Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My Prius was totaled a couple weeks back (2nd time in just over 4 years where somebody ran through a stop sign and ran into me, both times I had Priuses) and now it's time to get a new car so I've decided to go for a Bolt and get out of the ICE game.

I realize that it's probably going to be a while before they are actually available again since production literally only started again today at GM, but I was wondering if there was any advice from Bolt owners here. I'm looking at getting a 2LT and adding on the dual charger and the infotainment package. The vast majority of my driving will be in the city (maybe 10 miles a day more or less) with trips between 200 - 500 miles a few times a year. I've heard GM's incentive right now is them installing a 240v home charger if you get a 2022 model- does anyone have any experience with that as well?

Please help a total EV n00b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'm figuring that adding a couple hours for charging on a road trip from San Francisco to Santa Monica would be normal more or less.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

They're not going to install a charger, they're going to give you a "credit" toward installing a charger, which the dealer will immediately pocket in a shell game. I think it's like $500. I recommend you try to get the dealer to turn that credit into, like, the dual-level charging cord, an extra key fob, and the interior protection package, which should be the same amount.

Unless you have a sub panel in your unfinished garage and want the EVSE to go a meter away from that, $500 isn't enough to cover the installation cost.

Also, the Bolt is fine for occasional road trips, just bear in mind you're gonna be charging a lot. You sound like a good candidate for this. If you're doing a 2-day drive, maybe rent a car for it.

The charging thing I'm speaking of is this: https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging-installation - did you have problems with it?

Yeah when I take trips like I've mentioned most of the time they are leisurely. I guess I'll decide on a rental depending on the trip itself.

Also thanks for the thoughts on getting something larger like a Mach E but the Bolt is really in that sweet spot of physical size and range. Being in San Francisco I simply don't want or need a car that is almost 2' longer than the bolt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

Why would you not coat your EV in EVOO instead?

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

In my humble opinion, the best model of the vehicle is the one that I own(ed) and all others are inferior

Agreed: my 1980 toyota tercel was a fukkin' hoot.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is the Bolt blue a metallic or simple monotone?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

It's metallic, kinda sparkles in the light.

It's a lot prettier than the Tesla paint, in my opinion.

Groovy- my last 2 Priuses were metallic blue and I’ve been wondering about the Bolt. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Bolt EV is the absolute sweet spot of distance on a charge, vehicle size, and cost of vehicle. Most others drop one of those completely so I’m hoping that the 2023 model is loving announced before I plop down a deposit on one. I’m pretty tired of seeing EVs being announced that are enormous and/or $50k+

edit: even the thought of dropping $37k for a loving CAR is making me sweat. It's $12k more than I've ever spent on a vehicle before. poo poo. gently caress.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 2, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been wanting to get a 2022 Bolt EV2 and it looks like there is one on a lot in driving distance from me. It's been there for almost a year and now is available so I'm assuming it's battery has been swapped. Is there a site where I can put in the car's VIN and see if that has happened?

edit: it's unfortunately not in the color I would like at all but it's price is right and it has the infotainment package which is important to me. I wish I had more time but I really do need to replace my car that was totaled over a month ago.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks- aaaaaand it already sold 😑

edit: well there's one in the color I want closer- hopefully I don't have to go chasing too much.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 11, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welcome to buying an EV in 2022, friend. It’s not going to get any better

Yeah another place looks like it's actually taking delivery of a couple new ones this week (they've been 'in transit' for weeks but suddenly they have VINs on the site for them and it's saying it should be delivered today). Hopefully I can deal with it quickly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

2023 Bolt EUV getting a "redline" edition.

https://insideevs.com/news/585455/2023-chevy-bolt-euv-redline-edition-coming/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Squibbles posted:

In an emergency simply refer to this handy infographic

https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1384565697100066816

holy poo poo lmao

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anybody have recommendations for a replacement type 1 J1772 cable? The one for my dad's volt died, and there's mostly a bunch of no-name stuff around and then pretty much jumps up directly to $400+ type 2. He has no 240v circuit and no real need for one yet anyway.

Maybe try to find a gently used nissan leaf one or similar? Looks like maybe $150-250 in that range which still seems high.

Try https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-battery-charger-portable-120-volt-ev-unit-84966858
$464 for the first one I found. eBay for a used OEM one seems to be the best choice.

Jesus CHRIST that's more expensive than the 240v Bolt charger. Sorry I was expecting it to be $200 less than that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

Let me tell you about the 2 days I've spent trying to 3D print a headrest button for the Bolt, so I don't have to spend $200 on a new one.

Once this is done, anybody else who needs one will be able to make one for about 15 cents worth of PLA plastic. And I am super motivated to do this work, because $200 for a plastic button is highway robbery.

Dang, thanks.

Talking about 3D printed parts for the Bolt- someone posted this spacer that holds the charger in place. I bookmarked it for later when I (hopefully) finally get my Bolt.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3862271

Also a goofy but cheap good idea someone posted in a bolt forum is using this dog collar around the charge port to illuminate it if you are in a dark area.

I don't think you could use both of those 2 together though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

The bolt charge port doesn't lock in? what the hell?

Isn't that rather dangerous with all that current?

