Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Posie Parker is like two rounds of telephone away from Pansy Parkinson from Harry Potter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

He's changed his tune then.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/abbott-hits-out-at-new-push-on-euthanasia-laws-20070129-ge43fr.html

As soon as it started costing money as well, funny that.

No, it's perfectly consistent. If you want to die, you're not allowed to. If you don't want to, you have to.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

crispix posted:

Just order booze and gently caress off without paying, op

also without drinking any

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I assume ricicles is pronounced in the Classical Greek manner, like if Rik Mayall played Heracles.

I know they're not the same person but I just imagined Matt Berry bellowing it and it workstoo well

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Write your own captions.

"I agree with the government's policy of putting sticks in people's spokes, but they're not doing enough."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ankh-morpork is based on all the big cities pratchett knew anything about, obviously mainly london but also venice, new york and if you say you see cairo then I suppose there might be some of that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I was a horribly morbid child who loved reading about industrial accidents, and whenever Chernobyl comes up, my favourite game is getting people to estimate how many people died as a direct result, then seeing how long they follow me saying "Less" each time.

I've got no patience for that kind of silliness.

It's "fewer".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

peanut- posted:

It's funny to wind up very earnest people sometimes. Also I suspect he didn't think it would be very believable when he talked about the pain of being known as 'curry club' and 'guest ale' when working on the Telegraph culture desk.

If you can't immediately spot that as a joke you should recalibrate a little.

that's exactly how sheltered and sensitive the average journo is though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

posting for no particular reason

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sounds ideal. And why would "unisex" not be ok, you spod?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's the part where it's the seller's dead sister's knickers that Jose finds grim

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

we've been promised demographic shift as long as I've been politically aware and poo poo's just been getting worse and worse this whole time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ancaps are either unbelievably stupid and just parroting propaganda lines, or they know it's feudalism and they're hoping for a baronetcy at least.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Like he's a big fan of the security services and loves to give them special treatment, but if getting a big boner over something made you a member of it, my life would be alot easier.

there's also that brief years-long stint he did as head of the CPS

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Kiwis are actually quite a lot larger than you might think. I always used to think they were small but they're about the size of chickens.

how do people fit so many in a bowl

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow, I forgot just how different the first couple of Discworlds really are. It reads like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but fantasy, only Rincewind and Twoflower keep forgetting which of them is supposed to be Ford and which is Arthur. There's the character inconsistencies too, especially with Death, but that's more like just a sub issue of the whole character of the books being different. The shift in Equal Rites is immense, even if Granny's only 80, 90% nailed down to what she'd become later.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Carrot works fine with pasta as long as it's in the right mix of other things. Get a bit of sausage meat in there for a start.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not very much happens in Pyramids does it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

.. that's kind of the point, what with it being a time loop n' all... ;)

the other bits don't have very much going on either

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Faust Eric wasn't especially good either. Structurally it's The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic but without the benefit of the doubt. I found it impossible to care about any of the Hell stuff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBF though the dude turned out 30-odd books - if I do 30 posts and only 2 of them are "meh" I'm loving *overjoyed* at that strike rate.

41 just in Discworld, thank you very much. I'm starting on the tenth right now, so far I'd consider four of them solidly skippable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tooting my own horn a bit but fuckin hell, libs are bad at this. Thread.
https://twitter.com/Real_ManJackson/status/1322202571646390273?s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/status/1321946637921591302?s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

this Jeremy Corbyn chap, criticising Israel, you have to see how to some Jews that does look a bit like Hitler's death machine sweeping across Europe on a campaign of extermination, yes?

no no that's not a direct comparison, I said "a bit", but

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

who wants to bet the pandemic will still be going in 2024 and keith can starm to victory on a slogan of "Get Covid Done"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

He 100% needs Florida, Georgia and North Carolina to even have a chance, Georgia is a coin-toss and Biden is spanking him in North Carolina, Trump is hosed

I remember being optimistic the last two times. don't call anything yet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

win or lose this result means trumpism isn't going away, the GOP's going to have a competent hitler ready to go in 2024, all that's left to see is whether america will have a chance to vote on him or not

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

what did I say about optimism

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Trump is back on twitter and losing his poo poo because that whole campaign he did where he told people not to vote by mail worked, but only on his side. Also twitter keep censoring him so lol.

That was the point of it. If a load of mail in votes come in and flip the election for Biden, he can try and claim it's all rigged.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bit late but I happen to know that the trolly locks M&S use can have the coin tray popped out with the end of one of their plastic zip ties. Rectangular slot right next to the tray, shove something long and thin down there and fiddle around till it goes click.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the only person I've ever encountered myself who seemed genuinely incensed about circumcision was an MRA who was also trying to claim MRAs weren't misogynists and rejecting any and all investigations into the issue because they were done by feminists or used feminists as a source or had looked at a feminist at some point

other than that, only that one Silent Hill wiki admin

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I embedded the wrong tweet, but the Hill seems to think the 'fireworks reported in London' are about Trump, and not because the 5th November annual dog scaring contest lasts about a week.

http://twitter.com/thehill/status/1325161871754858496?s=19

already deleted

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

stev posted:

I haven't read or seen it but Mortal Engines sounds like the ideal scenario.

while the idea of giant city-vehicles driving around the blasted wasteland of England is a fun one from a distance, the one book I've read was mainly about the horrific Victorian-esque class division with the poor living down below in the guts of the thing and being made to work on the engines and risk getting maimed or killed while the rich swan about in the hanging gardens of london on top, so, maybe less ideal and more slightly worse than what we already have.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a photoshop, francisus is some random person with a slightly pope-ish looking handle. The Pope would probably be @Pontifex like he is on Twitter.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jose posted:

probably wanna actually check before claiming this

https://www.instagram.com/franciscus/

https://twitter.com/WeirdEducator/status/1327849312714309634?s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aeble posted:

Thanks!

That does seem super inept. How did he become leader with political instincts like that?

his main opponent projected school teacher who has trouble keeping control of the class energy at all times

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the cultural damage is visible from space

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

E: my uncertainty about describing what's happening as 'ethnic cleansing' is that it just seems to make no sense. There are active Uyghur members of the CCP. The language is a recognised minority language. There are dedicated cultural institutions to promote Uyghur culture. All of these things are controlled by the party at some level, but that's why I tend to think its more a heavy handed response to separatism. That's not good, obviously, but it's not exactly ethnic cleansing. That would be like having the Third Reich have Jewish ministers and recognising Yiddish and making Hannukah an official holiday - it just seems absurd.

ok so first, this isn't a remotely valid comparison, the nazis had "wiping out the Jewish menace" as a central tenet, possibly the most central tenet, of their ideology. and second, yes, it's all officially written down and recognised, well done, how wonderfully easy that makes it to find them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just to say, praising China's response to the virus isn't praising fascism by definition because China isn't fascist. Horrible, yes, authoritarian, yes, but not fascist. Also being authoritarian actually puts you in a pretty good position to deal with a pandemic, fascists then gently caress it up because they're incapable of admitting the virus is a threat that they can't just be Strong at.