Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

I tried putting my gopro on a massive selfie stick and it gets some cool 3rd person POV footage, though naturally being a thin collapsible selfie stick it sways too much (check 2:00 where I go down a small incline lol). Going to have to see if I can get a long stick of some sort that's stiffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgxkXB32I0
The part at 2:00 is completely nauseating and I can't stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

I managed my first pf bottom bracket installation. Maybe the creaking will finally go away? There's all sorts of loctite in there too. It's supposed to cure in 24 hours, but I figure I'll just give it the weekend before I do anything else.

Lord help me if that's not the solution to the creaking.
Horny is Prohibited

mystes
May 31, 2006

golden bells posted:

I think it's because I'm a lady, but men frequently lie to me about their height. Dudes who are my height (5'4"/163cm) telling me they're 5'10"
I'm 6'1" and I had a co-worker who was shorter than me get mad because he insisted he was 6'1" and therefore I must be taller than that.

I would gladly give up an inch or two to hit my head on less stuff, have less stress on my joints, and have the lower cancer risk, and I can't even imagine wanting to be taller than that.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 7, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

I rode my bike today too.

Edit: Oh I thought this was YOSPOS.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What do you talk about in Yospos? Is it... bikes?
50% of the posts in yospos are Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud talking about riding his bike, so yes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

$1400? Guess I'm gonna stick with my old stationary bike lol
I wonder if you could somehow rig up a cheap stationary bike to work with it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

You guys need to bite the bullet and go to tubeless.
Does that really help with giant tire-destroying pieces of metal?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, if you already have insulated hiking boots, it's probably a lot more practical to just use them on your beater bike with platform pedals when it's seriously cold.

There seem to be more companies making winter clipless shoes now but they're pretty expensive and they mostly don't look warm enough for below freezing and certainly not below 20 Fahrenheit, but I guess if you're biking a lot in the right temperature range it might be worth it.

There was one company making what were basically the spd version of insulated hiking boots before but I don't know if they still exist.

Anyway none of this matters for 50 degree weather which I wouldn't even think of as particularly requiring special clothing (but I guess if 50 is cold where you are then you don't even have bibs that aren't shorts so ones with long legs are special clothing).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Problem with this is that phones tend to die on long rides

Even my wife’s Apple Watch doesn’t have the battery power for eight or nine hours.
If you have the screen on it won't last that long but if you just have the gps on to record the route with the screen off it might last a decent amount of time.

If you want to see your distance/speed as your biking or some other features then by all means get a bike computer, but for just recording the route to look at later there's no reason not to use your phone as long as the battery will last long enough.

You're also not any more likely to damage or lose your phone in your pocket/seatpost bag recording the route then with your phone in your pocket/seatpost bag not recording the route, so as long as you aren't planning on mounting your phone on your bike that's not really a consideration.

Anyway, I feel like most people responding here aren't really considering your actual use case (just recording the rides so you can look at them later), but that's not to say that you shouldn't get a bike computer if you want to because they are absolutely the way to go if you want something you mounted on your handlebars that you can check during your ride.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 9, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

When do we start heart rate chat
Do you mean "heart rate monitor chat" or "bragging about resting heart rate chat"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

amenenema posted:

Agreed but if you don't wanna spend $$$ Zwift has all the major dumb trainer power curves mapped so you can get away with just a BT speed sensor.
drat, I assumed I wouldn't be able to use it, but it apparently has the cheap ascent fluid trainer I got from Nashbar in 2013: https://zwift.com/hardware

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why get your kid a tricycle when you can get them a carbon fiber triathlon balance bike with aero bars?

mystes
May 31, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

That is overly-simplistic and not always the right answer.

There's stuff like previously unknown health conditions resulting in incapacitation. There's also stuff like commercial vehicle maintenance issues leading to brake failure or whatever and that could be the responsibility of the employer, not the driver. Every case requires thorough investigation.
The vehicle could have been magically transported in front of the cyclist at the last second by a wizard, too. We shouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

So you're saying neither of the scenarios I described are plausible?

