Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fangz posted:

Could they resurrect and redeem Killmonger, I wonder

Resurrect? Absolutely. Redeem? I don't think so. It's not that Killmonger is beyond redemption, but it feels like something he doesn't even want. I'm not saying he would have fought alongside Thanos in Endgame, but as soon as the dust settled he'd be back to plotting the overthrow of oppressive (white) governments. He's that good kind of villain that is right in his vision, if not in his method. Overthrowing racist governments and bringing freedom to oppressed people - Good goal. Achieving that goal by use of overwhelming technological force - Efficient, but problematic.

If somehow death changed him in such a way that he still fights for freedom for belittled people, and even specifically black people, but his approach is more nuanced, and a little less murder-y then maybe. I'm all for more Michael B Jordan, and I want more Black Panther, but I don't know if those should be combined in that way.

However, if we are looking at a re-cast, what about wildcard Ray Fisher? Get some good press by hiring on the guy snubbed by DC/WB and was treated lovely by execs/Wheadon to hear him tell it. And since the DCCU is probably not going to keep half the JL stuff it might be a good boost for his career.

The bad part is of course having to try and fill in the void left by Boseman as someone upthread mentioned who ever does it is going to be under a lot of scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The armor can only be activated at a certain level of intoxication.

So it has one of those breathalyzer lockouts, but it works in reverse?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

From what I've read about it, Nolan did have other plans in mind for a follow up to The Dark Knight that involved Dent returning as a supervillan and the Joker in a Hannibal Lecter esqe role that fell through because of Heath Ledger's death and not being able to sign Aaron Eckhart back on for another movie.

EDIT: I'm also guessing with the success of Inception he was ready to movie on from Superhero movies and onto his own projects too.

I think this is off by a little though I don't have a source.

IIRC, Eckhart wanted to come back for whatever Nolan Batman 3 was going to be (during filming of TDK, or perhaps just after) and he was told by Nolan something along the lines of "No no, the script says right here, 'Dent lies still at the bottom of the pit, his neck bent at an unrealistic angle. He's not breathing'. Sorry, you're dead."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I hadn't really thought that much about the implications of Peter's identity being out there. And like I started thinking about that and the obvious threat to May thing but then realizes that while it sucks its a lot better than in the classic comics stories because May knows already and Peter and May have all those Stark/SHIELD/Avengers connections. And then somehow that got me to a place where I just started imagining Marisa Tomei and Gwenyth Paltrow as wine mom besties giving Peter a hard time and now I want that.

What if the "Put the secret identity back in the box" is part of the plot, but the twist is that everybody forgets that he's Spider-man? Ned, Mary Jane, May, and Fury all included. That's the bargain, either everyone knows or literally no-one knows.

It's kind of an interesting way to get back to status quo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Justice League: The Snyderer Cut

Skip to the end- Justice League: The Snidest Cut

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

There have been other examples of two roles for an actor but if I remember them they weren't real prominent roles.

Well there was this one old guy that they kept throwing in to all these movies for some reason, but I don't know the name of any of his characters. Pretty sure it was a different character every time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

WW84 - It's not going to blow your socks off. The stuff below is stuff that kind of stuck out to me, mostly negative, but it is not major stuff.

For the umpteenth time technically a blue beam shooting out into space is the thing that the heroes need to overcome. I'm joking, but really only about half.

Max is broadcasting to EVERYONE ON THE PLANET - in English. and we see people around the world, who we assume do not speak English because they are subtitled, responding to him and making wishes. So the broadcast is techno-magic in that not only does it broadcast to any and every electronic sound and video displaying device, but also translates the message to every spoken language.

And it's nitpicky, but this is also assuming that it is, if not daytime, generally waking hours for everywhere on the planet at the same time. (OK, it's nighttime at the secret broadcast base, but daytime in DC, and in the middle east and in the UK. It could be nighttime in China and the broadcast base, but I kind of think the base is on the East coast.

Why, when Max is using his magic TV powers, doesn't he get teleported to his son when his son says "I wish you were here daddy"? Max mentioned that you can get multiple wishes out of him because the stone was choosing to only grant one turn per user.

