Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
For my Tesla solar panel order, they are now putting in the paperwork for the county permits. I ordered 3.5 weeks ago. They project permitting takes 1-5 weeks when you initially order. We'll see if they turn it around in a week and a half.

I wonder how long it would have taken if I hadn't called with a couple questions and been told they need to send me paperwork. Then following up once a week for a couple weeks until they actually sent me the paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Can you share any details of what you're ordered? I'm considering some solar, and am trying to judge bids.

I got the medium system (8.16 kW) with no Powerwalls. Managed to actually get lucky on the timing and ordered when they dropped to $16k, but before they updated to $16.4k and got a $250 referral credit from MrYenko instead of the $100 credit.

I ended up getting six or seven quotes and Tesla was by far the best price per kW.

From what I can tell, they try to make up the price delta by "offering" to buy your SRECs from you by giving you a discount (I think they might call it a "rebate"). For our system, they offered $1,300 selling the SRECs. I can sell the SRECs for ~$600/year based on the research I did at an SREC brokerage. So Tesla would be ahead after two years. Selling to Tesla is the default option and I can see a lot of people not understanding how SRECs work and not opting out of selling them to Tesla for the life of the system instead of keeping the SRECs and selling thru a brokerage. The laws could also end up changing and I might not be able to sell them or something as well.

The SREC value is going to be different from place to place, I believe (or even might not be available). My research is based on Maryland.

For the powerwall, I like the concept but it was just way too much money for what it does compared to the system. I think they said it was $8k for a single powerwall, but they may have recently updated those prices as well. I'll probably add some sort of battery backup in the feature once battery prices have dropped some more.

All the customer service folks I've spoken with have been nice, but it would be better they just moved the paperwork along with me needing to call.

Worth noting that the federal tax credit for solar is ramping down and disappears after 2021 unless they change the law. That was a big motivator to get it completed this year for us.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Thanks. Yeah the SRECs are all gone for my location. I had a similar take on the battery benefits, just not all that great for the money right now.

I've gotten a couple quotes, but they are for plain vanilla systems - which might be my best option, but I don't know what other options exist. When I talk with them, it seems they're not really equipped to my level of questions. For example are there higher output per sq/ft options? Other things I should consider in terms of future proofing? What's the latest tech here?
I also wonder what will happen with tax rebates in the future, depending on the election and the current tax rebate declining.

Maybe I haven't found the right group. But I feel like I have a lack of full understanding for rooftop solar. Does anyone have an 'advanced solar guide' that has more advanced options? In the end, I might select the 'tried and true' option, but I'd at least like to know what's new and coming.

I just went by kW/$ and Tesla was the best by far. I'm not sure what you mean by vanilla systems. Other than provide electricity, I don't have any expectations out of my solar system.

If you do decide to go with Tesla, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my referral link.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Update on my Tesla solar order:

It's been 5 weeks since they put in my order and they list the permitting process as 1-5 weeks. I called because they hadn't made any status updates on the website.

They haven't even applied for the permit yet, lol.

They blamed the hold up because they were waiting on a document from me for county permitting. I forwarded them the document which I had sent within 3 hours of them emailing. I had called the next day to confirm they had it; not sure how they went from yes, we have it to having no clue where the document was.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I thought Tesla solar panels were vaporware.

You're thinking of the solar roof. Tesla (Musk) bought his cousin's solar panel company a few years ago at an inflated value to help him out.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Yes, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Thought they'd have the process pretty automated at this point as a technology company.

I can't imagine having to deal with all this if I had a car issue.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

No updates on my Tesla solar order. It's been two weeks since they told me 1-2 weeks to finalize permitting and I haven't received any updates. So far, they've taken 7 weeks for the permitting step.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Update on my solar panel order. I called because I hadn't received any updates in two weeks (previous call Tesla had told me 1-2 weeks to finalize permits). They applied for the permit yesterday. No idea why it took them two weeks to apply for the permit after they told me they expected permits to be finalized in 1-2 weeks, but here we are.

They now said they expect 1-2 weeks to get the permit back so call back if I haven't heard anything in two weeks.

So going to be at 9 weeks for the permitting step when Tesla's website states it takes 1-5 weeks.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I'm glad Tesla made EVs affordable for the masses by coming out with the Model 3 six months after the Bolt was released.

