Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A democrat party always has a big donkey piñata but instead of candy it just has vouchers that you can turn in to get a discount on the sales tax at the cash bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

You start out in 2016 by saying, “succ, succ, succ.” By 2021 you can’t say “succ”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh backtracking in goals is bad, means testing is reductive, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about Impeachment ftv, and all these things you’re talking about are totally pointless things and a byproduct of them is the working poor get hurt worse than wine moms.… “We want to reassess unaccompanied child detainees,” is much more abstract than even the kids in cages, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “succ, succ".

And that's good

:golfclap:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Neernie Tanders

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I love she'll! they're good!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Article is paywalled and the headline makes me question what Mr. Vox is getting at, but the tweet itself isn’t exactly wrong

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why did liberals glob onto progressive anyway, the original progressive movement was largely Republican

I feel like it came out of the daily kos Democratic Party blogger scene in the second bush term, or at least that’s where if first remember seeing it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Wait what? That sounds like a profoundly bad idea

It was an exception so they could make Lloyd Austin defense secretary despite him not being retired for three years or whatever the requirement is. Mattis got one too. It’s not a great trend to be setting but honestly less troublesome than Austin’s Raytheon employment

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Philosophically I think it’s possible to make abstract arguments in favor of intervention that hold up academically. But that’s really just professional fart sniffing and ignores the fact that it is fundamentally impossible for the US to intervene in a way that is beneficial because the motives and the goals of US intervention are inherently formed around maintaining imperial hegemony. Don’t ever trust anyone who argues that the intervention could have been done right, because it’s going to be based on some fantasy that the US will value something other than what it always values. That fantasy is based on either naivety or obfuscation

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I think it was dumb as hell and served no purpose. Much like us doing poo poo in Syria would have been. I very much believe that intervention in Syria would have gone poorly, particularly with the Bush or Obama administration managing it, but to me there are plausible reasons for someone to feel otherwise that are more believable than ”being paid by the CIA to promote US intervention to super online podcast listeners."

Keep in mind that Robert Evans, Professional Conflict Tourist isn’t taking direct payments from the CIA in exchange for talking points. He’s being paid by Bellingcat and iHeart and taking a paycheck and also editorial oversight and maybe having conversations with more experienced and senior people he trusts.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think MSNBC has always been this dogshit. It seems way way worse since the Trump era began.

Remember when Olbermann was their big star lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

Is Evans the dude who does behind the bastards?

Didn't he film a bunch of blm protesters this past summer and include their faces?

Yeah that’s him and yeah he did and I believe he made some kind of “I understand their point but journalism is important so no I won’t stop” kind of response

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

to be clear tho, gwb did majorly gently caress up the invasion of iraq. tho its more accurate to blame rumsfield. sayin its his greatest crime tho. lol

I’m not sure that they really did gently caress it up — at least not from the perspective of the people way up on top. The oil has mostly flowed, the US has justified maintaining its presence, regional adversaries have been greatly destabilized. It’s been an endless money sink, sure, but who’s hands has that money gone into? Lots of dead soldiers but not enough to spark Vietnam levels of domestic unrest.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

obama genocided the people of yemen and obliterated the country of libya, but he opposed the iraq war when he had absolutely no decision making power over it!

poo poo Biden didn’t even have to disavow it, he just made some weak statement that he voted for it because he secretly opposed it and nobody really cared enough to hold that against him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dolphin posted:

hypothetically a good country that wanted a better world might be able to pull off a humanitarian intervention. liberals believe the united states is this sort of country but we just kinda flub it in an oopsie doodle sort of way

Yeah it’s impossible to look at the track record and expect anything different. Anyone arguing for US intervention is selling a fantasy, naive or cynical does it really matter?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

the cia doesn't need to be careful about how they invest because they have infinite money

While true, nobody in the intelligence community is directly paying Bobby Evans, Professional Conflict Tourist, any money and he isn't getting daily briefings or marching orders or anything. He works for Bellingcat and iHeart where he gets mentorship and editorial oversight and has conversations with people he respects and who fill his head with certain ideas, stuff filters down and it's probably part of why his worldview is borderline incoherent

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eggplant Squire posted:

Outlets that specifically refer to themselves as fact checkers basically exist to just launder their bad editorials with a term that makes you look like a conspiracy theorist if you disagree. The pinnochio guy from WAPO basically just shits out whatever is in his empty skull without bothering to cite things.

We rate this post four Pinocchios. Mr. Kessler’s skull clearly contains both a brain and a healthy amount of cerebrospinal fluid. Were this not the case then Mr. Kessler would be incapable of fact checking.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yinlock posted:

I want so badly for a reporter to somehow ambush biden to ask him this directly, because there's no loving way his answer isn't vile as hell

“If you believe her then vote for the other guy”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

if franken had just not resigned the shitlibs would have concluded that those women were all lying republican infiltrators or something along those lines within a couple of weeks

They pretty much landed there anyway and the photo was just a joke you see

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

The Pinocchio guy from WAPO is also a former State reporter and member of the council on foreign relations

Check this poo poo out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-and-education/

and key measures such as cars per person, Cuba plummeted from the top ranks to as low as 20th place. That came at a cost, even though Cubans are well educated

