Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Excelzior posted:

oh man I must be missing something because to me bohemia 867 is an absolute garbage start

who the gently caress wants to start mid-way through feudalization, with the wrong religion, surrounded by karlings, set to inherit TRIBAL HOLDINGS and lose your castles

holy poo poo it is bad

It's not just me, thank god. I also somehow inherited an offensive war against East Francia, wtf AI heir??

I got questions for the thread:
1. where the mines at? how do you find where special buildings can be built in general?
2. If I implement single heir succession the old-fashioned way (aka through "accidents" and disinheritance) is there a point in being a king? I'd rather own multiple duchy titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I found a way to switch from feudal to clan! If you become the temporal head of faith of a custom Islamic Religion it changes your government.You might have to be a duke or lower, not sure.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Missing an easy-to-get repeating stewardship duty event and the scholar trait bonus, but otherwise I think I maxed out consistent dev bonuses.

Notes:
Development comes from two areas: flat development and percent development
Chose Assyrian Culture because it only started in two counties (on patch 1.1 it starts in 5 counties) and has 9 innovations. Ironically to speed up Assyrian innovations you want to culture-convert them away
Starting Development: 25 (AMAZING)
Flat development:
+0.4 developing county, if stewardship skill ~ 22 at max existing development penalty
+0.9 if steward is your friend. +.45 if best friend. Crazy good
+0.2 from planned cultivation perk (scholar tree)
+0.3 from centralization perk (architect tree)
+0.3 from coinage rights granted. This is a pain because it requires your liege to have coinage, not the vassal. Try tutoring the liege heir with a hook and hope for RNG
+0.2 from Cordoba special building. This particular holy building is very flexible because it allows any Christian or Islamic religion
+0.0 from Madurai special building, because Madurai doesn't have one (other sites do, but lose out on percent development and starting development)
Percent development:
+100% from Hunter's Guild (lvl 4 city building)
+80% from Shipwrights (lvl 4 shipyard building)
+25% from Glass Monument (requires lunatic. very annoying to obtain)
+25% from Farmsteads (lvl 4 farm building)
+6% from Hundred-acre fields (lvl 4 manor building, lol)
+10% from duchy building
+20% from farmlands
Personal bonuses:
+15% from scholar focus
+15% from scholar trait
+15% from Funding Natural Philosophy modifier, which you get from a stewardship_duty event
+10% from holy site: Baghdad (hope you like fighting the Abbasids)
+20% from innovations

scaterry fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 30, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

King Cohort posted:

Do all council positions have action bonuses like this for high relations/friendship? I know your bishop gives extra tax/levies until +50 Opinion, but what about the others?

Every council task that has a bar (convert culture, fabricate claim, integrate, develop county, increase control, find secrets) gets a 20% bonus if they are your friend, 30% bonus if they are your best friend.
However, the stewardship task has a 90% malus from existing development, bringing it down to 10%, so adding 20% brings it up to 30% which is three times as good

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

Can someone explain county development to me? Mine has stalled at 35 and I’m not sure why. I just want to build Cambridge and then ban tories from going there

I actually know the reason, the problem is almost certainly that your steward had a culture without the innovation. Kinda weird, right?

Also, I feel super dumb. Do you know the easiest way to improve high stat courtiers you invite to court? Just arrange an infertile but high stat marriage and land them. This often improves their stat by 6-9 just by lifestyle and spouse bonuses alone. And when they die the holdings inherit back to you so you can repeat for the next chancellor.

ElectronicOldMen posted:

So I finally completed my count to empire Zunbil reformation game.

Just wanted to say, I am super in awe right now. How long did it take?

scaterry fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 1, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Does anyone have ideas on how to consistently create the 100-stat wanderer? I could send gift 10000 times but I don't want to, lmao. Maybe have a revocable realm priest that you dismiss later and re-invite back? The reddit post mentioned giving a head-of-faith title (with communion) to your heir then destroying it, but how does that turn your heir into a wanderer?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm not sure there's another replacement for rally points unless we go back to "troops are raised from their home holdings and WE have to move them", which was tedious and never enabled as much strategic counterplay vs. blobs as we like to pretend.

