Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

The old airship/ship mod where it converted big groups of blocks into vehicles worked really well most of the time. It just had a tendency to desync in multiplayer and corrupt chunks. Fun to see if they've been able to fix that problem.

Lmao oh man that brings back memories. I had a world featured in Yoggscast back in the 1.2.5 days, one of the first iterations of Technic IIRC, and I built a sweet airship. They even flew it around in the video and it worked great. I then made the mistake of trying to build an elevator-airship in my base, and also running control conduit through the elevator shaft. The elevator mod did not play nicely with RedPower conduits and slab covers etc, nuked that chunk right in the middle of my base. Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:stare:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Pretty sure anyone old enough to still be posting in a Minecraft thread on SA bought the game in alpha

Yo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm finally delving into Create after eyeing it for quite a while and boy there is a lot here. Are there any tutorial videos that are up to date? I've found one set, but the recipes have changed since. It's still helpful for the basics, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

You can get the gist of what most of the pieces do by holding the "ponder" key for a second while hovering over them in JEI/EMI/whatever. Recipes will likely vary significantly based on whether you're playing vanilla or with a modpack, but the only significant recipe change to vanilla in recent memory is the furnace flywheel thingy being removed and replaced with the steam engine. I'd also recommend dicking around in creative mode for a while to get the basics down pat, or anytime you want to try out a reasonably complicated new build.

Yeah the ponder tutorial menu is, frankly, amazing as hell. Had such a thing existed back in the day it would have saved me many a googling of IC2 or RP2 mechanics, assuming they would have bothered to do something similar.

So far the only thing I've had to bust out some cheaty/creative stuff for was getting the arboreal extractor (C:A&B) to work so I could start producing rubber for sweet, sweet belts.

I haven't even begun to touch the fancy machines, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My humble factory is coming along. Belt drives are pretty rad, y'all. :3:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does Create have a method to trigger redstone off of a belt's contents or loaded/empty status?

I have babby's first cobble generator -> millstone -> gravel washer for iron nugget generation, but the single cobble drill overloads the millstone and spills loose cobble all over my floor. I want to wire the millstone feed belt to a clutch on the drill to turn it off/on automatically.

God only knows when I'll tech up to assemblers and crushing wheels, so stopgap solution it is. I also have no idea what to do with the 'waste' flint this setup generates.

E: Classic 'ask and then you find the answer'. The Content Observer. I kept looking for belt doodads.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 10, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Speed up your millstone? Slow down the belt that leads into it? Probably easier than trying to rig an on/off switch. Or just push the cobble into a chest above a chute that leads into the millstone so you're not direct-feeding the millstone from the cobblegen?

Sadly its all a bunch of compromises. I like the sleek-ish look of my machine at the moment, and changing gear ratios to speed up the millstone would make it ugly as hell, or require rejiggering a few bits and adding a basement portion to secret away a set of big cogs. Adding a chest to buffer the cobble before the millstone would just delay the problem, it would fill eventually and lead to cobble covering my floor again. Same with slowing the belt, that'll just make it start spewing cobble even earlier. Turns out, once I figured out what the Content Observer was called, redstoning it up was pretty easy.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 10, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

What kind of machoistic sadistic author makes it so if power is interrupted or low it just destroys everything that enters it?

The OG BetterThanWolves guy?

Sounds like the kind of dumb stuff that example would do, anyway.

Oh and there would be a gimp EOD suit to survive the explosion.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Is there a way to check which ores can do that? I've never played any of these kinds of modpacks before, so this is all new to me.

I assume the pack has JEI or the like, in which case press "u' when mousing over the item to see what it is used for.

This will open a window that should have tabs across the top for the various methods of consumption/machines, click one of those e.g. furnace to see what recipes it has with that method, and so on.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What lights do you guys like to use to keep monsters from spawning in your cavernous factory facilities?

