Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i just don’t see why anyone that’s not bluesky would ever want to run a bluesky instance. you’re just paying money to assume risk for bluesky

bluesky is a lovely idea and i hope it dies on the vine and jack goes and crawls into some crypto hole and stays there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my favorite thing about caligula is that his name means little boot, because that’s what soldiers called him when he paraded around in miniature armor as a child

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

Well his name was Gaius Julius Cæsar Augustus Germanicus (Augustus coming after ascension). Even given the frequently insulting nature of Roman cognomens (Cæsar is among other things thought to be mocking the family tendency towards baldness, Cicero means chickpea, Brutus means "stupid-looking", Pulcher "pretty boy", etc) Caligula fuckin hated it and its usage in histories is another posthumous "gently caress you"

And fun fact: the Horace that started this thread of conversation deserted the battle at Phillipi and returned to Rome under amnesty. (His cognomen, Flaccus, well, I'm sure you can guess what it means but I'm not quite sure the context is the same. Also a patrician, which is surprisingly less common than you might think when it comes to portrayals of the period.)

diss culture run amok!

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

catallus really had a way with words :allears:

my partner and i have been (slowly) teaching ourselves latin, but reading this is well beyond my grasp, so i had look it up, and funnily enough, she already had it open in a browser tab by total coincidence

also fun: out of curiosity i wanted to see what google translate would make of it and it translates the opening line as “I will follow you and I will visit you” lmao

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ultrafilter posted:

Google Translate doesn't work with Latin. Like yes, they offer it as an option, but the output is so bad that it's really only good for getting an idea of what the text doesn't say.

yeah, it’s not even useful for translating individual words, i use it for lols exclusively

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

minato posted:

That's modern history compared to the mouse with the RS-232 connector:
https://twitter.com/EternalDago/status/1678867667757809665

i’m the wed pages

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

bssoil posted:

This, but for hockey

yeah i’ve always thought hockey could use more soccer balls :hmmyes:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

KoRMaK posted:

i was taken by that suggestion but then realized it just devalues the single ball. more balls will paradoxically make it more boring because any single ball is meaningless

what if the additional balls only count for half a point

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

my solution for golf is that as it stands, its all offense and no defense. I propose that when you're first teeing off or whatever for those long shots, the other dudes are along the green with shotguns and can shoot at your ball like it was a clay bird.

croquet rules on the green

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

instead of playing through the course linearly, each hole our unlocks two other random holes, first to hole out each captures it and the winner is whoever captures the most holes

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Roosevelt posted:

the correct answer is A

what makes you think the tied up people aren't rapidly moving toward a stationary trolley

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

man that was an effective nerd snipe

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

today on elderly plutocrats legislating technology...

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

Okay but if I stick my dick thru the portal will the trolley suck me off

Let's stick to the important questions gang

well in that scenario we have to redo all the math because quantum mechanics apply

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

oh if you think it's small now just wait till I'm finished

way to invent another unsolvable problem :argh:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

ban this sick filth

i agree, foldable phones are depraved

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

did you just call them a rectangle

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson should move there

he could be the neighborhood mascot, like mickey mouse walking around disneyland

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

old brains are good, old bodies are loving terrible

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rjmccall posted:

how do the frogs eat and breathe, and other science facts

repeat to yourself “it’s just a tweet, i should really just relax”

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

this is how us english sounds to me too tbh

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

the gayest hobbit posted:

In this country,first you get the mosquitoes, then you get the power,THEN you get the woman

lmao

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

dpkg chopra posted:

when they break the manufacturer blames it on a driver error

:rackem:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

search the scriptures moron

[squints] oh, sorry, moreton

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

if you wanna make a cake you gotta crack a few fears

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

every microservice returns one html page.

lol if any given html page is rendered by just one service

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

don’t forget to have a service get some html inside a json payload from another service and merge it into its output

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

the result field is actually an array, but it only ever has one item. you know, for future extensibility

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Doom Mathematic posted:

You really want to get up to 1000 microservices (1 milliservice).

yeah that’s when they start working, like fry having his 100th cup of coffee

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

mebibytes is just what i call bytes that may or may not exist

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

smh who let my code on a basketball team

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

kenny was prescient

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

$$ ⭐️ • TOP SPENDER • SUBMISSIVE

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

can't knock it, this is the most pro-worker thing he'll ever do

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

haveblue posted:

also why did he use his real name

you must be mistaking george santos for a not-idiot

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

that's inflation for ya

(joke courtesy of mrs undead)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

gently caress i better start training

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

good to see we're getting back to the kind of medical advice folks enjoyed in the victorian era

ah, coughing blood and fainting, are we? what you need is a nice summer abroad!

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

jopants.com posted:

Do you ship discreetly?

The regular way we ship is in a black plastic bag with the JO logo on it. On the mailing label it says JOpants on the return address.

Inside the bag, the pants have an internal label that says JOpants. There will also be a packing slip letter with the product(s) you ordered on it.

Most people don't associate the letters JO with jacking off, but if this is still not discreet enough for you, please write the word "discreet" in the special order instructions at the bottom of your shopping cart before checkout or just email us. We will make it completely discreet with no JO letters anywhere, except for the internal label on the pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

the postman hands you your clearly labeled "JO" package with a wink. your neighbors stand on their porches, stealing glances at you and snickering. you're the jackoff man now