Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
man what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

uh excuse me New Mutants came out this year Bob

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fangz posted:

What do people actually mean by a villain team up movie? Something like suicide squad? The heroes Vs a bunch of returning villains all at once? Or a villain centred movie?

Think folks are generally talking about the Hero team vs the Villain team like X-Men vs the Brotherhood, or Avengers vs the Masters of Evil or Dark Avengers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

Personally I think it's good when people can wear more than one outfit and it's weird how heroes are only ever allowed to wear one thing forever and ever

More heroes need home, away, and alternate third jerseys. Even if it would make superhero comic books as a medium more confusing overall.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Superfast running always looks weird on screen. Like how many seasons of the Flash have we got and its always looked goofy. Yea that's a TV show, but most movies don't have much better effects for it. Either you just have them moving at a normal speed while everything is slowed down or you just have them as a blur.

In WW84 what if they filmed where Wonder Woman is moving in Slow Motion but she's supposed to be moving at super speed?

Because that's what they did in that scene. It's baffling.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
They gonna do Fantastic 4. They gonna try it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I can't help but think this clip show is going to dramatically increase the dissonance that many people will have regarding the Wanda + Vision relationship. Having their ~6 scenes together compressed into a short time period where they go from "This red dude is rescuing me from a falling city" -> "This red dude is cooking for me but he's actually a prison guard" -> "I'm the only one who can match this red dude on the airport Battlefield" -> "We're having an affair now and now I'm saving him from aliens" -> "He died and then I died"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I can't say I have any real disconnect over the Wanda/Vision relationship. Like... they dig each other. I'm fine with that. There doesn't have to be a "reason." And they been through some poo poo and Wanda's basically lost everyone she's ever loved in horrifically violent ways. So there's probably trauma there.

But the series does kind of sound like just an accompaniment series to do "Previously on" recaps and dot connecting for the new shows and movies. Which kinda makes sense now that the universe is a decade old and expanding a lot fast, especially if they start working in stuff like Daredevil. The majority of the MCU audience aren't nerds who know who Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, and She Hulk are.

I guess I phrased it wrong in that I too didn't have a real disconnect in the Wanda/Vision relationship when it was gradually released in 3 movies several years apart but it may feel jarring when/if the scenes are clipped into a 30 minute short film.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fangz posted:

Wait am I missing something because I don't see any signs this is what that is? My read of the incredibly vague tweet is that it's going to be a series of short stories that fill in some background material possibly from a new perspective, or maybe using a different art style. Maybe something like the Galaxy of Adventures shorts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJEUAe-dcGo

Disney would have announced and hyped up a show that contained new footage more than 4 weeks before its premier. The marketing and phrasing of the tweet are what leads me to think this is a clip show.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I think you can easily make it work fine with dialogue and commentary. We're just seeing key moments in their relationship development. It doesn't have to be a shipping video of 3 seasons of interactions.

A 30-60 minute recap of those moments with commentary about Wanda's powers and how the two connected as outsiders and reminder about Quicksilver and Wanda losing her family. I think that can work to ease people into a series that seems like its gonna be a little wild.

I really can't wait to see Wanda's accent change rapidly from scene to scene tbh.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Give Diana another 70 years and she'll crack the mystery of reincarnation just like she figured out two more major superpowers in WW84 after discovering energy blasts in WW1.

There are entire superheroes whose powers are things Diana just decides to try on a whim at age 300. This character is not Wonder Woman anymore.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
"drat, really wish I had my family's ancient Egyptian Kingdom back. It somehow existed without access to fresh water! It's not like the major hallmark of ancient kingdoms are their proximity to rivers."

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Had there been a single movie that was taken off the slate or anything even close to being vaporware when they announced Guardians? That heavily helped people believe that Guardians would actually happen. DC seems to announce then shuffle poo poo off the schedule all the loving time so they say "New Gods!" and all I hear is "Flash."

They announced Inhumans in like 2014 and that... turned out to be not what they were promising.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Recast TJ Miller's character in Deadpool 3 with Don Cheadle.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Speaking of which, if Eternals was originally supposed to come out 2 months ago how have we not seen a trailer yet?

I was taken aback when I saw that Shang-Chi is scheduled to come out in July! And I haven't seen a single piece of marketing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

McCloud posted:

It's simple. It's MCU style hollow fanservice. "Look, see? It's that Iconic thing from Kingdom Come! Isn't that cool, huh"? It's the same reason they shoehorned an invisible jet into the film. It doesn't make any sense except to be there as dumb easter eggs.

I guess the closest thing to this is in Thor Ragnarok to Infinity War. Thor's hammer is destroyed, he realizes he's still strong without it if not stronger, oops he gets worked by a loving Alien God, time to craft a god-killing axe.

Like, you can say that Thor's story in Infinity War being focused around the crafting of a new weapon basically undoes some of his character development from Ragnarok, but it makes more sense than Wonder Woman 84! He got fuckin worked by Thanos at the start of IW and then the weapon beats Thanos at the end of the movie.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lol I think this is the first time I've seen that the title right now is "Blade, the Vampire Slayer" and it just makes me laugh

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A talking coyote posted:

https://youtu.be/DaOgZwk9rN8

Also really? “We live in a society”? :jerkbag:

This whole thing has been a massive undertaking to get the Joker to say "We live in a society" in a major motion picture. Great bit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

How does Jesus imagery even begin to make sense for the Joker? If it's supposed to be ironic, what's the irony? If it's not what the gently caress?

