Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

A Wild Animal posted:

Captain James Cock

I also would have accepted Captain James Cooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

The Before Times posted:

the chances of infection happening that way would have to be one in several billion

I long for your optimism surrounding the competency of humanity in general.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
My wife's been referred for COVID testing today, in WA. Had a phone consult with a doctor yesterday who said "you need to go get tested, I will sort out a referral".

welp

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

snickothemule posted:

Chris Porter, the man that oversaw robo debt and was proud of it, the man who was managing the cashless welfare card and was proud of it, the man who wanted mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients, the man who dodged the final sittings of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse to go to the cricket with Howard (and was, judging by his track history, probably proud of it) is now in charge of Workchoices 2.0.

gently caress. Me.

Yeah this is going to be a rollercoaster of poo poo. :(

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Sulla Faex posted:

The media and right are traitors and/or enemies, that ship has long since sailed. But it's always interesting to find so many australians who self-identify as left and yet are still engaged in the same old self-righteous morally superior absolutism, this rage-filled vitriol and false consciousness. Solidarity isn't just a typo for your favourite brand of potting mix, what the gently caress is it going to achieve by criticising kindred movements with a higher level of hatred and violence than your mortal goddamn enemies do?

QFT

Zenithe posted:

Did scomo really say that slavery never existed in Australia?

Yes. It's been reported on by multiple media outlets. But y'know, all lives matter and covid impacts all lives so don't go protest our continued and ongoing abysmal treatment of Indigenous Australians in the middle of a worldwide cultural zeitgeist in case someone in this thread has a hernia about it.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2020

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Chadzok posted:

I've tried this line of argument and it doesn't work. My gf is still yelling at me to get a job

:sever:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

freebooter posted:

When does this kick in? For any future class you take, or just for people signing up to new degrees entirely? Because I'm in my third year but am considering deferring a lot of classes (well, I'm basically going to have to defer my placement) because of COVID.

Currently enrolled degrees have grandfathered fee structures. (although if fees are going down you will be allowed to take advantage of that). The increase only applies to degrees started from the new year afaik.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Allen's just announced on Facebook that they're changing the name of Redskins and Chicos lollies (new names TBA) and conservatives are losing their minds.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
My favourite comment in the whole Allen's thread is "You should make featureless, soft mayonnaise flavoured lollies and call them Racists"

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
the only bars I get to eat are protein bars because diabetes

check your loving insulin privilege you savages

:smith:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

I am a-okay with us all colloquially calling COVID-19 the "Melbourne Virus" from here on out, a++

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Sulla Faex posted:

https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1289241882388652032

onward, covid soldiers, marching off to school, with the cough from scotty

but it's very important for the kids to go to school or CelestialScribe will be inconvenienced

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

hambeet posted:

I legit forgot who the opposition leader was.

I honestly couldn't tell you who the leader of WA's opposition is, either.

Mark McGowan is now pretty much a "local hero" for telling Canberra and Palmer to get hosed, judging by comment threads on articles about him anywhere.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/clive-palmer-wa-damages-claim-set-to-be-blocked-by-legislation/12554052

Okay, 2020, you got me. I did not expect to see "Nationals and Greens team up" in any context, ever.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Lid posted:

Ok I must be mad because The Usual Suspects who are usually lefty, pro-vaccination etc. are going head over heels over how this is a bad idea and that we should rely on education and encouragement? The gently caress... this pandemic isn't negotiable. Is this just because of inherent hatred of Scott Morrison rather than rationality? I don't get it.

A number are saying that a covid vaccine isn't the same as a measels vaccine as this is being "rushed through" but from what I can tell this is going through the normal approval and testing protocols. What the actual gently caress?

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/icea0x/coronavirus_vaccine_would_be_mandatory_in/ as an example of people going THIS IS THE END.

I do kind of empathise with the whole "there's no way to know what the long term (10+ year) effects could be, you can't mythical man hour that poo poo" deal, but hey. We don't know the long term effects of a whole mess of stuff we put in our bodies, or even existing substances that we use in a different manner to how they were previously used.

There's enough out there to imply that the long term implications of even getting a "mild" case of COVID are bad. Pump that vaccine in my veins once it's been through the rest of the approval and testing protocols, which AFAIK only usually take so long because of resourcing issues - we won't have that with this.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
https://twitter.com/friendlyjordies/status/1295875815196856320

This is the ideal Twitter meltdown. You might not like it, but this is what peak ALP shill looks like.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Sulla Faex posted:

Why is friendlyjordies flipping out about that? I don't know about that particular union but the thing they're protesting is p. hosed so unless there's evidence it's some weird 4D chess where it's secretly being run by pigs or suits, idgi

So far as anyone can tell, it's because he had a public spat with one of their senior members on social media and is now too deep in calling them "ex private school inner city drug lords" to back out. The dude "gets" economics and no one shreds the concept of the LNP being "superior economic managers" in a more consumable way for the masses so far, but on just about everything else to date he's been a loving moron.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
yes okay discord me pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

CelestialScribe posted:

This lockdown has changed my life for the worse in ways you can't imagine.

"oh no I couldn't offload my special needs kid to underpaid teachers so I can go delegate work to other people like the important person I am, DAndrews must resign"