Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Brosnan posted:

It's the latter, unfortunately. If you don't have accommodations and everyone in the game world is asleep, there isn't really anything you can do to progress anymore, but the game doesn't pop up a "welp, Game Over I guess." Obviously, by the time this happens, you've had many hours of gameplay to find solutions to this problem, but it's a potential pitfall that's not handled especially well.

Edit: actually, I'm remembering that they may have added an actual screen for this, but it was after my playthrough. Maybe someone else who's encountered it can clarify.

Can't you just pass time on bench? Or is this because you can't get rid of Kim if you don't have a place to stay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It just finished. It's almost midnight. But it's easter vacation!!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfApYGIYs8

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 30, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

overeager overeater posted:

Setting the voiceover mode to "Psychological" under Settings will turn off the narration for the thoughts - a few actions and introductions are still narrated, but it makes it closer to the original

And the skills?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Klaasje as well. Kim's lines may have been re-recorded I think, it's the same guy I'm pretty sure but some of the first lines sound a little different.

e: drat. Half-Light's a pretty intense skill.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 30, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

New Cuno lacks the raw energy of old Cuno, at least for me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not recast the Oraanje (Oranjeers? Oraanjists?) with South African VAs.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pretty sure Measurehead's the same as the old VA.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

treat posted:

Is this confirmed? They generally weren't great in addition to being distracting.

I've never listened to that podcast so it wasn't distracting to me, I actually sort of liked the performance of whoever of them it was who played the scab leader. Though in general when you're going to have so many more voiced lines than before it's better to get actual actors to do it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

The game doesn't tell you a single thing about how the Thought Cabinet works or even what it is, I'm playing blind but I'd suggest looking up an explanation of that. Basically it's a combination research tree and customization menu? I guess? You decide which Thoughts to keep, they take time to "internalize", and give you bonuses and penalties.

You can also spend skill points to unlock slots (beyond the 3 you start with) and to clear a thought to make room for another.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Seems like you have to reenable hardcore mode each time you launch the game. At least on my end. Though it's easy to tell if it's on or not on the menu, because it changes the music.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RubberLuffy posted:

I've had it soft lock on both the Church scene and the Pigs scene, but force closing the game and relaunching let me get past them both.

Only issues I've had so far.

Yeah, I had a soft lock early on when I was checking out the halogen watermarks with the headlights. Loading up a save helped. These are bugs, but they are probably the fixable kind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Dunno if it’s just me but I’m not in love with the delivery of the guy who does the skills etc. His voice is fine but he keeps pausing at weird moments and I find it quite distracting

I was in your boat to begin with, but I've gotten very used to it, kind of like an audiobook.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Always roll them dice. Never look back.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm assuming going full communist is one of the better options but I wonder what happens if you choose ultra liberal or moralist?

Oh yeah, the communist thought is great

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

christmas boots posted:

OTOH you can also find a different way in that doesn't involve musing over the intellectual validity of phrenology and victorian race science for several hours.

Yeah, a friend of mine playing this for the frist time, told me he just roundhouse-kicked Measurehead and pushed the button which was different from what I did spending 3 skill points, 1 in perception, 2 in savoir-faire, and four attempts to make the jump from the roof

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

You can find other ways by him, yes. But "Harry spends far too long thinking about some really stupid poo poo that is going to help no one, especially himself" is kind of a running theme and it's not something to stress about either. If you don't do it, do it because you dont want to do it, not because you are worried about consequences.

I mean the point is that all of these are different ways of getting in and all of them are valid. For most problems and solutions in this game, if the one you originally had in mind doesn't work out initially you can try to find an alternative or you can keep trying and failing, spending time and skillpoints, both are very much in the spirit of the game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I was hosed in that regard. Couldn't make the jump or level savoir faire enough to make it and I lacked the physical skills to get by him.

I started off with savoir-faire at 2. Keep on rolling those dice.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

I wanna replay now that the final cut is out. on my first run i played as a depressed communist because i am unable to play another character than myself, so I wanna try something else. how well does Art Cop shake out? what i liked about playing a sad cop was that it felt very grounded and human, and i was a little afraid the sillier concepts would make the themes of the story less great.

Art Cop is great. I think it might also be one of the most powerful thoughts you can get.

e: Do all the ideologies have vision quests? I might go back to an earlier save and not discard ultraliberalism in that case (I'm a great hustler).

e2: How does the narrator pronounce wömen?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 2, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It actually says so in some of the loading screens, but I would like to say that drugs actually raise your learning caps for skills, meaning that if you have a skill point and have maxed out your points for that skill you can actually raise it one further, permanently, by doing drugs that raise the relevant attribute.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is Moralism the hardest of the ideologies to actually get points in to trigger the thought? In my first run I triggered the three others pretty early on, but only internalized the communism (and then replaced it later because it wasn't doing me much good), don't think I got close to getting the moralism thought. Hasn't happened in the new one yet either.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Wait what? The game let me Internalize 3 things before I even got my first skill point

I thought skill points were only required to unlock new SLOTS for the cabinet?

