Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

boar guy posted:

i told them in my interview 'i will never work in an office again'. despite this i have visited the campus 12 times in the 16 months i have worked there. they are getting ready to tell me in October that i have to come in to the office 1x a month (it's 2.5 hours away) and i'm prepared to tell them to pound sand, if it's an ultimatum, simply because the CEO is such a giant jackass and i have no inability to disguise my contempt for stupidity

i'm redoing a website in 6 weeks that would have cost them my yearly salary to have an outside firm do, and it would have taken a year. lotsa luck finding someone else, y'all :)

They are either 100% bluffing or they are willing to throw away their valuable workforce over 8 hours per month spent in a cube. Either way, best to find out right now if they are worth sticking around for.

I signed the competing offer I had in-hand and left my last job the same day the admin scolded us over zoom for wanting to keep WFH, "the office is safer than the grocery store!!!". Left for a 100% WFH job, I hear the campus is currently having a covid outbreak. Literally curing covid and removing it from the planet is only a necessary, no where near sufficient, condition for me to ever work in an office again if I have literally any other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

boar guy posted:

i also think they are bluffing but it's absolutely not worth sticking around for. i already told my direct supervisor- one of the smartest and best people i've ever met- that i'd leave if they give me an ultimatum, and she told me she respects that, lol

That's probably an even better way to handle it, don't even let them bring it up without consequences. Gotta have meetings pivot from "everyone on zoom doing WFH" to "everyone on zoom with maybe 3-5 people not doing WFH on a rotating basis", because those workplace interactions with people you aren't interacting with because everyone is only coming in 1 day per month are key to our competitive edge and sense of culture.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Killswitch posted:

After 2.5 years of wfh, we just got the “we’re hybrid and everyone in the Vancouver office is expected at their desk Tuesday to Thursday starting in October” email. We’re a software company, and we’ve done a not-insignificant amount of remote hiring during Covid.

Today is the monthly all hands meeting, wonder how this is gonna go down

Are the people who were hired remotely expected to be there Tu-Th?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

evilpicard posted:

I worked a restaurant that gave employees free fried chicken for black history month.

My black colleagues were reportedly not that offended, because hey, free chicken.

"black people love fried chicken" is one of the most perplexing stereotypes I've ever run across. Who tf doesn't love fried chicken? This is like accusing black people of drinking water when they are thirsty

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

sex excellence posted:

its because poor people enslaved by others were often allowed to keep chickens and other small animals for themselves and their families on the plantations so the enslaved people were seen eating it a lot

I'm sure that's a reason why fried chicken is a large part of the culture, but I don't get why it's invoked like some huge insult. "lol they eat fried chicken and watermelon", and? You ever try fried chicken and watermelon? It's delicious. And whenever there's a story about people punching each other out in-line for a fried chicken sandwich, that poo poo is 100% being done by white people. And then when I was in New Zealand, every joint on Queen St offered fried chicken and was packed with Japanese 20-somethings. I can't fathom making someone feel lovely about liking a universally adored food.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Motronic posted:

Maybe if you tried being dumber and more racist you'd understand.

I can't promise anything, but I'll try.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because it's poor people / "those people" food. This isn't just a US thing, you see it elsewhere too, although the examples I'm aware of usually revolve around bread.* Something is a staple of the economic (and often social/racial) lower classes, people a rung or two above them on the ladder avoid it because they don't want to be perceived as being lower down than they really are, then a few generations later you have yuppie food bloggers raving about the authentic food truck serving it out front of their office building. By the time you get to that point the association isn't as strong and the people rediscovering it aren't as economically tenuous and afraid of backsliding.

I've got relatives in the South who still refuse to eat catfish because growing up they were always taught it was "white trash food" and none of them are exactly raking in bank. Being able to pretend they're better than someone living in a double-wide is more or less all they've got, so it's what they latch onto. Well, that and Tucker Carlson. edit: meanwhile our shared Grandfather, to the end of his days, loving loved fried catfish. Then again, he was verifiably poor as gently caress at one point in his life, and supplemented his diet with fishing more than once during the Depression.

*white bread made with heavily milled wheat grain was traditionally food for wealthy people. Coarser grains with more of the hull and oils left in the flour, like barley and rye, were what everyone else made. The fancy loaves of expensive boutique whole wheat, rye, etc. bread sitting on the shelves of a Whole Foods is an example of this kind of inversion.

