Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Inzombiac posted:

I would be totally fine if my job was "drive around the city doing meaningless bullshit" so long as it's easy and not degrading.

I like driving, don't mind traffic and would be fine if it wasn't getting in the way of an office portion of the job.
Maybe short haul trucking? gently caress, I dunno but being an office drone sucks poo poo.

Have you considered working for Conrad’s? It’s literally moving tires around your city from one store to another, to make numbers look better.

I’m soon returning to my old job, but now as an office drone. It’s a very schizophrenic place. They really want to keep the workers happy, but they pay them poo poo. They do stuff like run around with a popsicle cart on a hot day, or buy everyone in the company smoothies. Then they act confused when the $10/hr workers don’t show up half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I work in vending repair, so the coffee is free, but sometimes unavailable because they’re using the machine to test a part. For some reason, our machine only does 8oz cups while the one in the display area does 12oz. It’s not like you can’t push the button a second time, but I always kind of felt it was a bit of a snub, because the display room is right next to the front office. So even though the coffee is free, the office workers get more per button push.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
IT guy: Look at this awesome freeware I found! We can totally automate *task* with this!
Me: Uh, you don’t want to automate that. Your system is so janky everyone has put customer notes in random fields. If you automate that, we’ll miss important notes like “Never ship to this guy, give it to the driver to bring” or “Customer doesn’t want it if it costs more than $80 to fix”.
It guy: But think of all the time you’ll save!
Me: If it worked, maybe 45 minutes, but-
IT guy: But it’s so cool! It can even make mouse clicks for you!
Me: But we’ll totally piss off half the customers.
IT guy: This is great!
Me: Can I go back to actual work now?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Scientastic posted:

I don’t understand why American businesses are so opposed to time off. All the evidence shows that people are more productive when they take holiday time, not less.

Part of me thinks it’s to create a culture where employees are so cowed and oppressed by their employers that they develop Stockholm syndrome.

At least at my company, there is no backup whatsoever for many tasks. If someone calls off sick or takes vacation, the work just doesn’t get done. They can’t afford that.

They refuse to learn from experience as well. Our lead billing person for the entire company quit unexpectedly. It’s still causing clusterfucks every day that make us look hilariously unprofessional. Are they going to have more people learn to cover the lead billing tasks? No, they don’t have time to do that, and there’s no one to do their tasks if they stopped to train anyway.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

zedprime posted:

Hiring people is legit hard and we've solved it the same way we solve every other hard problem: pay consultants for their ideas so when they don't work there is someone to blame.

My company has a consultant to tell them what to pay everyone . It came up multiple times when I was trying to get our department to raise wages so we’d stop hemorrhaging people. The HR guy was even like “well if you want to go get a master’s degree in economics, go ahead”. A month later, we have 7 open job slots in a department that has 15 people total. All of a sudden, everyone gets a dollar an hour raise! Imagine that.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I got my garbage can confiscated at work once. I work at a place that builds vending machines, including coffee ones. Turns out the overflow buckets that catch all the drips are just cheap plastic trash cans. They have to be a particular size and shape, of course. Our company buys them by the thousands, so they’re also in all the offices.

One week they got a shipment of the wrong kind of bins in, but they had some orders that absolutely had to go out that day. So the coffee team ran around to every office and stole every trash can they could find. They power washed them, stuck ‘em in the machines, and hoped no customer complained. As far as I know, they got away with it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I got my review today. The boss proudly told me that the range for the department was 0-3 percent, but I was so good they’re going to give me 4. You stupid fucks, you pay me $16/hr. No paperwork gets done without me. I’m the only person in this place who can take a unit all the way from coming in with the driver, checking it in, fixing it, QAing it, billing it, and sending it out the door. I built a customized arduino device to speed up data entry. I know at least one customer has written the big boss saying I was an asset to the company. You literally had my only possible replacement quit without notice two weeks ago. And I’m supposed to be excited that I get a 64 cent an hour raise?! I like this place, I like my coworkers, but you’re giving me at least a dollar fifty or I am walking the hell out that door. Jesus, how out of touch with reality are you?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I don’t have a dick :(

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Mantle posted:

