Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my work wants to keep me in a day a week while I'm at school and I have the option between that and a 5 week pay period. think ima take the money lads and lassies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
buy a high end gaming computer like me - that way I can pump out up to 700w of heat when I'm feeding in Apex.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
don't pay flat taxes you're allowed out of on principle, gently caress the bbc

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ThomasPaine posted:

Can confirm that the on the occasions I've been on JSA/UC their tone has completely changed when they see my education history and realise I can go through all the motions of middle class etiquette. They often then were openly rude about other claiments but implied I was somehow not like them. They barely even tried to hide their contempt for what they saw as the 'undeserving' poor.

god, the difference between being a long term unemployed immigrant on jobseekers for the years i needed to claim it compared to the temporary period after i claimed it as i was made redundant was stark. they treat you like poo poo regardless but they for sure treat some more like poo poo than others.

i remember i was sitting there, middle classly reading, when a dude in a full tracksuit also was waiting to be served. the worker needed to address us both and the way she spoke to the middle-class and class signifyingly polite claimant versus him was insane. several times she would say something to him like she was talking to a dog, turn around and say the same thing to me all sweetness and light. me and the dude shared several like, wtf is this poo poo glances between each other.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dead Goon posted:

I applied to do a Batchelors at the OU and applied for finance. Just need to find my bloody birth certificate!

how many of us are retreating back to academia lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

feedmegin posted:

Why does he only have, like, five chips

cause they need to print calories on menus now, and fries wind up being the majority of the calories in the dish. this happens a lot - fish and chips!*

*fish and chip

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

happyhippy posted:

I still remember clearly when our class played Blockbusters, we were divided up boys/girls, and it was obvious the teacher wanted the girls to win.
All the questions were so easy, upto mine.
I selected 'P'. And was asked 'What P is a hunting bird'. Peregrine Falcon!
How the gently caress is a 10 year old meant to know that.

i'd probably have gotten in trouble for saying pterodactyl tbh

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah but there's crisp and then there's overdone and the lighting makes it look like the latter. Then again maybe the chippy near my old flat was staffed by wizards because the fish was never too greasy.

Goddamn I miss that place but last I did a google street view nostalgia check it was closed down with the rest of the shopping center it was in.

Real inconsistencies in how much batter/how browned it has to be for it to be "real" fish and chips - people can't agree on it. Personally I find pale fried food kind of unpleasant to look at which hurts the visual appetising element.

you should move here. actually, you should move to almost anywhere except here, unless you're still living in america, at which point you should move here.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Another use for a Brita filter maybe.

every time you switch the filter out - after about a month and a half - i keep intending to fire some loving vladimir or popov through it, i never remember to do so. putting vodka through for sure fucks your filter but you're replacing it anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mebh posted:

From reading about you only need to put it through a brita filter if you want it to be clearer. It doesn't change the taste.

for sure incorrect. try it sometime.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that the brita filter supposedly makes cheap poo poo vodka taste like good vodka though I can't say I understand why, you can't filter things in solution that I'm aware of.

because the difference between cheap and decent vodka is how many times it is filtered. again, i disagree with Guavanaut - you put vodka through one and the water in there tastes disgusting, but it's a great thing to do at the end of a filter's life. you can even do it multiple times - through multiple filters - and make it even nicer.

i'm not a hoocholigist i am not sure why it works, but it for sure does.

e: actually, googling around you can do it multiple times with the same filter, so long as you know you're destroying it. gonna try that next time.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2020

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
learning to purify lovely alcohol will prove an essential skill in the post brexit wasteland. trading a jar of triple filtered Brexit Victory Tesco Value vodka for some fish antibiotics and a half a loaf of mostly wood shavings bread. i'm ready.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
chicken noodle soup. i know, it's not what you'd call a frontline breakfast, but it's great for the same reason it's great when you're sick - hydrates, full of electrolytes, soothing. that and water.

need to practice what i preach actually i am loving hungover lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

If you can't feel you're brain rattling around inside your skull when you make the slightest move, you're not hungover

i am, the inside of my eyelids feel like sandpaper, hungover. a vitamin c effervescent is helping tho

Mebh posted:

I managed to stop at 3 beers last night. So no hangover woot.