Max steps into the blue beam because the camera is broken, but he doesn't need the camera because science magic allows him to broadcast directly using that beam. OK, fine. While he's there, WW cannot hit him with the lasso. We see her fail multiple times. Then she monologues about how wishes hid the truth and they are cheating and bad and wrong and everyone should give up their wishes, and at some point during this, she manages to snare Max's leg, so she manages to hijack the broadcast, because the lasso also can magically broadcast the truth. Okay, I guess.

Taking the classic comic book angle of "If he didn't die on camera he's still alive", is Cheetah completely depowered, or is she just back down to Diana levels of strong? Presumably, Max rescinding his wish undid the wishes he granted (maybe), but all we get out of her is "I - I ...." and then we cut away.

Speaking of Cheetah, I actually liked the way she looked in full Cheetah form. I also liked the white house fight. I disagree that the heel turn for Cheetah is completely out of nowhere. For the first time in her life, she feels strong, and sexy and in control, and before she can even get a grasp on what that entails, here steps in this literal goddess, who has had these powers for her entire life, and says "That's not you. You didn't earn that confidence, or that strength. For the good of everyone else, listen to me and give that up."

What I didn't like is as soon as she is introduced we get Electro from ASM2 all over again. Clumsy, nerdy, awkward and desperate for attention and or affection from anyone. And our hero, being genuinely good, tries to include them and not be a dick. And since this is the only positive feedback or social interaction this person has ever received, they get a little clingy. I'm sick to death of this stereotype.

I liked the joke about learning how to make things invisible and losing the coffee mug. That was great. I like the nod to the invisible jet, that's fun. But, the jet isn't invisible because of Diana's magic "make things invisible" powers. It just is invisible. It would be invisible if Dick Grayson were sitting in it.

I'm cool with WW not knowing how to fly - I'm cool with her learning how to fly. What bothers me is Steve explaining (mansplaining?) to her how to fly. "Oh, well you just catch the wind and ride the current and glide through the air." Motherfucker, you are a pilot, flying a plane, don't try to explain the concept of flight like you are Superman. For all Diana knows she has no way to fly under her own power.

Also, Steve, you were a WW1 pilot. You had never even seen a Jet Plane before, but somehow you are able to fly one. Now, I'm sure mechanically, keeping a jet in the air and keeping a prop plane in the air use a lot of the same rules. And we do see him mess up a couple of switches/buttons when first starting. But this is a technological leap of 70-ish years. Flying might be OK, but I imagine takeoff and landing are a very different beast.

It was nice to see a low body count in a superhero movie and solving the problem with talking about Truth and Love feels very on brand for Wonder Woman. But what becomes of Max? Is he incarcerated?

Again, most of these are minor quibbles, but I don't know that I'll go back for a rewatch anytime soon.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, MCU's just a machine at this point. They can throw the Guardians, Ant-Man, the Eternals, or Shang Chi into it and it spits out a movie. Everything except apparently the Inhumans. I feel like i can actually make sensible predictions and guesses at the future of the MCU because its established a direction.

I don't think that compares. Just because they're both comic franchises doesn't make their productions similar. DC's all over the place and I have absolutely no idea what to expect from it or what the next movie could be.

I've heard recently a quote from someone who worked for the big two. It's a few years old at this point, but I just heard it last week.

"Marvel is like a tank. DC is like a Taxi with no one behind the wheel"

That was in reference to the comic production but it really seems to fit the movie making method as well

Marvel took some time to get going, and you could argue that it is crushing everything in front of and around it, but you are not likely going to stop it anytime soon.

On the other hand, by comparison DC is driving wildly, crossing lanes and doing a lot of property damage. Maybe you get to your destination, maybe you get wildly detoured, and for some people, that's fun. But at the end, I just want that ride to be over.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

having watched WW84 yesterday, I find myself agreeing with most of the criticisms I’ve seen of it over the past few days (too long, racist, an inert performance from Gadot, inconsistent internal logic, unclear character motivations, etc)... and yet I actually kinda enjoyed it? I dunno

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a movie in spite of it's faults. If you enjoyed WW84, then that's a good thing. You managed to find entertainment where others did not.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I support DC for not just following Marvel. It would be so easy for them to just make good movies and be successful, but they bravely blaze their own path by making this whole movie universe thing needlessly complex and mediocre.

(Super)Men Going Their Own Way

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine the first scene is some kind of thing where Cable and Deadpool (and maybe Domino) pop through a time portal in the middle of Endgame's big fight scene, cue Reynolds yelling "WHAT DID YOU DO?!?"

