Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mjeff posted:

lol we're giving Roman credit for the show moving out of a loving closet and into the Thunderdome now? Wow.

When the segments get broken down a number of people seem to tune in when he's on and tune out when he's not. This is a low praise, lol I'm not trying to tell you not to hate the guy if you're so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

motherbox posted:

Second night was mostly garbage (particularly compared to the first, where every match other than Braun/Shane and the Women's Tag Team mess was very good), but I guess I'm not getting the hate for the main event, which was honestly pretty enjoyable? Maybe it would have been better to let Sasha and Bianca headline night two so that night two wasn't a series of heel wins and we could have gone home on the happy, feel-good moment, but Roman as a dominant heel has been good and Smackdown has a lot of rising faces to take a run at him (Cesaro and Big E both seem well-positioned, and they finally seem to notice that Cesaro actually exists, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up). In hindsight, the decision to put Bryan in the match is kind of a confusing one if you don't want him to win or eat the pin so Roman can lose the title without being pinned, but it makes sense if they wanted to hedge against Edge not being able to carry a full main event match on his own or if they just decided the three had good chemistry and wanted some variety on a card that was almost entirely singles matches. If they had stuck it on Edge it probably would have been in limbo until Summerslam and putting it on Bryan would have let him face...I dunno, Rollins? Him and Zayn would be fun I guess.

There are people here who hate EVERYTHING so if you want to like something I wouldn’t mind them. But, we are long past the point though where WWE has earned people being mad at it so I also don’t necessarily think it is worth it to try to dissuade them from their stance either.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There have been worse post mania Raws but that one might be the most boring.

Seams posted:

If WWE are fine with having big crowds at Wrestlemania why are they still shy about having crowds at Raw?

Who knows but it’s the only good thing WWE is doing.

Jiro posted:

The more and more I'm of the mind set that these people should get a month off after Mania. Just let them rest go home, everyone looks so burned out and everything was so loving sloppy. It sucks that in this business the only way you can really give yourself some time off is if you severely injure yourself.

On the other hand they choose to work for WWE, so I'm conflicted.

I used to be a proponent of a wrestling off season but the roster is so big now that just rotating some dudes away after Backlash would probably be enough (they kind of do anyway but they could go farther).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Phillips sounded very similar to Cole so it is understandable. The main difference is Cole is much more bought in to Vince’s buzzwords.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Chelsea Green was legit getting better on NXT but got promoted and that was that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Joe to Kaiju Big Battel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rarity posted:

How much longer can Shane take dumb bumps for until he realises his 50+ year old body can't handle it?

When Will Vince give him love?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Give it to Meltzer.

Every show starts with a rambling 30 minute promo by him except it's about what's going on in MMA or an in-depth biography of some territories wrestler. Greatest heel authority figure ever.

That is what would happen but the booked segment would be Gable vs Adam Cole and they would just have to stand there and wait for it to end to begin the match.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
As a farm owner, Bray should become a 50s-90s country bumpkin style character.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He teased the demon on the last takeover with the extended intro music but then just came out as him which I thought was cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry but saying that they made a mistake tying Candice to Johnny shows your massive bias. The Way is genuinely super entertaining and it's helped reinvent both of their characters when they were getting stale.

It really helps that despite bieng a comedy group now the matches are still mostly good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Orton/Riddle vs Shelton/Cedric was better than it had any right to be. Alexa’s uhhh…instructions were hilariously absurd. Braun vs Drew was okay I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Out of the ring I think the show is worse than TNA. Whereas TNA did have some good and great stuff in the ring most of it was way worse than most of what is on Raw and Smackdown.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When Vince dies the T-Rex skrull will crumble and a million anime figurines will tumble out and you will all be sorry.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

WWE in talks with MLW regarding a partnership and sending unused NXT talent their way for "experience"

Maybe it was just shows I caught but I DVRed a few MLW shows and they were Smackdown levels of talking to wrestling so maybe better training there for the main roster than NXT.....

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MJeff posted:

Does commentary ever point out that Roman is a giant weakling who would lose every match if not for his cousin?

Sometimes!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

They should be excited, WWE is awful television but when Alexa is playing Undertaker Anderson Silva Goldberg it's extremely funny.

It’s one of the few things that stops the fast forward for me these days.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Weird moment where someone in commentary—clearly at Vince’s direction—asked Drew to talk about being sent back to promo school as a young wrestler that Drew was clearly surprised by but handled well so I don’t know if that was a rib or what.

Thought there was some pretty decent wrestling on Raw tonight all things considered. Best match was probably Lucha House Party vs Cedric and Shelton. In the main event though Bobby was really trying his best. A dude that big doing leap frogs and bumping around like that for Braun is always impressive.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

Fightful is reporting that Tessa Blanchard isn't coming to WWE. The Diamond Mine act is an entirely different thing and that it's a very tightly kept secret.

Cody welcome home.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If anything it looks like Wednesday is better for NXT because occasionally they were able to pull audience away from AEW with hotshots, along with the contingent of people who just generally only watched NXT.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Pretty pointless even by Raw standards.

Cedric and Shelton is good though. I am probably one of ten people on Earth who really appreciated that after his current finisher was countered by Cedric twice, Shelton busted out the T-Bone Suplex (his original finisher).

Rhea/Auska was probably the best match they had, to the point I would say it was good…before the Charlotte interruption and commercial break really killed the pacing.