Yeah, you start with three unlocked and have to spend points to unlock more or forget thoughts you've already internalized, actually internalizing thoughts doesn't cost skill points, they just require a free slot in the cabinet.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I've been gunning for it and have had a similar experience. I'm near the end of the first day on my final cut playthrough and haven't had it trigger yet, even though I have passed up approximately one billion dialogue options for the others. My theory is the moralist options are so bland and unassuming that the eye simply rolls right past them

Honestly, with the flavor text (which I haven't seen in game) it makes a certain amount of thematic sense. Moralism is control. Over yourself and the world.

Also the not really having beliefs things, it's a precise and bland tightrope balancing act.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

loving score! Found 6 doses of speed in the back of the truck by the Paledriver Johnny loving Thundercop is back, baby!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Seems to be a couple of misplaced voice lines here and there, some lines for "man with sunglasses" are missing all together, all you hear is like a sound of a microphone turning off or something like that.

e: I think I counted ~4 straight up missing lines from the conversation with "man with sunglasses" in the Whirling, as I mentioned just plays a sound like a microphone turning off.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 2, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there anything special you have to do to initiate one of the political vision quests?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Goddamn, it really does feel lovely to get the old lady in the fishing village to agree to Evrart's real etate plan I know there is an alternative, I did it the first time, but my stats Logic is really low, and I already failed once.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

macabresca posted:

Which vision quest is activated by psyche? So far I got ultraliberal I think, which was motorics, and communist, which was intellect. Or is it random? Or does it depend on skills, not abilities?

Pretty sure it's Moralism, and the skill is Volition
read: I found the pants (though I might be misremembering the actual skill already).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 2, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wonder if anything about Klaasje's story besides having had nothing to do with killing the guy is true at all. When she opens up about her whole industrial espionage thing, she's just a little too forthcoming I think, exactly like earlier when she was selling you a load of bullshit and she kept doing it with throwing the Lady Driver under the bus as well

e: Related spoiler
By the way, how and when can I arrest her? I let her go the first time round (I might do it this time as well), but after confronting her when Titus told me the truth (on day 3 now) Kim, and Volition, heavily implies I should arrest her, but quickly looking through the dialogue options I can't seem to find a way to do it.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 3, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

christmas boots posted:

If you have a high Shivers and you arrest her, it’s basically confirmed that if nothing else, her fear that being arrested means she’ll be murdered is justified

Let me ask you then, when is it you can arrest her? Because I've come to a point where it very much seems like I should make that call, implied from both Kim and Volition that I should, but can't seem to do it, this is after you learn from Titus and her what actually happened and move on to investigating where the shot came from

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

EorayMel posted:

You need to pass two checks during her interrogation: First a Volition check[10 I think?] to look her in the eyes and make your skills say "I'm not compromised YOU ARE" and also make Volition call out Drama and then afterwards the second is a tougher Drama check[13] that makes Drama flip the gently caress out and overcorrect and says to arrest her because she is far too unreliable and scheming. Should be available after doing some back-and-forth bouncing questions between Titus and her.

Oh, yeah, I got both of those. I passed the Volition check, but haven't attempted the Drama one yet, thanks! My Drama is terrible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Like Volition says, mercy is rarely a mistake. She may have been involved with the victim and be a huge liar, but she didn't have anything else to do with the murder. Why arrest her?

Because it's possible (also I am the LAW) and I got a little bit suspicious that I might be running into a bug that locked me out, but the above answers cleared that up.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

scaterry posted:

Can anyone spoil what happens in the new vision quests? I can't find anything online :/

It's still only been out for a couple of days, so might take a little while to get detailed writetups. The fascism one was spoiled on the last page or so I think. I might very well do the ultraliberal one later today as it seems like that's where I'm going with this run, so I'll try to remember to take some screenshots and post a few details when I get to that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

drat, that's actually really funny. Also I've got some relatives who are a little bit like that.

scaterry posted:

:D Thanks, that's highly appreciated.

Now... if I can just get past the game soft locking on meeting the Pigs.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 3, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

macabresca posted:

1) I think I locked myself out of learning Measurehead's theory and my skills are too low to punch him or jump on the roof. Is there some other way to get to the harbour or do I just need to level up?

Yeah, you can just level up and try again (and again), I needed three attempts to make the jump in this run, and in my first run I messed around and didn't get the body down until the second day. It's all good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Starting out on the ultraliberalism vision quest now and it honestly seems to have a decent amount of synergy with Art Cop (which I went for again this time) and Conceptualization, at least starting out. It actually seems to fit my weird charater build somewhat well, 1 INT but Conceptualization as signature skill (and raised higher through drugs and items).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The ultraliberalism vision quest is pretty great.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

So is doing that how you get to talk to Sileng about net worth?

I'll make a short post about it when I'm done. I've been grabbing screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

weekly font posted:

In regards to the last page I always felt arresting Klassje is one of the most ultralib dipshit acts you could possibly pull.

You're confusing ultraliberlism with moralism here. Ultraliberalism is all about the hustle.

I love how the ideology thoughts (at least ultraliberalism and communism, haven't tried the other two) have this feedback loop effect to them that rewards you for spouting your beliefs.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 4, 2021