Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ground floor

had a good first day of the year - going with the wife to her parents', big old Japanese osechi meal for lunch, and continuing to stomp all over her brother in Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Probably going to get up super early because Oregon's bowl game starts at 6 am local time here.

so that'll be make for a fun Sunday morning.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Speaking of Rona we had 1 caught by a cleaner working at a quarantine hotel.

Whole city is going into 3 day lockdown. Mandatory masks outside the home from 6pm today.

Im kinda torn. I had a huge weekend planned including a date and picking up my rifle and fishing and seeing family. Now I get to stay home alone. But at least if theres more cases out there we can stop the infection almost immediately.

man the reaction in Australia is really something to see. It still feels weird to see friends in Sydney or Melbourne without masks on doing...normal...things, or to hear about life as usual there, or see sports filled up with spectators. and I know it's been different depending on states, but they've taken it as seriously as I'd hoped the U.S. would have.

meanwhile there's a new state of emergency for Tokyo and the surrounding area that means people should work from home, restaurants should close by 8 pm, and events will be restricted in capacity and until 8 pm. This as Tokyo shot over 2,400 new cases (with a ridiculously high positive rate from tests) and Japan over 7,000 for the first time.

and waking up to an attempted autogolpe yesterday was certainly a hell of a thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Im happy the response is mostly positive as in "let's beat this poo poo" with a few lone nutters whinging about govt control but the general response all over social media seems to be "shut up oval office".

I’m so glad it’s such a strong response, even in the state that is Australia’s Florida.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Doesn’t seem particularly different than other social media apps, but what do I know.

but you see the servers are in China and the company is connected to the *whispers* Chinese Communist Party

yeah on the grand scheme of things it's not much worse than American corporations but it certainly causes a few flinches

[edit]

a neat cape posted:

I'm still really loving mad about yesterday.

you should be!!!!! there was an attempted autogolpe urged on by the President of the United States and provided us the clearest example of white privilege imaginable! and if you think that's the last time we'll see this poo poo in the U.S. this year then it sounds like I can sell you some beach-front property in Idaho.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 8, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

saw some post via Instagram that made the comment: the supposed TikTok teens making the point that all of our elected Congresspeople know how it feels to be in an active shooter / school shooting situation.

which...yeah, considering most elected officials would be in their mid-30s at the youngest, that absolutely tracks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wish me luck, send Ts & Ps, slaughter a goat, whatever, I have my final interview for that dream job today. Super loving nervous.

break a leg, duder

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/bensiegel/status/1347611132727586816?s=20

They mounted a gallows in front of the capitol. Lynching is literally what would have happened to you if your personal security team wasn't much, much better at their job than the capitol police.

this is my representative and there was an attempt to primary him (which I couldn't help because overseas), but alas.

he's the most center/right-leaning of the Oregon elected Dems (the district that encompasses like all of Eastern Oregon and the rural parts is the solid R seat) and deserves to get run out the paint but, welp, we saw how good the DCCC was at defending safe seats and opposing primary attempts last time :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Chris Hayes made asked a good question: did they ban him in response to a tweet he was trying to make?

I feel like somebody here asked the same thing, I can imagine they'd put Trump on the proverbial seven-second live dump after Wednesday. But that blog post has enough of a case that what was already posted broke the rules that we might not know.

also Fiz, did you finish Hades or did you finish Hades?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Uh I got out a couple times.

I'd at least stick around to credits, if you haven't already.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

how many times do i have to beat it?

also i haven't hosed anyone yet

it's about 10 clears to get to credits, and then that opens up more of the story and getting to the epilogue. also, to loving people, if you desire

the wife and I have been playing Mario Kart 8 recently and she asked if there was any other sports Mario games, like tennis. So I picked that up as well and it'll either strengthen our bond or ruin our marriage; there's no in-between.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I have autoplay on now and I've watched the unemployedwineguy drink a poo poo ton of lovely alcohol that I've actually had and his level of disgust for those is palpably less than it was for the Malort.

checking out what else he's reviewed...okay, he's covered some of the primary awful alcohol classifications: Mad Dog, Thunderbird, OE and Mickey's both.

gonna have to watch some of these then and re-live college memories I don't have :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

who else has been to China and had average-quality baiju, that poo poo is wicked white lightning

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Birthday weekend continues! Today's my birthday, I'll be at my parents' watching the Bears game with them so probably won't be in the GDT much if at all.

For my birthday, I'd at least like the Bears to make a respectable showing, if not win and make a decent run. But all things considered that could be a tall order.