I'm on Create: A&B specifically and have tabbed through JEI to take a look, and i appear to have options beyond a forest of torches, just curious.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I love how my create factories follow a similar pattern to my Factorio setups. The first bit looks nice (eg a loop grinding sky stone into dust) but as I finish a module (turning that dust into sky solution and then liquid Redstone) I find I didn't allow myself enough room and I'm trying to spaghetti and squeeze poo poo into the space I alloted cause I stubbornly don't want to move the first bit or I'm hard up against my multi block water tank or something.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Until you put on too much redstone and now your pick is a weapon of mass destruction you have to hide before you return to your base.

The ole "I want to mine this one diamond and not the stone behind it blocking the lava oh no I am on fire" pickle

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

samcarsten posted:

I play solo, so i just reloaded a backup.

Spoilsport

Back in the days of Tekkit when I built my first ever IC2 nuke I backed my base up then blew it up just to see what happened. It kicked rear end. Then I reloaded.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, and some really big ones too.

What in the hell is that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's pretty cool

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You can in fact have a big power "bus" in Create. Think the old school pre electricity factories that had mechanical power, with shafts running across the ceiling and belts transferring power down to machines. Exact same idea.

I think the only requirement is that multiple power inputs be at the same RPM.

So for my factory I have multiple windmills on the roof feeding (through a couple big small gear combos to up the RPM) a single belt that drops down vertically and then splits off a branch belt along the ceiling of each floor, which then branches again to feed machines. I add clutches to turn individual machine groups on/off so I stave off the need for more windmills, for now.

These video tutorials helped me out a lot starting out or when I got stuck. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtYeIGFxKzeQ4OKQv3uSnW9mBTnCdcfne though I don't think he had any power system overview videos like you are looking for.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Create is, like:

Me reaping laying out my machine: ha ha yes!

Me sowing running mechanical power to all the bits, and routing inputs and outputs: what the fuuuuck

I love it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does Minecraft play funky with HFR monitors?

I moved and in doing so upgraded from a 60hz ultrawide to a 1440 144hz monitor, that's the only thing that's changed about my setup. But when I fired up my Create A&B save to get back into it, I'm getting a stable and consistent....13fps. Mucking around with settings hasn't changed much, can anyone point me at some troubleshooting resources?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

In terms of long-dead mods, I miss Astral Sorcery, Thaumcraft, and the Betweenlands. Had some really good times with those.

I really liked RedPower2 and using it's braided cable and "gates in a block" stuff to wire up some ridiculous stuff that would have been beyond me to do with pure redstone.

From perusing NEI in my current pack it looks like it lives on in one way or another but I haven't delved into it much yet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

and its worldgen volcanos

Man I forgot about those. Stop making me want to play Tekkit on, like, 1.2.5

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Channels suck, unfortunately, and trying to balance them is just not worth the time or effort and still probably would break eventually. If you're using TC smelteries as your primary ore refinery then you want to either use something like redstone clocks to trigger outputs directly into tables for bars or if you have something like fluiducts just pipe it out directly into casting.

Yeah as much as I love the thought and imagery of a bunch of channels flowing out to casting tables ala so many media presentations of industrial metal casting, they're such a pain in the ads to make work.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I like the idea of GT:NH but a lot of it sounds like a supreme hassle, beginning with the altered vanilla recipes. So far I've been enjoying the the Threefold run on YouTube, thanks for linking that earlier!

In the meantime I continue to assemble belt driven monstrosities in my Create: A&B run.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

If you've having trouble with dense belts networks, or vertical movement, don't forget the drawer controllers or sophisticated storage controllers, which you can use to let a given chest be in effectively two places at once (up to 16 blocks for Sophisticated, not sure on Functional)

Well that's certainly handy, thank you!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

If you need it to be in more than two places, Functional Storage has "storage controller extensions" but they're like. radiant or plastic machine tier, IIRC, so a lot more of a pain to get than the basic controllers for Sophisticated Storage and Functional Storage. You can of course link multiple chests to one Sophisticated Storage controller but that's more useful for sending several inputs to the same place when dealing with belt networks, I think getting it to sort stuff to specific locations is more suited to the drawers.