Bobby vs Drew was fine but hard to get into when there was practically zero suspense about what the end of the show would be.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vandar posted:

Ahem. Call it by it's proper name.

Is there another name? I just have known T-Bone for the longest time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Chris Jericho is the guy who I was like “wow I thought he was really short.”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have learned over the years that people’s tolerance for cuts and camera movement varies wildly. But I agree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

Io and Candace should definitely be promoted. It's a shame they haven't been called up yet.

The promotion is to a roster where women never get on TV, though and if the money is roughly the same now as it apparently is they're better off where they are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Auska v Charlotte had botches but overall I liked it, and I liked the Priest/Morrison match, surprisingly, and the Kofi/Lashley match and I got a tinge of Kofi Mania which I think was the last time I was really invested in a storyline. Sheamus v Ricochet was okay but either they tried to do what happened last week as a worked spot or Sheamus botched the same way again, either way, awkward.

They did infer that Miz might be a zombie or possibly dead on the show.

Overall the stories are really really bad (although some are funny-bad) but the wrestling is kind of staying okay.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 18, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm assuming Kofi's title shot gets ruined by Orton and Matt Riddle or something and Bobby challenges Drew to Hell in the Cell and . That almost feels too logical to be what happens right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Benne posted:

You don't need to scoop up Ronda's talentless hack friend just because one day, down the line, if you're lucky, she might be as good as Tay Conti (who went from underrated to overrated in a flash, I'm just gonna say it)

Yeah. I almost always felt when I was typing any criticism up of her that I was raining on people's parades and also I don't totally feel like arguing as much as I used to, and like WWE is poo poo and not a hill I feel like dying on, so I just kept it to myself but I agree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
First half hour of Raw: this is one of the worst Raws ever.

For an hour: Shelton and Cedric have another straight banger (just fast forward past the Cedric promo before the match it is bad) including a fighting spirit comeback. Then Xavier and Matt Riddle have a completely non-WWE style match, lots of high impact moves, Xavier even does an okay attempt at a Shibata drop kick-also a banger.

Rest of show: loving sucked!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

NXT Ratings from last night:

698,000, 0.13 in the demo.

Who would have thought having Raquel and Kross beat the two most over people on the brand for the championships would have such a bad effect?

I don't know if they are going to get that message though. They're going to be able to blame two giant basketball games. I know that's what I was watching!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

It feels real real weird saying this but WWE has forgotten what jobbers are for.

Instead of having your midcard guys stomp no names to build credibility, they stick them in endless 50/50 booking until absolutely no one looks strong.

The NXT woman's div has started to use jobbers more over the past couple months and I think it's helped. I can tell you who is where in the pecking order there a lot easier than the rest of the company.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I so refuse to watch Raw live that if I catch up to the live feed while fast forwarding (I usually start an hour late this time of year) that I just go watch something else until I have suitable padding (one hour).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Very bad show with a decent Cedric match and a decent Kofi match (starting to be a theme). I did laugh at the end stuff though. WWE should be remaking Hammer films with their wrestlers as stars.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
WWE will truly test my theory that no matter how lame a wrestling promotion is, the fans are lamer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Main event was fine. I wish there had been a basketball game on instead though.

xbilkis posted:

The fans are going to be delighted by Raw when crowds are back because WWF spent the Thunderdome era doing a steady diet of rematches and aimless booking. Anything booked with even half a mind toward keeping an audience engaged will be like water in a desert. Tonight's show was hailed as the best Raw in ages because it cleared the bar of "having matches with simple stakes." Nikki Cross will get people saying "Well at least they're using her!"; Doudrop is getting a "See! She doesn't like the name either; they're just establishing Eva Marie as a heel!" reaction even though that story is completely detached from her presentation last week

Vince tanked the pandemic era to lower expectations and it worked beautifully. Trust The Process

I agree with this.

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 22, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

That DICK! posted:

sorry that link isn't really relevant. im just kind of unhappy you know, life didn't turn out how i wanted it to and its too late to do anything about it. and what I'm gonna take it out on yall? thats no reason to yuck your yum. i know things didnt turn out well for you if youre here

e: people you personally killed(WIP)

I can't tell what you're mad about but things seem to be going rough. Hope things get a bit better. Looks like you're taking a break from here but if you are addicted to posting like I am, I can point you to somewhere else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

tbf they don't blame WWE for that but the glacial pace of the immigration system, probably not helped by the last four years.

I have friends that have lived in the US for 15+ years who have not been able to get in, it's really hosed up right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

Yeah, true. I remember all the College Football stars refusing to graduate so they didn't have to live in misery in the NFL.

I mean, this is pretty much the reason behind the new redshirt and graduate transfer rules, to make sure college players who aren't likely to make it in the NFL can get as many years of eligibility as possible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I went to a house show that was pretty great, and another that was bad. The bad one was the week before Wrestlemania and the main workers were obviously taking it very easy and the C and D levels of the roster weren't what they are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The only thing that saved this from being a bottom five ever Raw is 1)Drew somehow slipping Jinder a fake sword and then ripping up a motorcycle by hand and 2)A disheveled Bob Lashley taking a vow of celibacy and trashing The VIP Lounge and threatening to put Kofi in a box and send him back to the circus…”BUT THE CIRCUS IS DEAD. LIKE YOUr career THIS SUNDAY”

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 13, 2021