taylor ham

are you even from jersey!? god drat

:yeah:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im now against the balk after reading this blurb

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they can make it useless and have all the mail thats profitable to deliver, be delivered by fedex and all the mail thats not profitable to deliver be burnt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

delian league. you got your nato/imf analogues, your plagues, your exhaustive wars.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

The whole barbarian invasion narrative is pretty suspect in general I think, it was Gibbon's analysis in the 1700's and has just kinda stuck in the popular consciousness ever since but professional history has moved on quite a bit since the 1770's

this is correct.

prevailing theory is that most average western citizens may not have even noticed a transition. the west had been a backwater of unprofitable and indefensible provinces 2 centuries before the supposed fall. one day you look up and the boss is odoacer who cares theres manure to shovel, its not like they never had a foreign emperor come in and seize the state before.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Byzantine posted:

Who's talking about Odoacer?

the post i quoted discussing gibbons fall narrative thats based on odoacers ascension

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

albany is really bad in all fairness

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

loving that fresh oceanic air in west virginia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Farm Frenzy posted:

bribe them with pop, you mean

hes busy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

the combine harvesters wouldn’t work becuase of a DRM lockdown on the steering

its this
people already pay people to jailbreak their farm equipment for them. what happens in the hellworld where john deere can execute the guys with that knowledge?

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Apr 29, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mycomancy posted:

I was under the impression that DC transmission leads to tremendous power loss as well as being dangerous, or is this just pro-Edison propaganda?

edison was on the dc side.

remember also, we use ac and our outlets kill people and those elephants that edison murdered for PR

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

some naval researcher just applied for patents on tech that he says flies like the craft in those videos. the MIC is trolling us with some loving room temperature superconductor limitless energy engine that breaks science like "we could save the planet but instead lets keep it secret and make sure earth dies so we can be alone with our cool jets"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah in iraq bush got to send guardspersons to get mowed down and sploded but in america he cant do that cause posse comitatus.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

projecthalaxy posted:

Does the Trump anti-mattering field extend far enough to cover posse comitatus? We'll probably find out!

grab em by the posse

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

projecthalaxy posted:

The FBI works for the president right? Don't they have like tanks and stuff by now? I seem recall the FBI using tanks at Waco, which is frequently considered US soil

the fbi is law enforcement, regiments of soldiers arent. u can only use soldiers to attack/defend you cant serve a warrant with them. so they soldier up their agents and give them warmachines but they only have enough of them to terrorize a compound full of burning children and not enough to maintain order in a city/state, they need state governors on board to make state workers (cops, guardsmen) do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Michigan has been a hotbed of antigovernment paramilitaries since just before the Oklahoma City Bombing. at one point the single most organized group boasted a membership of over 10,000, but its heavily fragmented since then. A lot of these armed antigovernment groups are very heavily infiltrated by federal law enforcement.

Other factors:
MI has a Democratic governor
MI is a very diverse but heavily segregated state

yeah in the 90s the group calked michigan militia was synonymous with rightwing terror for training mcvey.

and lol they never got shut down and still exist

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its funny to me how indiana is the only state in the entire midwest with a single central metropolis that is not dependent on interstate workforces, etc. idk why im lol about it tho. maybe cause its the only smart think indiana ever did.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

it would take 20 years to train another generation of engineers to know how to restart production. right now only 3.5% of college grads are engineers and a lot of them go into software development anyway

but long ago there were almost zero college grads and yet very big production

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnknownTarget posted:

When you think about it, all symmetrical modern military doctrine is based on theory and no one serving at any level has any first hand experience fighting against a state foe that posed an existential threat. Literally no one.

iran

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnknownTarget posted:

I was saying the US doesn't have that experience. Even with Iran, it's 1) all theory since we haven't gone to war with them officially and 2) it's still not existential in the way that a war with China, the EU or Russia would threaten the country's existence.

oh i thought you meant on earth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they try to say that guy only hit the 117 cause he had foreknowledge of it coming due to laziness of the sortie planners using the same route or something like that but they interviewed the guy and hes like hey i shot it dont rob me of that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like how they sunk cape cod

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mexican florida 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrSunshine posted:

What happens to Hawaii? I think that if balk happens the WSP will need to draw Hawaii into its union or sphere of influence. Losing a toehold on Hawaii means losing a vital "natural aircraft carrier" for exerting control over the Pacific. At the very least, the WSP will have to try extremely hard not to let Hawaii go loyalist lest there be a Federal (or whatever other union) friendly bastion from which to project power.

hawaii either starves to death or remains californias bitch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trader joes should just sell their desserts and frozen poo poo in other stores and stop pretending they are a supermarket

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why are south dakotans going onto the reservation? arent they locked down too?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new jersey balkanized in the boroughitis period of the late 19th century from like 2 dozen towns into 565 boroughs in what has become an incredibly inefficient waste of tax dollars creating redundant public services and have/have not communities

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

true

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I'm late to this and a loving idiot to boot, but how come there aren't more legit separatist movements in the US? Considering the skewed senate, two party system, presidency and supreme court etc. None of that poo poo looks fixable to me.

every american already feels like a unique monad apart from society

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they postponed the civil war a long time with a compromise to stop importing more black people

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Third World Reagan posted:

I think sending people away from americans is a good thing.

better to have sent all the white southerners and kept the former slaves to run the states

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we used to have a acab thread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kent state 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

from olympus mons to tharsus!
martian law!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

michigan already did it in flint under obama right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they thought city density was the reason it was spreading and not just there first because of increased travel/ny's 2 weeks too late school closure and nursing home policies

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they cant fill the seat and the election has to be decided by a 4-4 scotus you could see some crazy poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

OhFunny posted:

Don't see why it would be 4-4 when Rs hold 5 seats and Ds now hold 3.

i could see roberts doing one of his moves that piss off conservatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got a passport card jic but now i doubt ill be flying any time soon