And before you get clever and set up a bunch of Sophisticated Storage chests with a controller and a Tinkers crafting station next to the controller, the crafting station has trouble seeing anything in the Sophisticated chest network that's stacked up more than usual with a stack upgrade, annoyingly. But it can find them if you have enough in your inventory to craft the thing and then you shift-click the recipe add button in JEI and now it's got full stacks of all ingredients. :shrug: Pointing an Applied Energistics external storage bus thingy at the controller works fine, though. (I mean, aside from the powering-it problems I had, we need to reorganize a lot on my server.)

I'm just gonna nod along like half of that made sense aaaand go Google some mod wikis.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

Have you ever wanted to pipe/hopper/whatever items into or out of more than one chest at a time? That's what the controllers do. Make one and a linking tool and fiddle with it.

I shall absolutely look into it, so far I've hardly dabbled with basic tier storage drawers. Thanks for the pointers

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

Stack Upgrades, specifically, let you put more of an item in one slot, and the first level is a basic blank upgrade plus 8 logs so it's pretty easy to use them for basic storage.

Well poo poo that blew my mind.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well I caved and started GTNH, god help me. I'm a couple weeks in at a couple hours a day, just stood up my first bbf (which took most of Sunday) and have a modest array of steam machines fed by two high pressure solar boilers. My main set back was finding some diamonds for the macerators but finally I found some.

So many projects (more farms! Progress the quests! Go get more resources! Prospect! Plant all those oreberries! Move your interim storage down to the new machine room! Make the bouse prettier! Go to the nether? Do whatever i need to do for the toolforge so i can get the hammer and lumberaxe!) to do and so little time. Adulting doesn't quite mesh with the time required but hey it's a good time so far. A current conundrum is whether to drop the iron on a rc tank to hold my creosote, I'm hard pressed to use enough as furnace fuel and for torch crafting to keep my coke ovens going. I'm too stubborn to break the ovens and void that juice.

Are there any low tech furnaces I can plumb up to the ovens so I don't have to do a bucket dance to use creosote?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll take that under advisement with the oreberries. I'm already using coal coke blocks in my bbf, but great to know I don't need to waste steel on my pickaxe to get obsidian. Looks like I'll just suck it up and void that creosote, oh well.

I do have keepinventory on, I just can't stand it otherwise. Griefing is on, for now. The first time some hosed up special creeper ruins my day I'll probably reconsider that. And yeah, I'm not at all afraid to cheat myself a thing or two to save a headache.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I will say I am very thankful for the crafting station and worktable. Without the worktable I probably would have noped out of the pack when crafting up the grout for my smeltery, let alone the cement for the bbf.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm suffering occasional stutter/hangs in GTNH myself, they can be as much as 5ish seconds long. They happen randomly and don't seem tied to any specific dimensions or actions, though closing out and suffering the initial load times again does allievate it for a time. (It was worst when I ran the game for a week and just exited to the main menu and put my computer to sleep)

Current version on curseforge.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Devor posted:

How much memory do you have allocated? That sounds like it may be java garbage cleanup, which gets worse as the memory allocation gets higher. 8GB of RAM tends to be a sweet spot.

Unchanged from default, which appears to be 8gb based on the memory bar during the loading screen. I was wondering if turning it higher would have any effect since I sprang for 64gb lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Sounds like it might be disk i/o related. Is your drive full? Is it an SSD or old style spinning rust HDD?

Could also press F3 to open debug info, take a screenshot, and post it here.

If you're technically inclined, I'd recommend switching to a java9+ version of the pack with Prism Launcher. You'll need to get and install a modern Java version (I like Adoptium's JREs), but doing so will allow you to allocate more than 8gb RAM without it being counterproductive. Better Java garbage collection too, which is the usual culprit for microstutters.

http://downloads.gtnewhorizons.com/Multi_mc_downloads/

The curseforge version is stuck with Java8.

Well looks like i know what I'm doing next time I get on

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GTNH newbie report: thanks to previous tips I realized that one of the quests leading up to the nether awarded enough obsidian to both make a minimum portal frame and grind up into enough alumite for a tool forge, so I secured a bronze/steel hammer, then strip mined a few veins to build a second BBF. The steel requirements for LV are up there I tell ya. The demands for steel are so high and thy smelting time so long that I don't see moving to steel tool heads for quite some time, bronze will do.

