Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
looking forward to this after that really bad psp port that had the awful sound compression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that really bad psp port with the awful compression is still the better game :colbert:

the audio on it was so awful it made it flat unenjoyable so im not sure i could ever agree. i was looking forward to it after last playing FES back when it came out and it just destroyed it for me

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
koromaru running around in a circle on walks before the little satisfaction flower thing popped up is the only one i remember

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
are you trying to make people ITT feel old

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell.

ill have u know i was blasting aliens in Save New York in 1986 on my Commodore 64 and i dont have to take this age slander

also looking forward to release here, been a while

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mailer posted:

I never healed, but I also didn't scour the overworld beforehand for loose fragments, so I was (at least on my generated run) at zero by the end and had only missed a single two-fragment chest. The two 3s I opened were both weapons, Poison Bow for Yukari and... some sword for me. I'm not sure if the breakable statue things containing fragments respawn randomly like the others, but with how many repeats I did I suspect not.

They do, I found a fresh random one in a subsequent reclear. They just seem very rare.

I got one in my first real Tartarus run and when I came back to finish the highest floor I went back to lower floors to burn off the rest of my sp loot hunting and ran into another shard breakable container

Sloober fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 3, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
God I forgot he w much Kenji sucked, he's sitting at rank 2 j have zero will to hang out

Enjoy getting ghosted daily . Im too busy hanging out with a drunk monk or a shady TV host or eating a bowl of ramen or whatever. Buying dr. Salts takes up the whole afternoon

E. Arqa looks great. my only complaint is yeah the dorm lounge looks like it's got floodlights in it but whatever

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Stux posted:

it does. problem?

I'm gonna shoot all those lights out

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

drat Priestess got hands on Merciless.

Beat her with 1:11 left. Great way to remake the fight.

I took her out so fast because I did a fusion that had a skill evolve into arrow rain and lemme tell you that is a powerful skill for level 10. Never saw what hit her

Flowing Thot posted:

I like that Slink because getting way into an MMO and flirting with an older man / woman is an essential 2000's MMO experience.

Venting to people you know online is pretty classic MMO experience

Sloober fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 4, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I played through most of the weekend because I didn't have anything else to do, genuinely very much enjoyed the qol stuff, especially the cell phone emails because I will never memorize anybody schedules.

I finished the beach thing and honestly, the last encounter was kind of funny because of what they turned it into. Bits of it have come back to me so I have caught some of the writing changes

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

I don't know if the arcade is better, but I ate hamburgers every night and I'm at 5/6 in every social stat at the beginning of summer break.

looking around online it looks like 2 notes can be either 2 or 3 points of a stat, so i assume the arcade is 3 but well, you know what they say about assuming. i think the only stat this distinguishment matters with is academics since it takes so much more than the other two stats and the extra point can add up by the time you're maxed out (a post i found says courage is 80 max, charm 100 to max, and academics is 230) As a reminder dont forget to go to the school nurse the day after going to tartarus for the free/timeless courage point

Lunar Suite posted:

e: where's the Reaper to kick my poo poo in for loving about his tower?

well he's hanging around higher in the tower

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like that you can buy darkweb URLs at the club now that tell you illegal things like "the vending machine display is broken" little dumb things for small benefits ftw.

i need more 4pacs

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 5, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Why did the Reaper show up after like 30 seconds on one floor?

sometimes it just do be like that. hes not much of a threat if it takes a long time to show up

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the only thing i offer for 'optimize' is dont waste an evening studying in your room

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Adrianics posted:

Absolutely loving P3R so far, am about four hours in. New presentation, new music, new style, new VAs and new/revamped music are all fire. I wish shifting came with bonuses like baton pass did but love the presentation of it anyway.

Hearing the bookstore couple with voice acting was :3:, I worry that Sun and Hanged Man will wreck me.

My only real issue is after two hours of grinding in Tarturus and smashing every last one of those statues I didn't get a single twilight shard, literally not a single one?? So there were so many treasure chests I had to leave unopened, how lame.

i pretty much just open 2-shard chests since boots and accessories come out of them, and thats where you find the poo poo like mages mark. Sometimes i open the 3 stars on miniboss levels b/c the gear out of them sometimes pops up on elizabeth requests, but i also try to keep like 20 shards minimum and dont always open chests on subsequent block clears, but that's mostly a me thing since "i cleared it once i'm not going to need this stuff anymore and i can buy better stuff after the full moon".