I did go buy a load of random crap to start filtering vodka.

Thanks late night drunk goons. You're all a lot of fun.

<3

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there is a quote from a famous historical medical pioneer, i want to say galen but i could be wrong, that's basically like "well, i don't know if our cures work, but i know for sure they take time and convince the user they work, and time + optimism about your prognosis is the most powerful set of tools we have. our job is to keep the patient occupied until nature can correct the problem".

i sometimes think about that when i read hangover cures.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Private Speech posted:

I'm using about half of those, if not so insanely exaggerated. Err. I'm a foreign though? I hope that absolves me a bit?

In fact I'm not sure how you pronounce faux-pas, strudel, conquistador or linguini anglicised tbh. And come on, croissant (whith croi instead of cross), tapas (instead of tapass) and bruschetta (with -sket- instead of -shet-) isn't that weird surely.

americans are typically less receptive to americans pronouncing in a foreign manner - as travel is so comparatively expensive being able to pronounce european words in particular to signify you have traveled is seen as very pretentious. look at me i can afford italian vacations and as such i can say things like an rear end in a top hat. of course some americans are less receptive to anyone speaking in a foreign manner and hey they got trump.

in the UK there's an absolute ton more exposure to europe - amsterdam is literally cheaper to get to than london. everyone, even the most gammon, takes advantage of places like spain and cyprus for holidays - even working class people or schools can afford to send students to a foreign country and language. roughly half of the UK's population considers themselves european, or did, and as such we are much more receptive to continental touches. of course some brits are less receptive to anyone speaking in a foreign manner and hey we got brexit.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i guess you don't necessarily need the idea of germ theory to not want poo poo on your hands or food

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fridge corn posted:

What has my good friend breat ray done to upset to noble folk of the ukmt d&d thread?

do you have someone talented that might take over doing this for a bit, like, for a change? do you have, i don't know, a funny loved one or something. just spitballing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fridge corn posted:

My girlfriend (soon to be fiancee as soon as the ring I designed is finished being made) is very funny although

well, they say opposites attract. best of luck with that!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fridge corn posted:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to big things from the Lib Dems now that Ed "Big Ed" Davey is in charge

lifeless, dull. i can absolutely tell you're not letting your Hot Wife do her great posts here.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
twisto i'm...i'm so sorry...

https://twitter.com/johnrivers/status/1303575009386954755?s=20

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
windows has encrypted drives on Pro and up forever

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

communism bitch posted:

Yes: Every woman I've tricked into coming to my flat has remarked on the fact that I don't have any furniture.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with it, as it's less aggro whenever I move house. But nice girls apparently expect not to be forced to sit on an office chair or the floor lol.

As for the cost, I''m going for some L-shaped Ikea thing because I can get it delivered and I know it won't be hosed up out the box. And I also want something that I can pass out on every now and then. But the rest of the time I know I'll be at my desk or whatever.

ferchristsake, don't drop hundreds of quid on it if you can't afford to. go on facebook market or something, you can get genuinely decent secondhand for much less expensive than that, british heart foundation is good too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
as a student i ain't give a poo poo and loving adore the fact i don't need to move yet tbh. i'd do 4 years like this if they'd offer.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Every loving thread I read is posting about the wet eggs goddamn.

