Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Legends shows featuring Wanda and Vision are out now. They are indeed 7 minute long youtube clip compilations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

The social media impressions for WandaVision are mostly positive, but my main takeaway from them is that at least the first three episodes (which are the only ones made available to critics) mostly stick to the sitcom-pastiche format, and that it’s a slow burn with respect to the broader plot that establishes how exactly this alternate reality came to be and can exist in the post-Endgame MCU.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing if it’s executed well, it’s certainly an interesting creative choice, but it’s probably not what many of the fans who have been waiting for new MCU content for a year and a half were hoping for or expecting, so I wonder if there’ll be some backlash.

I think you may be right. Having to delay FaWS might bite them in this regard because FaWS looks like the show that would establish the new status quo of the MCU post Endgame along with Far From Home.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Teek posted:

It also sounded like the episodes are shorter, but no exact run time was given that I’ve seen yet. Maybe they are sticking with an actual 23-24 minute sitcom length? I understand the pastiche hook, but that would kind of suck if all nine(?) episodes are like that. Hopefully they push closer to 30 minutes.

The reason I heard for the last minute announcement of 9 episodes as opposed to 8 was that the first two episodes will be released at the same time and they're less than 30 minutes like the old sitcoms they're aping. I assume the rest will be 40 - 60 minutes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

See I thought that too at first but there's a few times where they show computer images of the tower and it looks like the arc reactor is underground. Pepper says "you disconnected the transmission lines, are we off the grid?" when Tony's flying back from doing whatever he's doing, which is what confused me in the first place haha.

It's a really dumb thing to get hung up on and I know that the actual answer is probably "audience's are here to see cgi man punch each other who cares?" but it was something I noticed the first time seeing the movie in theaters and I am still not sure what's actually going on. Are marvel movies just too deep for me??

He's disabling the power transmission lines to Stark Tower without a city permit. Rebel that he is.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gavok posted:

A note about the first commercial: the toaster very much resembles what Ultron's original form looked like in the comics.

And the second commercial: Strucker is the scientist and leader of Hydra who supercharges the Twins. Both commercials are heavily referential to Wanda and Vision's "Creators." Stark, Ultron, Strucker.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

So I looked up SWORD on Wikipedia because I wasn’t sure what it’s deal was, and the part that references Wandavision is kinda spoilery so watch out. Sentient Weapon Observation Response Division. Is that what it always stands for?

Not to my knowledge, usually the W stands for World and not Weapon. SWORD deals with extraterrestrial threats mainly.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like to think that recast Pietro is just literally Evan Peters who happened to be hanging around New Jersey. I think he's just a guy, and this is a cheeky meta-joke, he's not literally from the Fox X-Men Universe.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

So, the Lagos paper towel advert. Any specific reference there I'm missing?

Just continuing the trend of each advert being a reference to a traumatic point in Wanda's life. It was in Lagos that Wanda accidentally kills Wakandan bystanders in an office building while trying to save Cap and a crowd of civilians in the market at the start of CA: Civil War.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

stev posted:

Or come back as mutants. :tinfoil:

Westview NJ is just close enough to Westchester NY that I'd believe it...

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
With the way the acting head of SWORD was asking relatively forcefully about if Wanda has ever had a codename or callsign, it makes me think he's an imposter or possibly from another universe where she is known as the Scarlet Witch. It also makes me wonder if they'll finally give her the moniker. I can't recall if she was ever referred to as a Witch in AOU but I don't think she was.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I read that as Hayward just being a dick to Jimmy some more, belittling him and his interest in superheroes. "Oh, does your favourite hero have a special name? What's her power rating? Wanna show us her trading card?"

Extremely weird thing for him to get aggro about considering his ex-boss was an Air Force pilot with the callsign Photon but he could just be a dick.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof. The Spaniard guy who accidentally leaked this last episode character cameo got fired, people say there's another person credited for the dub. News says he deleted every social media he had. Oh super yikes.

I'm friends with a person at one of the major special effects shops that works with Marvel all the time. I always ask which Marvel picture they're working on and have never gotten any response until the movie is out and then he's like "yeah I wish I had more time to work on deaging SLJ". It is incredibly serious business, like no cell phones in the office levels of serious.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lammasu posted:

I have a weird question. How does one get the job to make the fake CGI for trailer? Like is it a prestigious job? Is it like, "Johnson, I think you're ready to work on the fake Hulk."

The special effects house typically doesn't get the entire movie or show and individual teams or artists get even less context for their shots and scenes than a person at the studio director level. My friend worked on Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and Wasp, and Endgame most recently. He told me after we saw Captain Marvel that he was imagining while working on it that it would need to be the length of two movies, and that the first one would take place almost entirely in space in a war between Kree and Skrull, like Carol falling to Earth would be a post-credits scene and that the whole thing took place in the 90s would be a twist. This is just to illustrate that the individuals have very little idea of how what their working on fits into a larger whole. That's one reason he just will not talk about anything related to what he's currently working on, he has very little idea of what would constitute an actual spoiler.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, indeed. I think she got the "twin sensing the other twin dying because magical twin bond" trope.

At this point I think Wanda being able to sense death or extreme pain in a close genetic relation is part of her power set in the MCU because it was Billy, pointedly not Wanda, who sensed that Vision was dying beyond the boundary of the Hex. Although how synthezoids pass on genes is a whole other can of worms.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
My thoughts are that Agnes is in WitPro and that's why SWORD hasn't IDed her. The hints towards her dead husband as well, perhaps that's the case she's a witness to. Jimmy wouldn't be very outspoken about when he sees her on the TV and say to everyone: "Hey, that person is in Witness Protection." I think the Agatha Harkness hints are a red herring.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Man, I really need to watch the Age of Ultron deleted scenes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I need to see the 1951 flashback match between Bradley vs. Barnes in Korea. Make the 30 minute side episode please.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That montage made me think they were doing a spin on MVP and combining him with Walker a bit.