I just got koromaru and boy he's very strong with both the fire/dark damage options and its so much nicer to have another dark source than the MC. And my god the temperance major arcana card is really loving good (maybe it's a different one but there's one that gives you a 2nd shuffle pick. insane). And i kind of like how the MC gets theurgies from having random sets of personas created since its a nice way to get me to fuse more than i usually do

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 6, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HaB posted:

So uh...

what is going on with the RNG in this game? I'm following a guide, and for my first actual trip into Tartar Sauce, I was to:

- reach Floor 22
- reach level 12
- have at least 40k yen in goods to sell (which I kinda had to guess at)
- leave with: Ara Mitama, Omoikane, Forneus, and Pixie.

The latter point is where the trouble starts. In some 3+ hours of running up and down from 5-22, Ara Mitama appeared once. Never saw Forneus or Omoikane. My Pixie and Apsaras are both ridiculously overleveled from finding so many of them. I ended up just fusing for Forneus/Omoikane, but man - the drops were so wierdly skewed that it stood out. Of the Persona cards I saw, aside from the one Ara Mitama, I'd guess it was 50% Apsaras, 40% pixie and the rest were Angel/Silky.

Is this like the RNG in Souls games, where if it knows you are trying to get something to drop it will definitely NOT drop it?

Am I also missing something with Twilight Fragments? This morning, I actually got 3 in one hour long session, but before that? Pretty sure I never got more than 3 total the entire time. Is my luck just that bad? 7 for a Heal seems like a lot when I can't even afford 3 to open a chest. I am breaking all the breakable things.

So do Twilight Fragments become more common as I go up?

following a guide sounds really annoying, but i would hazard if you're having issues getting personas to drop you may want to simply fuse them instead of spending a really long time on a tart grind, you can look up formulas for making them. and yeah, shards are not common in tartarus. i've gotten maybe 10 and i'm quite a bit farther.

If your guide is 100% including personas you're gonna have to fuse for the vast majority of them anyway

e. i just read an article comment about how someone was upset 'western localizers' ruined the story in P3R only to find out they were specifically upset that the finale of the beach scene got changed

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 7, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

It's not even a localization change. The Japanese text is changed also.

look don't tell these weird dipshits that play to get away from real life and dont' want politics or messages inserted into their games about magical teenagers that summon magic monsters by shooting themselves

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I just pretend i'm the protagonist and follow my gut every day. It's really fun; you don't need to see all the stuff.

Although I could see using a guide on a subsequent playthrough. I don't know what I'm going to do with P3R. I did play the PSP version, and did it in my usual way. If I do that now, I wonder if I'd end up doing all the same stuff. I still just want to hang with my bro stupei.

subsequent playthroughs are much easier in the persona remakes because NG+ lets you keep your social stats which frees up a significant amount of time and lets you unlock some links far earlier

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Oh that's pretty sick.

just be sure to save a clear file when you beat it and you can pick it back up without that annoyance. There's usually other bonuses like carrying over money and persona compendium too but those are whatever and you can still limit your gameplay in a way that those don't really come into play

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Because he changes over the course of the game, yes. That's the entire point.

The dude literally begins as a Plain Timid Slacker with no friends, seemingly no relatives or close relations, and who is so dull to life he has no problem picking up a gun and shooting himself in the head without any of the fear expressed by the others. Over the course of the game he gets better and gets more connections and improves himself.

hes got main character syndrome, its terminal

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I don't buy this at all when you don't get inconvenienced at all at any point in the game. You never have to prove yourself in a non generic stat way that has anything to do with your reputation in the narrative.

your inconvenience is people calling you a delinquent all the time which maybe hurts your feelings, as the player

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It hurt my feelings op.

im sorry have you considered going to the sauna or washing some dirty clothes you beat out of some personas

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

yeah because a minor deity appeared to him personally and told him that he has superpowers now and their strength and the fate of the world depends directly on how many friends he has

this also explains his range of responses from reasonably friendly if subdued to "i don't care" to "the world depends on me telling you what you want to hear so yes, kenji, your teacher DOES want to gently caress you" to "sorry kaz but the world is more important than your cartilage"

the minor deity gave the MC the means to fully realize his lust for power. the mc is therefore ambitious and power hungry