I think the idea that idea that Tesla is ahead of the competition is from comparing price points. A model Y at $50k looks pretty compelling compared to the competition selling at $70k.

However, I don't think the price delta is due to any secret sauce on Tesla's part.

Legacy auto makers actually have to make a profit on their cars. If Tesla increased prices by $10k so they made money instead of selling cars for a loss it would change the narrative quite a bit.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

If ford or toyota comes out with an electric Ranger or Tacoma that can at least get comparable range as my current M3, AND has a built up network of chargers that is easily accessible ala Superchargers, I would trade in a heartbeat.

That seems like a weird apple to oranges comparison. Electric truck vs ICE sedan.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Can you post credible sources showing Tesla is still selling Model 3/Ys at a loss?

I mean, good luck finding any credible source in the abyss of misinformation floating around on the web, but at least in articles dated in the last year or so on google for "tesla model 3 margin" the consensus seems to be ~20%, with some configurations almost reaching 40%.

Yes, look at their quarterly earnings report and their profit. Now subtract the amount they get from selling clean energy credits to other manufacturers. The number isn't positive.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

In case anyone at home is still following along, Tesla is still working on permitting for my solar panels.

It's been over 11 weeks since I initially ordered at this point. Their estimate of 1-5 weeks for permitting seems a bit off.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Correct. I usually call every one to two weeks to ask what the next step is and that seems to prompt them to actually take action.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Are they doing regular panels or a solar roof thing?

Because I just got the ball rolling on solar 2 months ago and it did not take anywhere near 5 weeks for permitting, but this is glorious communist LAfornia.

Either they hosed up somewhere or there's one dude taking care of permits who's doing jack poo poo.

Regular ol' panels. Tesla isn't on the ball with paperwork.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Tesla must have heard me bitching on here because they just uploaded a bunch more paperwork for me to fill out on the website!

It's the exact same paperwork that I completed two months ago!

I'm not going to get my solar panels installed by the end of 2020 for the tax credit, am I?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Beffer posted:

US building regulations are mysterious. I see posts where people are talking about rewiring their own house without getting an electrician, and yet it takes months to get approval to stick solar on your roof.

It's the reverse in Australia. By law only an electrician can mess with your power points, etc, but putting up solar is a breeze. The installer instals, the power company is notified and a week or two later you're good to go.

Is it US power companies just putting in place regulatory obstacles to rooftop PV?

This is Tesla being bad at their job, not a regulatory issue.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Tesla solar panel update: they finally did permitting and the install is scheduled for later this month.

I'll let everyone know when my roof catches on fire.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Any strong opinions on the e-tron? Our local dealer has leftover 2019s heavily discounted.

How accurate is the 205 mile range?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Tesla installed my solar panels yesterday. 4 months from ordering to install. My roof hasn't caught fire yet.

Waiting on county and utility inspectors then I can turn it on.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

This is the ev thread.

I think you'll find it's v4 of the Tesla thread.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

My solar system was officially activated by Tesla today. ~4.5 months, ordered at the end of June. Glad they were able to finalize by the end of the calendar year.

Now to a) file all the paperwork for rebates, b) start looking at electric cars.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ola posted:

drat man, congrats. But...how will you get there? Does it include interstellar travel?

You take a Roadster (Roadstar?) obviously. Why do you think they put one in space?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Just got a copy of the county permit from Tesla since I need it to file for my state solar rebate.

The permit was issued mid-August. No idea what happened during the two months from mid-August thru mid-October when Tesla kept telling me that they were waiting on the permit to schedule the install.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I'll never be free of dealing with Tesla for these solar panels. I've been trying to get them to send me an invoice/receipt for the Maryland tax rebate for about two weeks. Apparently it's not something that is possible on their end.

I also have to deal with them for my SRECs. Customer service folks are claiming I sold them to Tesla despite no evidence.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Shamino posted:

It's so strange to me the legacy manufacturers (other than Chevy, and to a lesser extent Ford) are being dragged kicking and screaming into the EV era. I would think it they would be all about EVs since they're radically easier to manufacture.

Legacy auto makers have to make a profit.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

After 3 weeks of calls, I finally got all the paperwork needed for my state solar rebate and it's been successfully submitted. Hopefully it goes thru.