We already have the system that varies gather time based on the distance between where the troops are coming from and the rally point, we already have the system that delays regathers based on how far from those home provinces you were when you disbanded. All PDS should need to do is set the "home province" of MaAs to be the realm capital and make them subject to the rules that already exist.

Pretty much this. I really don't understand why people want to remove rally points, they are an immensely useful quality of life tool.
Also, MAAs are the only interesting thing about warfare! I played a no-MAA game, conquering with only levies, and it was just miserable. The potential for the MAAs you choose and the buildings invested in mattering is so much better than "my number is bigger than yours, guess I win"

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Is it me or are the dynasty legacies really weak. Why would I spent decades saving up to take lame options like +3 same faith opinion? Please sell me on any of the legacies that aren’t on the blood tree.

shortspecialbus posted:

Honestly I wonder if best friends should maybe be prevented from going to war with their best friend, or at least there should be some sort of stuff around that. Right now having a best friend doesn't really seem to have any benefits at all aside from maybe an event here or there, and you take a bunch of stress when they die.

I'm assuming there was a hook involved in mine rebelling with everyone else, but it's possible that he just did for whatever other unclear reasons and his best-friend aspect (and >100 opinion) wasn't factored in at all.

Best friends get a +30% bonus to councillor tasks with a bar, which make them excellent stewards/ court chaplains.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

For things like Adulterer and Witch, your faith may allow you to seek indulgences from your head of faith, which takes care of that in exchange for some cash.

The first two picks in the Kin line are really good. I spend a lot of time with a learning focus going on as well so investing to the third one of those for the lifestyle bonus is also great. The first couple conquest ones are great for Tribals too, cheaper CBs and more knight effectiveness goes a long way for them.

Really the funny thing is that all the really good picks are early in the tree, while the level 4-5 ones are all pretty bland. +10 general opinion is really good, but not exciting obviously.

IIRC, meditation has the chance to replace sins with virtues.
It’s weird to me how marginal the later perks in the renown tree are. The level 3,4 perks can take around a century to get legitimately, and yet their impact is too small to care about.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Didn't this 1.) get patched 2.) only work for anyone that actually has saxon elective law available, i.e. saxons, even if it wasn't patched?

IIRC, what got patched was adding laws like "male only" and "male preference" removing the title from partition considerations. It seems intentional that elective titles should, since their outcome is up to vote after all. If it just so happens that all your vassals vote for your chosen heir, them's the break for your other children.
Even if you don't have access to the special ones. as long as you have a feudal government you can add the feudal elective law.
However, I have heard conflicting reports on whether adding "male only" was actually patched or not, it may require testing.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tippis posted:

Yes — temporal. But even without that, the regular holy wars should show up as CBs and they don't. It's as if religious warfare of any kind is off the menu for everyone.

Do you have a liege of a different faith? You can only holy war if you and your liege share the same faith, or are independent.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Kagon posted:

This can then stack with some other modifiers too which can turn into siege phases into a couple of days which insanely reduces overall siege times.

Wait, really? I know there's a late medieval innovation that reduces siege phase time and that's about it. Are there other sources of siege phase reduction?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

I tested this by putting a non-reaver as army leader of a stack then raiding a town. 40 days

Reloaded, put a reaver army leader in charge, raided the same town. 40 days

Same with Engineer, same time to siege a city. 7 months

I figured it out! Reaver increases raid speed for all armies when the player character has the trait, not the commander. So ironically the character you were complaining about is OP

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm extremely not a fan of this. It was only a 17 month war for a duchy but still...

Yeah, this happens because you can't find an army to defeat, or don't get lucky with prisoners. Usually because the defender is in multiple wars. IMO, the size of the wargoal should strongly affect warscore. Like I declared a war over Alexandria and I needed a similar number of occupied counties just to take one county!

