Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

You don't have to get the contact right, the important bit is the sending.

Send two registered letters, one to the CEO, one to the company lawyer or "legal department". Tell them you have the laptop and are charging storage.

When they come back 3 years later, you can say "as noted in my letter on the 16 Feb 2022, you will need to pay $500 storage per day before receiving the laptop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tater_salad posted:

in an old job I had to very heavily protect a workbook that I didn't own (someoen elses process but in same office) because the worker would continue to delete / type in calculated cells. It was real easy it was a gas surcharge calculator based on miles driven per vehicle. Person running it would continually type in the auto calc fields or whatever and then gently caress the workbook up. after the 3rd time I basically told the person I was going to protect them from themselves.

A couple of jobs back I got my one and only writeup / official warning ever because if this poo poo.

There was a manual process that took between 45 minutes and an hour that we had to do every day that was essentially copying data between spreadsheets, so I decided to automate it. Spent ages getting it right, wrote up the doco, tested it out and everything was fine till one dude decided that the old way was better. He deleted all my automation, and went back to the old method.

First time it happened I have him the benefit of the doubt and just restored the automation. Second time it happened I restored the automation and asked him wtf and he gave me some bs answer. Third time it happened, I restored the automation, locked it off, and wrote up in the documentation "good looking and smart people can use the new version, the old version is stored here for Simon to use" which was apparently not the right thing to do, but I stand by my decision.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

'where do you see yourself in 5 years?' is a great interview question to ask your prospective manager.

Gonna ask this next time I have an interview where I don't care if I get the job or not.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

It's perfectly fine to say hello, just carry on and ask the question too.

GOOD:
10:00:00 Hello Coxy
10:00:05 Did you get that thing I sent you?
10:30:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

BAD
10:00:00 Hello Coxy
10:30:00 > Hi Hyrax, what's up
10:45:00 Did you get that thing I sent you?
11:00:00 > Yes I did, I'll setup a session later today.

(I wouldn't actually ever even respond to a hello.)

This.

I dont care what your status is, im going to ask my question / give my answer. When you deal with that is up to you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

Whisper a bit first. "I'm sorry sonny, my voice hasn't been any good since the operation. You'll have to turn your volume up. More.. more..."

Then blow the whistle into the phone

Yeah, dont be a shitweasel and intentionally try to permanently injure minimum wage workers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

We've had a rash of users bringing us PCs that have bugs

:bravo:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Karia posted:

Is this horrific? Yes! Is it surprising? No! The US has even fewer work protections than most people think. Obviously, talk to an employment lawyer if necessary.

At this stage im more surprised to hear that there are any protections at all in America.

For anything.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fisting by many posted:

There are plenty of worker protections, they're just trivially circumvented. Unless your boss sends you an email detailing in bullet points all the ways he is violating them.

So they aren't really protecting anyone.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fisting by many posted:

That's right. But they're technically there!
Fair.

At this stage im more surprised to hear that there are any effective protections at all in America.

For anything.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Volmarias posted:

BTB has a fun episode on him. He's definitely actually put in the work and effort for the money, but that doesn't mean he's not a turd.

No he hasn't. That much money can't be earned, only exploited.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

On nap talk, I've never been able to nap properly and the few times I've had a proper 20 nap and woken up made me really jealous of you all. I just sit there with my eyes closed worrying about the poo poo I need to do and how much I need some sleep until it's time to get up.

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/how-to-meditate

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

Meditate? Sounds like hippy poo poo to me.

*Downs two whiskys and half a joint before bedtime, wonders why it's so hard to wake up in the morning*

Yeah, you got the wrong way round, have two joints and half a whiskey imo

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

If it's epicor have fun

I used to work for a company that installed epicor and epicor related products

No, they did not use it themselves.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

evilpicard posted:

Who here here uses concur and how much do you enjoy spending 4 hours a month entering your expenses God drat

You can set concur up to do OCR, then just throw pdfs at it till it breaks.

preferably scans that are just tilted a bit

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

Someone invent magic so we can have poo poo that actually works tia

Arthur C Clarke posted:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

huh if a company is dumb enough to give you an editiable doc you editing it is legit and allowed?

this sounds like a real lifehack protip.

