Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

small ones, cut in half or quarters. more surface area for salt that way

I would totally do salt potatoes. Just need to figure out the butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yes but crankbros pedals are guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Which is why I keep riding my bike: to finally witness the spectacle I've been denied still after tens of thousands of miles on them

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Coredump posted:

My Garmin connect app on my phone still says it’s under going maintenance and when I try to log my weight it freaks out. :(

iOS? I think there's an issue that you can resolve by reauthorizing or something

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

nm posted:

I use a Rhythm+ which is similar. I wear it high up above the bicep (which is allowed for the Rhythm at least). I have always ridden with sunsleeves and have no issues.

I've been wearing my tickr fit on my upper bicep on mtb rides where elbow pads would get in the way of the normal positioning; no issues thus far this summer

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

counterpoint a 650b gravel bike with some plush 47+ slicks will be 100% better than this

if only you had a bike that would fit 650b wheels and 47c tires

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

The other reason people run tubeless is for off-road use, where you lower the tire pressure to improve traction, as it makes it impossible to pinch flat (as there is no tube to pinch).

Oh you absolutely can pinch flat a tubeless mtb tire. It's just quite a bit harder.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

Wait, really?
Is it just like... cutting the sidewall as a result?

yeah, same deal. I haven't had it happen to me but it happened to a buddy of mine on a Ripley LS with Schwalbe tires before he went Ripmo with Maxxis. Hit a sharp edge rock at speed/jump landing, bottom out suspension, and the rim + rock come together and cut open the sidewalls.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

yoohoo posted:

Worth every penny.

FWIW I still have yet to hear someone articulate why 1UP is worth the premium over, say, Kuat (which is itself pretty pricey). I've been perfectly happy with my Kuat, so consider those also. Anecdotally where I live (and I acknowledge this is not true everywhere), I see 1Up racks highly correlated with conspicuous consumption like luxury SUVs (range rovers, etc), and also with having lovely bikes (weirdly)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

I read a lot of reviews about the Thule and Kuat racks where the plastic bits eventually got UV damage after a few years and would break. I didn't want to deal with that. I also like the modularity, that I can just have one tray if I wanted. The additional trays are easy to put on and take off.

The trays also fold down really nicely and can be stowed away in the super heavy duty boxes that they come in for storage.

In the end, the cost in the end isn't much different than the expensive Kuat. Sure I don't have the mobile works stand or other bits, but the all aluminum construction was worth it for me.

Crumps Brother posted:

One thing I like about the 1up style is that you get a bit of wiggle room for bike positioning. You can move the bikes forwards/backwards a bit and it goes a long way towards making sure multiple bikes can fit around each other with no problems. I'm just waiting for them to get off of backorder so I can get my order in for an Equip-D.

Cool, this is actually helpful in a way that I've not had described before. I've got a full 2+2 kuat now, so I doubt I would be shopping for a 1up at any point soon (unless i put a hitch mount on my sedan), but will bear in mind.

kimbo305 posted:

Setting aside the need to fix an adjustment issue with the bike, pedaling at a laid back 60rpm is getting you to 18mph on the gearing. You might consider using an easier gear and upping cadence.

Did I miss where he said either the speed or cadence he was riding at??

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Amongst the advantages of living definitely-within-reasonable-mtb-daytrip-distance of epilot:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

hell yeah.
What post ride nutrition trash you gonna eat?

well would you look at the time, it's beer and mint oreos o'clock

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

I'd kill for a good bike murder basement

bike murder hull. think about it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

im a large man living in canada and this is pertinent to my interests

pm sent

If you're actually a large man, large is probably not the right size for you. I got medium and am 6'2, 155lbs, and it is on the small side for me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Finally finished my ride around the Bay that I had been planning since the beginning of SIP. Took a little longer than a normal 300k mostly because of the 3k extra feet of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4308324762

I really need to spend more time in the East Bay. Tilden Park and Palomares Road were both amazing. Marin road in Berkeley had a ridiculous incline and we had to walk up in since my friend and I were both wheeling.

In terms of nutrition:

2 Ensure Extra (350 calories each)
2 SIS Beta Fuel packs
1 Jumbo Jack
1 Steak sandwich from a Brazilian BBQ Place
.5 hamburger at Nation's
3 Cokes
1 Pack of Honey Gel (Some kind of Gel, I can't remember)

woof, how on earth did you end up going up Marin Ave?? That's a rough climb on any ride or bike, let alone one like that. Continuing straight on Spruce all the way to Grizzly Peak is the way to go to get up there, for sure.

