Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Finally Pissflaps is free to spend more time with their family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I have a suggestion. So the Unionists like the Union Flag and the Queen's flag with the cats on, and the nats either like the various crosses that make up the flag or they hate everything to do with it depending on what type. So Kieth needs to stay the central route and go with a flag that in theory nobody should have any strong views on but in practice would slightly annoy everyone.

Ah, the noble flag of No Iceland. :iceland:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Want to forsake this benighted land?
Various science/tech/mechanics/boatperson jobs in Antarctica (and some in Cambridge).

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancies/

I suppose if you're going to overwinter in Antarctica you probably aren't doing it just for the money, but the flat rate £24,685 salary +10% bonus seems pretty bad for highly skilled work, spending a year entirely cut off from the world living in a metal shack in a frozen desert. Though on the upside your food and accommodation are paid and you've got plenty of time to organise an Antarctic workers' union.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess the crucial question is what the prices are like at the bar there. As you say, you aren't spending your money on much else.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are the ancient, unknowable horrors from beyond the stars to consider. And also I know someone who worked a few seasons at McMurdo and their internet use was limited to a couple of text-only emails once a week.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

feedmegin posted:

I mean, this is pretty big, yes. You're making 2 grand a month with literally nothing to spend it on, so you'll be coming home with all of that minus tax (which will be at the basic rate) in your bank account.

I mean I appreciate that but my employers usually don't give me a raise just because my rent has gone up, so I don't see why I should get less because it's temporarily gone down. Also if you have a mortgage or family at home renting then you're still paying for that even while you aren't there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not a huge fan of paying people in scrip but the alternative to having accommodation provided is that some fucker buys up all the rooms available en masse and then starts charging people through the nose to rent them, so on balance it seems like a pretty good system as is

Maybe some enterprising landlord will negotiate whatever international treaties govern setting up Antarctic slums sooner or later. But until then accommodation and food aren't provided as perks but because it would be impossible get the job done otherwise, in much the same way that employees aren't expected to pay the $10,000+ that is the going rates for flights down there. Typically you get paid more for jobs where you spend long periods working away from home in a company camp, not less. I completely understand the appeal of spending a season in Antarctica, I've worked in the Arctic a fair bit and I'd love to visit the deep, deep south myself. But I don't think it's that strange to expect some extra compensation for the added hardship that the job requires (or even just the normal amount of compensation for the skill level).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can just clap whenever you like, it's perfectly legal.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah but have you considered it's ultimately funded by a research council, ie an organisation that's underbudgeted to the point of dysfunction and under extremely stupid political pressure on top of having finance people that make the jobcentre look like a generous source of free money.

I guess if all the nurses and doctors worked for free the NHS would have a lot more spare cash too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Borrovan posted:

Off topic, is anyone aware of a tool that can recover and permanently delete old files? Basically I'm sorting through a stack of old laptops so I can take them to the food bank in case anyone needs them for school or w/e, I don't want anyone snooping my files though & not all of them have a secure option in the factory restore thingy. I can find a bunch of tools that recover deleted files or delete existing files, but none that'll just make sure the already deleted stuff stays dead. If I restored all deleted files to a specific folder and then nuked that would it work, or would restoring just create a new copy & leave the ghost data?

You don't need to restore the files first, just format the hard drive (if there is an option choose full/slow format, not quick format). If you're extremely paranoid or have reason to think someone might come after your data with an electron microscope you can overwrite it a couple of times with random bytes (you'll need an OS on a CD/USB stick to boot from).

e: Like Guava said

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Through simple statistical analysis of all of your bad posts I've already been able to reconstruct the contents of your hard drives. I'm disappointed in you all for what I found there, but not really surprised.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

"Bedwetters and luvvies in race to score political points" is the most accurate description of Twitter discourse I've ever heard.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What the gently caress is a luvvie?

I believe it originally just meant someone who works in a theatre, but British tabloids tend to apply it to vaguely liberal types (especially celebrities) regardless of profession.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
SICKO LUVVIES SPEND YOUR TAX MONEY ON STEAMY ROMP IN LUXURY LOVE NEST, BOFFINS SAY

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I reckon if you have a geographical area named after you you have to live there. Prince Edward on Prince Edward Island, the Queen in Queen Elizabeth Land, and Prince Charles to be cut in three and sent to Wales, Cornwall and Rothesay respectively.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1358031990596005891

They may be melty at best but you have to appreciate the dedication to the bit.