I still haven't been able to get my SRECs. Tesla deleted my SREC application and are claiming they own the SRECs and are trying to use a document that they added my initials to to prove it. Apparently they think I sold them the SRECs for $0 out of the goodness of my heart. I'm currently on call #4 to try and get the SRECs resolved. Thought it was fixed a couple weeks ago when the customer rep confirmed that I owned the SRECs and sent me the link to apply for them.

I can't imagine having to deal with having a car issue with this company.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Yes, I told them the first time that they shouldn't initial things on my behalf. I've got copies of everything.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

lol, Tesla just said that they decided not to let customers keep their SRECs. So they should be able to keep mine with no compensation.

Like, I'm not sure where to even begin.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Still waiting on a call back from Tesla. They said they escalated the issue and I should hear back from them this week (I won't).

Here's how it seems their grift works:

1) Create a new contract and initial on the customers behalf that says the customer is selling Tesla the SRECs for well below the market value of the SRECs
2) Never send this new contract to anyone
3) When customer complains/finds out, deny creating a new contract; blame finance arm for giving you too big of a loan (because they have the original contract that doesn't have a discount for selling Tesla SRECs)
4) Assume customer won't do anything because lawyers are too expensive

Right now, MD SRECs are $79/each. My system generates 10/year.

I'm not sure why they think I'd sell them something worth $790/year for $1,300. Even if the SRECs decrease in value, the payback period is less than two years and I don't think they'd decline that quickly. Google indicates that I could sell the rights for the SRECs for $300/each upfront on the open market if I don't want to deal with selling them every year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

After way too many phones call and emails, Tesla has finally recognized that they didn't give me a credit/money/etc. for the SRECs and that they are mine. My long nightmare of dealing with their customer service is finally over (I think).

I also got my referral check today, so hopefully a random goon from this thread also got their $250.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

MrYenko posted:

!

Gotta go check the mail.

Grats on winning. Tesla customer service (for the automotive side, anyway,) has never struck me as malicious so much as occasionally glaringly incompetent. Not even from an individual rep standpoint so much as a process standpoint.

I'd describe their customer service as maliciously incompetent. Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I mean, if you want a car with a bad interior, poor reliability, goes fast in a straight line, and costs a lot then Tesla is the natural progression point from BMW.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Honestly, 3 new EV's total from automakers not named Tesla is loving pathetic. It's a perfect demonstration of how unserious the industry is about the EV switch. They're unable to kick the profits they make off parts, I'm guessing. Many places are looking at banning ICE cars completely by 2030. This is 2021 and we have a single-digit number of serious EVs on the market from brands not named Tesla, most of which cost well over $50k? Automakers deserve to be dragged kicking and screaming into this. Tax ICE cars and funnel the money into EV incentives, whatever.

I think it's a slow transition because legacy automakers have to make money by selling cars, not that they aren't serious.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Price is definitely an issue but last I checked there is still a healthy appetite among the buying public for electric cars! You can ding Tesla all you want for their QA, build quality, etc., but at the end of the day, people really, really want their product, even at a higher price than equivalent ICE cars. Much of that surely reflects economic bifurcation, but there it is.

Yes, but would they sell as many Tesla's if the price was 10% higher so Tesla could make a profit?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I remain flabbergasted that BMW is still considered a luxury brand and that people consider their interiors/materials to be nice.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Advent Horizon posted:

Juneau, Alaska.

This is a place where people with money drive beaters and their receptionists drive Mercedes. My department director, appointed directly by and reporting directly to the State Governor, drives a mid-2000s Subaru. The next person below her drives an equally old Hyundai.

How did your director get a car from 2,500????

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

cruft posted:

I mean, it could be anything. Maybe it's easier to retool the assembly process for M3 and MY because those are anymore highly automated. Maybe there's this one guy named Hal who understands how the radar cable is routed on MS and MX, and he was out on vacation in Wyoming a few weeks ago so he couldn't rework the assembly process document. Maybe a chicken got stuck in this one room in the Freemont factory where they would remold the front bumper part, and they're still waiting for a cleaning crew to get the smell out before they redesign it to not have a radar.

Who makes the MY? BMW makes the M3, is the MY a new BMW coming out?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Really want to know who the people are that buy a $40k car, but have an income of less than $117k are.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Dog goes in the frunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a bunch of cars carried "5 speed" badges back in the day when having a 5 speed transmission was dope af

porsche should put a "2 speed" badge on the taycan

TwinCam!