Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
So is the economy good or not? One day it's "don't believe your lying eyes, all these metrics indicate the economy is better than ever", the next day it's "support this war, it'll make the economy better!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

After Biden’s casualty-figure remarks, some administration appointees began to consider resigning, but, as that same person put it: “That’s one news cycle. Then what?” That person said they and others had spent years working inside the Democratic machine for better representation of their communities and that this wasn’t the time for “ceding ground.”
doesn't representation go both ways? if these people feel their community needs to be part of this administration, they're signing their community on to the administration's goals by staying. is it really worth it to have a seat at the table if having a seat means condoning evil?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
so if this project 2025 poo poo is so awful, then surely the dems have their own long-brewing plan to use the federal government to achieve their own policy goals, right? let me see that plan. surely competent political operatives wouldn't have been sleeping at the wheel this whole time

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if not voting for biden helps trump, it sounds like the dems should have picked a better candidate than biden

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://i.imgur.com/BuJTKIV.mp4 i'm still mad about carville going on msnbc on super tuesday saying that the goal was blocking sanders

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

smug jeebus posted:

What is with everyone dressing like Kevin Smith

he does that poo poo all the time. he's outrageously wealthy but he dresses like that for media appearances so he looks less like a dem party elite

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that gets me about the "it's only logical and pragmatic to vote for Biden" argument is that, even if you accept the premise that Biden is truly the net lesser evil (which is itself nonsense), the core logic itself fundamentally makes no sense. It's basically saying "not helping Biden = helping Trump." But where do you draw that line? If you choose not to donate $50 to Biden, you are increasing Trump's chances of winning (at least using the same twisted logic as "not voting for Biden helps Trump"). And if you donate $50, you're basically saying that donating $100 is too much to defeat Trump. Hell, the "if you don't donate to Biden you're helping Trump" argument is actually more coherent than the "if you don't vote for him" one, since voting has literally zero chance of accomplishing anything in most places.

just uno reverse it. tell them that by not helping trump, you're helping biden.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Srice posted:

I'm reminded of how during the 2020 primaries, polling showed that a not insignificant chunk of primary voters believed that Biden supported M4A even though the slightest amount of scrutiny would show otherwise.

if you ever brought up biden's opposition to M4A online you'd get someone going "he never said he'd veto it" when anyone with a brain cell knows "I'll have to take a look at how much it costs if the bill hits my desk" means "i'm veto'ing that poo poo"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Joementum posted:

maybe people on TikTok think Biden is senile because they're watching videos of him, Will

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1721172897903820941

why's he focusing on "young people" so much when it's 60%+ for anyone under 65? there isn't a single age breakdown with a majority saying "Yes"! sounds like he's just mad at tiktok and wanted an excuse to yell about it

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

i'm the idiot for noticing hypocrisy and thinking it matters but i remember "trump orbit people would buy the rights to negative stories just to squash them" being a big deal in 2015/2016

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Don't you love it when the administration's defence is "we are gullible rubes"?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Excelzior posted:

"but what about ukraine?"

"uk-what?"

"Yeah I guess it rains in the UK, but what does that have to do with our funding bill?"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

combined with the issue of abortion, voters may end up seeing things differently.
scotus told the country they were shitcanning abortion a month ahead of the ruling and the dems sat on their hands, is that really the issue they want to stand on?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
You see, I'm right! I'm clearly right. The only possible reason someone might disagree with me is because they don't understand my flawless reasoning. If someone thinks I'm wrong, this must be my own failure to communicate my obvious correctness. If i just slow down and explain myself better, everyone will finally understand just how right I am. I'm being gracious and magnanimous by taking the time to do this.

the pepe silvia part of my brain has a hunch there's a connection to mid-00s era forum fights about atheism to be made here but I suspect they're both manifestations of the same ideology rather than causally linked phenomena

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i want a small tent, please. this one's too big.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

hillary clinton went full terf on "women need to feel safe in the bathrooms" but everyone pretends it didnt happen lol

wasn't even twenty years ago the official Dem position was opposing equal marriage rights

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
If VAN dies will I finally stop getting added to every Dem campaign's mailing lists

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

fits my needs posted:

https://x.com/NBCNews/status/1724389243726737697?s=20

this shits funny because theyve cleared up the homeless and set up security barriers and poo poo to do all this.
i feel ive read articles accusing china of doing similar stuff in the past framed as dystopian tactics of the communist party.

