Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the rally tonight got cancelled but I guess not. It looks like the cops are actually doing some enforcement now though, I'm seeing stuff on Reddit about speakers and possibly organizers being arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The southern MB bible belt sucks so so bad and I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck there. Everyone I know from there describes it as escaping as soon as they were able to.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

To the surprise of absolutely no-one

https://twitter.com/globalwinnipeg/status/1399794181724385283

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly people that aren’t willing to get the vaccine should be straight at the back of the line in terms of ICU priority.

Somebody comes up that urgently needs care? Whoops, guess there’s a bed available now.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/even-in...-real-1.5451335

quote:

Dr. Ganesan Abbu, a family doctor at Boundary Trails Health Centre, said they’ve seen a surge in cases in the last two weeks. He said at any one time, the facility has 15 to 20 COVID-19 patients and up to three in the special care unit.

Abbu added that Boundary Trails also accounted for about 40 per cent of the patient transfers sent to Winnipeg and Brandon over the weekend.

“If I’m accounting for the numbers correctly, they say it was the busiest weekend in the pandemic so far for Manitoba ICUs,” he said.

quote:

Abbu said that many of the COVID-19 patients coming into Boundary Trails hospital are not vaccinated. He noted that though some people were awaiting their vaccination appointments, the majority “refused to be vaccinated.”

Abbu said some patients are angry and upset with their COVID-19 diagnosis, because they don’t believe in COVID-19.

More and more people are needlessly dying from non-COVID ailments because of their dumbshit beliefs, and it's going to keep happening. The entire rest of the province would most certainly be much, much better off if COVID was allowed to decimate the population of the Pembina Valley from Steinbach to Morden, and it seems like the only thing keeping them from doing that to themselves is the fact that we live in a civil society that works to prevent that from happening no matter how much they seem to want it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Jesus Christ.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks to the population of Morden and Winkler being dumbfucks, they've opened up their vaccine supersite to walk-ins for second Moderna doses if it's been 28 days since your first shot. I'm guessing nobody local is going in and they want to get their supply used up. I'm gonna head over there in the next day or two since it sounds like they'll be accepting walk-ins all week.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

RuBisCO posted:

Thank you for the info! Were these ones the 20$ ones you mentioned?: https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Safety-142...01HMF7VQ6&psc=1

Can't wait to get looks from people like I'm some kind of nut.

I've been using that same one from the start and at this point most people don't bat an eye at it. At the very beginning I actually had lots of people working at the grocery and convenience stores asking about them, no doubt because they want all the protection they can get. It was definitely harder to find masks and replacement filters last year, but fortunately it seems like supply has been replenished so you don't have to go through industrial supply places to keep it in working order.

I keep the neck strap buckled and just take the head harness off when I'm outside so it hangs in front of my chest. Quick and easy to put on when going indoors while being out of the way when it's not on. Make sure to wipe it down with alcohol every so often; I haven't run into any issues but it does get damp in there and during the fitting class where I got the mask they said you should get in the habit of disinfecting it.

As a bonus if you live somewhere really cold you can rig it into a really awesome winter mask. No more damp cloth mushed against your face and freezing, and the exhaust is directed away from your face so it doesn't condense on your eyewear. The pocket of warm air right in front of your face makes breathing a lot easier too if you're doing activities.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Is there some culturally known way to signal to a driver behind you to turn off their loving highbeams? I saw at least three such people driving with them on in the middle of the day today; it was not dark, it was just raining.

I really wish I had some sort of mirror system that reflects the light that would hit my rearview camera right back to the windshield of the car behind me.

I think that's what the tab on the bottom of your rearview mirror is for. I didn't know that for the longest time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was expecting the fundie vaccination problem to solve itself in one way or another over time. I thought it was gonna be through people killing themselves through stubbornness, but this seems even better since they won't be clogging up the ICU. Sucks for the places they're emigrating to though.

Vaccine fears fuel exodus from Winkler area

quote:

Some residents of Winkler and the surrounding municipalities who are opposed to COVID-19 vaccinations have chosen to leave Canada to avoid getting the injection.

Prompted both by fears of safety of the vaccines and worries that governments will soon require them to show proof of vaccination to travel, more than 100 Low German-speaking Mennonites from southern Manitoba have left the country in the last three months, with more likely to follow, a Winkler immigration consultant said.

"In the last three months, people are scattering out of Manitoba," said Bolivian-born Mary Friesen, who has lived in Canada for 21 years. "They are trying to get out of Manitoba as fast as possible."

Friesen knows of 18 families, most with at least four children, who have moved to Mexico, Paraguay or Bolivia from Winkler or the nearby municipalities of Stanley and Rhineland.

