Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I really loved the "Dad, you've been watching too much Fox News" energy in the Wenwu fight.
The Wenwu fight was more impressive than the dragon fight, but I really like how the movie tied everything up at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If that's the effort he puts into his costumes, how much time is he putting into his riddles? It's like seeing a resume full of typos.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I liked Zhao's work on Nomadland because it gave a window into relating to real people with a very different world view and life. She tried to do the same thing with Eternals and that's just a lot harder and more pointless when you take the "real people" part out of the sentence. The plot and a lot of the character choices did not make much sense.

Ikaris was so wooden I assumed he was trying to act like a robot, which makes some sense. Druig-Makkari were very fun to watch, I hope those kids do well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

It will probably be tough for Lauren Ridloff since she's legitimately deaf, but Barry Keoghan is blowing up right now.

Thanks, I was wondering if she was really deaf. I hope she has a good future as the Happy Eternal.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Didn't they also backtrack from Ryan Choi to Ray Palmer around that time, too?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My problem with Eternals was that the ending made very little sense. There was some complexity about killing a Celestial, and I liked that they recognized there was a greater good but were unhappy with it, I liked that Kingo just noped out. I thought it would be cool to put the Celestial to sleep and say humanity now has 500 years to leave the planet.

Then they just ended up killing it and it didn't feel like a big thing. Plus Sersi just running towards the volcanos for no reason, the Deviant just wandering into the final fight. I think the Unimind just suddenly started happening and Phastos's preparation turned out to be irrelevant. It seems like chopped 3 very different ideas together and just dumped it on a plate.

Still better than Thor 1 and 2 tho.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The United States posted:

Surprise Reveal!

Robert Pattinson will have turned out to be playing the Joker the whole time, he's so crazy he just thinks he's Batman. Riddler is trying to get him to wake up.

It would rule if it was just a straight edgy dark Batman for 85% of the movie, and in the last few scenes he's ranting about how he's trying to stop super criminals with complex plots, and then the movie shifts perspective and we see that he's been the criminal the whole time, and the plots are all imaginary. Not that he's become as bad as the criminals, just that it's all been him.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
RDJ being not terribly problematic is one of the biggest wins Marvel has ever had. I heard IM1 was uninsurable because he was hired on.

He was something around Ezra Miller levels before he went to jail. I think it was different and mostly drugs, so it doesn't sound as bad now, but he was a real shambles at one point.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Gavok posted:

A little while back I had an idea for an article to pitch for Den of Geek about discussing/ranking comic movie franchises by how interesting the behind-the-scenes stuff was. Anything that's part of an expanded universe or a series of at least three movies dedicated to an IP (so big stuff like MCU and X-Men or something as small as Hellboy and Punisher).

Then my wife talked me down from it because "interesting" in this context is 99% negative poo poo.

Movies with good behind the scenes stuff: I remember Thor Ragnarock having some fabulous behind the scenes photos come out. I think the Tom Holland Spider-Mans had some feel good stuff, like TH personally calling folks to keep Spider-Man in the MCU.

Big problem is it's tough to separate actual good adventures from marketing pushes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
A tumbleweed blows through the forums as folks wait for someone to stand up to the madman's challenge of "Watch 15 minutes of Morbius"

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Best part of Thor Ragnarok is how it's so good it just wiped the first 2 Thor movies out of history. Just a big burst of rainbow joy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Does he have any comments, or he's just saying he doesn't have no comment?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Classifying Bucky "Winter Soldier" Barnes as a cameo in the movie "Captain American: the Winter Soldier" seems disingenuous.

I'm surprised the special character agreements exist at all, I thought creators who made characters for companies didn't have a leg to stand on. Glad to hear it's a little better than that at least

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think about Kingsley's "Those monkeys were just acting like they were riding horses" bit about once a week and it always makes me smile.