Theres that old story about some dude doing this to a bank, and it working out in his favour.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I like the bit where imperial units are all defined in metric anyway.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr.Sloth posted:

My workplace just implemented a "sensitivity" labeling system for every single email, word, excel etc. file created. So now I have to decide if my email about Taco Tuesday is Public, Internal, Confidential or Restricted.

As a bonus this is mandatory so when an external person sends me something to go over they get it back with a big old sensitivity label stamped like I'm a dog taking a piss on a fire hydrant lol.

There was a big meeting about this change and the following questions were asked.

Q. Do I have to do this for all emails / documents?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I choose a default setting for my documents if I don't handle sensitive information?
A. No.

Q. Does the label I choose affect the encryption or security of the document?
A. No (maybe later)

Q. What even is the point of all this?
A. (Silence)

I don't know who is pushing for this since it seemed like no one is happy lol.

I was tasked with implementing this function for a previous job, which I noped out of very quickly, because thats not what a data analyst is supposed to be doing.

They can implement a default setting, they can implement it folder by folder as well, so if you save a document into a onedrive location, it automatically has a sensitivity label applied. Pretty sure they can do defaults for emails as well.

The point of it for us was to try to get a grip on private information leaving the org. There had been a spate of people working for the org, getting their hands on all the documentation and training, then leaving and starting their own consultancy with all the information.

It can be set up to be fairly friction free for most employees, its just that their implementation of it seem halfassed and not in consideration of the end user.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

evilpicard posted:

What's a deductible :canada:

Laughs in Australian

American healthcare is a nightmare

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

Australia's economy is collapsing

And it will somehow still be better than the public option in America.

It's very possible that we can have a soft landing, but that would mean that we need to deflate the real estate bubble smoothly, and that just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

evilpicard posted:

I have a SSO behind another SSO behind 2FA behind a login screen that connects to the company intranet. So I definitely do that every time instead of saving passwords in chrome on my personal device.

Get bitwarden, its pretty good.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Domus posted:

I got my review today. The boss proudly told me that the range for the department was 0-3 percent, but I was so good they’re going to give me 4. You stupid fucks, you pay me $16/hr. No paperwork gets done without me. I’m the only person in this place who can take a unit all the way from coming in with the driver, checking it in, fixing it, QAing it, billing it, and sending it out the door. I built a customized arduino device to speed up data entry. I know at least one customer has written the big boss saying I was an asset to the company. You literally had my only possible replacement quit without notice two weeks ago. And I’m supposed to be excited that I get a 64 cent an hour raise?! I like this place, I like my coworkers, but you’re giving me at least a dollar fifty or I am walking the hell out that door. Jesus, how out of touch with reality are you?

I love this about %age based raises. 5% to someone on 100k is not the same as 5% to someone on minimum wage.

Spell it out in actual dollars and cents to them and see how they react

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

One time I went to smash a wolf spider with a hammer. I missed and proceeded to chase it around my room trying in vain to smash the thing until I finally got it.

The sound must have been absolutely wonderful for my house mates. *Wack* "gently caress gently caress" *WACK* *WACK* *WACK* *WACK* *WACK* "gently caress" *WACK* *WACK* *WACK* "gently caress" *WACK* *WACK* *WACK*

That's where you hosed up. Wolf spiders are catch and release, not kill on sight.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Sounds like someone is gonna get cut in half by couple bar worth of hydraulic fluid blowing out a flange.

Is it acceptable to maroon people on your ship? I guess that's up to the captain.

Are they technically marooned if you throw them in a life raft and tow them around?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

My new place is all in on Office365 and all the things that come with it.

Did you know if you send someone a file on teams that usually lives on sharepoint, it doesn’t actually send them the file it just gives them a link to the original file that looks exactly like a sent file.

That’s not really a big deal until it’s, say, a template, and the person who ‘received’ the file doesn’t know they need to save themselves an actual copy before they start loving with it so they just gently caress with it as-is and then save it, overwriting the nice neat and tidy template with whatever the gently caress they just did to it.

