Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I want jimmy buckets to methodically demolish the entire east

Also Zion should be mvp hes the coolest

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

butler is among my favorite players ever

he’s just the best

I love him and the coffee thing made me love him even more

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I think Curry and Zach Lavine are basically interchangeable in terms of value . Zach is a little less refined

Are you kidding me. Zach does way better dunks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bip Roberts posted:

klay is literally too lazy to have played a game of nba basketball in like 2 years

only Jordan was a quitter to his level

truely one of the greats

It's called elite load management

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Derrick Rose is BACK

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

going to try and watch a bit of all the games today

I would expect the heat to rally a bit but maybe they are locker room poisoned totally

Jimmy needs to find a new locker room to destroy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Making 3 field goals on my way to a 19 pt/14 assist / 21 rebound triple double in a victory

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Stevie Lee posted:

5 of 8 tonight!!

also 7/11 on FGs

e: how'd he get 11 assists while only playing defense hmm?

He got to inbound the ball and had generous scorekeepers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Judakel posted:

if he were anywhere near as impactful.

Zach can throw down wicked dunks unlike Steph, the case isn't even close

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Top 10 all time all around players in order, ranked
1 rodman
2 Jordan
3 wilt
4 LeBron
5 pippen
6Hakeem
7 David Robinson
8 Tim duncan
9 artis Gilmore
10 kareem

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kingcobweb posted:

i know the stats blog post you read about rodman and it was a well-reasoned post, but a lot of it doesn't hold up to stuff we know now. it's heavily based on this all-in-one stat called "Wins Produced" that was made by one absolute crank who thought Kevin Love was the best player in the league with Andre Drummond behind him

I think it's the win share per 48 metric that isolated rodman hilariously above everyone else

It's just a funny argument to make since he's a unique player whereas you can sub in bird for LeBron for Pippin for kawhi for Luka , etc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Luka is no where near Lebron Lmao

LeBron got eliminated ages ago and Luka is still playing on my tv , so looks like you're right that Luka is better r

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azathoth posted:

those last 5 words are doing some heavy lifting there
it's not that stat then, his numbers there are reflective of his overall performance. his two peak years, his two all star years with the pistons, have him at .189 and .183 (those make him top 20 in the NBA those years, but not top 10), and his career overall is .150. For contrast, compare him to another defense oriented piston in Ben Wallace, whose best season put him at .190 WS/48 and who finished with a .140 career. to compare to the whole NBA ever, that WS/48 is good enough for 118th overall, right behind Shawn Marion and Patrick Ewing and just ahead of Bill Laimbeer and Steven Adams. by that stat measure, he is not as good as Andre Drummond (106th with .152) or Joakim Noah (79th with .159)

Ah yeah you're right

Also joakin Noah ruled

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

The raptors won a title wtf?

rockford, illinois legend Fred Van Vleet repeatedly isoed up steph curry who had to beg for his teammates to play defense on his behalf

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Zach Lavine is better than Steph curry

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

fine he’s notable in the extent he’s overrated and exposes that nba writers don’t know anything abo it basketball

remind me again, who do you think the top 20 players are in the nba and why

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

by top what do you mean . most valuable to winning ?

In the playoffs, yes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

What's with the DeMar DeRozan zone being so bad

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Euph what's your opinion on Dennis rodman and Scottie pippen

Role players or no

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yossarian-22 posted:

How can anyone not love this guy https://twitter.com/kicks/status/1398078821488791553?lang=en

Wake me up when America bombs your home and you go from being a coke drinking cheese pie eating fatty to the best player in the NBA

The Toni kukoc interview about how Jordan/pippen thought they were in his head was great because kukoc said it was nothing compared to the daily bombings he dealt with

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

Sorry to celticspost but here is some content, it is the highlights of a Larry Bird 60-point game against Atlanta from 1985. Notable for some insane shots but also for the reactions from the Atlanta bench when they kept going in.

