Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're still around and kicking. smart was wildly unpopular and really only sold cars in the US as part of Daimler's Car2Go urban carsharing program. Car2Go is dead now (in the US) so that killed their main market. A few years back they decided to pivot to EV only in the US, which wasn't a particular success, and now they're dead in the US. The smart ED had a 16.5 kwh battery and 20kw and could get about 80 miles of range because they are very slow and very small. more like a big enclosed golf cart than a real car.

In Europe they're still being produced in successive generations but there was really no market for them in the US.

When Smart first came to the US it was incredibly popular. People were putting deposits down a year before they came to market, and even then there was a 12-18 month wait to get one. Individual dealerships had their own reservation system as well; I know the Smart Center in Beverly Hills required a $2000 deposit just to be on the list of people called when a new one was available. Dealers were installing stuff like alarm systems on them in order to charge a $3k-$4k markup since they were supposed to be a "haggle-less" car, and even then they could barely keep them in stock. What really killed it was the 2008 recession that hit that same year they came out. Not a great year to launch a brand new, micro-car in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The Gunslinger posted:

I will never buy FSD unless they tie it into a subscription with AP or something. The fact that it's tied to the car instead of account based really bugs me considering the obscene cost. I would think they would want to make it some sort of account based subscription, helps keep people buying future cars in the brand.

It's not even tied to the car, really. If you buy FSD and sell the car the FSD will be removed and the new buyer will have to purchase it again. But it looks like they are going to start offering FSD as a subscription service at some point.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

borkencode posted:

Once you sell it back to them, it's not yours anymore, so who cares if they remove an option to sell it cheaper. (As an aside, I was looking at CPO Models S and it looked like they pretty much all were FSD enabled). If they pulled the upgraded wheels off to put the cheap ones on, would people be all up in arms about how "the rims don't stay with the vehicle!!" ?

The thing in the Jelopnik article was that a dealer saw it at auction and it was shown with FSD, put it on his lot as having FSD, guy bought it, then Telsa took the feature away because the buyer, personally, did not pay Tesla for it. They also have examples of that same thing happening to other people who bought a car on a lot that had Ludicrous Mode, then a little while later Tesla removing it and not restoring it because, "it would not be fair to those who have paid for Ludicrous Mode to make an exception."

In your example it would be more like you buy a used car with upgraded wheels, take it home, then the manufacturer sends someone out to your house to change them out for cheep ones because you didn't pay them for it.

If these features were already disabled when they were sold to the dealerships I would completely agree with you.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Godholio posted:

Such as? Electronic controlled automatics were taking over in the early 90s. Ford and GM were both done converting before OBD2 became standard.

Honda Prelude.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

What's the threads opinion on the BMW i3? I've seen early model REx's popping up for relatively cheap. The battery range of ~70 miles is fine for my weekday use, the only problem is almost every weekend I do a ~100 mile each way trip out to see family and friends who live ~100 miles away from me. With coding I can use the whole 2.4 gallon tank, hold charge on the freeways, and even the base model seems to have DC fast charging which is readily available out here. Are there any gotcha's with the i3 I should be considering?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Yuns posted:

NJ is ridiculous. You can have any tinting level on the back or rear side windows but nothing on the front or front sides. Most people who tint the front or sides use a super light tint so that it's not super obvious to police who will usually let that level go.

Same in CA. Got pulled over for it in my old car.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Gamesguy posted:

Norcal? I tint all my cars super dark and have never gotten a ticket for them. Even the one time I was pulled over for speeding the CHP didn't care about my tinted front windows and windshield.

