Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bogart posted:

how do I charge this thing?

Isn't there a USB port of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rolo posted:

They have some that can do PS3/Switch but they’re like 800 bucks.

Oh yeah, I have one of those. We call them laptops.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Swilo posted:

has science gone too far?

Not until it runs Doom.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

It looks like someone saw a Wonderswan Color in a Hollywood Video once and tried to draw it by memory

Oh man, that is the most apt description to this unfortunate looking thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I presume I am going to get smacked with an import fee.

Don't presume. European VAT law changed this year. Now, everything that came externally -- regardless of value -- that has not charged VAT preemptively will have to be paid so on delivery (plus extra local fees of whoever entity is handling the charge). For this sort of stuff, pick online sellers who handle the VAT charges for you.

Regarding on what device you may want, you probably want to look into the MiSTer FPGA. That poo poo cycle accurately reproduces every single micro and non-micro computer from the 80's, early 90's, plus every arcade board and console that is not the N64, and should be of interest for anyone who wants to play Amiga and DOS stuff, or GBA in 2 player mode.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The United States posted:

Most of the power of the NVIDIA shield at a fraction of the cost, and emulation station support
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cftyAq_J9g

I have no idea how powerful recent Shield models are, how far can you push this thing? Like, can you really run Dolphin properly on it? Also, are there professional looking cases?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

loopsheloop posted:

casually firing eggs out of kazooie's rear end with my patented claw grip

You can't patent prior art, friend:

As any MonHun player from back then will be more than happy to tell you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

otter posted:

I said stop me from spending $300, not get my debit card out.

Think of it this way: you won't get it until 2023 and by then you'll have forgotten why you even wanted it in the first place.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rolo posted:

I do forget to mention that my 34 year old eyes are still totally cool with small screens.

Famous last words.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I mean at least you didn't buy a 351 and then just days later the same device went on sale.

The only winning move is not to play.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Why would you even sneeze on your joycon innards?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

beep-beep car is go posted:

Everyone forgets about the Wii U.

Especially Nintendo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The United States posted:

The new meta is installing a local webserver with built in javascript emulators to serve up roms in a browser to get around iPhone/Xbox restrictions I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlxLLtR3nE

Is this a new thing from Razer??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ok, seeing this tiny tiny thing just made me realize I have no clue anymore how many of those devices exist anymore. Every time I open the thread I find out about three new ones.

Which is why I wanna see some blood. There's likely someone here who has them all. Or nearly every single one of them. It may be MarcusSA with his two drawers full of these things. Or there may be a stronger contender, someone who's really out there to collect them all. Inquiring minds want to see: who went into the deep end and owns most of these? Show us your collection!

Edit: and if United States want to chip in, feel free to PM me while your probation doesn't wear off. I'll post here for you, buddy.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Every time the ADD monster demands newness I just sell an old one to partially find the new one. I only ever really have one or two at a time. Currently I have a modded Vita and and RP2+. Once I finally beat Persona 4, I might sell them both for an Odin Pro

You guys are no fun with your sensible life choices and healthy partaking of this hobby. No fun at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Periodic reminder to those who aren't running emuelec off a MUB or GT King with a 2TB external hard drive: you can, you should, and it costs less than most handhelds.

I understood some of those words!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If you want to emulate on a TV with a controller, this is a great and cost-effective way to do that. It's a lot of fun playing MAME with four players!

Ah, thanks for explaining. I lurk a bit ITT and I don't think I had seen any of those names so far. A cheap way to set up a four player MAME is actually something I hadn't even contemplated but now I'll have to do it, just in case I ever have enough visitors who are into gaming.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have a SteamDeck coming. I will let you know how great it is for the one or two days I actually use it.

Games > Third Party Retro Consoles - Pretty great for the one or two days I actually used it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Humongous Pear posted:

The video’s gone private. What was it?

An Anbernic device with the Vita's OLED screen. Simiarly underpowered as other recent Anbernic devices, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Wait, are you one of those people who think GotY is whatever they played that year that they liked the best, regardless of release date?