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

If they wanted to be realistic they should have "telling kaz insane poo poo" result in a short-term gain, that later turns into a giant reversal when Kaz realizes that he has permanently crippled himself with your support

prefacing every hangout with kaz with "i am not a doctor" to give myself a terms and conditions for accepting my encouragement

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*boldly* no persona game has particularly good slinks compared to like literally any VN

gross

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
with how rare SP stuff is i feel like part of the struggles some people have is being unwilling to use SP recovery items, esp. earlier on, ive been significanly more liberal with item use this time around and honestly the game is just way easier w/ it

fwiw later soul drops start appearing in destructibles relatively semi-commonly, also it has always seemed like the next dungeon section after you get a companion is tailored to make that companion kick rear end. oh you just got a fire/dark dog, well , everything is weak to fire or dark (mostly dark) now.

I'm enjoying the monad door stuff as another little side challenge, altho the 2nd 'monad dungeon' has some real dicks in it

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, Mara is a late game Persona

you son of a bitch!!!!!

(i cant way to make him)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
id have more respect for tanaka if he reprised his roll as the devil arcana in P4 & P5 like some kind of permanently hosed up snake oil salesman only the main character can fix

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
on the topic of statuses, it's kind of annoying how many things end up using the fear/wail combo later on

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

What's everyone's favorite -sona?

Mine's Kikuri-hime, love her big ear-pad things

Siegfried but only because I accident him into being good. Mine now has crit boost, crit amp, slash amp, auto-crit buff, death bound and brave blade and he clears most fights with one deathbound unless they're slash immune. He's like 80 with 90 strength or whatever and enough agi to go first.

Mothman comes in second because of the juxtaposition of his silly facial expression and his little phrase being WHO AM I slapped over it in the persona selection screen.

Also don't sleep on software because uhh your sneak attack ambush gets , shall we say, really good.

Now that I'm nearing the end it's very funny to cross the devil major arcana card and a dark level because it works on Twilight shard destructibles.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Artelier posted:

Guys. GUYS. The Shuffle Time Major Arcana that lets you choose another reward can stack

It sure can.
It sure can

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

it can be pretty funny to look through personas and see what little phrase is over them

Stux posted:

idk she just keeps buffing me. i basically only get the sp one when i dont even need/want it at like half sp after ive used some items and have nearly finished a block lol

i've tried a variety of ways like full health etc but it's party heat riser most of the time, honestly my sp problems have stopped since i mostly do physical in fights, and yukaris extra abilities can get heals down to 25% cost so yeah 5 sp diarahan. Shuffles arent as common but fights end so easily and quickly that i can brute force it eventually. im getting towards the end now and i've never used a clock, typically i just trade out party members. Twilight shards are common enough that i generally have plenty to open chests, plus that's how you get the leveling clocks. i've got enough personas with life aid and poo poo that the MC has endless SP

the items you can make from persona items are extremely strong towards endgame and can have some rather unique properties (ignore resistance, for example) so if a persona has a unique drop item that's not just a soul driblet or something it's worth getting them. i keep a bunch of growth skill cards on hand so i dont have to think about it and can just slap that on one

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 12, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Stux posted:

femc isnt in because she isnt real. this release is only canon stuff. you got the ai upscale thing, and its all you deserve

i got it and played it a bit but man the static, awful, lovely audio destroyed it so i never finished

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Arist posted:

Why would it matter if something is canon in the first place. Canon is fake. It's all fake.

does canon matter if you dont play any of the like 20 offshoots tbh

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Junpei posted:

do you think that Reload's new battle mechanics like non-skill-list passives and Theurgy, and probably more in Metaphor, are being used to seed ground/test things out for shake-ups in Persona 6/SMT 6/etc?

they already had nonskill list passives in P4/5 with the party social links giving benefits in combat. i dunno if it adds a whole lot of variety, the theurgy stuff is interesting but also just a 'i would be mostly useless in this combat otherwise' feel to me, or 'i dont want to figure out what element works on this golden hand'

related i have like 6 theurgies on the MC and so far the most useful was the pyrojack/jack frost almighty/high knockdown one b/c you can get it pretty early, and another that uses siegfried/uhh guy that is growing out of a rock that is a group massive slash damage since it, apparently, benefits from having slash amp on your active persona. it does like 3k for me

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

yukari gets like half a bar from using media once, though. for me i'm able to use hers like 3-4 times as often as anyone else's

that will change as soon as you play some edutainment games

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Artelier posted:

Endgame P3R optional request question: Is the Elizabeth fight worth doing? And by "worth" I guess I mean how obtuse are the mechanics because I just tried it and she basically instakilled me constantly so I assume I broke some "rule" of the fight.