Either way, 5 counts of murder, a conviction and a lifetime behind bars for the driver isn't going to bring those people back. It isn't going to do the driver much good and it isn't going to deter people from DWI/DUI.
If there are really extenuating circumstances I guess ok, but the default has to be to hold drivers responsible. The possibility of some extremely unlikely event where it's arguably not the driver's fault doesn't really change that. It works in the Netherlands apparently.

mystes
May 31, 2006

After spending 40 minutes crawling around a filthy basement floor looking for a chain MissingLink(r) I've decided that I loving hate bicycles
Well now, that's what I call a missing link.
(CSI Miami opening theme plays)

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Romero posted:

please dont get angry at me as i am very sensitive but is there a peloton thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902494

mystes
May 31, 2006

This conversation has very high stoke volume.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bicievino posted:

I like the thule roof racks. Got a few for free, and they've always worked without a hitch.
:dadjoke:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Pedals with cleats = cledals
Pedals with straps = stredals
Ordinary pedals = pededals
Pedals with clips are clipless pedals, so clearly pedals with straps are strapless pedals. I guess by analogy that makes platform pedals training pedals?

mystes
May 31, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

anyone have this backpack?

https://ilequipment.com/collections/backpacks/products/race-day-bag

looking for something to replace my clapped out deuter race exp that ive had forever. would be using it for day trips with a change of clothes and shoes. any other nice backpacks out there? or maybe ill start looking for frame bag solutions for my road bike.
Deuter makes really good bags, and I don't really understand why the one you've linked costs $240 (it looks really flimsy), so it personally seems weird to me to replace a bag that has lasted a long time for you with this one.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 20, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can still get concussed in certified helmets
You can still get hurt in a car accident wearing a seatbelt.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorry, the correct answer was "IλAI".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

It's wicked easy to hear cars while wearing a pair of bluetooth earbuds. If anything, bicycling in the city is easier with them on, because they muffle some of the intensely loud traffic / construction noise.
I love how doing dangerous stuff is actually safer than doing safe stuff because (waves hands)

mystes
May 31, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Lowering the noise floor allows better perception of other sounds, yes. Riding with earbuds is fine because hearing a vehicle has no effect on the driver hitting you from behind. Deaf people ride bikes too. This argument places blame on the victim for not hearing the murder machine instead of the driver for doing the murdering.

Let's do helmet chat next
Do you you ride with earbuds in with no music playing to "lower the noise floor"? If not, this seems like it might be a slightly disingenuous argument.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Levitate posted:

what advantages do spd sandals offer
They make you That Guy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

meltie posted:

As a pass-time I fix the Openstreetmap data around me when I find a problem in strava or komoot. It's one of the little things that I could still do under the UK lockdown, and in Summer last year I ended up riding out to odd bits of the countryside to check out and fix odd routing around disused canals, intermittent paths etc etc. It kept me "sane", and the map routing in this area is noticeably better now!

The routing is one the the things that really concern me / pisses me off about Komoot actually; its slavish internal belief that the OSM data is Perfect. It's fiddly to convince Komoot to go a way that the OSM data doesn't explicitly allow. It's common to have Komoot take your bike route 10km out of your way because it won't consider a footbridge over a stream if you're in cycle mode.

Thinking about it, Komoot's routing engine is naive and makes strange routing decisions even when the map data is correct; i've been hammering down a main road at speed only to be routed down a residential side-road that rejoined the main road in a few tens of metres further on - an entirely unnecessary turnoff that just wasted time.

ALSO (I'm on a roll now, I really hate komoot) it has several cycling modes: Road, Touring, Gravel, Enduro MTB. These barely seem to make any change to the routing. If i'm on a road ride i'd expect to take the faster roads, but komoot will occasionally choose bridleways across fields. If I switch to Touring i'd sort of expect to be routed on smaller quieter roads, but that doesn't happen. Gravel doesn't seem to do anything at all, and Enduro MTB still prefers roads over a bridleway next to it.