I am now up to a small spread of LV machines: basic Wiremill, Bending Machine, Assember, and Fluid Extractor, all powered by the single steam turbine you craft to get into the LV quests. I made a small batch of circuits of which I have 6 left so I'm thinking next will be a Distiller so I can do slimeball->extract to glue->distill to refined glue which will open some basic assembler recipes for easier LV circuit components, based on some NEI diving.

Not totally sure where to go after that, maybe the mixer or the simple ore washer because I am so over tossing poo poo into a cauldron. Maybe the twilight forest? More nether forays? That place is dangerous.

I'm up to three HP solar boilers and one low pressure feeding an iron RC tank of steam, so far my power needs are met for the time being. Through more turbines are on the horizon soon I am sure.

I was eyeing the basic miner but I bet the steel investment for mining pipe is a roadblock at the moment, and I don't have a good method of powering it remotely as yet.

I did stumble upon a mica deposit so I know that eventual quests is covered.

Oh and I saved up like 10 LV lootbags to gacha all at once and hoo boy was it a disappointing pile of garbage outside of a golden lasso.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 26, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fortunately I do know about throwing stacks into the cauldron, I just hate the drudgery of random stacks not throwing as far and falling short, forgetting to lock my mining backpack so I have to fish them out to throw again, etc.

Good tip about the centrifuge! I've been mass logging rubber trees for the resin and steam extracting the wood for raw rubber for my rubber needs, but that doesn't result in much resin. I did luck into some slime saplings so I just started farming those, hopefully easing my resin crunch.

One of these days I'll brave the deep caves and actually find a lava pool so I have any obsidian to my name but so far all I've had is from that quest reward lol. Luckily I found a couple obsidian bindings in a village tinkerer hut so my tools don't suck but yeah.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GTNH: Talk to me about cable loss:

Let's say I have a LV bus bar of 4 steam turbines, spaced 1 block apart, all facing and feeding a 7-long 4x copper cable with -2eu/m.

If, for example, I have a machine tied onto that cable across from a turbine such that the energy path is one block, does it get hit with 1 tile of loss? All 7? Is the energy generation and delivery simulation so detailed that a machine making a demand does pathdinding over the cable and finds the closest turbine with free capacity?

Direct feeding every machine with a dedicated turbine is beyond my resources at the moment so I'm thinking of a way to power a decent spread of machines that is a balance between material investment and energy loss.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm sure it's been said before but dang GTNH really does nail a sense of accomplished progression, even if it's so minimally incremental as "sweet I can make plates 2:3 now!" Or "screws 1:4!" Or "pipes without burning wrench and hammer durability!" Or "haha gently caress off fiddly rotor recipe, I'll just extrude you now"

I was excited to tab trough NEI and realize a cutting machine would double my casing yield thus make circuits that much less of a drain on my steel, of all things.

I went from struggling to craft a pair of circuits for another machine to making 48 circuits just to have a stockpile!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Loot bags are such a tease. I finally broke into MV so I converted my stash of LV bags into 6 MV bags and rolled the dice.

8 apples, twice. Rubber tree sapling. 4 wooden pressure plates. :negative:

But it turned around on the last three: 8 diodes, an elevator (completing the quest and netting me a 2nd, hello vertical base), and 8 Damascus steel.

Checked out the steel, 5x handle durability multiplier!!! Immediately chucked it into the smeltry...nothing. Ah poo poo okay let's check nei...MV extractor. poo poo, I have more pressing needs than that for my bare stash of MV circuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do you mean MV extruder? If so, then no, you don't have anything better to do with your MV circuits than that... except maybe an LV circuit assembler. The MV extruder is AMAZING.

Whoops, yeah. Damned keyboard.

But yeah I was thinking my approach would be: mv steam turbine, mv electrolyzer, then then extruder and/or circuit assembler. Which I think I can just barely scrape the resources together for. If the extruder is just that good I might bump it up.