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
So I read a post here saying you could game succession by letting your heirs die at sea. The event must be really well-hidden because I can't trigger it or find it all. It's not in health_on_actions, health_events, health_effects, health_triggers, war_events, army_on_actions. I don't even think scurvy is a disease in-game. Did I miss it or does it not exist?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I did a one ruler world conquest, it was pretty cool.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/k04gh1/veni_vidi_vici_one_ruler_world_conquest_in_23/

I wanted to finish this before the ruler designer came out, but apparently its out already?
Offer vassalization is OP, mongol invasion is OP, claiming titles of dynasty members is slow but like the only way to claim empire titles

scaterry fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 24, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

How are u posted:

Anybody have any fun ideas for new starts using the custom ruler?

1. Start with the prerequisites of the "strong blood" decision and pure-blooded, breed like a maniac (incest is optional but recommended)
2. Start with the witch trait, form a witch coven, and rake in the lifestyle perks
3. Start as a tribal peasant leader reaver. All your armies cost 0 maintenance and all your raiders are twice as fast
4. You can instantly unlock the Way of Life achievement, lmao
5. Start as a culture with no counties (Roman, Frankish are good ones) and play super tall. One county cultures can get absurd innovation speeds, and you can get regional innovations really easily by adding an additional county in the necessary area, then removing it.
6. Start with one of the dead religions (Hellenism, Paganism, Zunism) and spread it? idk

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Is there a write up somewhere on how inheriting traits works? I have a leader with Hale and a wife with Genius. We've had 7 kids and not one of them has inherited both traits, or lower versions of those traits.

Is it just not possible unless the parents both have that same trait, to pass on more than 1 to a child?

drat, that's pretty unlucky. Each child has a 25% chance to inherit a trait, so that's like a 13% chance none of your kids get Hale.
The wiki explains it pretty decently, I think. https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Breeding#Trait_inheritance

Midgetskydiver posted:

To clarify, I'm hoping to get a child that has both Hale and Genius. Like 6 of the 7 have genius and nothing else, and 1 child got nothing. Just wondering how likely it would be to get a kid that has both.

Are you sure your character's wife is loyal to you? Perhaps your children are not your own...

scaterry fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 25, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
If you land people in counties of that faith/culture, it will generate courtiers of that faith/culture. There are some scripted exceptions, but in general this is the only way courtiers of a specific faith/culture are generated.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

Ah gently caress! They nerfed the “have a lot of friends, get a lot of skill points” perk. It’s capped at 5 friends now

It's actually bugged and capped at 0 friends, apparently

Jay Rust posted:

I didn’t see it advertised anywhere, but they added the ruleset option to turn every male-dominated institution into a female-dominated one, universally, worldwide. It doesn’t disable achievements, either!

It looks like how it works is, when starting a new game, it tries to find the closest female relative to the default male ruler and makes that woman the new ruler. So, for example, in 867, it’s not Ivar the Boneless’s Jarldom of the Isles, it’s his daughter’s. In practice, though, since so many counts start without daughters or sisters, there’s still a whole bunch of male rulers hanging around. Plus, the new female rulers all seem to be in non-matrilineal marriages, so dynasties are gonna be pretty messed up in about one generation.

Still, pretty cool

Some pretty silly stuff can happen with inverted gender rules. The Byzantine Empire is ruled by a child, whose heir is her lowborn mother that will accept patrilineal marriages. West Francia is split into the kingdom of West Francia and Aquitane. I think nobody playtested this mode :O

scaterry fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 27, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

It is kinda bothersome yeah, I wish more of the other options for getting claims worked on your vassals, can't use the Buy Claim perk on them and the religious head pretty much never gives you a claim unless they really hate the vassal and you're super virtuous. It certainly doesn't help that I'm getting some mysterious tyranny when messing with Demand Conversion -> They refuse/ask for a favor -> Imprison -> Revoke. Somewhere in the chain I'm getting tyranny even though the tooltips are assuring me every step of the way that it's tyranny-free. I ended up with something like 80 tyranny when dealing with a bunch of vassals in this way. I wonder if the new "request a favor in exchange for conversion" messed it up somehow? I seem to recall this was an issue before.