Sister Chi, plus her hype man, plus Razorfist, plus her team of ninjas and graffiti artists, they are the piece I want to see again most of all.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Other folks probably know more than I, but it sounds like they were planning on the Flash to have some kind of reboot or multiverse impact with Keaton as Batman, and Keaton was supposed to be in Batgirl. So if this came out, the question would be "Who's Batman?" Pattinson? Keaton? Affleck? Shazam and other stuff can skip over those questions. Plus, WB was recently bought, and those owners probably want to start off with good stuff and blame failures on the past

The Batgirl movie is probably ok and a fine waste of time, but it seems to have no proponents in DC HQ, and they'd rather scrap it and look like idiots once, instead of being laughed at every time someone watches another mediocre DC movie

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Another angle on this: Why would anyone want to work on a DC project if they have another option?

People negotiating with DC get the chance to have their work insulted and never seen, and that's ignoring the harassment shitshows in previous movies.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
What's going to happen to Peacekeeper you guys?
What's going to the shining star of DC tv/movies?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Monaghan posted:

It's a bit more complicatedA lot of studios are pissed that the distributors will throw their movie on streaming service when everyone involved fully intended for these things to get theatrical releases. I know Pixar got really pissed off that turning red was a disney plus exclusive.

I thought Batgirl was always intended to be straight to HBOMax? Although your point does explain why he'd just tell folks "We'll stop putting new movies onto HBOMax first" without realizing that was the plan for some stuff.

Part of the math might be that (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) there's no mechanism to buy movies on HBOMax, so while they could just toss a movie up they don't get quantifiable money from it, vs just trashing it and getting a tax deduction.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Davros1 posted:

Is Geoff Johns still with the DC Movie production side? Because the only downside I can see about cancelling the Flash movie is if he's still there, then he'll insist that any future Flash movie has to be based on "Flashpoint".

I think Johns still has a title there, but it is not clear who is actually "in charge" of coordinating the DC Movies. My impression was always that his position was essentially "here is a guy you should talk to if you are making a DC movie, and his name should be in the credits" and not "Here is the person you need to impress or you will not get funding for your movie". The former can be highly influential if you have worthwhile things to say. I don't think Johns has that in him

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
To get the tax write off, WBD needs to argue that they are getting no value for all the money they put in to the movie, not now not ever. Making any other argument is tough because they don't know if they could release a brief clip as part of an ad for something else, but then the clip really blows up and what they thought would be a $50k ad is now really worth $1mil, so that could really change their write off in the past.

From the accounting side, trying to get anything out of the movie is expensive and a management headache, and that's ignoring the possibility that people find out they killed a good movie.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Have there already been a lot of jokes about Zaslav trying to return WB to AT&T and claiming it was broken when they got it?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Glad they finally found a Feige in Unnameable director Geoff Johns Hamada Dan Lin.

Feige is extremely talented and there shouldn't be any doubt about that, but he also has the authority to use that talent to improve movies and make them cohere to some central ideas about Marvel and the characters. Will Lin have any authority while trying to manage a burning house?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I also just saw Love and Thunder on the first Friday when it was free.

First half-ish was fairly cringey, but I liked it once they brought Foster in. I wish Thor's relationship with his weapon had been in the movies since day 1, but if I could change one thing about the MCU timeline, I'd add Madisynn into Omnipotence City. Obvious choice would be a Zeus girl, but I'd be fine with her in a front row seat somewhere.
e: also King Valkyrie owns.

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 10, 2022

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Arist posted:

They're not going to address it and you all need to be ready for that

They should just offhandedly mention that Israel and Palestine reached a t really great ruce during the snap and signed a treaty in New Asgard. Nobody needs to see the MCU take on specific issues.

On the cinema front, backyard movies are much better than watching movies indoors, and safer/less anxiety than movie theaters.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

Pfft, you’re statistically way more likely to get shot in your yard than a theater.