I'd also like for my mom's cancer to finally be gone for good. She went through chemo for her third time this past summer which went well, but now her CA125 cell count is back up over 300 (normal, healthy level is in the 20s). So it seems to be coming back again :smith:

oooof. I hope your mom comes out of it well, that one hits close to home :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

woke up with some new letters besides my name

Hell yeah congrats

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

people getting new jobs and married, the wife and I started home searching with a real estate agency here today :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

everyone makes home buying out to be super stressful

my advice is try to have fun with it!

yeah but 日本語で and being a foreigner without the green card equivalent (yet, and not in time to help at this point).

if anybody is interested (especially for the differences to American home buying) I've had at least one friend tell me to blog about this stuff, so I'll write up and probably link that here as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I would love to see price/size comparisons to major US markets.

Also, are you looking in a major city or out in the sticks?

we're looking in the residential areas of the Tokyo blob. Trying to keep my wife's commute into the center of the city to about 35 minutes by train, while staying on train lines that aren't rear end for my commute. Likely looking for buying apartments (hopefully less than 20 years old) or used homes less than five years old (or possibly built on spec).

Looking at places ranging from 900-1000 square feet considering we're not going to The True Suburbs, and budget about $500,000 at max.

But note that mortgage interest rates are stupid low in Japan (a 'worst case' we were quoted was 3%, it'll likely be 1-2% for 35 year) and even paying for that will be less than rent. It's the qualifying for a loan that trips up so many people.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh yeah parking was another thing. It’s $25/month for parking, but I dont have my own space. It’s a secured covered deck but cmon.

a couple of the apartments we've looked at have parking over $200/month. Living in the city! :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

If anyone didnt see this...

https://twitter.com/KimMangone/status/1352076682505580545?s=20

...this is how they're ending student loan repayments. As of right now, i'll be going about 18 months without incurring interest or having to pay anything back. I didn't have to pay anything back until June (graduated in december) but that stands for anyone that had outstanding student loans.

Neither political party is going to want to be the ones that restart them; that'd be political suicide.

This avoids any potential blowback from poo poo heads who are up in arms about "well I paid MINE back" or the assholes who think debt is some sacred tradition that must always be respected.

Republicans can't say anything because they're the ones that technically started it.

It's a very washington dems solution to a problem.

so far it's only until September 30, but that's likely a financial year thing.

...but if this is how they do it...and I never have to pay another dime...and nobody else does...I'm not going to argue.

also pretty sure I stress woke up early this morning because the inauguration was like 1 am over here and I couldn't stay up to watch but I needed to know nothing happened.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They’ve already been on hold for drat near a year already.

The other question is how exactly to re-structure the cost of college for new students coming in, because doing it this way helps with existing loans but ain’t a long-term solution.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the Pfizer shot is on track to be approved over here next month, the Moderna one is going to be trialed soon, and the Japanese government also has a deal for the AstraZeneca jab, so it's just a matter of when. I'm hopeful that the good ol' Japanese "twice as long to measure, half as long to cut" thing means they won't lose too much time, and I do trust that they'll have things organized well, but gently caress me if they're leaving it late.

especially considering that whole Olympics thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

My favorite is the rich rear end in a top hat British expats living on like the Mediterranean coast and poo poo realizing they have to move back to their rainy rear end island after voting for Brexit with absentee ballots.

Oh yeah. For as much as I loved The Who as a high schooler, seeing Roger Daltrey hoisted by his own petard and saying “well we didn’t want to tour there anyhow” about mainland Europe is funny as gently caress.

Any guesses as to when the next election in the UK could be if the Tories continue to gently caress this up so badly?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's what, five years or until the ruling party thinks they'll win, whichever is first? Five years from the last election.

Yep, last one that was scheduled was December 2019.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

"nor does it appear he took any meaningful steps" was this intentional?

:vince:

doesn't shock me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Geeez :smith: RIP to an absolute legend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This Reddit pumping GameStop thing is the funniest thing to happen in a while, it’s amazing watching so many finance dorks melt down.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

there's whispers of hedge funds needing a bailout which lmao

This suggests similar

https://twitter.com/mrsmcglover/status/1354252534534205440

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even better

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1354437911131934723

Can we basically say they just Goonswarmed a specific stock or these specific hedge funds, because that’s what it really sounds like they’ve done.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guze posted:

They're burning hedge funds to the ground as a joke.

Lol

Look at what else they’re throwing money at, it’s counter-loving the vulture capital that gutted retail for a quick buck. It’s a beautiful thing while it lasts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Honestly, I didn't even realize he was anywhere close to Bezos. I know his net worth is mostly tied up in Tesla being way over priced though.

over-valued, and I would largely agree. they have so much of their cash flow turned over in things "not making and selling cars" that it's hard to take their value seriously.

for funsies this evening because my brain wandered over to it, I downloaded GameStop's 2020 10k to try and see what the real details are. hope you have a better Friday than me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

This is the right take for the GameStop / Robinhood business, imo

https://twitter.com/aaronhuertas/status/1355153781063905281

"if you didn't know what a gamma squeeze was 48 hours ago, you are [WSB's] exit strategy and the down payment on their next Porsche"

dead rear end accurate

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Now it's all shiny

hell yeah buddy. what powertrain?