This looks like a path to a computer touching career to me

I actually have an A+, but it isn’t really related to secretarial work. The good news is that not only did my boss say he’s got my back, but he actually talked to HR on my behalf already. The issue is supposedly in committee, but we’ll see. The dumb part is that this place really tries to be good to employees, but they keep comparing wages with industry standards for manufacturing, even though my entire department doesn’t manufacture - we repair. Then they stupidly pay an outside consultant to set general wages, and even if they mean well, it ends up making everyone unhappy.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I got my desired 1.50, and an apology for the initial lowball offer.. I should have gone for more but I can hang on to this job while I look for another. I’m kind of stunned at how quickly they went from raises being 4 percent max to oh poo poo we need you don’t go away. Thanks everyone for the moral support. It let me know that I wasn’t crazy in being offended by that offer.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I’m pissed because it’s hard to find a session beer in any of the supermarket stuff these days. Look, I’m a lightweight, but that doesn’t mean I want Miller light. Just keep one or two things that you bottle under 4 percent, and then I can actually drink it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My workplace has a point system, and I’ve been magically excluded for at least a year. I have probably shown up “late” 50 times for every time I have been “on time”. It’s usually by 5 minutes and I make sure I work at least 8 hours, but it’s more than 1 minute, so I’m supposed to get points. But I’m white, and know terms like “protected class”, so I’ve never gotten so much as a warning.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My boss’s boss just showed me the metrics of everyone in the department. And went over and commented on them one by one. I realize I’m not a typical secretary, but I feel like it was really inappropriate. I’d bitch to HR but they hate me, and would probably say I’m overreacting. Am I? It’s months of data on how many repairs every tech does…. Which is stupid because everyone does different units, but whatever. Just seems wrong and creepy to me.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Nothing like a full staff meeting first thing in the morning, to announce “We don’t know any more than what was on the news, but we do know he’s currently in custody.”

(Co-worker hit a fireman with his car, killing him. He then ran away. I always knew he was a stupid gently caress, but I didn’t think he was as stupid as that.)

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I don't see it as humiliating but when I'm asked to do those trainings or meetings, I definitely ask how it has anything to do with my particular job/role. Similar to when I worked a corporate IT job a little more than a decade ago, when people would see me walking around or come to my desk to tell me the vending machine was broken or some other dumb poo poo that had zero to do with my job. There's a tag on the machine & we have a facilities group for that, learn to loving read. Sometimes I wonder how these people managed to survive without someone/something telling them how to breathe 24/7.

I work in the vending industry. People will not read the actual sticker. They will search everywhere and then find our mark on the back, look up our number, and call us for a refund. If we’re lucky, they’ll understand we just made the machine, and have no idea who is operating it. Sometimes we’re not lucky :(

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Are there any of those “tests” that are actually valid or worth a drat? I had to do one recently on sexual harassment, and the drat video was an hour long. So I muted it, and checked back every five minutes to see if I was supposed to answer a question. I spent the time reading this very thread. Due to not watching the video, I got all three questions wrong. It didn’t care, just played a short summary of the section and moved on. Certainly never heard from HR about it or anything. The thing is, I do think freedom from sexual harassment is very important. But if you want me to watch a badly acted video for an hour that covers stuff I already know, I have 20 more important things to spend the time on.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Critical posted:

Nah I had to fight with them to get identity protection after we had a data breach, they're going to give negative fucks. I don't have the energy for that battle anyway.

I did hear later that the calls were getting spicy lately because people were starting to push back against her poo poo. This was my first call with the dept, she tried to test me immediately and lost. Maybe she'll learn something but I doubt it.

My old idiot boss actually offered to try to get me back in my old position, but she has the final say and is well aware of how small my workload was for months, zero chance she lets me move back after I made her show her rear end. I could use a couple weeks off anyway.

I’d also like to let you know that creating invoices is part of my job. Yesterday I found three old tickets I had filed incorrectly back in July, resulting in us not billing work worth about $700. My boss’s response? “Eh, bill them now anyways, and if they get mad, I’ll deal with them”. I love my boss. Yours should go gently caress themselves.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

boar guy posted:

some of you gotta remember that if you left where you work tomorrow they...wouldn't give a gently caress, the place wouldn't self destruct

