Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I bought an Ioniq 5! Loving it so far. Per thread rules here is a picture:

I'll be lurking the thread looking for advice on stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

WhiteHowler posted:

Congrats!

Is that the gold, er, "gold" color? Hard to tell in that light.

Yeah it’s the “gravity gold” which is more of a silvery champagne color. The dealership was giving 2500 off on all the matte finishes on top of the 7500 lease credit from Hyundai so I pulled the trigger on it. Going to buy out the lease as soon as I get my first bill.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, Italy just failed their European resiliency fund target for new public chargers location, likely grinding the whole program to an halt(not helped by an infrastructure minister which stated that electric car incentives are useless and we should invest more in biofuels).

Imagine still pitching biofuels in TYOL 2023. Bizarre.

For those that are interested, I was disappointed that the Ioniq 5 didn't have wireless carplay built in, but I found this little dongle on amazon and to my surprise it works perfectly!

Teeran CarPlay Wireless Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

kill me now posted:

It’s nice to not have to take my phone out of my pocket every single time I go for a drive…

I don’t need to charge just to take a 30 min or less drive.

I also can’t remember having issues connecting with wireless carplay between 5 different BMW/MINI’s I’ve had over the last 3 years.

Yeah it’s this, wireless CarPlay seamlessly connects my tunes and maps while the phone is still in my pocket, in seconds. Not having to deal with plugging in a cable for short drives is great. I or course would plug it in anyways if was going to be in the car for long enough that it would matter, but most of my trips are under 30 minutes.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Having grown up with my parents owning powerful but deeply unreliable German cars for most of my childhood, I definitely bought a Honda civic as my first car out of college out of desire for something incredibly boring. It served its purpose faithfully for 10 years without a single issue and only routine maintenance.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

Thanks to the thread for the advice on color. As a reward and thank you, here's a pic of my new IONIQ 5:

Congratulations it looks amazing!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Man we’re really hitting the hockey stick part of the curve as far as production goes, and adoption doesn’t seem to be far behind, 50% increase yoy is huge.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Wow that's extremely cool. I didn't know it had something like that.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

cruft posted:

Solar update: I asked the people what it would take to never need to buy electricity from the grid, only sell it. The answer that came back: 36 panels, for a total output of 14.4kW. They quoted $34k. This is before we get to talk about batteries.

That's a lot of everything.

e: and it looks a whole lot like we can't even install a residential PV system over 10kW without applying for a variance with the municipality's utilities board, which includes us making the case that there's no reasonable alternative.

ee: After reading the municipality's rules (which are pretty well-written, IMO), doing a bunch of arithmetic, and plugging things into an NREL tool, it appears we can install a maximum of 18 additional panels, which is exactly half what the installer pitched.

For what it’s worth, that’s probably a pretty fair price for a system that big. I got a 4kw ish system installed and it ran me 13k for everything.

Edit: I’m fully in support of you leaning hard into solar, especially in New Mexico. Being able to chunk that much off your electricity bills will feel amazing, and you’ll feel find about splurging on a little high energy stuff too.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I just got this one installed, it's working great so far

EMPORIA EV Charger Level 2, 48 amp Indoor/Outdoor Electric Car Charger

It seems to be the consensus pick where I was looking around, and it's relatively cheap as well.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

cruft posted:

The financials on the lightning are pretty compelling, though. Right now we're considering a $14k battery with a 30% tax rebate, or $4,200 rebate. So $9.8k for that battery, at 13kWh. The F-150 Lightning Pro has (I think) a 98kWh battery and costs $50k with a $7.5k tax rebate, or $42.5k. So the question we have to answer is, would we pay 4× as much for 7½× the battery, if they throw in a pickup truck at no additional cost?

The fact that home battery setups seem to cost more per kWh than vehicles has not made sense to me. Wouldn’t making a battery for a vehicle be more expensive and more difficult, given the larger range of conditions it would operate in?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm also considering an Ioniq 5 - especially given the incentives they've got running. I'm in CO so a lease buy-out is apparently a PITA but they have 0.99% financing and are throwing cash to get under MSRP. Coming down to a Model Y LR and the Ionic 5 - going to see if I can test drive both next week.