I did actually have a skunk wander under my seat while watching once, and that's never happened in a movie theater. Or maybe it does and its just too dark to tell?
Anyway it's still a fun time for all.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The explanation should just be a rant from some stressed out scientist saying magic exists, aliens exist, fusion exists, we've got a robot powered by a magic rock or something. But sure, we've got a bunch of other weirdos running around now too. Kinda hard to choose research priorities here.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Did anything good happen in Constantine besides Lucifer lighting Constantine's cigarette?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The article also says they specifically aren't going to do that and are still currently performing reshoots.

Gotta hand it to them, I guess their altar works!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Been waiting for Wolverine's musical number for a while now, glad to have it on the horizon.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't want a mopey Thing either, but a Thing who knows he has to stay active and outgoing because the other choice is to be insecure and outcast, that could be a compelling Thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

STAC Goat posted:

The thing with the Thing isn’t about him being ostracized or hated or feared. As a member of the FF he’s one of the most celebrated heroes. It’s about what’s he’s lost and what he feels. That he feels screwed and inhuman. That he can’t gentle pet an animal or hold someone without consciousness of what’s “wrong” about him and some fear. It’s not about society accepting hulks. It’s about Ben struggling to find peace with what he’s become.

This was more what I meant when I said Ben should be an outcast. More that he is in danger of feeling separate from the rest of world if he doesn't actively go out and try to be a part of it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Open Marriage Night posted:

With great power comes no future

I am an anarchist
I am the arachnid

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Reed and Namor get into a big discussion on dolphin evolution or w/e while Sue hits the spa and makes dinner plans with at least one of them.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Which is exactly why people hated it. And it came on top of massive long-time cast-member layoffs and complete silence over the Don’t Say Gay bill.

I didn't pay it much attention because Florida is a farce in general, but I thought DeSantis was bonkers against Disney for their opposition to the bill. Was he just being an incredible baby?
I think Disney stopped or paused donations to Republicans?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

I’m more surprised it’s projected to make 500-550m.

Reading the article, there's some movie junk numbers going on here. It looks like the studio gets about half the box office, so its on track to have a $400M box office. But nobody knows the actual production cost so maybe it broke even already? The only real takeaway is it was not a huge success.

Wakanda has taken in $700+M

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Keep the Snyderverse going but instead of the existing heroes it is just Lobo.

E: gently caress yeah, now that we've resolved "Is North Korea bad?" let's tackle the Middle East!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I remember reading that Jenkins was supposed to collaborate with Johns on the movie, and it sounded like they just could not communicate at all. Like she wanted to incorporate an ode to punk rock in DC in the 80s, like she wanted to have a scene in a record shop she remembered and Johns would come back and say "This scene should be in a Sunglass Hut".

Seems like a rough way to make a big movie. If you run into dumb issues on the big stuff, how do you do well on the little stuff?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Between HBO and Twitter, 2022 is the year of the Well Thought Out Purchases

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

X-O posted:

James Gunn has said many times his favorite DC character is Green Arrow. Start there and start small.

The more stuff I see from James Gunn the less I like. I just don't like his style or sense of humor I think. I've really only like the first Guardians movie. That being said I think he probably has a much better understanding of the characters than anyone that's been in an elevated position at WB (including Geoff Johns) so I trust him to oversee some good stuff even if his particular brand isn't something that's to my liking.
Have you seen Peacemaker? Gunn can be too much for me but I thought Peacemaker was really something special. Green Arrow movies would be great, but I think the show's existence makes that harder to do.

Looks like they're just going to need to focus on Milestone comics for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
One tough thing here is I definitely don't think Gunn could direct a Superman movie, probably not a Batman movie either. He could probably do a Bat-family movie, and he could definitely direct Aquaman, but his movies have been gangs of jerks with heart. Now, he's not going to direct these movies himself, but he's going to set out the plan for them at a high level, so he's going to need to work against his best instincts. "Kill your racist dad" is a great plot for Peacemaker or Guardians, but not so much for Superman.

I'm also interested if Snyder has had anything to say about anything, since folks seem to be bringing him up a lot