Also does it give a super nice (and probably unnecessary) reward?

well only worth it if you want 100% or whatever b/c if you can beat her you definitely don't need the reward

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
finished it last night in sort of a rush since i was itching to just complete it

overall i can't say i could tell you what's different between it and p3p & p3fes beyond the obvious graphical stuff as it has been too long since i really played. i beat nyx fairly easily with just brave blading him to death outside of the one phase that had phys. resistance, which mitsuru just diamond dusted through in one hit. the game suffers a bit from being too long for me - i think that's sort of a hazard of just getting way too powerful towards the end, and at least in this one, the lack of really anything to do in january for the first 1/3rd of it since the only links available are the night time ones and sometimes star.

i still enjoyed most of it, i liked how the blocks got revised to all be different in ways other than whatever texture was slapped on them, altho the funky block felt like i was like 8 years old in chuck e cheese back in the days of yore. I felt like there was a clear disparity between the usefulness of major arcanas, with devil and the +draws being clear winners. this is fine, they do not all have to be super powered, honestly, the only must-get one to me felt like devil since you nearly double the drop resources from monsters and you double them from destructibles. (i got a dark floor and got like 20 twilight shards). i didn't max every social link since i dont follow guides and simply do not care if i do or not.

I got most of the bonus stuff for characters, some of them are forgettable bonuses, some of them are quite good (junpei getting +crit and + crit damage, for example) and some of them are forgettable enough that i dont remember what they are. koromaru's was lowkey useful for dealing with golden hands and their dodgyness earlier in the game

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Arist posted:

See, that's interesting to me, because even just from FES Junpei is one of the most compelling party members in the series. He's often kind of lovely and jealous, obviously, but the Chidori stuff was legit probably the strongest material in the game to me. He's wrong a lot, but there's a clear compassion behind it, and he has a clear perspective that even after his second awakening continues to inform his character.

One of the most interesting scenes in the whole game for me is in December when Yukari (in an attempt at lightening the mood) teases him about being scared and he flips out because no one is taking their situation seriously and of course he's scared. The reason that scene works so well for me is because both characters are wrong. Junpei has a point, that Yukari is taking this too lightly, but also, Junpei is arguing that they should just give up. The only other character beat in the modern series I can think of that has anywhere near as much juice is in 4 when Yosuke, thinking Nanako is dead, argues to push Namatame into the TV, still clearly hung up over Saki's death. That scene is a lot more dramatic and climactic, but also Yosuke is used so often as an instrument for lovely comedy that parts of it don't work as well as they might've.

I also really like Junpei's Social Link in the female route, he's got a great dynamic with the protagonist. My main problem with his character might legitimately be that he's several times more interesting than several other party members.

e: that said, if your point was just that it's more enjoyable that his voice actor isn't a horrible criminal now, uh, yeah, I agree

the only guys i didn't really care for at all was akihiko and ken mostly because akihiko felt kind of bland and something about ken just really annoyed me. but that's me, the type of Gamer that finds a character annoying just once or twice and then benches them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

shaking my dang head at these cowards who won't let me enroll my dog in high school take my dog to the movies

ftfy

i started an NG+ game of P5R and lemme tell ya it's pretty funny having millions of yen and maxed social stats at the start. i dont plan on using all my old gear tho. just the persona catalog is enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

However, I've also found out that almighty moves ignore barriers (it won't remove them, but you'll still get hit).

I think Yukari's main benefit over Ken is being able to heal status without needing to pop a Theurgy. Tranquility is nice, though more of a bonus than a main benefit like Divine Intervention. (Ma)Sukunda is also a nice perk that has its uses.

As an aside, does Mitsuru's personality only work if the opponent is under an actual status effect (like Confuse), or do debuffs like Rakunda count?

funny enough i abandoned the status cure abilities on characters as soon as i got the status cures from the pharmacy since you get relatively cheap group cures for every status but KO, and later on i was swimming with money so why worry about a specific character having cures when everyone's got them through the power of capitalism. really once you get devil major arcana money kinda just poofs as a problem