Fabricate Claim no longer works on vassals? That's a drat shame. Tyranny really should work like opinion modifiers where it will tell you the source of tyranny, otherwise you're just sort of baffled why people think you're tyrannical.

By the way, it turns out the mysterious +50 "refusing conversion is a crime" bonus to demand conversion has nothing to do with crown authority. It means you and the recipient are the same religion, but hostile faiths. (AKA, abrahamic/zoroastrian religions) Why is refusing conversion a crime in only those religions, and not in others? I have no idea.

LordMune posted:

An issue with old saves unfortunately, fresh games should be fine.

Oh! Good to know.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

tin can made man posted:

I did it!!! i beat tutorial island

Started as the Borjigin bastard in 800 start, waited until i could get a halfway decent and young heir to turn into genghis khan, then just started tearing west, saving my once-in-a-lifetime non-Mongol invasion of Kingdom for when I could get close enough to Alba and snatch their half of the island; now the khan of khans will rule his last days and prosecute his last wars from Dublin

I love seeing the state of other people's maps. Like, what happened to Khazaria? How does Alba/Sapmi own so much land? And, most importantly, what the heck is "Niptasan"?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just siege their capital and hope the RNG lets you insta-win by capping the warleader...

In my own Kanem-Bornu game the Arabian capital was right across the Gate of Tears from me, easy 28-day wars

I found out that this strategy highly depends on the warleader's martial. If the warleader has 7 or less martial, they'll stay at home. If they have 8 or more martial, they'll lead their armies, and you'll need to stackwipe them to have a decent shot at capturing them.

Also, why the heck does imprisoning people cost 100 piety? It's so weird to look at a list of criminals and be like, "I guess I gotta let them go, don't wanna lose 10 years of piety income"

scaterry fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 2, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

Uhhhh, that's utter loving garbage and not explained at all that I saw. Is there any way to get the kingdom at all or do I just see if I can reload older saves and just gently caress off out of the crusade?

The cheese method is to disinherit your heir (temporarily) and name them as your beneficiary. When you win the crusade, re-inherit them.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

Do you tend to go down a full line or just pick up a few favorites before switching to another lifestyle?

I mostly take the perks I need for my ruler, and no more. When in doubt, I go Whole of Body for the health boosts at the end.
IMO, here is my unsolicited list of game-changing perks:

Diplomat lvl 3: Forced Vassalage (w/ innovations)
August lvl 5: True Ruler
Family Hierarch lvl 1, 2: Befriend, Confidants
Strategist lvl 1: Bellum Justum
Avaricious lvl 1, 2 : Golden Obligations, This is MY Domain
Administrator lvl 1: Meritocracy
Schemer lvl 1, 3: Truth is Relative, Kidnapper
Whole of Body lvl 3, 8, 9: Know Thyself, Healthy, Whole of Body
Scholar lvl 8: Sanctioned Loopholes (w/ divine right)
Theologian lvl 8: Defender of Faith (w/ tyranny reduction)

Also, is there going to be a patch today? what's up

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Adding levies can reduce the quality of your army, which matters due to combat width. If you outnumber your opponent, the damage is scaled down to the average size of the two armies. So adding levies to superpowered MAAs could prevent them from stackwiping.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

For purely roleplaying reasons: is there anyway an accused witch won’t die? I’ve noticed if you spare them, the town will immediately murder the person. I just want to be a nice enlightened ruler and not unnecessarily kill women in my domain.

Isn't the third option always to recruit them to your court? And if you have very high intrigue you can fake their death and recruit them anyways

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a faster way of getting primogeniture than waiting for the late medieval period to be able to 'research' it? I wanna start blobbing

There's starting/inheriting as the byzantines, forming the archduchy of austria, and restoring carolingian borders. The latter two decisions require forming the holy roman empire, tho.