For others' context, the full climb up Marin is about 3/4 of a mile and averages 17% or so. The top part that he rode up is even steeper, over 20% for about a quarter mile or so.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 9, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

For at least two months Strava (app to record bike rides etc.) has been messing up my ride times and calories. Yesterday I figured out the bug.

Strava (on the iPhone) now goes into AUTO-PAUSE at speeds under 4mph.

Since almost all my rides involve double-digit grade climbs at 2.7 mph to 3.8mph, Strava is messing up the times on every ride. It gets the distance right, it even gets the route, but it messes up the time ridden.

See the compare on this ride.

The speed threshold for auto pause is a good bit lower than 4mph (it's not hard to confirm this by looking at activities with auto pause enabled that were going slower than 4mph and didn't pause); if you weren't actually going substantially slower than that, it is likely that your phone was misreporting your speed as being 0 or very near it. The easy solution to that problem, if you don't particularly care for autopause to begin with, is to disable it, as someone else mentioned.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

How? I'd love to disable auto-pause but I don't see that in the app.

And I can absolutely see the auto-pause happening at 3.8mph.

If you’re on iOS, go to the record screen, hit settings in the upper left. Autopause settings should be on that screen.

If you see data points at 3.8mph, that means it was included in the data and not removed by autopause. OS location services can sometimes do funny things and result in some hard to interpret data (like reporting 0 speed when maybe it’s not really 0?) caveat: not a mobile dev

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

At a lot of crosswalks the pedestrian walk symbol doesn't light up unless the button is pushed.

That button often doesn't work either because it's broken or it's DELIBERATELY DISABLED by whatever traffic authority is responsible for that intersection.

It's also called a beg button.

gently caress north american traffic control systems and their proiritzation of vehicular traffic above all else, even in the middle of winter when people standing in a wind swept intersection at -30 have to wait for loving ever while assholes in heated vehicles get priority because 'traffic flow' is prioritized. I hope a computer virus crashes them all one day and sends the entire continent into gridlock.

This is all true and not at all applicable in the situation where someone rides through without stopping and assumes right of way when they don’t have it.

If you stop or at least check that your path is clear before proceeding? Sure. But none of what you said is relevant to the question of whether a cyclist has right of way, or is even being reasonable, in that situation.

I get the frustration, and abhor poo poo like that where cyclists are not accounted for. One of the worst is sensor based lights that don’t trigger for bikes. Or just that in general. I will admit to turning left on a red arrow driving the other day after sitting through several light cycles with no green, and I can’t even count the number of times I’ve done that on a bike.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The design requires rational people making logical decisions. That's why it's a bad design.

I’m not disputing that it’s a bad design. It’s a bad design. My point was just that riding through a “don’t walk” sign in that scenario without stopping / checking / yielding is a bad idea regardless of whether one must press the walk button to trigger it

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

After spending 40 minutes crawling around a filthy basement floor looking for a chain MissingLink(r) I've decided that I loving hate bicycles

Maybe you should instead decide that you hate your basement floor

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Let it not go unnoticed that the first article link says clearly that Tobin is right that higher cadence is aerobic, not anaerobic

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

More like high stroke volume. Leg stroke volume that is. Cadence.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hello I ordered a mountain bike in early July

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I wish I could put Strava into ebike mode too. I just want to record where I rode, I don't care about setting a daily segment record.

You can, and please do. There’s an ebike ride activity type.

You also can flag activities that look like they’re impossible/cheating, from the website.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This argument places blame on the victim for not hearing the murder machine instead of the driver for doing the murdering.

I'm not going to debate the relative safety of wearing headphones or not, but no, this argument does not place blame on the victim. There is a concrete difference between recommending someone not do X in order to avoid Y, vs blaming someone for Y because they did X. Just like I can advise someone to avoid a particular street on their bicycle while also not blaming a cyclist in an accident on that street "because they shouldn't have been on it in the first place." I know the OP you're responding to, and he would especially not be one to blame a headphone wearing victim in an accident.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Single speed that poo poo you goddamn wuss

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

1up or Kuat. The 1up tilts to and can stay in an intermediate position to allow your hatch to open, with the caveat that just because this works on my car doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work on yours. I went for the 1up because it’s bulletproof and has a lifetime warranty, the parts are modular, it’s built in the US, and it just works very well. I also think the lock system would take marginally longer to destroy than the thin cables on other racks. It is very expensive. I expect it to outlast my car. A lot of people love the Kuat racks, and those seem great as well in limited experience. I like the integrated bike stand.