https://cdn-cf-east.streamable.com/...EYUVEN4EVB2OKEQ

the turnaround fadeaway is the most aesthetically pleasing shot in existence

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Giannis the best center since shaq

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yossarian-22 posted:

looking at garnett's stats and i kind of forgot how much him, webber, and vlade divac were the models of pf/centers who get assists before giannis/jokic/draymond took up that mantle. garnett peaked at 6 assists per game one year

kg's whole thing was 20/10/5

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

also I am 46

Who were the most overrated 80s-90s players that made a bunch of all-star games (besides Kobe)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Larry bird is the most overrated human being of all time in any field of human endeavor

so that is one

Karl Malone was overrated as mentioned awhile back

isiah Thomas

Chris mullon

Kevin Johnson

Dan Majele

John Stockton

Lot of enemies of Bulls athletics, I agree and approve

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

no. the ability to stop buckets is harder and rarer (league is designed for people to score). stopping one bucket is 2 to 3 times more valuable than scoring one bucket in terms of making a Good Team . it is therefor the most important thing.

for centers it’s even more lopsided. stopping buckets is 90% of what a center is supposed to do. the way the game is designed, a center has incredible influence on defense and what the other teams does on offense. a center that does not stop buckets is not a center and not valuable. it’s just how the game works ok. it’s not even a controversial take. before the league decided to invested marketing equity into jokic no one thought players like him were good. they still don’t as long as his name isn’t jokic. why doesn’t Sabonis get mvp talk ? he’s the same player as jokics.

if scoring was in any way hard in 2022 nba then yes maybe you’d have a point.

Just get a bunch of 6'6-6'9 top level defenders and roll out a scrub at center like the 90s bulls

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yossarian-22 posted:

Early 2010s Heat as well

Exactly. It's easy to replicate. No need to focus on a traditional center. Heck, golden state won their first title by benching David Lee

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

fully admitting that jokic is mvp and a bird level hall of gamer : I also am pointing out that pace and scoring is through the roof compared to the nba many of us grew up with

In todays NBA the 96 bulls would be averaging
Jordan : 40 ppg, 45 in playoffs
Pippen: 30 points/15 rebounds/8 assists
Rodman 1 ppg, 33 rebounds
Longley : 25/15
Kukoc 20/10/5
Harper 5 pts 15 assists

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kyrie with Mark Cuban is going to be amazing content

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I missed the whole BOS PHI game but I am looking forward to watching it tomorrow once its on league pass. I was at the Minnesota Ice Maze

whoa that rules

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

unnamed point guard

Thought this was Derrick rose but he shamefully only has 106 dunks , that knee injury robbed him. Can't be Jordan because the basketball ref stats only go back to 1997 and he had 138 his last two years as a bull when he was super old and barely able to do it anymore

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

who is the mystery small guard ?? keep guessing

this made me look up ja morant

👀

I figured ja would be at 200 by end of season and couldn't be him

Lavine? Nah, over 400
Fvv? 0. Fred...c'mon buddy. Steph with only 26 and Chris Paul 42. Pathetic

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 10, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shear Modulus posted:

his only contemporaries who were as explosive as he was were westbrook, rose, and maybe wade, and all of their bodies fell apart.

And when he wanted to, LeBron could guard them. I think there were a few sequences late in a playoff game where Rose couldn't get past LeBron at all on the perimeter and i was dumbfounded

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The bulls are just too good now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My favorite thing about the bulls Mavs game , is that with a million guys sitting out and nothing but bench play, the bulls covered the spread by a half a point. How the gently caress is Vegas so accurate

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
embiid's mvp is as fraudulent as malone's, due to jordankic fatigue

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kingcobweb posted:

what's the most recent mvp to win a championship before they won mvp

steph won mvp a few months before his first championship. duncan otherwise, i think. Heck, Duncan got finals MVP that rookie year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shear Modulus posted:

the reddit post i stole that table from also has that award, the top 5 of the same categories

Caruso should get bonus points for not contesting twos as much, lulling his opponent into taking worse shots