Apparently it has a tendency to sag and loose connection which sucks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well I finally found a good dealer for my future Bolt- but all of their 2022 models are spoken for and they are books closed on ordering any new Bolts until the 2023MY are ready. 😑

Edit: at least that gives me more time to build more money to put down on it so my loan will be lower.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gee that sounds perfectly reasonable for a safety system

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo big if true: Bolt EV and EUV 2023 MY are getting $6000 price cuts :dance:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/2023-chevy-bolt-ev-euv-get-major-price-cuts-to-stay-competitive/ar-AAXY48S

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 1, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now I'm considering getting a EUV instead of a 2EV - $6k is a huge drop

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'd probably be taking ~4 trips from San Francisco to SoCal a year, so adding an hour or two so to make semi-frequent stops really doesn't bother me. The main reason I'd want an EUV over an 2EV honestly is the sunroof option, but at the same time apparently it's a known problem that the seal on it has been known to peel back at highway speeds. :/

This is pretty much a sign that this MY Bolt is going to be the last one since they are moving to the Ultimum batteries for future cars.

edit: official info from the horse's mouth

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/bolt-ev/2023.html

edit: other than the price change the only new things seem to be optional new red paint job (old one discontinued), optional illuminated charge port, and new optional floor liners. I'm in.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 1, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hunh, that’s neat

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Too bad my new Bolt I'll be getting wont support it but interesting news nonetheless.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really am curious what Tesla will be like after musk explodes in a mars rocket. Will it implode because it doesn’t have their con artist figurehead, or will it be taken over by people who actually know how to run a car company.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sonic Dude posted:

I hope the latter. I like my car, and I’d like to see where software updates and new models go when they’re driven by things like customer satisfaction and market research.

Yeah a part of me thinks that there is a good chance some level heads will actually try and make it work instead of just vulture capitalists picking the bones because regardless of what a lot of people (including me) think of it’s shitlord head, it IS a really recognizable and positive brand in the minds of millions of people. I’d actually like to see what happens if it tightens up, actually has union representation, and less erratic decision making.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

PPF / Ceramic Coat installed :woop:

Nice! Would you mind telling how much it was? I've got no idea what to expect on that.

edit: petition to rename frunk to fupa.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 17, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

PPF + Coat was $1750. Another outfitter place nearby threw me a similar quote and it was actually a bit lower than some of the numbers thrown of people that posted their ceramic coat / ppf installs on the EV6 subreddit but that might be a regional thing.

Actually a bit lower than I expected. Of course being in San Francisco and planning on doing it on a completely different car will change things but it gives me a ballpark. Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bad_fmr posted:

Solar roof does not create nearly enough power to run the AC. Enough to run some fans for ventilation maybe.

I had this on my 2010 Prius and it worked pretty well. The interior would be hot, but not nearly as bad if it didn't have said fans running.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gee who would have expected this from a company run by a south African blood emerald empire descendant. I'm shocked.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finally was able to get my order in for a 2023 Bolt EV 2LT. :toot:

It'll probably be late October by the time I get it :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

Pretty sure the "free chevy install" is more like "here's $500 to offset hiring an electrician".

Even if it isn't, I sure would want a car dealership doing electrical work on my house.

It’s $1000 and you go through electricians from a pool they choose but yep.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yo nice car and pro as gently caress cat

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now now, you aren't thinking clearly. You should be wanting the CEOs of the corps to be shot in the face.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've seen conflicting statements about the Bolt's battery manufacture location. Initially it was all in south korea obviously but I think something I saw said Michigan now, but I don't know if that's just pack assembly and the cells still come from south korea or what. That could limit the amount of the rebate. Not sure how that applies to the ID4 though either as I didn't think SK Innovation's US plant was up and running yet.

The battery is made in South Korea and a small percentage of parts are made outside of the USA but the majority is made here and it’s assembled in Michigan.

No electric car sold this year will get the new tax rebate iirc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

I put down a deposit on one of these, I’ve been watching them try to make this car for over a decade but I guess the tech is finally there to slot in and make a go of it:

https://youtu.be/mpiH-Y-HOvE

Who knows how many years out it actually is or if it will be jank or not, happy to give them $100 to be going for it though. I also live near them so I could actually get it serviced in theory.

I… I actually love this. I’m getting a Bolt EV LT but the idea of getting something like this in a 600 mile model as a car for going on drives to LA or Portland is seriously appealing to me. I might put a deposit down on one and be a 2-car rear end in a top hat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

Why do you assume it’s bullshit? If you know the amount of energy it takes to move the car a mile, the range is pretty easy to calculate depending on how much battery you have. The thing is featherweight and slippery as a fish, I believe it when they say it can do 10mi per kwh.

*edit* I swear everyone just assumes this is a scam off the bat because it looks so wild

This is the car forum: everyone here is loving nuts.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Automotive Insanity is probably the most well adjusted, sane and inhabited by relatively normal people who are mostly a bunch of Dads talking poo poo on the Internet of all the forums on SA.

Wether that is good or says it all about SA is debateable

Oh I totally agree and I focus that same energy on PVC figures of Godzilla so I'm crazier than a shithouse buzzard, so I should know.

edit:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We call these trains and busses and yes everyone should be using them

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 19, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Need more EV busses, now. Rode an electric trolley the other day and it was amazing how quiet it was when stopped. The cabin is still a big bucket of bolts that rattles horribly over bumps, but what are you gonna do.

A great deal of San Francisco's buses have been electric for decades- but they are powered by overhead wiring so they are technically trolleys, just not on tracks.

edit: lol I just remembered when someone did this a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Leaf batteries that suffered serious degradation were air cooled. Any type of liquid cooling is going to prevent that kind of issue even if it’s insufficient to allow the car to perform multiple drag runs.

It’s also also not that hard to “baby” you EV battery. Most of it stuff that will just happen through normal use.

1. Don’t DCFC all the time - most people are charging at home
2. Don’t got WOT all the time - most people are afraid to hit their accelerator too hard already and the iX buying crowd probably isn’t going to have a high hooligan contingent
3. Generally keep the battery between 10-80% for regular use - This is the only unintuitive one but it’s also generally easily configured within an app and once you know it you know it.

Sorry: WOT?