I have a Kuat (with the two bike extension, so 4 total) and it also tilts down. I also have, as a bonus, another piece that allows me to swing it horizontally out of the way

https://www.kuat.com/product/pivot-2/

Also not cheap. It doesn’t say so explicitly but I also don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work for a non-kuat 2” hitch rack

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I'm trying to revive my old cross bike as it's been more or less disused for the past few years, and use it as an occasional lightweight road-ish bike and around townie.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many chips on the old alpha q fork clearcoat for me to be comfortable using it, and pickings are somewhat slim for QR cantilever carbon forks these days. Does anyone have any suggestions on forks to look at, where to find them?

I've looked around for Enve, Whisky, and Ritchey forks. Enve and Whisky are hard to find, Ritchey less so. I really don't like the look of the ritchey comp fork, though, and the WCS is pretty pricey at ~$400.

Obligatory bike photo:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

what's the mtb in the back right? Old Heckler?

yeah it's in the "rebuild and get in nice rideable condition" queue behind the salsa and my wife's old boat anchor SE single speed.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HR based calorie estimates are going to be especially horribly wrong if you don’t have HR zones set properly

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BeastPussy posted:

I can never ever figure out how to go around the hoods the same way and make it look good so I just cross my fingers and then throw a shitload of tape to finish near the stem and divert attention.

This is pretty much the same thing that happens whenever I have to wear a tie

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

a dynamo for your electronic shifting is trying to solve a problem that really doesn't exist
just plug it in to charge the battery once every 1400 miles and you're fine

if you're doing some crazy poo poo where you can't do that and your battery is going to run out you probably should be running mech anyways for ease of repair

Here’s an idea: a reservoir that automatically drips out carefully metered quantities of lube onto your chain as you ride

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

100m spool of shifter cable that advances slightly with each shift, like a string trimmer

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I like the liners that came with my Patagonia shorts. I’ll sometimes use the liners, sometimes bibs, under my baggy shorts, depending basically on what’s clean and at hand, and don’t really notice a difference in comfort. They sell liners separately, and I assume but am not positive that the ones sold separately are the same as the ones I have that came with shorts.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I've not tried it but I wonder if putting do not disturb on but allowing wife chat to override would work (android that is)

You can filter by app on Garmin, I imagine wahoo will introduce it eventually

On Android, but not on iOS, IIRC

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Ya its super dumb. We get tons of customers asking why the ebikes we get from major brands don't have throttles go faster etc etc etc. Its all because companies like Giant only want to make one model that complies with ebike regs worldwide and they're all over the place.

I'm really not stoked with the max weight legislation in some places that makes some electric cargo bikes and some trikes illegal or banned from bike path use. I was really hoping we'd see a huge uptake in utility ebikes but this is going to turn off a lot of manufacturers until it's all sorted.

I’d be royally pissed if the bike path along the river that I use to take my kids to the water, and that goes directly from my house to the grocery and hardware stores in 4.5 miles, disallowed my heavy cargo ebike, forcing me instead to ride 7.5 miles on a major road and highway. What sort of places are putting these restrictions in??

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

This same bike path connects to the town sports park, and I see tons of kids riding on it on various types of cheap ebikes with throttles to get to soccer practice or whatever, and personally I think that’s great. Maybe I’d feel differently if it were a more crowded space, but it’s a small town and the path basically connects my neighborhood to downtown via more or less open space.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If you don’t speed through the school zone you might end up getting rear ended by someone who does!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I thought part of the point of Presta valves was that they could hold a higher pressure than Schraeder valves. They can be a bit weird at first if you've come from cars and haven't seen them before, but they're good. Just tighten them up properly.

Mountain bike shocks use much higher pressure than any bike tires and use schrader valves. And mountain bike tires run lower pressures than cars and use presta valves. I don’t think that’s the reason and had thought it was more about requiring a smaller hole in a narrow rim.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Consider also having some not-air in your tires, which can generally allow you to have less air in the remaining space for air while reducing the risk of that air suddenly escaping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

You can try concentrated drink mix + water. I've done it in the past for ultra long rides and it helps with keeping a low amount of stuff on the bike for medium rides. Otherwise, training yourself to take in less calories during a ride is an option. There was a point during my PBP training where I was getting about 60-70 miles into a ride before needing food.

I did a 100km mountain bike race in 6 ish hours last weekend on two bottles of skratch super fuel and 4 or 5 bottles of skratch hydration mix. I was pretty pleased with how I felt afterwards, though not how I normally fuel my rides.