The Joker is Jesus. So is Superman. They are both Jesus.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
This is just escalation from when the Joker became Iran's ambassador to the UN to prevent Batman from being able to punch him. Can Batman bring himself to punch Jesus?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Karloff posted:

All of this Christ stuff adds to my belief that Batman will kill Joker in ZSJL.

At least Rocksteady's Arkham City turned the Batman - Joker relationship into Cain and Abel. Yes, they made the Joker into Abel. Batman killing somebody is just as important as the first biblical murder as it should be.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Roth posted:

That doesn't make sense because Batman was about to save Joker and then Joker hosed it up, dooming himself.

Uh excuse me, is Batman not his brother's keeper? (His brother is the Joker.)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Beamed posted:

this movie will be as garbage as all the Snyder movies. Fortunately, it will be a different kind of garbage than the MCU and Star Wars movies.

Only Rocksteady has the courage to state what we all know: The Joker is not a person or a Jesus, the Joker is a blood virus that gives people clown makeup and makes them find crime funny. No movie studio or director is brave enough to say this yet.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

i can't believe i'm trying to avoid reading spoiler posts for loving mortal kombat of all things but that's where i am atm

e: did i say last night that i wish that these games had name captions when new characters show up? because i do

it would be a legitimate choice if before every fight scene the MK Narrator came in and said something to the effect of "Sonya VERSUS Sub-Zero"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Glad to see Bruce is in Doc Strange 2.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A little Snyder cut teaser, I assume he'll be posting one for each character

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Also hilariously everytime I type Snyder with swipe keyboard my phone makes it say Snuffer

I think this teaser just spoiled the entirety of Martian Manhunter's dialogue.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's four hours of Snyder staring straight down the lens without moving or even blinking. You can only tell it's not a still image because of the insects crawling all over him.

you're making me dream of Snyder directing a remake of a Tarkovsky film. What would Zack Snyder's Stalker remake be like? This will haunt me until death.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lmao that WB's calculus determined that they should lose money in order to increase fan sentiment... only for the most crazed cohort of fans to hate them even more.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The United States posted:

The Snyder Cut Sabotage Conspiracy Theorists on Twitter aren't saying that WB leaked it via the Tom and Jerry glitch to make it look bad, they're saying they must have leaked an unfinished version where some scenes aren't ready and thus look especially bad in order to make it look bad.

And sure, we've got over a week to go until the actual release. But lol when it releases and the pick up shots look the same.

ah yes, WB learned this technique from when Fox purposely sabotaged X-Men Origins Wolverine. It's a very advanced conspiracy that catapulted Fox to becoming the largest movie studio in the world by being absorbed by Disney. This is WBs endgame.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arist posted:

Whatever? Like, it's a bad idea but I'm not really ragging on Snyder for considering it because it's (ostensibly, from the way it was mentioned) not in the movie. People have bad creative ideas all the time, it's part of workshopping, and I have no idea of the surrounding context that idea would have existed within. There's no reason to defend it because I wasn't attacking it.

The trope can be done very well, like on the CW DC shows when Iris West (whos husband is The Flash) has a crush on Oliver Queen. It's a funny bit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Snyder is doing a tremendous bit. He has been utterly jokerfied. It's amazing.

Madkal posted:

People talking about sound and too much bass is just giving me flashbacks to the sound fr Mandy. Couldn't really hear anything in that movie.

I just watched Mandy a few weeks back and didn't notice anything wrong with the mix, could have been a theater error?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I really didn't see a lot of overlap in Eisenberg's Luthor and Zuck performances beyond the superficial tech billionaire wrapper.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah no surprise coming from me, but I liked it a lot.

I do agree it's way too long to be a theatrical release, and some of the cg isn't quite all the way there. But I loved a lot of the action and how the characters arcs play out. Diana was total loving badass.

Blocking bullets with her bracers at full speed and killing people who deserve to die. This is Wonder Woman.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

You can still get and give covid when vaccinated lol

but you won't get a case that requires hospitalization or kill you.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They should have given him Eternals.

I saw tiny little rumblings that the people who've seen Eternals (I guess producers and execs at this point) have been completely blown away by how good it is. I'll believe it when I see it of course.

Also, completely crazy to think that Chloe Zhao could have easily been nominated for best Director and Picture in the same year she did a huge Marvel movie if it weren't for the pandemic delays.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's two ways to read this:

1. If you like any of these directors, you're actually a nazi.

Or 2. If you like any of these directors you should actually check out this Nazi, despite the fact she worked in documentary not narrative.

Both of them are equally horrible takes.

This is a meta-joke about a really bad TikTok about books (which was serious), this particular tweet isn't serious.

Yes, I've been on twitter too much this week.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm down with Sam Wilson Cap's fighting style incorporating the wings and shield in marvel movie choreography. That sounds good as hell to me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
it wouldn't be a true little piece of new information about a marvel movie without a handful of holier than thou nerds on twitter reading everything in the absolute worst possible light

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Marvel Studios has (had?) a mystery film dated for October of next year, wonder if that's still the case

Notably missing from the hype trailer is Captain America which was just recently announced and may not have been 100% greenlit when they were putting together the sizzle reel. Would be an incredibly compressed production schedule though.

I think they just moved the October 2022 mystery release to 2023 and it's Fantastic 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

There is a shot of the Eternals in front of what i think is the Ishtar Gate in Babylon, so are they going to be superheroing though the ages? Not in a time travel way, but in a we live forever so we have been fighting evil since the humans first discovered fire hot.

Yes that is my understanding of the premise. They are the "real life" figures that stories of legend and myth are based off of. They are literally Gilgamesh, Ajax, Circe, Athena, etc.