That would be pretty great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Anything important to know about the Eternals? I don't really know a bit about them. From what I gather, they sorta died around the time I've started to read Marvel comics.

Anything important about them that you don't already know will be explained in the movie. If you want to pre-game and get a crash course, pick up Neil Gaiman's Eternals as that seems the most likely source for the movie to be based off of.

But if you are looking for potential spoiler free info : Eternals are ancient immortal humanoids, created by the Celestials. The Eternals were created as defenders of Earth against the forces of the Deviants. Who were also created by Celestials. Oh and Celestials are kind of dicks that way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Also Thanos is an Eternal. Not sure if the MCU will keep that though.

I thought he was a Titan. Or was he just from Titan?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

It isnt great.

Am I crazy to think Gadot has gotten worse at acting?

I don't know if her acting was any worse. The writing is much worse (Than WW, not as familiar with JL), and it seemed like her accent was thicker in this movie. That's not a dig at her, specifically, but she did seem harder to understand. Then again I'm willing to chalk that up to the bad writing. It would have sounded bad coming out of anyone.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Mal-3 posted:

Well, you know, last chance to squeeze the marks.

Eh...I don't know. Do you think there might be a market for the 4K disc? Because if you are going to polish a turd, you might as well get the most out of every embedded kernel and glistening contour. Plus, there's the chance to sell variant covers of the box art, one for each individual hero, plus two versions of the group shot. Oh and one of Darksied where he looks like a graphics card box.

EDIT: Oh gently caress, I forgot about commentary tracks, because you know that's going to be amazing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Zachack posted:

It's a nod to the NBCs The Blacklist Universe (NBCBUSVU). The Blacklist stars James Spader , best known for his role as Ultron in The Avenger Age of Ultron, as a highly classified source of information. Of course, in The Blacklist Spaders character is Red Redington, so the sign being in green is a subtle nod that BvS is in an alternate time line. The DCU and MCU are both incorporated into the NBCBUSVU, which also incorporates TLU and the HBOTU via L&O.

Do you write for those knock off, bootleg, action figures?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Man I remember running around a playground when I was 5 or 6 and shouting SPEED OF THE PUMA and thinking it actually made me faster.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

catlord posted:

Wait, they cut that scene? I was under the impression that was one of the most important ones, the one scene where Rorschach allows his humanity to show through and he does the decent thing, despite that being antithetical to his Objectivist, black and white world-view, and the one scene where he allows himself weakness and a momentary shade of grey. It's foreshadowing to his later confrontation with Doctor Manhattan in Antarctica, and arguably foreshadowing his own death.

Edit: I've only seen the end of Watchmen, from about reaching Antarctica to the credits, so I'm not super sure how close or not the earlier sections are to the source material.

IIRC in the movie version, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre spring Rorschach from the prison, he goes to the shrink's office and grabs back his mask and coat and scares the poo poo out of the shrink.

A talking coyote posted:

It would be funny if they actually went that route and somehow found a way to make it MORE violent than just standard neck biting.

OK, how about this?. Spoiled just in case no one wants to read a Troma meets 13/yo Extreme Xtreme vampire kill.

Wrench the head away from the body at a violent angle - super painful, but not snapping the neck. Then, rather than simply biting the neck and drinking the blood, tearing a big wet chunk out of the neck, and getting a big arterial spray started. Then, the vampire uses it's super strength to lift the struggling, panicking victim over their head and basically shotguns them like a cheap beer. Finally, also like a cheap beer, the victim is crumpled and tossed aside like a worthless trash.

Hmmm. Maybe I can write for that standalone Leto Joker movie...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Oh goddamn it, that's a thing, isn't it?

Brings up an interesting question. We know WB is going full tilt, simultaneous digital and theatrical releases for all of 2021, and Disney is still officially holding on to the idea of Theatrical only for Comic book movies (maybe). What about Sony? Have they come out one way or the other so far? They don't have a dedicated streaming platform of their own AFAIK.

A talking coyote posted:

Hmmmmm it’s good, but where do the hand suckers come in?