And in all of this, Komoot will happily route you along a main road when one street over is a National Cycle Network designated route, which means it's bike-friendly. Komoot even has a NCN overlay, but doesn't prefer its data.

Komoot has an interface to notify their team about map errors, but these seem to go straight into the bin. I have given up letting them know when there are map or routing issues and I just edit the OSM data myself now. I was tempted to fix their routing code on github but i'm not going to do free work for them.

(Note: in England a "Bridleway" is a wide public track, administered by the local government, where access is permitted to walkers, bike riders, and horse riders)

TLDR: komoot's routing engine is trash for cycling unless you babysit it to check every metre of the route it creates. Grr.
I think this stuff is pretty hard though. Even if they have an overlay for a certain map source, they may not even have it in a format that can be easily used for routing. The general state of routing software is pretty bad and I don't think it's that easy to combine a lot of different sources of data.

In the US I wouldn't necessarily expect individual roads in OSM to be tagged with enough information that would allow it to make good decisions based on activity, but I guess there may be better information available elsewhere (I think maybe the UK has public information available on how busy roads are?)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I got this rockbros windproof cycling cap with ear flaps and a visor for colder weather and I love it because there's a large size which actually fits, it was pretty cheap, it's thin so it works perfectly under a helmet, and it's really well made, but it just blocks a surprising amount of noise to the point where I can't hear cars approaching at all so I think I need to find something else

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yes but I still feel safer being able to hear cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What is that? When sometimes the listed dimension is larger and sometimes smaller than the actual (or target) dimension?
it's what you get when you need to travel to a parallel universe on a budget

mystes
May 31, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I have questions
It's SaaS (Strava as a Service)

mystes
May 31, 2006

tarlibone posted:

This may sound like a silly question, but I'm curious: for those of you who cycle in street clothes (like when running errands or commuting), if you're on a bike without a chainring or chain guard of some kind, what are you doing to keep your right pant leg away from the chain? I usually either tight-roll that pant leg or stuff it into my sock, whichever works best for whatever I'm wearing, but I wonder how some of y'all deal with it.
Just go full goblin mode and wear tapered joggers

edit:

Nettle Soup posted:

Quote the article I just found...
Initially called pegging, what we now know as pin rolling became very popular in the early 1950s with working class boys
lol

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 26, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't be bothered to dunk my whole chain in wax so I've just used finish line wax lube for mixed conditions where the chain may be exposed to dirt, but it's not enough for winter use if the roads are salted

mystes
May 31, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Use two links just to be safe
make the entire chain quick links. just think how much easier it will be when you need to remove it and you don't have to hunt for the quick link!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that if someone has already done it it's him

edit: even if someone gave me a box of links and paid me to do it, I can't imagine having the patience to spend 2.5 hours completely disassembling and reassembling a chain like that

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 1, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

this is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwTKeLCs7A

video from the late 70s when mountain bike / offroad riding was called klunking

a very young gary fisher makes an appearance
It must have been neat when mountain bike wasn't even a think and they were just figuring it out as they went along

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

https://www.puky.de/en/lr-m-classic-00004093-1.html

In any case, do not get something made of wood, or too heavy to easily carry a while.
i dunno if pukey is a great name for toddler bikes

mystes
May 31, 2006

amenenema posted:

Awaiting the Path Less Pedaled video on how wood burning stoves are better for chain waxing. Or over a campfire lol
you just put the block of wax on your chain and heat it up by friction shifting 10,000 times a second

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol that it's basically exactly that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tucson would probably be a pretty decent place to do that since the climate is good and you could just go around the loop a few times, and there are lots of restrooms/water fountains (I assume it's warm enough that they're open all year but I'm not 100% sure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it weird/overkill to wear a full face (XC) helmet on a class 3 (28mph) ebike for normal road riding?
Once you're going 28mph on a class 3 ebike it's basically a motorscooter and outside the conditions normal road bike helmets are designed for so I would say it is not overkill