You can totally start blobbing without primogeniture, just need a way to deal with confederate partition. You can also play one of the cultures that gets house seniority or high partition early, like czech or occitan.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

But yeah really not sure what to do next. All I do know is that slowly fabricating claims is gonna get dull and take forever.

Well, when in doubt you should probably be using hostile schemes. Fabricating claims on claimants so you can invite them to your court, murdering people in the line of succession so your dynasty can inherit, murdering rulers you have a truce against to remove the truce, abducting heirs and converting them to foreign religions to instill instability, etc...

I also would start thinking about finding a better faith? Either make one of your own ('fastest' way is to spam a bunch of temples) or educate your heir to have one.(cough cough Ásatrú/ Azraqism) Recommended faiths include anything with warmonger/ pursuit of power for that easy casus belli.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 8, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for answering all my little questions, I'm finding this game to be a lot like Monster Hunter where it helps to have a good community to ask individual questions because of how dense the information overload is.

I could use some advice on this situation regarding vassals and dynasty... I haven't really looked at how Dynasties work but my understanding is you want to expand your dynasty's power as long as it doesn't create infighting or threats of distant relatives usurping you?

I'm playing as King of Ireland, I hold the duchy of Ulster and 2 of its 3 counties. The remaining Ulster vassal (high stewardship and intrique) is very angry because of a combined -65 from "wants to be on the council" and "liege holding duchy title" but otherwise would like me. I'd like to smooth over that region. I'm thinking of landing my Nephew (average stewardship) because he loves me, is part of my dynasty but has no claims, and for RP purposes he's been with me from my start and lost his eye in the battles to win my throne. 

Should I (Note: I saved and tested the below scenarios to make sure my opinion predictions were correct)

1) Grant a county to my nephew and make him the duke? 
  • Pros: He loves me, at +100 opinion even with the -25 from me continuing to hold one of his duchy counties.  I'd have a strong supporter in this dynasty member with no claims to threaten me with, in a strong position in my kingdom. 
  • Cons: He'd be a powerful vassal but just average skills to bring to my council, and potentially complications I'm unaware of from making a dynasty member one of my most powerful vassals.

2) Grant a county to my nephew, make the other Ulster vassal my Duke?  
  • Pros: He would like me even with the -25 from me holding one of his duchy counties, and would be an excellent steward or spymaster on my council.
  • Cons: I wouldn't be boosting my Dynasty that much, and while he likes me wouldn't be as completely loyal as the Nephew.

I think that generally you want to hold the counties under the duchy title you own. The reason is that if you put an elective succession law on the duchy title, then a.) you control the results of the election and b.) the duchy title and the counties underneath are not split under confederate partition. So what I would do is land your nephew with a county you have outside the duchy title, and revoke the county title your vassal has, either with a reason or taking the tyranny hit.

If you have to choose between the two options, probably 1.) is better? You have more options to deal with dynasty members, especially as dynasty head. As your nephew, he is likely to have a positive opinion of you and is unlikely to inherit claims. Why would you give a random vassal more power when you won't even give them a council seat?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

The ruler designer letting you start with the prerequisites for the Strengthen Bloodline + Witch Coven decisions right from the start is amazing, and also kind of broken. Especially if you play one of the religions that accepts witches, like most of the Eastern ones do.

I personally like Vaishnavism, because it has a 2/3rds chance of giving you the wise man trait on a pilgrimage, it makes that trait a virtue, and once you have it you can have a Mystical Communion every 5 years which gives you 1/3rd of a learning perk. You can also choose a Bhakti for free whenever you want, but you probably want to stick with the -33% stress + bonus health as you get older, or the +10% taxes & +20% stewardship xp early on.

Witch Coven gives you a random full free perk every 10 years + bonus health/fertility, while Strengthen Bloodline gives you bonus health + better traits.

All combined together, and your first ruler is going to live to be really old.

This was from 5 years before I died, you can see all the stacking health bonuses:

By the time the 1 year warning popped up my starting character was 89:

By the time I died, my 53 year old grandson was my heir, since so many of my kids had already croaked.