All California. It looks like the rules were relaxed in 2018 to go from no tint allowed to just a little tint: CA vehicle code section 27608 subdivision d section 1 says the front windows can't have any tinting unless the material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent. Section 2 says any aftermarket tint plus factory tint cannot put you at less than 70 percent. Apparently you're also supposed to have in the car at all times a certificate signed by the installers certifying the light level.
I think this is something that is really not enforced unless the cop wants to be a dick. The cop I got straight up did a u-turn in the middle of the road in order to pull me over. I removed the tint and went to the station to get the ticket signed off and the cop at the desk didn't even bother looking at my car before signing. I've always had dark tinted windows in all my cars and that's the only time I've ever been pulled over for it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The i3 went from 2,207 sold last year to 251. That is bad.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I just test drove an i3 and it was pretty nice. Love the interior, love the parking assist and features, but one thing drives me crazy, though; When playing video over Bluetooth the audio is not synced at all. There is easily a 1-2 second delay between what's happening on my phone's screen and the audio coming out of the speakers. I don't have that issue with the cheapo grom Bluetooth adapter in my current car, or with the Avic D3 I had in my really old car. My job has me on the road pretty often so when I'm out and about and on lunch or break I like to relax, sit in the air conditioned car, and watch some Netflix. I haven't had much experience with OEM Bluetooth, but is this normal?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

VideoGameVet posted:

This is rich. The ChargePoint charger in the corporate apartment garage I'm staying at is 'restricted.' I'm not 'authorized' to use it.

Seriously, WTF?

Now I have to get HR to talk to the apartment management whom I'm sure won't have a clue. ChargePoint sure doesn't.

If you login to ChargePoint and go to profile there is a connections section. See if your apartment complex is on the list and connect them to your account.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I finally joined the club and picked up a 2017 i3 Rex and over the long weekend drove it over 400 miles. Thanks to the plethora of free chargers (including free DCFC which I didn't know existed until now) all over southern California I only spent ~$10 on electricity. I could not imagine doing that drive without DCFC; It's hard to believe that's not standard on all EV's. The only time I got worried about range was Sunday at 2am when I only had about 10% battery and the first two fast chargers I went to were in parking garages that had already closed. Luckily I found an open one and got enough charge to go home. The crazy thing is that with the Rex I didn't even really need the charge, but I've become so averse to using gas I refused to turn it on and even went out of my way to get to that charger.

Continuing filter chat: The i3 has a surprisingly good cabin air filter as well. Didn't smell a hint of smoke until I got out of my car.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Last week the owner of the building I work at saw me pull up in the i3, we chatted a bit about EV's, and he asked me if I was interested in charging at the office. I said yes and today they installed a ClipperCreek. I am thrilled for free charging at work!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

MomJeans420 posted:

However that is insanely low for power. If I had an electric vehicle to charge in the high season (through October), since I'm already hitting the highest tier power rates I'd be looking at $0.2398 per kWh.

I'm in San Diego and with electricity delivery included my rates range from $0.25328 per kwh during super off-peak hours to $0.49627 per kwh during on-peak hours. I don't get how other people are paying so little.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Wibla posted:

How much power do you use per month?

Last month I used 303 kwh.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Widespread adoption of full self-driving will probably actually make traffic worse. They've done some experiments using chauffeurs as stand-ins for AI driven self-driving. They pay the chauffeurs to drive people around and go anywhere that they would want. The people end up driving way more than they would if they had to drive themselves so you end up with cars on the road more than you would otherwise, increasing traffic.

Yeah you have more cars but they are all driving the speed limit, yielding correctly, not running red lights or stop signs, driving in the correct lane for their speed, not rubbernecking, etc. so although there are more cars the hope is there will be far less traffic.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Charles posted:

So how bad would it be to get a 93 mile range air cooled EV? I have a gas car easily available for road trips of course.

If it meets your regular commute and you can charge at home/work I'd say go for it.

Make sure to get Plugshare, know where fast chargers are, and watch out for regular trips that may become road trips. My i3 gets about 100 miles battery only and I once had a trip to Ikea and back, which should have been about 30 miles total, turn into a trip to Ikea to Living Spaces to World Market to Downtown and back which ended up closer to 90 miles.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Man I've been seeing the EQV in real life now a couple of times and my god is it one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. What were they thinking?

It looks like an updated R-Class. Maybe they wanted it to look like an ugly minivan they discontinued 8 years ago?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Charles posted:

It's mentioned a few times in my Kia Soul manual. I haven't looked yet but it seems pretty accessible.