Bird in a Blender posted:

He stopped to work on a Godzilla movie. So the latest one was put on hold.

and then 'rona happened so what was supposed to be (I think?) a June 2020 release is now TBD. though ads have started popping up on Japanese TV and one of the broadcast channels just showed...not sure if it's the rebuild series of movies or another re-cut, but they were highlighting those as the Friday night movie the last few weeks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

What’s everyone doing today

my brother is coming over to help me replace the fuel pump on my lovely old Ranger

we already did the ignition coil, starter and battery last weekend. hopefully this is the last problem.

need to finish dishes then going to bed (because it's 12:30 am over here)

Sunday is likely to be lazy, mercifully. probably try to go for a run too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

it's me, I've lived outside of the U.S. long enough to have lost bearings on what fahrenheit temperatures are really referring to. 0 freezing, 30 too hot, 20 just about right, it's not hard to learn you guys.

it tried snowing in Tokyo last week but we're too low elevation/close to the water to get anything more than sputters of flakes. and because of COVID this year I'm probably not getting a chance to go skiing. Booooooo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

a neat cape posted:

metric is better than imperial but i will never give up fahrenheit. celsius is loving stupid

you really should, the granularity of Fahrenheit is overrated. and for places where it matters (like setting an air conditioner/heater) they usually let you go in half-degrees, so.

even the loving fail-rear end Brits use Celsius now, we're literally the only hold-outs and it's from pure boomer stubbornness.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Yeah, fahrenheit is great for weather.

100 = hot
69 = nice
32 = pretty drat cold
0 = oh gently caress

40 = hot
20 = nice
10 = chilly
0 = watch for snow

Not gonna keep badgering on it but it’s not so different or difficult, with the advantage of being used by literally every other country.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Abugadu posted:

I binged Dirk Gently season 1 yesterday on Hulu, some great stuff in there. Wish Douglas Adams had lived longer to write more.

I recently re-read the first two Hitchhiker's Guide books (and got started with the third before realizing I'd probably need a break) and man, yeah. hard to imagine so much of what was envisioned in these was from the late 1970s and early 1980s.

oh this is good

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

swickles posted:

That is one book I should probably reread. I read it in high school and then again about ten years ago, each time taking something new from it so I can only imagine what I would glean from it this go around.

that was part of why I re-read it recently - the last and only time I had was as a freshman in college, and I'd ripped through the full four or five books in the collection in probably a week or so. and besides how much just seeps into nerd culture, I wanted to try and see what I catch now a decade-plus down the line. Turns out, a lot of the British references :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

swickles posted:

Speaking of rereads, I reread Cryptonomicon like 2-3 years ago and realized that the idea of cryptocurrency has been around since at least the 80s. There is a lot in that book that is prescient about the modern landscape. Even the idea that fascism is never dead and will come around at any moment and the second you stop preparing against it is when it pops up stronger.

I mean, there was a ton of pop culture that railed against Regan and Thatcher and were seeing their rule turn fascistic even then.

it took us a while to fully get to that :coolzone: but we got there in the end :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I meant because they kept referring to how disappointing they found AOC.

I'm not exactly happy with every move she's made recently but

*receives note at podium*

oh y'all talking about a Musou game? gently caress 'em.

--

one of the first things I saw this morning was the NCAA EA Sports College Football news, which is very good news that improved on a weird/bad day yesterday.

I was happy/sad/heartened to read everyone's "how we doin' in the pandemic" posts earlier, very late to the party but we're doing about as well as possible. Two people working full time from a 700 sq ft two-ish bedroom apartment isn't great, but we're getting through it, and my job has gotten a lot better since changing departments from September.

we're trying to have a baby, we're trying to look for a place to buy, my wife wants to change her job, I'm going to get my poo poo together to apply for the Japanese equivalent of a green card (which should help with that 'buying housing' part), and I'm trying to go run more regularly to stay in shape.

but on the other hand, it's tough and I'm missing family. the last time I saw any of my family in person was...end of September 2019, when my sister left after visiting. last time I saw my dad was early that same month when my mom passed away. I really wanted to get to visit last year, but, well...not really a smart idea. I'm really glad the missus and I did a decent amount of traveling in 2019, I just hope we can do something like that again sooner than later.