Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
One if the great things about the nz version is that Paul Williams isn't just doing the assistant thing as a role, he is one of the two people who come up with the tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

evobatman posted:

I read somewhere that all the UK comedians have the same manager, and either you're with that agency and get put on all the panel shows and Live at the Apollo variants, or you might as well be dead because nobody is ever going to hear about you.

And they all went to the same school and know each other from there.

Agency not manager.

School thing is bullshit considering the difference in ages etc.

The main reasons UK comedians all know each other -
Edinburgh
Relatively small country but with a large amount of comedy gigs small and large all over the place all year round.
Relatively small group of people.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Was a great opener.
I've had to unfollow the tsskmaster twitter as they have ramped up their spoiler filled live posting. Like posting details of each task just after they air and posting the episode results right away. Its pretty obnoxious since they must know that most people don't watch live.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

exmarx posted:

sophie duker rules

Brave choice of task uniform. She was nearly falling out when riding little Alex Horne

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So are we going to have the "Why doesn't the US have a version, it had a go and it was poo poo, here are a bunch of suggestions for US contestants and hosts" conversation every week?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Another great episode. All 7 look like they are having great fun on the stage.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Didn't know that Bridget Christy was married to Stewart Lee.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't like when tasks get too long and unnecessarily complicated, because sometimes I miss things when they're cutting between people or my attention has already drifted, and then if there's a million different things to keep track of, I just don't really know what the task was or what to look out for.

I also kinda resent the tasks that have extra bits added that aren't really included in the scoring but are just wacky things to make people look more silly, like they need the help.

Name some tasks that are "unnecessarily complicated"? The segments on the tasks are 10 mins long, if you can't maintain attention that long then I don't really know.

Your second point makes me think this show isn't really for you - maybe check out The Krypton Factor?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Heavy_D posted:

I know, he lives in Glasgow and is a full-time Twitch streamer, so it would be pretty impractical. But I think he'd be so good in the creative tasks and I think he could sell the prize tasks.

They get paid to do it and not all the contestants live in London.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

They can't have Dara O'Briain on because people would get confused on why Greg is doing tasks then also judging himself.

Apart from being tall comedians they are nothing alike

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

eke out posted:

Great ep.

This show is really on such a good run

Agreed, I can't remember seeing Greg and Alex laughing so much in the studio.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do think they sometimes stack the deck to try to give an episode win to a contestant who otherwise has done quite badly and is definitely not going to win the series, but there is only so far they can go with that since they can't really predict how the prize round or the studio task will go.

Yeah and on top of that, as the season goes on and the more subjective tasks add up it gets harder for them to find a set of good tasks for an underperformer as they have less filmed tasks to choose from.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

CoC2 was great but I hate hate HATE winner take all final tasks like that. It's one thing if it's in one out of ten episodes, but for CoC?

(It's perfectly fine and a good way to keep the suspense going, it's just a pet peeve of mine.)

I think it was fine.
The overall scoring system for Taskmaster doesn't really work for a single episode anyway.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah good cast. I only knew Dara and Sarah before and beard guy seems a bit dull but strong opener

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Loo rolls are not exactly known for their strength once unfurled, nonmatter what the puppies make you think.

That said it probably was too restrictive to make them stay on the marker. Just don't let them leave the level they were on and dot random supplies nearby would have encouraged different methods.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
And they do a non swear edit of the show

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

oh jay posted:

My understanding is that Alex tests out new tasks by making the previous season do it and not airing it.

I doubt they have the time or budget to waste on making people do that many unaired tasks

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Well yes, considering none of them were over the time it seems that everyone understood that

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Also getting next cast lineup at the end

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

stev posted:

Why in the absolute hell did Dara not pour the cider over the nice man?

He wouldnt have completely covered the nice man with one pint and there would have still been the glass

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
We seem to have the "who would be in a good US version of TM and why the format doesn't work on US TV" every 6 months with exactly the same conclusions and points raised.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

itry posted:

Luckily he's busy with Ferguson's old job.

He's leaving that early next year.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Alex ama was recorded during filming for the next series after the one soon to be aired. He said there were some surprising elements and that the theme was one of his favourites.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Same, and watched it all in a binge.
Its great, love it, it does have its moments.
But has a rather annoying laugh track on it.