The i3 has a "coolant reservoir for drive" that is for the electric motor and other electric systems, not the battery. I imagine it's the same thing for the Soul.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Ola posted:

Agree. I tried pausing and stepping frame by frame. It looks a bit too good I would say. Your car doesn't stay clean for very long on roads like that. It's either really good CGI or lots of post production effects which gives it a fake look. Even real cars that are available for sale have ads where they are CGI'd or look weird.

Aparently this thing was used for the 2018 Equinox unveiling.
https://vimeo.com/171939943

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Humerus posted:

Got a FB ad for this EV three wheeler that must be considered, legally, a motorcycle or something. It's a two seater (passenger behind driver), with some sort of body but the ad said it had optional doors, so lol. It's about 18k and I feel like if you were considering this a used Leaf or similar would be way way better but what do I know.

A mall near me sells the Electra Meccanica Solo, an EV three wheeler that fits one and is also $18k.

Doesn't make too much sense to me, either. For that money (or less) you can get a used Leaf, i3, Bolt, e-Golf and probably many more that are all better in just about every way.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Cicero posted:

That range seems not so great for such a pricey car.

The Taycan Turbo S is $40k more than the RS and get's almost 50 miles less range. I think people buying these care way more about performance than efficiency.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

That is one of the ones effected by the LG battery recall and it hasn't had the temporary fix done yet.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Ola posted:

Has anyone ever done directional wheels or hub caps? Strange that Tesla haven't.

My 2000 Honda Prelude has directional wheels. Apparently the 2014 i3 had directional wheels as well, but they were removed for all subsequent years. I didn't even realize that wasn't the norm until right this moment.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

It looks like Fisker is abandoning their solid state battery plans.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This reminds me of a friend who worked for JLR, they of course get in competitors cars often to see what they're doing. He brought over a lovely £100k Mercedes S class one time which is a lovely car and it has self parking mode. So we go out in it, drive to the shop and he tries it out. It 'sees' the cars parked, you select a space you want it to drive into and it tries to whip it in in reverse. Well after what seemed like an eternity of thinking it starts to slot itself into a spot without too much trouble but a little quicker than anybody in the car is comfortable with. A few days later he takes it back to work and goes to park it in the compound with all the other cars. A few of his colleagues are there picking up other stuff so he decides to show off by getting it to park itself while he has his hands out of the window. He picks a spot, the car figures out what to do and starts to move and stick its butt into the space but again at a speed higher than it probably should. It doesn't stop itself and fires into the front bumper of the £250k Rolls Royce Cullinan parked there. Luckily no damage was done but everyone that got to witness learned never to trust the self-parking of an S Class.

I think this is more not understanding how park assist works on an S Class. It steers for you but does not control gears, breaking, or acceleration; that's all the for the driver to handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TG-8Bp_D1M

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

raej posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here for the BMW thread, but I'm looking into coding my 2017 BMW i3 REx. Right now, I have a 60 mile highway commute, and only a level 1 charger, so by day 4, I'm just outta juice. I know holding state of charge kind of defeats the purpose of an EV, but until I get back into a house and can install a level 2 charger, it seems like the best choice to not have to swap cars.

I know there's BimmerCode, but that's a subscription service and I am vehemently against paying a subscription for a one time change.

Unless something changed recently, BimmerCode doesn't have a subscription option; Just $35 for android or $27 for iOS one time fee. If you want to go the hardcore route and you can get an ENET cable and put E-SYS on a laptop. The hardcore route lets you add cool stuff like Enhanced Bluetooth and Traffic Jam Assist. There are also companies out there that will code your car for you for a fee, even remotely (they ship you an ENET cable and do a remote desktop session on your laptop), but if you ever bring in your car for service the dealer will most likely wipe any changes clean so you should probably have some way of doing it on your own.

Edit: If you go the hardcore route make sure you install the 32-bit version of .NET Framework 4.5.2. There's not a whole lot online indicating that it can't be 64-bit and it gave me a huge headache figuring this out.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 9, 2021

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Shamino posted:

Wait can you run an i3 on the range extender only?

You can code in an option to turn on the Rex at any point below 75%. I have it set to the preset 1 button.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Shamino posted:

How much range do you get with that configuration? With the 2013-2015 rex's being in the $10k range, and being able to add on traffic management I really want one as a city runabout.