North Korea too

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
they should make their own American Pope and American Vatican. Reject the Roman Catholics, embrace the American Catholics.

i guess that's just Episcopalianism, right?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DreamWorks face rear end president

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mags posted:

what idiocy does a sunflower emoji in the username signify on x the everything app

looks like "support for ukraine"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Does the Abe assassination even count as terrorism? He was a lone gunman with a very specific beef. Political violence sure, but terrorism seems like a stretch.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if regular people are aware of the grievances other countries have with the USA they might start asking the country to change what it's doing

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

Then, Doanld Trump came along and picked the lock.
that dastardly Doanld

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
So the first Judis and Texeira argument was "demography is destiny", that certain demographics were soon going to be the majority and those demographics were Dem-aligned, thus the Dems would be winning forever without lifting a finger. Their second argument is that those same new demographics, that made the Dems permanent winners of politics, are now also driving the Dems away from winning because their opinions are too toxic for the country to stomach.

So which is it? They can't both be right. If they were so wrong the first time, why should we trust they got it right this time?

yes i know theyre just spinning fairy tales into book sales

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i really wish polls would give you an option for "Neither" instead of "Red Team/Blue Team/Unsure"

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Genocide Joe? Bombin' Brandon!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
"Why not protest the Republicans?" strikes me as an especially stupid retort because that kind of nonviolent protest, to me, is a hopeful action. You protest the people you think can be convinced. People protest the Dems because they think the Dems might agree with their position. Saying "Go protest Republicans instead" is telling us they can't be convinced.

Edit: Cleaned up the wording, realized I was accidentally implying protest was bad/pointless. Protests are good.

SixteenShells has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Nov 19, 2023

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

loquacius posted:

I'd say "you're only allowed to push them left by asking very politely in contexts and channels where nobody of any consequence will ever hear you" but no they hate that too

there's still the occasional person with a donut emoji in their profile name on twitter

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
You want to take the voting bus to Public Option Street? That would be highly disrespectful to the bus driver and everyone who pulled the cord to stop at Affordable Care Boulevard.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
If not voting for Biden is a vote for Trump, then a vote not for Trump is a vote for Biden. I'm implicitly voting for Biden by not voting Trump.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i dont think actively being in prison should remove your right to vote, so sure, let someone under indictment run for president.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

if the president is going to get a huge opinion piece published in a major newspaper, they should have to write it themselves. i dont believe for a second he did more than glance at the draft his staff sent for approval

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
this nation's strategy for saving lives is slapping a "do not use on civilians" mattress tag on our bombs

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Nothus posted:

Can you imagine the freakout this would have caused if it happened under Trump

I remember it being a huge outrage when Trump signed all those "safe third country" agreements and also made it harder to get asylum if you entered the country without a visa. I think the Biden admin even let some of those agreements lapse right after he took office to much fanfare? And now it turns out Biden made it all worse. But he did it with Decorum, I guess. He didn't post about it on Twitter and bring attention to it.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

"focus on" this, "focus on" that, come on. that's the same bullshitting language I use when I'm trying to save face about why I'm behind at work

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

Another three administration officials, including one senior official during an on-record interview, said that working to secure the release of hostages, and pause the fighting for four or five days, was simply necessary as Israel’s retaliation against Hamas for the Oct. 7 attack has devastated Gaza and sparked a humanitarian crisis.
"devastated Gaza and sparked a humanitarian crisis" is making me furious

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

My favorite thing about all of this 'Project 2025' horseshit is that it reveals a motivated faction could just take over the civil service to do whatever insane thing they want but for some reason that power can only ever be used for evil

And it's not like this came out of nowhere. "Ratfucked" came out in 2016 and made rounds in the normie lib spaces, and I'm pretty sure the Federalist society never made much of a secret of their plans before that. The Dems have never seemed to care or make counter plans before now.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Lmfao the pinned tweet

https://twitter.com/trouble_man90/status/1480653763392253952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Sydin posted:

quote:

In fact, from 2015 to 2021, more than half of the country saw their disposable income increase relative to the prior year. But with inflation and the disappearance of covid aid, that number has flipped.

not sure the Dems should be drawing favorable connections to that time period during a presidential race, but i'm not a well-paid strategist