Recent government campaigns encouraging people to get vaccinated against COVID-19 have prompted the exodus, says Friesen, with people leaving jobs and homes behind in order to cross the border before proof of vaccination becomes a requirement of travel.

"The reason to leave is they are afraid of the vaccine itself and they don’t want the vaccine," she says.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Apparently there's talk of people blockading the roads to Investor's Group field for Blue Bombers games because they're requiring double vaccination to attend. First Nations protesting because of things like genocide is nothing compared to my right to watch some beefy dudes toss a football around in person while paying for overpriced beer without being vaccinated.

I really hope they go through with it because it'd be amazing. Everyone I know who goes bikes or walks to the field anyways since there's like no parking closeby but instead there's a lot of active transportation there.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Not content with just their stupid APC, the Winnipeg Police Service spent another couple hundred grand on a Boston Dynamics police robot.

https://outline.com/UMY2JZ

quote:

In 2019, Massachusetts State Police reported numerous issues with a test run of the robot, including that it toppled while walking up stairs, according to internal records obtained by tech site OneZero. The bomb squad couldn’t get the device to assess a suspicious package as it kept going into "sit" mode instead of walking over, and it provided poor video quality.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

To be honest after deactivating it I wanna steal it so I can reprogram it to be my robot buddy that doesn't trigger my allergies.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

We should just welcome packs of coyotes into our urban centers to the point where they take public transit to get around like dogs in Russia. I'm sure we could reach a stable equilibrium where they don't mess with us and they get to eat all that sweet sweet rabbit meat and maybe a couple deer every so often in Charleswood.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Chillyrabbit posted:

Is being able to ride a bike one of those rich people things, like swimming? I know I learned to ride a bike as a kid and obviously was fortunate enough to have a bike too. But did poor people not learn because it had a high barrier of entry to purchase a bike?

Definitely not. It's often the only way for a lot of people to get around without a car, and the bike co-op I volunteered at in the poorest part of the city always had lines around the block to fix things up for people.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

I mean, sure that poll would look bad if the Liberals reneged on their promise to overhaul the antiquidated FPTP election system, but now that we have... hang on, I'm being told that the Liberals may be facing the consequences of their inaction.

Unfortunately this is fine with them. The Liberals would much rather keep trading spots with the Conservatives than work with other parties. That might make things slightly better for the less fortunate, and they can't have that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Alctel posted:

Problem with coops is you need people to give a poo poo and have constant vigilance, otherwise they get looted by capital, as what happened to MEC (the board started demanding 10 years CEO experience, then refused to released the results of the latest election and then sold off the whole thing to a VC firm)

MEC was a consumer cooperative, not a workers co-op. Presumably that kind of thing would be less likely when workers have more control over how the business is run rather than customers who are primarily concerned with getting stuff cheaply and have no experience with the day-to-day operations and working conditions, if they even care at all.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In and out of my polling station in less than five minutes. No line, everyone was nice and nobody yelling at people about having to wear masks.

The polling station on my card is only a five minute walk, but I noticed one was open even closer right at the end of my street. I figured I should go to the one on my card though since maybe it was overflow for another riding or something.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

On a tangent my moms knee replacement is delayed a year or so cause of these fucks. So while she hobbles around and loses confidence day by the day these stains on society go out and cry about a needle.

I hope they all rot.

Esp the southern health fuckers here in Manitoba. Choke on your wheat fields you pieces of poo poo.

I'm getting tired of all these articles trying to paint their ignorance as nuanced and "rooted in history". It all comes down to knee-jerk "no gently caress you dad" borne out of a persecution complex.

Which honestly I'd be fine with if we could triage them to the very back of the line, but that's never going to happen. I can't imagine what I'd do if I ended up being told that my cancer could have been treated six months ago, but now it's too late and I'm going to die because of a bunch of stupid hicks.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, all the Mennonites I know and are part of my extended family are vaccinated. It's just dumbfuck religious fundamentalists in the south who think they know better than anyone else.

They edited that article to confirm that the RM of Stanley has the worst vaccination rates in the country, and they're so god drat proud of it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Franks Happy Place posted:

The Rogers' family beef currently imploding a multibillion dollar company's boardroom right in the middle of a sensitive merger is a fuckin Heritage Moment, thank Allah I am alive for this.

What's this about? If it fucks up the Shaw deal I'm all for it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The motive hasn't been officially confirmed yet but it sounds like someone who got put on leave for refusing to get vaccinated started killing people, and attacked one person in the hospital.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/seven-oaks-hospital-assault-update-1.6228462

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

B33rChiller posted:

That is what I've always seen as a good use for an AR, apart from target shooting. Too small of a calibre for deer.
Quick follow up shots could be useful when there's a herd tearing up your garden, and they have a predilection for fighting, rather than fleeing when scared/angry.