someone else would get your job, you ain't special, lol

I am literally the only person who knows how to bill correctly in our department. There’s the person who taught me, who doesn’t know all the new rules, and someone I dump the easy stuff on when I’m desperate. Those are the only two people who even know some of my job. It’s not documented anywhere, and some rules actually contradict what is written. It wouldn’t shut down the business if I left, but my department would be screwed and have tons of upset customers.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I got too far the opposite direction. Big customer had the president of the company get a virus, which used his computer as a spambot. I get this crappy looking thing claiming to be share point related, so I forwarded it to IT. IT said it’s spam, they’ll block the whole domain. You know, the one used by every person in the customer company. Hope we never need to talk to them again.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Was talking with my boss about rushing a repair. I told him, “I will have to talk to Howard and see if it’s possible.” Suddenly my boss’s boss comes up behind us and says “Of course it’s possible, we just have to work hard enough!”. For some reason my internal filter failed, and I just blurted out: “Howard can’t poop components”. He kind of paused and said “That’s true”. Here’s hoping I don’t get fired over that.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Our HR guys will bring around popsicles on hot days because there’s no air conditioning in the warehouse. Except there’s air conditioning in our part. Still, free popsicles make me happy. They’re even the kind with two sticks.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker came by for a chat. Great topics today. The Irish had it worse than slaves in the US. Also there were black slaveowners too.
Can't wait for my next trip with him.

This is a stupid thing going around the net at the moment. Snopes has a good debunking of it, but it’s essentially trying to claim that indentured servitude is exactly the same as slavery, ignoring the limited time of indenture, the fact that indentured servants were not property, nor were any children they had, and the general less shittyness of the arrangements.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
So I’m in a weird situation, and not sure what to do about it. I’m now FMLA on Wednesdays, due to depression that has recently gotten worse. The problem is I need a full 40 hours a week to handle everything that gets thrown at me. I was barely staying afloat for a while by going in for 4 hours on Saturday mornings, but now working Saturdays has been discontinued and replaced by doing ten hour work days Monday through Thursday. I can’t really handle 10 hour days. I tend to be 10 minutes late in the morning as it is, and I’m pretty exhausted by 5pm. Am I being an rear end in a top hat by keeping this job? I hate not doing anything properly that I’m being paid for, and my boss is a nice guy who doesn’t deserve to be screwed over. Should I resign with time to train a replacement?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Alright, I figured it was the depression talking, but it’s hard to tell sometimes. Thanks guys.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Taking this opportunity to bitch about Netsuite again. God, why does the sales order system suck SO BADLY? Yeah, okay, if you’re running a mom and pop store the sales order system would be fine. But we’re running a repair shop where fixing 50 units for one customer is a weekly occurrence, and we can easily fix 600 units a week. And each unit averages 3 or 4 parts. And most of the customers are on one of 6 pricing plans that require changing prices. And you just can’t change the cost, no, you have to tell it the cost is custom each and every line. And you can’t copy and paste lines. You can tab between fields but hitting the down arrow in the cost field of line A will not bring you to the cost field of line B. It’s madness, pure madness. But the rest of the company uses it, so we have to use it too. It keeps me employed, but the insanity these systems generate is amazing.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Our company just rebranded, with new name and logo. It’s just “random name solutions” now. It’s so generic that they couldn’t even get the .com domain and had to go with the .co. They also didn’t mention the upcoming logo change before we ordered 48,000 stickers with the old one on it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I’m working every second of the day I’m not on break or lunch. 8.5 hour day with 30 for lunch and 25 for breaks means 7.5 hours, not counting when I answer the phone during break/lunch. It’s still not enough to do everything I need to, but we survive at least. Part of the problem is that I only work 4 days due to mental health issues, and they stopped opening up on Saturday when I used to be able to squeeze an extra four hours in. So stuff is miles behind in terms of backorders and warranty and send outs, but the daily stuff gets done most of the time. I gotta squeeze everything I can into the time I have, so I can’t really just stop and fiddle around on the internet for a while or anything.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I’m extremely jealous of the folks with admin access. I don’t have install privileges, and IT doesn’t want to support any shortcut software. My job is at least half data entry, often of the same item multiple times (thanks, netsuite). So I just said gently caress it and used an arduino kit for flight sims to make a thing with buttons that entered predefined strings. Of course Netsuite hates this, and occasionally decides to eat half the inputs and then delete the next line item, but it’s better than typing in 27 copies of the same thing.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Ravus Ursus posted:

Are you entering multiple lines on the same PO or something? Because there should be a copy precious button. Or you can try and get chrome to remember the days like it's a username so you can enter the first few characters then thumb down through the list?

Alternatively, figure out an csv upload maybe? I don't do that but I know operations and AR do it.