CzarChasm posted:

Wrench the head away from the body at a violent angle - super painful, but not snapping the neck. Then, rather than simply biting the neck and drinking the blood, tearing a big wet chunk out of the neck, and getting a big arterial spray started. Then, the vampire uses it's super strength Hand Suckers to lift the struggling, panicking victim over their head and basically shotguns them like a cheap beer. Finally, also like a cheap beer, the victim is crumpled and tossed aside like a worthless trash.
Fixed

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Crimefighting gear: $50,000,000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Let your family die, the problem will resolve itself.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ED: Nah, this wasn't funny or clever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gavok posted:

It's funny, my last movie in theaters was a test screening, so I'm still not allowed to say what the last movie I saw in theaters was.

Can you say whether or not you enjoyed the experience at least?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

X-O posted:

This thread is now about guessing what movie you saw.

My guess is Free Guy.

Yeah, that was going to be my first guess too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I tried to watch MK21 this morning and only made it halfway through. But I'm going to guess at a few things

Cole is a descendant of Scorpion's baby from the opening scene in 1618

There's an uplifting scene that mirrors the opening fight in the MMA match, where Cole specifically does not tap out because of the power of friendship or Arcana or whatever.

I'm assuming Kano must turn traitor at some point, allowing Sonya to kill him and take his magic tattoo.

I will say that Kano was the best of what I saw, but seeing him start as a reasonable rear end in a top hat just kind of felt weird. Like, arrogant, sure. Violent, sure. But working even temporarily on the side of the good guys felt odd.

Sub Zero (I) being an absolute fucker - pretty good. Seeing as how he becomes a guy who wants to kill everyone and everything by the time MK11 rolls around, I think that works.

On the other hand, while it was neat seeing a pretty wide array of Sub-Zero's powers on display, could we get some other real characters working with Shang Tsung? He has 2 heavies (Sub & Mileena) and a mutant lizard half-man, and that lizard almost took out 3 would be contestants by himself. And it really seemed like Liu Kang and Kung Lao would both have zero chance of winning. There's being under dogs and there's being completely outclassed.

gently caress Arcana. Either you have magical super kung fu powers, or you don't.

Why is the whole movie not based around the tournament? I do kind of get it. If you kill all of the destined fighters from Earthrealm, before/outside the tournament, then when tournament comes, they automatically forfeit. Sure, but you would think the fact that at some point someone mentions "If Raiden knew you were cheating like this he would do something about it" and then Raiden learns about it and does nothing. So why are there even rules? At least in MK9 story, when Shao Kahn cheats there are repercussions.

Kind of neat to see Jimmy Olsen getting more buff to play Jax.

Fun to see all the little background easter eggs and nods to games in the series.

Sonya is a complete non-entity in the first half. Again, going back to the earlier question about the tournament and rules, if Shang Tsung was successful and managed to kill all of the chosen combatants, does that mean that even if Sonya wanted to fight she wouldn't be able to?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Starlord doesn't do weed, but he does the space equivalent. Whatever discrete, borderline illegal, crushed up space rock passes for weed out there.
If he's Earthbound, he'll make do

Karma Tornado posted:

Bucky smokes but he calls it like "jive" or "havana crabgrass"

"Jazz Cigarette"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

Who do yall want to be cast as the fantastic four?

Also who would be a good galactus?

Can we get away with a CGI Galactus? I mean, because I want Michael Ironside to do the voice, but I think his back is still hosed up to the point that he's not acting much anymore.

As for the fantastic four, are we looking at a young (college age) group, so we can get their origin story, and have them be just a bit older than Peter, or are we looking a bit more middle aged, Sue is already married to Reed kind of age range?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Fair point, but I was thinking more "all CGI" and less "motion capture". Like more Dormamu from Dr. Strange. Yeah, that is a face and it might have been modeled against a person, but I don't think it looks like the guy who did the voice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ED: Nah, not contributing. Nevermind

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Maybe it's because it's the first film I've seen in a theater in over a year, but I thought Black Widow was fun as hell. Harbor is a blast and Pugh is awesome. If I did have a criticism it's that there are two needle drops at the front of the movie that are way too on the nose.

I had heard that there were kind of jokey references to her two biggest (dumbest) catchphrases - Red in the ledger & I'm sterile/I'm a monster. Is that what you are referring to?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I have a question for the goons that braved the crowds at the theaters: How was the experience? I know it's going to vary by region, but were the crowds pretty big (opening weekend for a Marvel movie)? Did the theater have a distancing and/or mask rule in place?