Apart from COVID ones it's all filmed with a live audience, there is no laugh track.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Surprised they didn't discuss "same word" being a genius workaround that no one else did, or the fact that it was such a long word.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Frankie seems to me like he's having an immensely good time but is just not that vocal or exuberant about it and I keep checking if I'm maybe watching like different cuts from y'all or something :v:

Agreed.
Just because he is not constantly being like he was on Mock the Week back in the day doesn't mean he isn't having a good time. Plus taskmaster isn't that kind of show, i would imagine that there is a certain amount of self constraint to not constantly muscle in on other contestants time due to the format.
Also we only see a fraction of what happens in the studio, as people who have been to recordings and the outtakes have shown.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Please don't.
We've managed to go like 15 seasons without having the cast revealed in here this far in advance, all it takes is one dipshit to mess up spoiler tags. Plus if you do list them here in spoiler tags it will just be pages of people discussing stuff behind walls of black boxes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I didn’t understand why Kiel (can’t spell, not looking it up) didn’t just keep rolling the green carpet up until he got close to the bell. He started with that and it was working!

I’m also surprised no one tried to trick Alex into coming near them. In these tasks at least one person usually attempts to.

Also I don’t think anyone asked Alex to get the ball or move the bell?

I bet he had "do things for me" tasks for those two options :)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

thehustler posted:

Matafeo/Wozniak have the Junior Taskmaster hosting gig

https://twitter.com/BritishComedy/status/1658405274938425344

More importantly, who are the contestants, will I have heard of any of them?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I wasn't being serious with my question btw
They have been running taskmaster for schools, home tasking during lockdown etc for ages. I'm pretty confident they will have a good set of age appropriate tasks and would have vetted/auditioned the kids.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Heavy_D posted:

Something I haven't heard discussed before, how the heck will the prize task work on Junior TM? The pretence that the contestants are bringing their own possessions in will surely be shattered. And how is Rose possibly going to see five submissions for "The thing that makes everyone at school the most jealous" and award one of them 1 point?

The pretence got shattered about half way through series 2

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

allowing the drawn pineapples sets a dangerous precedent for future tasks. just draw a picture of a thing and you win!

There is no such thing as precedent in this show :)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I hope it's not going to be like that dumb Netflix show, where contestants have to build elaborate cakes in 5 minutes. That gimmick worked for exactly one day when people posted memes with hosed-up cakes, and I don't think that attracted a lot of viewers.

A slightly sillier Scrapheap Challenge could work.

There was some lovely food based engineering show on Netflix a few years ago where they had to make edible boats, houses, clothes etc. It was terrible.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I think Lucy's "what do you mean you can do things other than exactly what is written" is going to pay off

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Because the taping happened while the last season was still airing and my memory is horrendous I had forgotten if the cans task was in this episode or part of last season but oh my god it’s seriously one of the funniest tasks ever to me especially watching the Sue section as part of a crowd. One of the bits they didn’t show in broadcast is how Lucy literally crawled out of the room at the end of that one. Between that and the genius of putting the hairs together and Sam and Lucy just being all-timer contestants in general (I haven’t gotten there yet so maybe it didn’t make the edit [although I can’t imagine it didn’t] but “Are you a child of divorce?” killed me) it’s an episode that really has everything.

They did show Lucy crawling out at the end, and child of a divorce was in too

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Seriously can we not talk about next seasons cast while we are only 1 ep into the current one? The constant black bars are annoying and some arsehole is going to slip and post them non spoilered..

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I want to know what Jacob Mogg wrote.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

Julian Clary is everything I wanted and more.His attitude and confidence is just the best and him and Sue play the best off the other contestants and the hosts. Sue is amazing as well and is so quick to follow up on things.

I will say, I did take great joy with Susan’s mischief. Is this the first time a contestant did a task made by another contestant?

There was a task in a previous season to make tasks for the others

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I have a feeling that they were both on Who Do You Think You Are? which is a show about celebrity family history, I guess it must have been mentioned that they're related.

Yeah Josh was on who do you think you are and traced his linage back royalty as the main bit on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Another good episode, but probably the weakest team task they have ever done, not really much room for any lateral thinking or hi jinks.