Sadly it’s a much more complicated mess than copy previous can deal with. We scan units into a sales order when they come in. The techs work on them and hand write part numbers on a ticket for each item. I have to then edit the sales order, and put each part used underneath the serial number of the unit. So if each unit used part MEI8432663, I get to type that into the sales order as many times as there are units. It’s stupid and Netsuite is not set up to do this in any real way, but it’s the only hammer we have so we just bang on the process until it kind of resembles something that could work. It’s crazy.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

pixaal posted:

Can you run an exe that isn't installed? Like just use AHK portable and map MEI8432663 to say F8? Autohotkey is pretty good https://www.autohotkey.com/download/2.0/ the zip files should be the portable versions. They are in ABC order and there's some weird released at the bottom under the newest check the date grab something from 2023 but really it's AHK a copy from 2010 probably is fine.

If IT installed full office you may also have power automate installed which is Microsoft's new workflow automation stuff. I haven't even looked at it yet though so this is a soft I heard about it.

I…Hmm. I’m going to have to experiment with this. Thank you!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My boss told me to sneak extra cost into a customer’s order. Okay, fine, you don’t want to stand up to this guy and tell him his maximum repair prices are too low, or negotiate a flat rate? I’m billing him for an acoustic encabulator. Will the poo poo hit the fan? Will the guy even notice? Either way, it’s not my rear end on the line, so it’ll be fun to see.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Yeah, rear end covered in several ways. I even came up with a part we use that could reasonably be named an acoustic encabulator. But I hate being told to sneak extra charges in. You want to commit fraud, you should have to do it yourself.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Our last job evaluation form asked us how we felt about our supervisor. I actually have an awesome boss, so I wrote a really glowing review of him. Then when it came time for the in person discussion, he was all ‘thanks very much for your comments about me, that was very nice’. While it would have been a lot worse if I had said bad things, why the hell would HR show him that? How are people supposed to answer honestly if they’re just going to tell the person what you said?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
We have pretty good proof that one of our customers is taking units we’ve repaired apart and putting bad parts in them, then sending the unit back to be fixed under warranty. The smoking gun would be the actual repair ticket for the original service for the unit. The problem is that our finance department recently moved out of the building, and their department was storing all the paperwork. It should be fine though, because this ticket was done after everyone knew about the move. So where is the paperwork? “Oh they haven’t found a place yet.” Wait, they’re not so stupid as to destroy those records. They have to be somewhere. “Yeah, over on that cart”. A giant cart stacked high with papers in no particular order. I’m talking stuff from thousands and thousands of orders. How am I supposed to find what I need? “They haven’t figured it out yet”. Alright….we’ll just keep letting this guy scam us, I guess. :shrug:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
The nice thing about working in vending repair is that we have to have refrigerator models and freezer models for the boards to be tested in. There’s no possible way for any higher ups to remove them. We had a coffee machine as well but then they moved coffee to its own department, our broke and no one ever fixed it. Fortunately the head of boards had just gotten a new Keurig so he brought in his old one. There’s still a machine over in the kiosk department, but :effort:.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It depends what you’re using it for obviously, but there are advantages to a plain excel sheet. I’d probably commit murder for the ability to copy paste/fill down cells in netsuite. It’s routine for us to have 50+ item orders where the pricing for each line has to be changed. So for each line you have to pick the “custom” price option from a pull-down menu, and then manually type in the price. 50 times. For one order.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

wash bucket posted:

I sit near a dude in sales that has to do cold calls and 99.99% of the time he never even gets to finish his first sentence before they hang up on him. It's rough as hell to listen to.

There’s an opposite to this problem too. The other day I went to call a customer, and the guy answered the phone, yelled “I’m not buying what you’re selling!” and hung up.

He then called the next week upset, because we never called to tell him his order was ready.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Collateral Damage posted:

My access card for work is completely blank save for a serial number in the corner.

My access card is completely blank. They’re supposed to have pictures and names on them, but I never got mine taken, because they were going to print new ones for everyone with our rebranded name and logo. That was 6 months ago.

At the same time, we really don’t need to have access passes. They only implemented them after some random dude came in and stabbed a line worker over a relationship dispute.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
For the past six months or so, there’s been an expired pallet of cappuccino mix outside of the parts department. It may have not started out expired, but it sure is now. I can’t imagine why no one’s thrown it away yet. Is there any use for 500 pounds of expired coffee mix, mostly hazelnut but some caramel? Maybe you can feed it to pigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

We once received a unit for repair with only a business card attached that said:

Batman
Rides to the airport- $75

Now instead of telling people to send in their stuff with a business card, I have to spell out “Something that has your name, address, and phone number”.