I remember hearing years ago that there was a similar inversion in the perspective on owning lakefront property. Back in the day lakefront property was unappealing (poor drainage, full of bugs, smelled bad, etc), and was left for the yokels while the rich people lived up the hill. Now it's the reverse.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They ask for your Mother-in-law's number, then call to ask her why you're such a disappointment.

We would all pass that test

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol at the 1894 one:

The context for that was a nation-wide strike after wages were slashed for coal workers in the face of a financial panic / recession (pre-1930s financial cycles can be wild and a lot of modern terminology is hard to really apply to them). A strike that involved poo poo like strike breaking rent-a-cops firing on crowds of thousands of protesting workers with machine guns, killing at least five of them.

So, yeah. "no one wants to work."

Absolutely wild that coal miners went from being the vanguard antifa pro-union foot soldiers to being braindead simps for their corporate bosses in like, slightly more than a single average life-time.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Flyball posted:

Did anybody have bombers? I thought that they all dropped little bombs by hand from their biplanes.

loving Busy Town rear end war

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

rotinaj posted:

Oh, I seem to have given y'all the impression that my poo poo job gives me six days of PTO per year.

That's not specific enough for the full impact.

Two days of sick, two days of personal, two days of vacation. Something like 8 holidays over the course of the year, and a vague floating holiday policy. And then my super cool accrual rate of 1 hour per 80 hours worked.

:hmmno: no sir i dont like it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Scientastic posted:

I’m not sure I agree with this: other companies might have horrible toxic environments, terrible managers, expectations to work long hours. If you find yourself in an organisation you like and you look at the job above you and think, “yeah, I could do that”, I think you’re better going for the promotion than you are jumping ship for somewhere that might be loving awful…

These could both be true. I've often heard (and recently lived) that finding a new job is the fastest and most direct rout to increasing your salary. But I agree that there are risks involved with the move. I think too often companies refuse to promote from within and people see these jobs above them being filled by a revolving door of less qualified people who took the former strategy and came in from outside.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Testikles posted:

Trouble is I am on a high performing team in a very needy organization. That extra is the amount I have to do not to get yelled at

I would look for offers elsewhere, you can get paid more to work less. Whether you choose to walk away or use an offer to leverage a promotion and a raise where you're currently working is a personal choice, but you should be cultivating other options regardless of what you plan to do with them.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

TotalLossBrain posted:

She takes the cake only every four years tho

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

ben shapino posted:

I'll be sending in my two week notice in the next hour or so.

Found a place willing to work with me to get me to change career paths into something more product-oriented. Taking a decent pay cut and a big leap of faith to do it but I think it's an opportunity I won't have very many of.

Weird feeling.

I did something similar at the beginning of the year, quite a weird feeling. But it was a huge improvement for me and I'm beyond glad that I made the move. I hope you have a similar experience.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Motronic posted:

Wait what? Why would anyone admit to finding any issue at all ever if this is a thing? Why did you?

"Reported issues are at an all-time low this quarter!" -- manager who is about to be given a bonus

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Most of my wife's family works for the same company they all hate, there's a swag giveaway blanket with the company logo that has been passed around as a gag-gift at Christmas because it smells absolutely awful, like engine oil, nobody knows why they all apparently just came that way.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

If I'm asked to take a personality test by an employer I drop the interview process immediately. If it's ever sprung on me after hiring that's the first day I'm looking for a new job.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Was in an all-hands this week where the PM was openly bewildered that every single person they've tried to hire this year is only interested in working remotely. "It's a problem!"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

If my employer ever needs me to explain why I'm completely inflexible on remote work, I can now point them to their own HR email that says they've dropped any COVID vaccination requirements on job postings or onboarding in an effort to boost recruitment

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Tarkus posted:

Scabotage

I can't stand it, I know you planned it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Computer viking posted:

And just to tie it back in: Nobody reads your thesis, except your advisor, the opponents, and maybe some especially dedicated friends and family. But people do actually read the papers, sometimes.

The advisor and committee rarely read the thesis either.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Your advisor should be reading it, albeit in parts.

Oh agreed, they definitely should be reading it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Escape From Noise posted:

Nothing quite so bracing as spraying nearly boiling wort on your stomach. Doing this right after leaning your arm against a pipe carrying said wort really adds to the experience.

I was at a Perkins once and a server had a pot of scalding hot coffee dumped onto their stomach in the kitchen in some bizarre accident, from the sound they made I assumed someone had just died

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I mean....if it's hot enough, you could be in the hospital dealing with serious burns for a while. you just boiled your torso. and probably you'll be left with lifelong burn scars - they don't always look like traditional scars, had a friend who had boiling water dumped on her as a kid and the form her scarring took was that her whole chest area looked like she always had a serious sunburn. Just always bright bright pink and super flushed.