If these trends continue then by the year 8781CE The Spectator will overtake the Daily Mail as Britain's top selling paper!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, I saw Massive Attack at a festival a few years back and apart from being great live and bringing some other cool but less well known acts on to play in the middle of their set, the display behind the stage was showing anti-capitalist and anti-imperialist messages the entire time. They don't make a secret of their politics.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Look, I'd never claim Andrew Neil is a nonce, there really isn't enough evidence to support that. But I do think there would be value in an open, free and thorough exploration of the subject in a national newspaper.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is Kevin Bridges okay?
I've only seen his TV standup but it all seemed pretty alright to me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Posting bad takes from The JC is shooting fish in a barrel. It's just another far-right rag, except with the gimmick of claiming to speak for an entire religion in order to deflect criticism.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

"i really like the number 8, so tend to be more lenient on answers including it"

Failing your stats coursework because you drew your bar chart with confidence intervals and your lecturer is a Bayesian.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I was at uni the ice cream vans had some stiff competition from certain taxi companies. I remember getting a business card off one mobile entrepreneur that advertised "a swift, reliable service". It was, too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's unfortunate that some people have preexisting conditions, such as children or active social lives, that make lockdown especially hard for them. But IMO their sacrifice is a small price to pay so that childless asthmatic shutins can continue to live normally.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

Seems like a hot take but I’m not sure tbh

Like it seems like ‘childless asthmatic shutins’ has an implied judgement but I dunno??

I get that there’s tension between groups but this really seems like you think we’ve reached the point where we should triage the childless, the asthmatic and the shy
I thought I'd balanced the post so that both sides would disagree but you were the only one to bite and now I just feel bad about it. Maybe we're not the most easily trolled thread on SA any more?

I don't actually think that a forever lockdown or sacrificing thousands of people with otherwise manageable illnesses is necessary. The UK could even now follow Australia in practically eliminating Covid in Great Britain if the Tories were willing to (NI would presumably require coordination with the Irish government and even as a hypothetical that might be expecting too much of Johnson). lovely leadership from a lovely government is the problem. People frustrated with being stuck inside wishing that they could lead normal lives again and people who don't want to die a preventable death should both be on the same side here.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Really interesting choice to head up your article on free speech with a picture of Rowling, Telegraph editor. And then for some reason my dog has just started barking and running around checking all the windows? :confused:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sebzilla posted:

With a union jack on the router :britain:

And then the router flag is just shoved in some dark cupboard? Configure it to have every image request return the flag imo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

And then the router flag is just shoved in some dark cupboard? Configure it to have every image request return the flag imo.

I've quickly mocked this up and I think you'll all agree it's a big improvement in terms of patriotism.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 15, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
After all the talking to police chat earlier I am still unsure what type of solicitor you talk to when you've done a crime and want to get away with it. To avoid moral quandaries we can take a hypothetical unambiguous good that is also a crime, like maybe you played Iain Duncan Smith's head like a bongo and he uncoolly called the police on you and wants to press charges.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jacksbrat posted:

I think it was someone in here who said Adam Curtis sounds like Keir Starmer so thanks for completely changing my viewing experience. He also reminds of the friend from What We Do in the Shadows, the one they have to abstain from killing despite looking like he's full of delicious blood. There would be some tortured metaphor to be made here about him being a useful idiot for the labour right ghouls but after the spy cops abstention stuff I'm sure he's in the coven.

Some excellent graphic design.

I feel inspired to invest in Britain by disembodied pair of hands and woman who seems to be getting strangled at first glance.

Powerful messaging.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I'm so confused.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

what's in that thing anyway

You can take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oviQ-L9Kv9Q
(you can click and drag to look around)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't watch football either but it isn't the only sport. All the good sports take place on either snow or ice*, unfortunately the climate of the UK means it's a bit tough for most people to participate in those and so they aren't popular enough to merit mainstream TV broadcast outside of the Winter Olympics.

*rock climbing is an exception but competition climbing is tedious, and the top level of the outdoor sport generally involves some wiry guy spending months at a remote crag falling repeatedly while trying to find the precise foot position on a 2mm protrusion that will give him the leverage to make another tiny bit of progress. That can make for some good films, but it isn't very exciting to watch live.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm sure the fabulous dual lane roads of rural Ards will be able to easily manage the influx of travelers to Portavogie.