Right now it's apparently a better idea to report sightings to your local conservation officer than to take a shot. Killing one or two here and there causes the rest of the group to spread out, breed more and get better at hiding, so organized eradication campaigns are going to be more effective if extermination is the goal and not putting wild bacon on the table.

https://www.manitobapork.com/swine-health/wild-pigs

Legalizing suppressors would probably be more effective for culling herds, and I imagine it would be much more politically tenable.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

i think you'd have a real hard time still getting it past the groups founded after the montreal massacre. it's gonna be a mess any which way, honestly.

Should have clarified, I meant in comparison to making AR-15s non-restricted and/or allowing the use of full-capacity magazines. Even in places with very strict firearm regulations like the UK or NZ suppressors are just considered safety equipment that maybe require you to show your license, if that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lady in distress in my lobby this morning says she was robbed and wants me to call the police. Somehow out of all the 911 operators and police officers involved I'm the only one trying to de-escalate and calm her down so she stays put and doesn't freeze outside because she's clearly out of it.

Cops show up an hour and a half later and one of the first things they say to her is "how high and drunk are you right now?" and expressing to me that they don't really care if she does run off into the cold. Anyone wanna guess her ethnicity?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

acumen posted:

Next to getting a location and situation, de-escalation is one of the most important tasks for 911 operators. Unfortunately a lot of them share the same beliefs and social circles as cops. I'm sorry you got a lovely one.

I used to do ISP call center work which involved taking escalations so I was shocked at how he seemed to be doing everything possible to get the woman worked up. Like yeah she's incoherent and upset but Jesus you need to be able to deal with that with some empathy, not just pressing her for more and more details when she's freaking out about her kids or whatever.

I was trying to like talk to her about her kids and where she's from to calm her down and wait and she was showing me pictures and stuff, but the operator would then just wind her up again trying to get a more detailed description of whoever attacked her even after she said multiple times her glasses are broken and she can't see anything. She eventually got fed up with the dude, gave me my friend's phone back and started walking; her address was across town so when I saw her freezing on a snowbank crying I told her I'd give her a ride since my car was right there; cabs have a real bad track record with indigenous women here.

She said she'd pay for gas and I was almost empty so I drove there to stall for time until the cops arrived (she got me the tax exemption but obviously I didn't let her pay). Police finally showed up after another half hour and they absolutely did not want to be there. Yeah she's clearly hosed up and now thinks I'm a taxi driver, but don't fuckin' call her a junkie to her face for Christ's sake. They also seemed pissed that I called 911 multiple times to update them on our location. Thankfully the woman I kept getting was much more empathetic.

I really hope they didn't just dump her on the street somewhere since it's -20C. The cop saying who cares if she walks off into the frozen night was super gross because of, well, you know.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One of my friends I was meeting up with to take hunting today deals with various city councilors and the mayor as part of his community center and he wants me to write something to get to the highest ranking person he can get in touch with. Him and the person who picked me up are both immigrants and got to learn up close how western policing treats the vulnerable.

acumen posted:

Yeah, it's this. It can be similar to customer service in many situations, except in the fact that tim hortons drive-thru staff will get fired if they're being a dick or worse. Policing absolutely needs much better oversight and higher standards for the fuckups.

That's what gets me more than anything, I don't have any fancy skills outside of what I learned working maybe a couple steps above retail. Yeah she's being difficult but good lord, don't immediately go out of your way to antagonize her.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: holy poo poo - 2168 cases in Winnipeg, 3265 in Manitoba. :lol:

It's insane how infectious it is. I was hesitant to pick some stuff up from some family earlier this week but everyone was being rapid tested and they were all negative. PCR results come back days later for my cousin who works retail and it turns out he was actually positive, but I guess he was asymptomatic.

I had my mask off for just one hour to grab a bite to eat and ended up getting infected. I'm double vaccinated so it's been pretty mild so far, light fever at night accompanied by the sweats and a stuffy nose. We'll see what it's like if/when it gets into my lungs. I tried calling Health Links to report or confirm it, but after three hours on hold I gave up and am just going to lock down for two weeks since I'm fortunate to have a friend group that's been helping each other out throughout the pandemic with stuff like shopping, laundry and child care.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My cousin's family ended up being all positive but I'm the only one in the family who has any symptoms. From the wide spectrum of severity among the people I know I'm under the impression that the virus is attacking the portion of European ancestry in my mixed-race blood.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

That's still much better than the converse: bringing in some rural RCMP and telling them the convoy is a fire station.

Holy poo poo

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Alctel posted:

No, the transportation and storage laws we have here are a major part of the differing cultures around guns.

It's really hard to explain but in Canada and other countries with high ownership all the rules around storage, transportation and usage helps reinforce that gun ownership is a privilege, not a right.

