Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Good time zone, new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
:same:

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

pokeyman posted:

I think we've got a new thread title already! And it continues the theme!

Let's make fun of truth and reconciliation in the thread title, terrific idea

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

RBC posted:

There was nothing about residential schools in my high school curriculum, circa 2000-2004.
We read a lot about them in the West and the World course, but my teacher in grade 11 was pretty loving woke for 2003.

Starks posted:

yeah same here, I even remember we watched rabbit-proof fence in school because there were no movies about residential schools in Canada but they wanted us to see how bad they were. And my teacher said the policy was even worse in Canada than Australia. I graduated high school mid-00s. Can't remember if it was an elective course or not.
We also watched this movie, for the same reason. Go Panthers?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Ed Tubb says that delta variant sequences in Ontario have actually dropped recently, which is great news. I was honestly concerned we were in the valley between the vaccine assisted decline of alpha and the surge of delta. Delta is harder to identify because it has to be genome sequenced rather than the usual test.

I think stage 1 will be fine if they stick to the 3 week internal just to be safe, but I bet they rush it. There is an absolute mob of people who want to dine in.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Issue exists but is on the backburner until something happens to get it in the paper
Reporter is tasked to get a both sides story
Reporter interviews a group figurehead interested in solving issue (passionate and explanatory, goes below the fold)
Reporter sends probe questions to leaders of political parties in the area (probably cautious and blasé answers for the most part, although it's not tough to imagine a conservative getting his hackles up immediately with a really lovely hot take usually with wild conjecture about slippery slopes any change would bring)
Picks most interesting and opposed, dresses them up, makes it into a battle
Publishes piece about it
Pols watch carefully, if knee jerk reactions ensue, then start solidifying positions
Culture war where people who love arguing for entertainment just keep doing so forever

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 10, 2022

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Why not just talk to someone and find out?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Just got my second shot. I'm actually the last in my close friend group to do so, somehow.

Ontario needs like a good 2 weeks of second dosing and in a month I'll probably start thinking about going back to my local. Still going to wear a mask in big box stores, but going to switch back to the far more comfortable cloth masks I wore when it was less than 300 cases last summer.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
18 to 24 have crushed it in the Toronto and Peel health units, over 83 percent got first doses in each as of Friday. There's a significant drop off until you get to 50 years old, more like 70 at 25-29, 66 at 30-34.

Regardless, the zoomers are showing up.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Kind of weird to hear "your mennos" used here.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I actually pretended to be sick after both shots because I was upset I was missing out.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Hubris

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Ontario has approximately 20% of total population fully vaccinated with the 2 week immunity lag, in another 3 weeks that would be closer to 50%.

I have to give the new CHMO credit for standing firm on the 3 weeks in between stages.

redbrouw fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 6, 2021

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Sir, this is a Swiss Chalet

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

infernal machines posted:

Well, yeah, unfortunately the Liberals figured out that you can't ever actually build things because then you'll have nothing to promise next time.

I'll have the quarter-chicken dinner, dark meat, with fries. Thanks

Sorry sir, nobody works here anymore.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

nearly 80% of ontario has received a vaccine dose and just over 50% of 12+ have received 2.

One third of Ontario has no doses, and over 70 percent are not even a single week past getting their second dose.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Powershift posted:

naw, they'll be proud of it

rockin these bumper stickers

Change the heart to a nose

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Another Bill posted:

Wilson-Reybould has been grinding this axe for years now. Does anybody really care?

No, it's not an election issue.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I heard the "How old are you now?" bit when I was a kid. Occasionally with the counting but more often not. Southern Ontario.

I am also in this Bearenstain universe of remembering counting when I was young, or when someone is really annoyed that adults are singing happy birthday to each other and wants to torture them for doing so.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

DynamicSloth posted:

The tied to inflation thing is kind of big if true.

The federal liberals are going to get beat over the head with the inflation thing.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

B33rChiller posted:

Silver lining being, there are good paying jobs available right now in the various marine industries.

At least one spot is open in barge driving.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Arivia posted:

Better dead than red

Hey

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Karatela posted:

I say we do both, unless one of them happens to have a wrong position on the ethics of park loving. (I also almost never post but that's because I almost never have anything useful to say.)

First sentence last sentence synergy.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

InfiniteZero posted:

In more directly CanPol related musing, what is it called when you come to the realization/acceptance phase of understanding that the government is incapable/unwilling to do anything in the face of a crisis?
A good start

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Ahem, Shawinigan Horsekick

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
This boomer music, lol

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Powershift posted:

As a single mother making minimum wage, Justin Trudeau froze my bank accounts because I gave a trucker $5 at a truck stop and now I can’t afford to buy my husband the hockey jersey he wants also because it has doubled in price due to inflation. At this rate I’ll never be able to afford to have kids.

Help me, Conservative party!

Don't be ridiculous.

Justin Trudeau doesn't exist.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Forward this email to at least 7 people or you'll have 5 years of bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!1

Edit: of course that was from a freedomconvoy account

Who IS Freedo McOnvoy?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Fidelitious posted:

Can't say I expected to see an argument that only a certain class of people are "allowed" to strike.
When you've gone so far left that you wrap right back around.

Scab CEOs should be shot down when they arrive in their helicopters.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Madkal posted:

Port Alberni has a brewery now so it's not all bad. Richmond is screwed however, which is a shame because it is quite fun to bike around

I am struck by the millennial-ness of this post

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Slotducks posted:

money isnt real lol

The mmtheorist has arrived.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
My sister in law and her entire business team flew to Winnipeg and the return flight on swoop was cancelled. Rip

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Have y'all met PT6A?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

McGavin posted:

From the Cursed Images thread:

Western Canada is exactly where Hitler would go.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Fights like this are pretty much just complete deadlock, which is why people enjoy them. Argument as entertainment.

The solution is to give animals the right to vote

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

DrBox posted:

I stopped kicking my dog 6 days a week. That's an 86% reduction! I'll pause here and wait for the encouraging comments to roll in.

Oh please. He's gone from "Don't treat this thread like babies" to "The vegan was mean to me"

If someone threatens to eat an extra burger to spite me I'll fill the bingo card.

In other news: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/court-approves-catholic-church-sales-1.6523788

It would be pretty sweet to live in a big old church.

Wow, I found every ndp meeting I've ever been to, right here in one post.

Why do people enjoy sabotaging their own cause?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

DrBox posted:

Maybe this time you're right. This was a thread full of people about to go vegan and I ruined it. They were reaching for the oat milk when they checked Something Awful and were forced to grab the dairy instead. I'll take a break before I cause another contentious soul to swerve into a KFC out of hatred for me.

First you predict somebody is going to say they'll eat more meat to offset your presumed veganism, and then you post this as if it actually happened. It's clear you've got some vegan PTSD.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

run on sentience posted:

Lol there's one in the wild

How far does this "choose to be contrarian to own the libs because lack of decorum hurt my feelings" shtick go for you?

*TheKingofSprings reads a heated discussion describing violence against women where some are rightfully enraged*

"I've never beat my wife, but since you're all so hysterical, I guess today's the day I start :smuggo:"

Oof buddy, don't compare women to animals

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Dear monkey paw. Please give us a big news day to distract the DND Canada thread from dumb.

Thank you. God bless.

Member of Parliament identified as something awful user! Vegans aghast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

DaysBefore posted:

Turn on your monitor

Nice meltdown