That's how eggs get to the deli, how did people think they got there?

in jars like god intended

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
he means because a bunch of poor people were already dead.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

I remember thinking in 2008, oh this recession starting up the now seems pretty bad, it's good timing for me that i'm just in first year of university, it'll all be sorted out by the time I graduate. Everything will get better again and we'll all be fine. I would guess not many freshers nowadays will be feeling the same way about, y'know, everything

tbh i'm mostly thinking about how i don't need to look for work until at least next summer, thank goodness

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
mask use has actually skyrocketed in the past few weeks on public transportation in my observation. not only did everyone wear them, everyone wore them properly and on one occasion everyone staring at someone who had a peeking nose caused her to address it.

the public are doing their best. the schools make infection utterly inevitable.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the liberal faction in the USA understands instinctively that RBG represents an utter and complete strategic failure - the kind of utter boneheaded move that undermines their argument that they're a "steady hand" at the till, rather than a pack and parcel of utter morons.

as they can't answer the question "why didn't rbg retire" with the correct answer (because the knew we'd win 2016 and as such weren't worried) as it demonstrates they're idiots, but they also want to communicate clearly that they have no intention of using "extra-constitutional" powers to address the supreme court. as such RBG dying is now must become the moment at which everything went to poo poo - not when they picked hilary, not when they picked biden, not the hilary or biden campaigns, but now. that one tiny and at times vile human being ceasing to breathe was the real turning point and that we totally could have managed it if only she'd clung on longer.

they want to martyr her. it's very, very sad.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Fortunately only tedious cunts define themselves or derive their worth by their job. For most people it is merely a practical necessity and they find meaning in more personal pursuits than making money for someone else.

i worked for the nhs for five years and as a full time trade union steward for about a year and i enormously defined my self worth through how i applied myself in those roles. that's the danger with these absolute statements - even when i was working in the private sector i have almost always been extremely proud of my accomplishments and professionalism in my roles even if it was a practical necessity - i do not think that is an unusual statement to say?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
:yikes:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

commensal? i looked up what that word means

yeah i had to too, i think it means something different in the context of infectious disease maybe? i would guess from context that they meant like, widely spread in the community? not sure.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is it a way to like, patronizingly describe someone, like "sweetie"?

e: or, like "hun"? maybe?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pistol_Pete posted:

Perhaps everyone commenting spends a lot of time in Wetherspoons, I dunno v:shobon:v

unsurprisingly closing all recreation and leisure while keeping offices open leads to people presuming the virus mustn't have been that threatening to begin with and also were unpopular.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

feedmegin posted:

Possibly no tuition fee loan either, don't you only get one shot at it?

you get one year worth of do over if you fail or change your undergrad iirc

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

WhatEvil posted:

It is a lot of effort, and cost, but I can definitely recommend it nevertheless, if you have the opportunity and the money to do so. I do not regret getting the gently caress out.

(Sorry, not trying to gloat, it really is very sad and distressing to me what the UK has become.)

t minus three years and counting lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
got my student loan bay-bee

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't he have an epiphany where he went from 'edgy' comics to being a full blown extremely online feminist?
yeah, and several more where he went full SWERF and TERF

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

stev posted:

I don't hold anything against catered halls but the year I spent living off super noodles and Rustlers burgers made me the man I am today, and I wouldn't want to see any fresher robbed of that.

I think they give you about a thousand pounds a month if you take the full maintenance loan. You can get a non dive where I live for 3-400 quid then utilities (no council tax) is another hundred odd, that leaves a solid chunk for eating OK so long as you're intelligent with your money.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Really a grand?

9k a year but i'm not counting the summer months - most, but certainly not all students are moving back with their parents for the other months. i think you need to buy books and poo poo with that too?

quote:

Anyway youre missing the booze, drugs and graphics cards columns on your quicken setup.
lol, wrong there, i just personally wound up with enough saved up from my old gig to not have to worry about it for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah so that used to be one of the good things about going to uni as a mature student (which is actually just classed as being over 21), if you have had 3 years of supporting yourself through work, *even if you've been living with your parents*, you're classed as an "independent student" or something and automatically qualified for the highest level of maintenance grant. Now I think there aren't any grants at all and it's all just a loan? You should still qualify for the max though.

yep! and in theory newcastle will also give me a low income opportunity grant although given the numbers they'll need to be admitting i'll believe that particular cash when i sees it