I'm kicking around the idea of seeing this in theaters, but I'll be damned if I'm going to expose myself to higher risk just for a movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

The duck dueling piano scene from who framed Roger rabbit but Shazam and capt marvel

Howard the Duck and idk, Detective Chimp?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I said if this was the only version of Taskmaster out there, it would be good. I just like the kinda goofy one that's buddies with Deadpool.

This was also my take. I like Taskmaster as a character and a concept. He's a favorite of mine.

A guy who can perfectly copy the moves of anything he sees, including video recordings. That's potentially super deep if you explore it. And it could be a lot of fun if you play around with it. "I saw a guy in a movie do this once" ought to be a more common superpower.

But taken on it's own, MCU Taskmaster is also an interesting interpretation. We get to see them do all the cool copycat stuff

I do miss that we didn't get comic book personality Taskmaster, the working class mercenary goofball who is just there to fulfill a contract. But on the flip side, having a Taskmaster that you can't negotiate with, or buy off, and who is, yes, basically the MCU version of Amazo is a completely valid take. It kind of makes Taskmaster more intimidating if he's programmed like a Terminator.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Got to see Suicide Squad this weekend - pretty good, solid B.

Question though - What the hell is Flagg doing working for/with Waller? He's not really the moral center, and most people who oppose Waller either need to be huge powerhouses or have enough leverage on her to make her blink. He's not a prisoner of Belle Rev, so presumably he's on Task Force X voluntarily. And it's not like he gets his kicks out of putting the squad through hell. He seems to actually care that the team make it through in one piece.

In the first movie it kind of makes sense that he be involved since his girlfriend is kind of the villain, so he has her survival on his list. But in this movie, this series, what is his motivation? We know he's not doing this for "the right reasons" be cause he doesn't even know what the mission really is. And he knows Waller well enough that there's at least a bit of nefarious poo poo going on.

So why is he there on these missions. Someone without a bomb in his skull has to be on the team and see the mission through to completion?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh I mean I want comic book super leftist/anarchist sarcastic Ollie instead of the CW Batman with the serial numbers filed off Ollie.

Although tbf I only ever watched season 1 of Arrow before quitting, so I’ve no idea if he ever actually acted like comic Ollie afterward.

Not to my recollection. But then again, (almost) nobody on those CW shows ever learns from their mistakes.

"Geeze Barry/Ollie/Kara, you could have just told us what the hell was going on and we'd talk it out. You didn't have to hide your plans from us"

Repeat at least twice a season.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Speaking of Strange in the MCU, is he officially sorcerer supreme yet? Pretty sure he's just the master of the New York sanctum by the end of the first movie, so maybe the sequel is setting up the battle for the title?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So the Doc Ock we saw in the trailer looks a bit different from the one we got in SM 2. The costume looks a bit better than just Shirtless Molina in a trenchcoat. It's not the comic book green jumpsuit with yellow highlights, but is a bit closer to the more modern black outfit, which is pretty cool.

Is it too much to ask that we get a more comics accurate outfit for Green Goblin? It doesn't have to be a purple tunic over green leggings and a troll mask with a big purple sock on his head, but just a little less Power Rangers would be appreciated.

Nodosaur posted:

Where does this take that they convincingly played Garfield's Spider-man as having money troubles come from

You could argue that May having to work a couple of low paying jobs and I think a two second shot of a past due mortgage bill were lending to the "Peter's Poor" through line, but it was never a big part like it was for the McGuire movies. And Holland's effectively bankrolled by Stark Industries, so they eliminated that part of the character.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

So Donnie Yen in Blade 2 is the biggest waste of an actor right? He didn't have a single line and got killed off in a dark sewer that you can't see anything in.

Brad Pitt in Deadpool 2 I think technically tops this list.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

What I've seen, they are all click bait. Last one I read was on CBR and it was "MCU Unveils Tom Holland's Spider-man Replacement"

It was talking about "What If?"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

Talk about hard posters…… to look at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You rang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

theironjef posted:

Well hey that's three times as much as Canary in Birds of Prey, by the time we see Banshee or Siryn we might be up to as many as five screams!

We've had Banshee in First Class. And yeah, outside the training montage we get low single digits.