I’m extremely biased but I’ve been loving my Ioniq 5 so far. The lease buy out process was actually extremely painless in WA, not sure if CO is significantly different.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

A friend of mine hates her boyfriend’s Tesla because of the jerky deceleration. She gets physically ill riding in it. I suspect he’s also driving it poorly (I assume you are supposed to gently depress the pedal to slow down gradually?)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Confirmed the model Y fits in my garage! Now the hard part - I5 or MYLR?

How bad is EA charging really? Is it that much worse than Tesla for roadtrips? The Tesla tech and charging is great but man those creature comforts in the I5. I really like the ventilated seats.

EA is not great, but it definitely works. I've always been able to get a charge eventually, just be prepared to wait if the chargers are already all taken.

Also I love my I5 so far, highly recommend.

Ajaxify posted:

Also worth mentioning that the I5 comes with 2 years of free 30 minutes charging sessions. My first session I was able to go from roughly 12% to 80% battery on a 150kw charger in about 23 minutes. I tried a 350kw charger the second time and that did 24% to 80% in about 14 minutes.

Same, but annoyingly it's 30 minutes regardless of whether the station is performing as advertised, so you end up getting charged if the station is underallocating and can't charge you up in 30 minutes. That being said, the actual cost when you go over the 30 minutes is cheap enough it's basically a rounding error compared to the price of filling up a gasoline car.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 27, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Anecdotally, I enjoy my Emporia Charger, but I haven’t had it long enough to really speak to the reliability. I got one of their home energy monitors too which is very nifty.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

What current vehicles can take advantage of 48a L2 charging?

Ioniq 5, although apparently not necessarily for several hours, you might get throttled from overheating.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Ioniq 5 and EV6 support v2l.

Notably only 15 amps at 120v though. It’s enough to run some appliances or maybe a hot plate but certainly not your whole house.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

MrLogan posted:

As someone who's never considered leasing, how does buying out a lease work right after you start the lease?

I understand buying the car at a set amount in the contract after the lease expires or turning it in, but how do you buy the car a week after leasing it?

I just did this on my Ioniq 5 and it was pretty painless. Basically as soon as you get the lease set up and can log into the Hyundai finance website, you can get a payoff quote, and they pay the exact amount required to pay off, I had to do it in two payments because Hyundai had a maximum of 25k in a single payment. Then your lease transitions into a bought out state and they will request an odometer disclosure from you and then send you your title.

At least that's the idea, I still haven't gotten my title, they sent me a certificate that said they had removed the lien from my vehicle but apparently by buying it out immediately I actually kinda short circuited their system because the title hadn't gotten to them from the state yet. According to them I should get it "eventually".

In any case, doing the immediate lease buyout more or less comes out to being exactly the same as paying in cash, minus about a thousand dollars in lease origination fees or what have you, so effectively you pocket a 6.5k discount. It's not bad at all.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

EA chargers are the worst CCS fast chargers, except for every other CCS fast charger.

I think they could probably get their shot together eventually, like others said there have seemed to be improvements, but man oh man it really should not be as janky as it is a lot of the time, and the capacity needs to be way way higher.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

cruft posted:

I never understood these arguments. Let's take Ford, with $21mil, which is a lot, I'll admit. But Ford is a big company: Google has Ford with 186,000 employees.

If we fire the CEO and split that salary up equally, then everyone at the company gets an extra $112.90 per year.

CEO Pay is the easiest thing to point to because it's obviously unfair, so it makes a good propaganda piece, but in reality, if you want to soak the rich to improve the lives of those at the bottom of the company you want to slash things like stock grants, stock buybacks, and executive pay across the board.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Honky Mao posted:

I make an olive and my boss makes three, that's why he drives the mustang mach e

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

For the price range (~$45k including either a tax credit or dealer-assisted lease-buyout shenanigans), I think these meet all your criteria:

- Hyundai Ioniq 5
- Hyundai Ioniq 6
- Kia EV6
- Volkswagen ID.4
- Mustang Mach-E

Other cars people talk about a lot in this thread:
- Tesla Model 3 (no CarPlay, no driver-side dash)
- Chevy Bolt EV/EUV (no fast charging, range is 240-260 on most trims)
- Volvo EX30 (no driver-side dash)
- Polestar 2 (close, but above your price range and not eligible for tax credit)
- Toyota bZ4x (no Carplay, 250ish range, may not actually exist to buy)
- Nissan Leaf (poor range, CHAdeMO is the dumbest thing ever in 2023)

There are a lot of luxury brands that are varying levels of "good" but aren't really close to your price range other than the BMW i4.