Beautiful + Hale + Quick is the cheapest way at 260 points. If you play with bisexual preference, Beautiful/Hale is a +35 opinion bonus for most people. Also, Sayyid for only 25 points is probably too good, since it's another inheritable +5 opinion.

Yep, the only good strategy for ruler designer is to start with the prerequisites for strengthen bloodline and found witch coven, because it removes all the RNG needed to take said decisions, and persists past your character. Although I don't take Sayyid because I find it easy to breed in and also prevents you from taking consecrate bloodline, which allows you stack another +5 same faith opinion, along with the other benefits.

I found out the hard way that crusader king and faith warrior have a huge downside-- if you change faiths at all, they disappear!

Idk if people care, but I did spade some ruler designer values:

starting health values
0-47 5.0
48-65 4.0
66-120 3.0

starting perk points:
18 1
21 2
42 9 + free lifestyle trait
45 10
69 18 + two free lifestyle traits (nice)
72 19
75+ 20

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Is there any benefit to holding your de jure capital? Since a king can only hold two, I'm debating making Dublin's two-County duchy or just keeping the three-county duchies on the north and south ends of Ireland. My realm capital is Munster because twelve hours in I'm still on my "keep playing after the tutorial" playthrough.

Nah. Only duchy capitals matter because of duchy buildings.

To be pedantic, there are really, really minor applications in that you can always move your realm capital to the dejure capital of your primary title, even if you have moved it already. Since you can change the primary title anytime, this means you can move the realm capital multiple times, allowing you to take multiple decisions that require your capital to be in a certain location.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Huh isn't there more significant hits to fame and prestige? I'll have to double check. Can't find anything googling this.

To be exact, you lose 250 prestige and 1 level of fame (unless you have the relevant perk), and 50 general opinion for 3 years.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Sing Along posted:

I'm doing this but I'm seeing achievements listed as greyed on the Play screen out even though on my second character at the bottom of the creator they appear viable

Yeah, if you create more than one character in ruler designer, it invalidates achievements. The devs thought of this...

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it easier to kill lovers?

Yes, it confers a small benefit. (+15% success chance) Choosing to seduce their spymaster will have a much bigger impact, though. (A spymaster joining as an agent is +75+intrigue% success chance)

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Sing Along posted:

How can you identify members of another character's council?

It's kinda annoying. If they're just a courtier, it'll tell you below their name what role they have (their liege's steward). If they're a vassal, it won't. So in that case, you need to look at their natural dread to see if they have a modifier (liege's spymaster). However, the AI pretty much always picks a powerful vassal to be on the council, which narrows it down.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Here's a sick strat to get primogeniture as a tribal government: setup your daughter to reform the HRE, then claim it and form the Archduchy of Austria

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
It's hard to tell just from the description what happened. Take a look at the title history(s) of the extra counties? My guess is that while you were pressing their claim, they inherited land.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
One of the things the PhD student mentioned in his CK3 video is that historically, the "feudal contract" worked like current clan vassals. That is, the amount of taxes and levies a vassal contributed depended on their opinion of their liege.

And I will say that managing a large clan empire is pretty challenging! Try playing the Abbasids in the 867 start, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Any idea why the befriend scheme quite often results in "becomes closer to being your friend" instead of actually befriending, even when the scheme has 100% success chance?

There’s a hidden relationship called ‘potential friend’ — that’s the outcome you got.

In general, the more friends you already have, the more likely you are to only make ‘potential friends’.
If you want the befriend scheme to definitely succeed, you need to already be potential friends, say by giving them a gift.

Having played with a mod that had distance from capital mechanics (Maryannu), it’s sorta gamey? It’s honestly a little overpowered as a vassal because you can just swear fealty to a big kingdom and pay almost zero taxes and levies while getting all the vassal benefits. And if you’re playing a liege you get very little from new vassals. It doesn’t really change the fact that you don’t have much to do once you’re an emperor.