I can usually get about 50 additional miles out of it. Depends on temperature, speed, hills, etc. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less. I always try to avoid using the Rex but it's nice to have that option. Also, on the 2013-2016's even though they physically have a 2.4 gal tank it's software limited to 1.6 gal, but that can be adjusted with coding, too.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What's the reason for a software lock on a tank?

Because of CARB, In order to qualify as a range extended ev and not a plug in hybrid the gas range cannot exceed the battery only range. In order to meet that requirement BMW software limited the gas tank. In 2017 they put in a bigger battery and were able to get rid of the software lock.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 10, 2021

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Deteriorata posted:

How do you software limit the physical capacity of the gas tank?

The software measures the amount of fuel being burned, and when it reaches 1.6 gal it goes, "Okay, the tank is now empty. No more using gas." even though there is still .8 gal sitting physically in the tank.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Cockmaster posted:

I thought the whole point of adding the engine and crap was to be able to go on long trips that would be less than practical in the average pure EV.

Officially the range extender "is designed not for long-distance travel but purely as a short-term stopgap to get drivers to the next recharging location."

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

RZA Encryption posted:

I had no idea they were still making new i3s. A 2021 BEV with 153 mi range for $45k. That is wild. Apparently they only sold 1,508 of them in 2020.

The car is really a marvel of engineering. Carbon fiber body, empty channels were made between layers of carbon for running wires, threaded bores were placed between layers as well so no grommets would be needed, BMW came up with new ways of stamping and assembling parts to get very little waste, custom made generator parts were designed and stamped in house to reduce weight, the roof is a class A surface made entirely of waste from the body, and there's a ton more. It's like the engineers were given free reign, screw costs. Which of course lead to a car that's stupid expensive. I've heard people say it was really made to test all these innovations and if they can sell a few, great. If you have an hour to kill Munro and Associates did a full tear down of the car and talk about all the crazy engineering involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDr4L6BzpP8
I have no idea why a video made in 2015 looks straight of of the 80's.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Free charging today for Earth Day on EA chargers.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

stellers bae posted:

This is the most expensive charger I've ever personally encountered:

At peak that's like twice what it costs to run a 4Runner, assuming you're driving a Bolt, lol

I did some quick math and if you have an EV that gets 4 mi/kwh and compare it to an ICE that gets 22 mi/gallon, using that charger at peak would be like spending $7.3095/gallon on gas. If there are literally any other chargers in that area why would anyone in their right minds choose that one?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

1377 lbs that's really cutting it close. Honestly I'd be surprised if Ford doesn't sell a REX generator accessory.

Last year Ford filed a patent for a range extender that fits in the bed and looks like a tool box.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Kunabomber posted:

God drat, I just got a bug up my rear end and checked my panel again - I only have 1 single pole space :negative:

sub-panel installation here we come

edit: i guess i can just use a dual breaker. Phew

Just making sure you're not going to use the tandem breaker for the car. Use it for a different circuit and put in two full breakers for the charger. This is pretty much the exact situation we had at my workplace when they installed the EVSE, and that's what the electrician did. I'm sure there's a reason for that so if you're going to use a tandem breaker it's probably a good idea to do the same.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The i3's one pedal driving will take you to a complete stop, but as soon as it reaches 0 the brake lights turn off, which makes no sense to me. I always end up pressing the brake at stop signs and red lights so people behind me can see I'm clearly stopped.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ID Buzz production prototype spotted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/516718/volkswagen-id-buzz-production-spy-photos/

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

priznat posted:

My coworker just got a Model Y and his son is going bananas because he is really into Teslas. One weird thing he mentioned was the driving video game lets you use the wheel to control it, but it still moves the road wheels? I was surprised that this is a thing because that seems dumb as hell scuffing up the wheels although I guess it wouldn’t flat spot it too badly. Also surprised because I had assumed teslas were drive by wire.

I believe the only mass produced cars with steer-by-wire are the Infiniti Q50 and Q60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I thought you could charge on the superchargers with an adapter of some sort?

You can charge on Tesla destination chargers with a Tesla Tap but nothing like that exists for superchargers.