SharePoint has built in versioning and you can restore the original in like 5 clicks.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I refuse to use teams file sharing. It sucks and gives nothing over a shared file on a networked drive.

This is just flat out wrong.

The web interface alone has saved me so much grief when transferring files over the internet.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. I'm not saying I'm shocked, just more it's weirdly consistent among the Aussies I've met here at a much higher rate than Kiwis, Americans, Canadians, etc

Yeah, we have had a steady diet of racist bullshit for quite a while now. Back in the early 2000s, right wing politicians figured out that demonising refugees was an easy way to boost poll numbers, so they leaned heavily into that, which leads to situations like the continent of Australia being excised from the Australian Migration Zone.

The (nominally) center-left party saw how successful this was and leaned in as well, which left our Greens party as the only group saying "Hey, maybe we shouldn't torture people who are asking us for help".

This steady diet of hate of others means that chuds are fairly easily swayed by people like Trump. And Australia is full of chuds who havent been told to shut the gently caress up, so they are loud about their hosed up views.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

kntfkr posted:

I've been working two remote jobs concurrently since February. The advice on this forum helped. I'm able to get tasks done for both companies quickly with the use of a KVM switch and spend way too much time posting and still manage to go to gym twice a day every weekday.

This is my goal for the next 2-3 years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I secretly love having a work polo shirt, because there is no way they can complain about it, I don't need to iron it, and I don't have to decide what to wear to work each day.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

withoutclass posted:

Big key here is to not reply at all until they send a proper message.

Or just keep doing what you were doing until they send a proper message?

You don't have to sit there waiting for the whole.message to come through.

The real pro move is to wait a few moments and then ask how they are. You might be able to get them to delete their whole message and then they have to re-type it, wasting minutes on both ends of the conversation

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

There's never any reason to tell the thing to cut an inch down into the table (that I can think of) and, at a bare minimum, it seems like a safety issue to even allow it to happen what with blades breaking and what not.

Or perhaps I am just an idiot and I hosed up.

Both can be true.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

high precision gallons.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

4.6e^-5 gallons/minute

cant stop laughing

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My company is migrating from AX2009 to D365. The vendor / consultants who kicked off the process very confidently said "Nah, we dont need test data, it will be fine". We built the data warehouse using our best guess, but surprise surprise, without any test data, there is gaps and incorrect logic. I had to develop all the reports to use the two different data sources in the one report and was given a total of 1 week with some test data before they started the internal validation checks. Weirdly enough, that wasnt enough time to spot every error and then fix them all. This week has sucked hairy anus and was so very easily avoidable by just insisting on some drat test data.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Well THAT just got moved way up on my to-watch list.

Severance is a great show and should be watched by anyone who has worked an office job they don't like

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

I've had chili beer.

It's terrible.

https://matsos.com.au/products/chilli-beer

That chili beer is pretty good.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Barudak posted:

It should be noted that Kewpie mayo has 5 times the cholesterol of the mayo Americans eat. It is in everything and impressively bad for you.

Oh that's why it's so delicious

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I make reports. If I work on a report, I need to update the completion rate % of the report in 4 different locations. DevOps, an internal team excel spreadsheet, an external team excel spreadsheet and an online spreadsheet. There is also a BI report that I made that looks at the internal spreadsheet and turns it into pretty charts that track completion rates.

My boss also has daily standups with the team, where he updates his own spreadsheet with the same info.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I spent a good three hours at work today, working on a side hustle.

Managed expectations when I started and have delivered on every deadline that's been within my control. I'm ahead of the project plan / schedule so I'm gonna take my time now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bored posted:

I’m with you. I don’t understand how people can be comfortable not doing their jobs. Sometimes, I think they have been assigned too much. But, like, that task probably still needs to be done and how are they so comfortable not giving a poo poo?

If you are in no danger of getting fired and don't care what other people think, why should you give a poo poo if the company runs less efficiently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chewbecca posted:

Yeah it decided has it's own logic to it, you just have to actively not give a gently caress about the impact it might have on your colleagues as well

And they don't give a gently caress about that, so I guess it's all gravy v:smith:v

Blame the lovely management who lets it continue, rather than the worker who is on the gravy train.