GM has a bunch of affordable new EVs coming out soon, but they're ditching CarPlay and Android Auto on all their new cars.

And I guess there's the Honda Prologue coming next year, but I don't know a ton about it.

The Hyundai Kona EV might be a good pick too. Significantly cheaper than a Ioniq 5 but has most of the bells and whistles. Personally I love my Ioniq 5, so I’d recommend that one.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Good news! Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is switching to NACS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERH1UHA0k_E

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Mine loves to trigger when I am backing out of my driveway into the right lane because it sees cars in the left lane and thinks I'm going to try to back right into them. It's highly annoying but I'd rather have a few false positives than have it miss a real issue.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

You might be able to change your App Store locale temporarily to download the app and then switch back. I had to do that on iOS to get the app for my electric bills which was only available in Italy.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJGPHL9 but I haven't installed it yet. Supposed to integrate nicely with the charger but I had to wait for the charger installation to be inspected so hopefully I'll do it soon.

I have this thing. It’s pretty rad, although I wish it had more sensors. It’s also turns your breaker box into a horrifying nest of wires but that’s fine.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

cruft posted:

Could someone explain to me what all this poo poo is? I don't recognize any of it.

Other than 3.5mm male TS plugs, which I'm going to wager aren't for audio.

All those white clasp connectors go around each of the hot lines coming from your breakers. They do indeed hook up to the base unit via a 3.5mm audio jack, presumably because the signal they get is analog anyways. Each clasp measures the total amperage being pulled per circuit so you can get a nice display of where your power is going. Here’s what mine looks like:

You’ll notice it doesn’t add up to 100%, that’s because I don’t have my ev charger monitored by it, since it’s an emporia charger it is in the app separately. Also I hosed I’m choosing which circuits to monitor and missed a couple high load ones, but am too lazy to fix it right now.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

In italy it's expensive fuel and food but both decent quality.

I love the Autogrill paninis and especially the blood orange orange juice, oh my god my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Saukkis posted:

The association that had gathered these statistics also noted that between Q2/2022 and Q2/2023, fast charging stations increased by 101%.

I wonder how fast they are getting built out in the US? I don't think it's that fast

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Apparently you’ll soon be able to order a Hyundai on Amazon, if that appeals to you.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

Reposting from the Terrible Car thread

Holy crap the car tries to crash itself like 15 times in 10 minutes and the guy is still talking it up like it’s genius. What a twat.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

"It's like it's got a mind of its own, so impressive!" I shout as my car keeps trying to drive itself into oncoming traffic

e: to be fair I might do the same if I was driving these dudebros around

Yeah after a while it starts to feel like it’s trying to kill itself and its passengers on purpose.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I really like the look of the ID.4. I suppose it’s probably too early to know how difficult it is maintenance wise? My parents drove VWs and Audis for my entire childhood and they were constantly in the shop so I’ve become quite wary of German cars, but an EV should have a lot less points of failure.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah wireless charging your phone is fine because that uses so little energy to begin with but if you’re wireless charging your car you’re going to be losing multiple kWh of power to transmission losses on every charge, we can’t really afford to be throwing away energy like that.

Also it would really only makes sense to put the coils where cars would be stopped for a long time, like stop lights, so you’d really only be getting 5 minutes max of charging per charge.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I mean I get that it’s a profit center but the apps for all my other smart devices are free. My fuckin vacuum tells me how charged it is for free.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

kimcicle posted:

Don't you hate it when you go out for one thing and end up buying something that you'll regret?

Introducing the ugliest car in this thread bar none:

A 2024 iX is now in my driveway.

Congrats!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Dang it does look rad af.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Is there such a thing as an EVSE that turns into a V2L adapter during a power outage? I have a charger, and I have a V2L adapter and a bunch of extension cables, but it feels like it should be possible for those two things to be the same

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm pretty sure the 500e and electric Mini are coming to NA somewhat soon.

Is the electric Mini not already here? I definitely saw one the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

priznat posted:

Yep that’s 100% the case here even with the locals - most folks have never learned to drive on snow/ice and also don’t have the tires to do it either. We get a lot of rain and even still people are pretty bad when it gets rainy so they’re utterly hopeless when it snows.

I’m very much a “drive to the conditions” person who errs on the side of caution but I’m in the minority, sadly.

A coworker of mine saw someone abandon their car in the middle of the road rather than drive in light snow, here in Seattle WA.