Don't you?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, I had to cancel my reservation of the Steam Deck (lol @ global economy burning in a trash fire), but I still like the idea of playing some of my Steam library on the couch/bed/wherever. I noticed the RP2+ has both Moonlight and Steam Link apps. Which one works better and how well does it do for most stuff (like, puzzle and JRPG stuff, not twitch shooters)?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wee Bairns posted:

I'd saw conflicting reviews when they first started appearing that the screen was either fantastic or a bit on the hazy side.

It might even be both due to lack of QA, thus a screen lottery.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DrWrestling69 posted:

Not sure if this fits but is there a guide to modding a 3ds so you can play DS stuff on it? Is there an equivalent of an r4 or whatever those things you used to get for the original D's?

There's a thread dedicated solely to hack/mod consoles.

And here's the idiot-friendly guide to 3DS hacking, which even the worst of the worst (me) could follow pretty easily. You will want to install TwillightMenu after installing CFW on the system.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So assuming a limited selection of devices, what's the best screen for GBA games between Powkiddy V90, Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+, and a 3DS?

Edit: I assume a similar level of emulation quality between all those devices other than the 3DS's BC using the actual existing hardware.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

zzMisc posted:

I don't know why those specific things are your options.

That's easy: they are the ones I own and I wasn't planning on buying more.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

sethsez posted:

The RG351V has the best screen out of all of those by far, and I think the image quality makes up for the smaller size compared to a 3DS.

Yeah, it's a great screen. I have tested it some minutes ago and it looked great. Audio quality kept cracking though and I can't play a game whose music skips or cracks.

This is the stock FW; I haven't tried installing AmberELEC. Does it bring better/more accurate emulators or just better performance so the sound doesn't crack?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hell, I HAVE an RP2+ and I’m weighing selling it to get this, but the RP2+ is better, right?

Right?

The RP2+ is better than the RG353. Consider maybe being less easily swayed by internet video reviews next time?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

otter posted:

Which one is gpd again?

The one that usually used Windows as opposed to Linux / Android, and had one system that looked like a bigger OpenPandora (if you remember that one):

Jesus, I haven't thought about the Pandora in years. Mine's been in a closet for... a while. At least I removed the battery. Gotta check if it's still turning on fine.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Call me when the RP3+ is out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS IT'S A NEW THING FROM RAZER

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How far we have come:

By which I mean, not much? Buy an Xbox plus a $600 device to game stream inside your home? Love your new thing, Razer! I think I'll keep my Deck, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What's the pantone code for clurple?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bourricot posted:

Is there any trick to lower battery usage for a sleeping RG351? Mine loses about 10-15% per day, meaning it's dead if I don't use for it a few days and wasn't careful about shutting it down.

Gonna imagine this is an Android issue as my RP2+ also does this, making it not being as useful a device as it should be, since many a time I occasionally go to resume some JRPG I hadn't touched in a couple of days, it's powered off, lost me progress, and make me curse existence. I have to keep reminding myself to manual save every time I leave it suspended "just in case" and confirming the battery rate daily. Sucks. Suspending shouldn't be this complicated a matter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How do the Lite and Pro compare to the RP3+ specs-wise?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

coconono posted:

Another dimension to consider is the “might get you laid” factor. Both the GPD and the Retroid were convo starters with the RP2+ scoring me a kiss on the cheek (which had nothing to do with my silky beard or urbane demeanor) whereas the GPD had some lady asking me about my kids in broken English.

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: Another dimension to consider is the “might get you laid” factor.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

sethsez posted:

They won't do any extra systems, but Gamecube and PS2 are definitely more reliable than on the RP3+, though both still require a lot of tweaking and you can expect some games to just not work still.

Well, that was basically the one thing that would give them an edge for me, so I think I'll wait for more powerful devices from either of those companies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I shouldn’t have hesitated on getting a 3DS right before COVID struck. I was this close to ordering.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's one of my favorite systems ever. Track down a used one in good shape?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have a shield tv pro and when I plug in the controller to charge it, it gets pretty dang warm. Is that normal behavior?

Sounds like your controller is taking way too much power, overheating the device. Or the device doesn't get enough ventilation to dissipate the heat due to dirt and/or blocked port.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You wouldn't buy a non-clurple model... would you???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sold it to a goon in Mexico god bless him.

I think the Geneva Convention has an appendix specific for offloading really shite hardware onto unsuspecting people.