Maybe they'll splash out and add two extra lanes

I was going to say, likewise the conveniently located and well connected Stanraer. I guess it's easier to get to from Glasgow than the shorter crossing to Ireland from the Lorn Peninsula, but the A77 isn't exactly ideal as a major freight route.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Barry Foster posted:

Sounds like classic imposter syndrome to me.

I struggle with it really, really badly as well so I can't give you a magic tip to make it go away, but you need to try to remember as best you can that you are you and not someone else, and you can't constantly compare yourself to other people or you'll go mad and/or freeze up and never achieve anything for yourself.

They've done a bunch of stuff but that doesn't mean that they're, like, better people than you, y'know? Everyone's moving at their own pace and doing their own thing.
Yeah. My mentor at my job comes from a remarkably similar early background to me, but is a year younger and probably five years ahead of me career-wise. As far as I can tell they took the direct, straightforward route to where they are, and are great at their job. I took a meandering and roundabout way, with years out from what you might consider the "proper" career progression. If I compare myself directly to my mentor in that respect, it can be demotivating. But in those years I met people who became important to me, learned skills and ways of thinking that have shaped who I am now, and the experiences led to my decisions in coming to this job, the place where I live, and the life that I have. I can't know where I would have ended up had I also taken the proper route, but there's certainly no guarantee it would be better for me. I also have no idea what my mentor's own anxieties or feelings of inadequacy are, although I'm sure they have them.

I often feel as though I am surrounded my incredibly smart, motivated and competent people and wonder how I, an extremely lazy person and not particularly great thinker, ended up among them. But as far as I can tell my colleagues like me and appreciate my contributions, and people generally tell me they're happy with my work. From that I either have to conclude that everyone else is putting on just as much of a front as I am, the bar just isn't as high as I think it is, I consistently underrate myself, or all of the above. At some point when everyone is telling you you are doing just fine you just have to try to believe them. Much easier said than done, I know - my partner has horrible imposter syndrome and though all the evidence is that her colleagues value her and she's great at what she does she really struggles to accept that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

I saw them at Supersonic Festival in Birmingham in 2007. And now I've just discovered there's a bootleg of the show on Youtube so that's exciting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmo4QTvc_w

Were such a fantastic live band. It's beautiful & as you say transcendent but also heavy and love them a lot.

I went to Supersonic in 2006, that was a cool festival that I thought nobody else had ever heard of (though apparently it's still going so it must have some following). Saw Michael Gira, Isis, High on Fire, Thrones, Justin Broadrick and I don't even recall all who else. Couldn't afford a hotel so we slept in the park one night and next to the merch stands another.

Thanks for the heads up on the new Mogwai!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

I missed my granny's funeral to go to Supersonic '08. Genuinely the most pleasant festival experience I've ever had, just such an interesting selection of bands, incredibly chill atmosphere, in a great venue.

Far as I remember I ended up in a Eurohotel halfway across Brum, shared with my cousin & it was about £20 a night. Even paying for a minicab on the way back it was far cheaper than anywhere else.

Yeah, it had a really nice feel, reminded me of this community social centre/arts & music venue I went to sometimes at uni that used to put on these bizarre shows with BYOB or tinnies sold out of multipacks and cheap vegan food. I saw Bong play there before they'd released anything, playing between a couple harsh noise acts. Long since closed due to licensing issues (maybe not so surprising given the above), and surely nothing to do with the expensive new flats being developed nearby. Temples Festival in Bristol had a bit of that vibe, though on a larger scale. Sad that that all ended badly, I went in 2015 and it was fantastic.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

multijoe posted:

We don't have one now lol

Wondering which party actually sitting in Commons has the most left platform just now. Maybe Plaid Cymru?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

Dunno if Charles Stross has done anything terrible???

He wrote some pretty questionable sex scenes but you already knew he's a scifi author so.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

CoolCab posted:

i'm trying to figure out if they're better carbon consumption than beef, first. i feel like it's a solid maybe?

There's no real quality control on orphan meat, no guidelines on rearing conditions, hygiene or humane slaughter, and you have no idea of their provenance and health. Until orphan farms are properly regulated I'd stick to orphan meat alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

she was just basically wrong, but at great length

Ah, which D&D threads does she post in?