Will this series have the guts to make Flag Smasher a superhero like they're telegraphing? Or more fodder for the Thunderbolts?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lmao at Sam's face when Bucky says: It was actually White Wolf.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I got just a whiff of Antony Starr Homelander vibes from the Good Morning America interview at the start of the ep. Maybe it's just because everyone seems insincere on the morning talk shows.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Aren't sorcerers natural talents with a limited range, while wizards learn it all from books (and wear dumb hats)? Or something.

In the MCU they seem to be interchangeable though.

That's the distinction in tabletop RPGs like D&D but in general they're interchangeable.

In the MCU, Wanda is a "Witch" (natural talent) and Strange is a "Sorcerer" (learned skill) but comic titles are just poo poo that sounds cool.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Wow, this episode was quite... busy. Not sure I buy like 50% of these character choices. Why they gotta do Karli like this?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Turning? We don't actually know this character at all yet.

Other characters reactions make it seem completely out of character for her.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think Sharon is in deep cover as a burned spy in the Power Broker's org but not herself the Power Broker.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

tsob posted:

I also wonder how you think you can portray anti-establishment revolutionaries who aren't violent without also being completely ineffective; especially in a story about punchmens.

The show did this with the Flag Smashers in earlier episodes relatively effectively: They have the Super Soldier Serum which has opened the option of subduing people who are trying to kill them. They can disarm and knock-out people with guns relatively easily because they have the serum. There is no reason (as of yet) for Karli to bomb an a building full of people she has already beaten.

I do believe that somebody floated the idea earlier that the SSS is beginning to have adverse effects on the morality of those who have used it - as it has in all SSS subjects except for approximately three.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I love the Brazil look of the TVA. Control is probably more well known at this point but watch Brazil.

Loki's look also is giving me Noah Hawley's Legion vibes in terms of tech and set design.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

live with fruit posted:

So does Hawkeye's wife leave him after finding out he became a psychopath when she was snapped?

Or Clint is on the run from some organized crime ring that he murdered during the snap who just had their ranks doubled when everyone reappeared.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Tony loves fighting his friends! This is established in Iron Man 2 when he blasts Rhodey through about 4 walls when Rhodey tried to prevent him from operating his Iron Man suit while pants-pissingly drunk. It's a rite of passage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

You’re not wrong, that’s exactly why they used the Vita-Rays...but Steve’s cells were able to convert light directly into mass.

Also, why aren’t there Vita-Ray tanning beds in the MCU? Seems like a no brainer. Stark had the patent.

This is why Steve instantly connects with Groot in Infinity War and reveals he speaks the language just like Thor can.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The only small issue with a Season 2 would be that the name would have to change to Captain America and the White Wolf.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Guess we should start laying markers on who is an alien in these shows. Sharon Carter is already a Kree infiltrator.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Wait, were the guys trying to kill everyone in the cargo stacks in ep 3 just bounty hunters? I'd assumed that was the power broker's goons the whole time. And who put the bounty out if not the power broker?

This makes no sense to me given what we now know.

Yes, the series as a whole felt very disjointed and rushed.

They cut and ADRed the hell out of this thing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There are a lot of irons in the fire now, eh? Seems like the marvel output is gonna have to double to keep up with all these side characters like US Agent and Zemo along with the main characters. I wonder if that was the plan before covid

And honestly I am kinda into it if it means getting weird one offs or miniseries.

Marvel has done a good job of developing a stable of heroes but a very poor job of developing recurring villains, very odd when you consider cape books as a genre! I'm glad they're catching up a bit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bleck posted:

Ta-Nehisi Coates is Black.

yes and?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That's good, Wednesdays are TV nights IMO.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I guess there were only about 10,000 Asgardians in existence at the time of Ragnarok? And maybe a couple hundred now. Very sad!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Shamelessly stealing from the internet:

incredible

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Realistically, how often are you going to update the burner phones in your dozens of personal spy supply caches located in strategically accessible locations worldwide?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I like when Taskmaster fights someone that has an ability that he can't mimic. Like in All New Wolverine where Laura just stabs him trough the hand with her foot claw. They always forget about the foot claws

Like what would he do against like, Scarlet Witch or Longshot?

Mimicking the fighting style of Laura or Logan who have no need to play defense is a bad idea Tasky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Childlike! Yes, absolutely. The goofy and sexless Black male has become a staple of DisneyCIA movies: John Boyega’s Finn and Anthony Mackey’s Captain Falcon with the precocious and quippy Black female (Letitia Wright’s pre-cancellation Shuri for example) fulfilling a mirror role. Who is the real audience for these? The 90% white audiences which need to be pandered and flattered with a non-threatening, apolitical, trademarked and ready to serve “Blackness”.

This is part of a larger cultural project stretching back to Bill Gates’s genocidal efforts in Africa and Bill Clinton’s 1994 Welfare Reform.

I know you're a weirdo and this kind of posting is your gimmick and that the MCU is largely devoid of sex but Sam Wilson's first scene in Winter Soldier ends by Natasha and Him eye-loving each other. Whether you want to now make the criticism that this was because the Directors were worried that some people would think Sam and Steve were gay is up to you.