Yeah I think the server's shirt and apron saved them from being annihilated, it was scary

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Orvin posted:

I learned that I won’t be going to a Hotel desking setup, it’s Flex Seating. Apparently the main difference is that each department gets a neighborhood of desks available to be reserved by people up to 2 weeks out. And there was already a department manager asking what to do if someone continues to reserve the same spot continuously. Sadly no one told him “I guess you then have to do your job and talk to the employee”. Or he was just fishing for approval to poach the best spot forever.

Excuse my being a dumbass about this because I've been lucky enough to avoid this whole part of office culture: What is wrong with just reserving the same spot continuously? Is there supposed to be some benefit to doing a little pilgrimage from one desk to another that same-spot-guy is missing out on?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Orvin posted:

As Chewbacca posted, it’s probably trying to get ahead of the people that are effectively claiming a desk for themselves for all time, if they are there or not. I don’t know what the ratio of desks to people is, but if enough people try to claim a desk that way, there will be issues.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but this is the most self-inflicted bullshit problem for an office to have. There'd be no need for a policy to handle someone claiming a desk for themselves in perpetuity if they weren't hot desking to begin with. The last in-office job I had I had a cubicle with a desk in it, it was my cube and my desk and the topic of "who keeps sitting at this desk" never came up because the answer is me, I'm the one at this desk. Goddamn.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I have yet to find a use for LLM, although I've seen attempts at it that look promising like being able to download a scientific paper and then enter a chat that can answer questions and provide a brief description. I haven't seen a successful one yet but if one ever appears it would cut down the amount of wasted time I spend digging through papers that end up being pointless for my work. So far those applications seem to work like chatting with a student who forgot to do the assignment and is winging it.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

What if the hot secretary is Japanese and I say “I’m looking forward to a chance to Mount Fuji tonight”, I could be talking about the mountain!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I did the exit interview at my last job because I wanted to get across that changes that were made to the way our center worked had made my job impossible and they were at risk of losing more people for the same reasons. All they really cared about was whether or not I was quitting because they weren't allowing full-time remote, which I wasn't, and beyond that they didn't seem to care. Within days of leaving I heard the more junior person taking over some of my projects was thinking about leaving for the same reason I left.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Smart poo poo your work does: We somehow managed to take a meeting that could have been an email and turn it into an email, cancelling the meeting.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Every possible minute spent in the office should be focused on finding a new job, if they're dragging you in then they can pay for your job hunt.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

We’ve tweaked our online training modules so that if you fail the quiz when you hit retry it just takes you back to the questions you got wrong, so as long as you read the little ‘you should have selected me, referring to you’ box that popped up when you hosed it up you can just mush the right answers in and get a perfect score to check that box on the “has everyone been told this” list:

good, that perfectly meets the definition of "has everyone been told this" without making someone cycle through all of the options on some trick question

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Salami Surgeon posted:

HR getting mad and sending out dress code emails. I guess someone wore a tshirt.

My wife was working from home full-time for a company in the mid 2000s and somehow was required to dress business casual at home for a short period of time to answer the phone and run spreadsheets. And since this was way before regular video teleconferencing there was no "but what if a zoom" to fall back on. So just put on dress pants and a respectable blouse and sit in your own chair in your own house because dress code.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol early in pandemic some coworkers were still dressing up and wearing their ID cards while at home. Which if they want to do is their own business just felt odd.

cargo cult

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

But what the person described about them demanding corporate dress at home in a non-video setting? Piss off.

I'm sure corporate justification was 50/50 between "business casual is one of those magical, intangible office culture things that makes work better even though it is regressive and nobody wants it and it literally doesn't make anything better" and "if we let the WFHomies wear tshirts then eventually office workers will demand the same and enforcing this dress code is literally 1/3 of our job".

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

why on earth does anyone have to be presentable for a zoom meeting

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

not being presentable at a zoom meeting shows how I am willing to log on to meetings even when I really don't want to, it's really a compliment

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Put my federal crimes on paper and demand employees sign it? Why yes, sounds like a great idea!

https://twitter.com/Not_CharLatte/status/1680993019929960448

jfc, being taken off of tips knocks you down to $2.13/hr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Being paid to possibly Weekend at Bernie's a woodland mammal sounds like a pretty sweet gig