In the US it's totally hosed, you don't even need to get a license, let alone take a course.

The Liberal gun laws are basically a microcosm of the party itself in that they are all very technically complicated, solves the wrong problem and have like a million loopholes

I've tried to bring up how things like storage regulations are such a low stakes "concession" that massively improve public safety, but apparently that's still a bridge too far because it's classist/racist to expect people to be able to afford some kind of lockbox for a piece of equipment that already costs at least a hundred bucks.

Thing is, First Nations communities here seem to be a-ok with safe storage laws, to the point where there are communities that run their own voluntary storage programs that go above and beyond what's required by law. I don't know what it's like in other provinces but I wouldn't be surprised to see it being a thing elsewhere, and from the study that was done on it everyone was happy with how it turned out.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2012/jus/J3-7-1998-7-eng.pdf

quote:

• All of the programs involve storing firearms in a secure location when they are not being used for hunting. Two of the programs (God’s River and Mathias Colomb) are administered by the Band, while the remaining two are administered by the local RCMP. All of the programs are voluntary; in Shamattawa, community members are strongly encouraged to use it, and the Chief and Council have passed a Band Council Resolution to that effect.

• Rates of use of central storage vary among the communities, with the highest rate found in Shamattawa, where 91% of firearm owners reported that they use the program. All of the respondents believed that central storage has benefits to the community including the reduction of firearm offences, reduction of accidents, and increased safety of children. All of the programs were started with minimal cost, and were reported to have had immediate and substantial benefits for the peace and security of the community.

These completely voluntary programs cost way less than whatever the upcoming compensated confiscation will cost, and resulted in actual improvements in community safety. I have my issues with how firearm regulation is done, but it's definitely possible for legislation to exist that both increases public safety while also involving buy-in from firearm owners/users if it's not simply treated as a wedge issue to drive voters every couple of years. It's the people who think that any and all policy outside of complete deregulation until all "root causes" are fixed first are the ones who should get the side-eye, in my experience.

Another interesting side effect of the way the PAL system works is how much easier it is to actually buy firearms online compared to the US. Because of how having a license is a basic check that you're probably not going to go out and do crimes, all a seller needs to do is check my ID and we're good to go, none of this stuff involving FFLs and paying transfer fees.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

It's never some poor farmer who was diagnosed bipolar and had his guns taken away. It's always people who snapped and built a fort in the mail room at their job and refused to come out until their boss admitted to gang stalking them.

I can't find it right now because search results are obviously going to be skewed by today's press conference, but I remember seeing an interview with an old farmer who self reported due to a severe bout of depression and got reinstated once he went to therapy and got medicated. I think we just don't hear about it because the ones shouting at everyone about how the government is out to get them aren't the ones who are getting help.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

urf posted:

the actual voter tally

Have seats allocated by vote share but including people who didn't vote. The share of the vote that is unaccounted for goes towards representatives that are randomly chosen by lottery. Doesn't get more proportionally representative than that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I say randomly chosen I don't mean out of the pool of candidates that signed up. Someone in the riding just gets a letter in the mail saying "congrats, you're now an MP. Here's the salary and benefits, good luck!".

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Was just at a baseball game and something was sponsored by Rogers. The entire stadium erupted into boos.

That rules.

Looks to be back up for me, but HSPA only, not getting an LTE connection.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do any other brown people here have restaurants trying to give you Skip the Dishes orders whenever you go out to eat?

Went to a pizza place to get a slice before groceries and after paying for one I sat down next to a white person while we waited for a pizza to come out of the oven. While on my phone I hear "what's the Skip number? Sir? Sir?! I need your Skip number." The guy who took my order gave her an "oh god, no" look before she got the hint. It was kind of funny, and then it immediately happened again at the bubble tea place I went to for a drink.

What does a Skip order number look like? If they're so insistent on giving me orders I'm gonna see if I can leverage this into free food. At least the guy "accidentally" gave me an extra slice probably because of how embarrassing it must have been for them.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Delivery apps seem big here because Skip is headquartered here, so I'm wondering if it's common elsewhere or if it's a local quirk. I've often seen like five drivers waiting around for orders, it seems so wasteful.

It goes both ways too. When I'm lazy and don't want to cook I grab some drive thru on the way home, and in the lobby or even the parking lot I've had people trying to take my brown paper bag thinking I'm delivering an order for them. I was so confused the first time it happened.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There's a Metis restaurant around here that has a bannock pizza which I'm told is pretty good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nick Biped posted:

Spoilers because this may be horrifying to some, but I actually don't think pizza from Little Caesars is all that bad, so long as you order it fresh.

Aww yeah

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A couple bungee cords is a lot more convenient to carry around everywhere than an insulated bag on the off chance I want bike pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Someone's gettin' stabby in Saskatchewan.