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I've been rubbernecking it out of morbid curiosity lately and a dude seemed to unironically claim they were waiting to pull the trigger on nuking the filibuster until it was time to pass the GND and I too quit reading it

Not even detached from reality. Actively hostile toward reality

A lot of folk over there also seem pretty convinced 2022 going to go well for the blue team despite neither history nor expected redistricting likely to be favorable for them

I don’t know where the confidence comes from but these people clearly have long memories and can toss out all kinds of facts about what happened 4/6/8/10 years ago but somehow lack the ability to recognize patterns or to apply any of those things they’ve observed to any kind of predictive metric other than “gonna be different this time yo”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Somewhere right now P*ck is miserable and looking for evidence to post in QCS to get us banned for this crime that’s been done to Neera the loser

Yeah, it actually sucks and it's kind of telling who's celebrating this.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pretty cool that Texas was the first US state to adopt the unanimous consent model of direct democracy!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

why is Jake Tapper so hard for me to say

i want to say Jack Tapper, or Jake Taper

pick an A sound Jake, and stick with it

:same:

I just can't not call him Jack, no matter how hard I try, it just comes out

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Don't even think Biden pulled it. She withdrew.

Hard to say for sure. She might have withdrawn because Biden told her he was going to stop pushing her and it’s better for both of them if she withdraws than if he drops her

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

romanowski posted:

some might say this is dumb and disrespectful

A fitting tribute then

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1367541838488489988

hold up, if they're now drawing a distinction between "Trump's check" as only being 600 dollars, and "Biden's check" as being 1,400 dollars, and that therefore Biden's is better because it's larger despite getting to fewer people, that means it was never "the same check" where the 600 combines with the 1,400 to become 2,000 dollars and therefore fulfilling the promises made during the Georgia elections.

I spent more time reading your post then they did thinking about what they were saying

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

How many races has Charlie Crist lost since he changed to a democrat? Three? Governor, senator, house? Am I missing any?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm personally ok with the progressive movement just kind of retreating from Florida until we figure out what the hell is going on the boomers all die off further notice

Science knowers probably can answer this but I’ve always been fascinated by the St. John’s rivers and how it doesn’t just break out into the ocean hundreds of miles before it’s mouth. I always wonder how much sea level rise or maybe a big enough hurricane might just wipe out the whole river and I feel like that would be pretty bad for Florida’s ag sector no?

Edit: I have no idea why I quoted your post for this pointless rambling btw

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Take a gander at turnout along the Texas border if you want an idea about how Blue Texas is going.

Lmao at all the people who decided that was just the voters there hating women

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bideo James posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1368003933709467648?s=20

anyone want to speculate why this video is in slowmo?

Lol why is Joe wearing the disposable blue mask like he’s some old gently caress in Safeway that had to get a free one at the front door

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

loving lol, it's not stimulus if it just get seized for debt payment from the people that need it the most.

Creditors have to make their lease payments on their Teslas and pay off their cc bill from their last vacation to wherever Americans can still travel to so who are you define "need it the most"?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Goddamn, what a loser Flavuis is.

Ruthkanda forever :pressf:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t know why anyone would even want to talk about concentration camps in this thread which is dedicated to discussing early-2000s mmorpg dark age of Camelot

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Squizzle posted:

snopes rates this “true”

fishmech is both a girl and the embodiment of fyi

Honestly completely surprises me not because I'm one to police gender on the internet, but because Fishmech was always so loving eager to correct everyone about everything and I never once saw her correct somebody about her gender

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Lmao she 10000% is doing this because "Kamala ought to be enough for you people" is the most infuriating thing in the entire universe and it appears to be the Biden's response to loving everything. TDucks just got a taste of it for the first time.

It's also really dumb if she doesn't have names of people she wants, because right now her demand is as easily fulfilled by Dinesh D'souza or Tulsi Gabbard as anyone she actually wants there

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'm not sure what exactly "democrat party" is supposed to be a dogwhistle for.

It's obviously just said because democrats don't like it and it gets under their skin. that's not what a dogwhistle is though. democrat party is just a petty insult lol

It’s a pretty sly insult in that any normal human being isn’t going to understand why the recipient is so irritated by it but that’s as much because it’s a stupid thing to find insulting as anything else

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

To be honest I think she probably just got loving blindsided by "Kamala lol" and raged out without much of a plan, which, frankly, is the right response to these loving assholes.

Fair enough, that’s a good point

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raiad posted:

three pinocchios, while harris worked to protect the conditions with which modern day slavery could continue to function, she herself did not own slaves

MOSTLY FALSE

What’s True

Kamala Harris advocated to keep people in bondage to make use of their compelled labor.

What’s False

The practice is not called slavery but instead referred to as incarceration

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Excelzior posted:

The thirteenth specifically allowed slavery "as a punishment for crime". It's not something else, prison labor is literally slavery.

e: should've refreshed, beaten by majorian

Yes that is a compelling counter argument but have you considered that was the whole point of the joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hey what happened to Net Neutrality? You know that thing that thing the FCC struck down in 2018 that was a huge deal? Has Biden restored it?

Nobody in power wants net neutral anymore. They want intense content moderation that is best achieved by massive tech companies controlling everything