Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, he showed too much of his hand this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RuBisCO posted:

Does anyone have any good places to buy a half mask respirator, online or otherwise? A recommendation would be great too. A combination of the looming delta plague and it being 42°C and the annual wildfires has got me thinking I should finally get one.

I use this type of half-mask on some job-sites:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rugged-Comfor...dustrial&sr=1-1

It has a quick release at the front so you can easily flip it and the mask loosens enough to talk or stick something in your mouth, without having to take it off your head. There is one for closer to $20 if you don't want the quick release. That's medium size which fits the average person, women generally fit the small size on average, but you'll have to decide how big your face is yourself, haha. There are full face masks from 3m that are nice as well, but they are expensive and likely overkill for what you're talking about. In the first days of the plague I wore a half-mask into Superstore because there were no masks available, haha.

Use with these filters:

https://www.amazon.ca/3M-2097-Parti...00328IAO0&psc=1

That will get particulate and that smoke smell out of the air. Doesn't do anything for carbon monoxide, but there isn't a filter that is going to save you from CO.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RuBisCO posted:

Thank you for the info! Were these ones the 20$ ones you mentioned?: https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Safety-142...01HMF7VQ6&psc=1

Can't wait to get looks from people like I'm some kind of nut.

Yeah, that's one of them. The quick release is worth $12 though, unless money is tight. It's the difference between quickly being able to move the mouth-piece aside to have a drink or say something unmuffled vs having to pull it off your head and then putting it back on and repositioning it. Granted I am usually wearing a hard-hat so taking that off is part of the pain.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Got my second Pfizer from the northern health vax van. I've been stuck in camp near Fort St. John for weeks and figured I'd have to wait until I was home, but the vax van was open 5-8pm on a Saturday.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been without connection for two days and the only news update I heard was on Radio 1 which said there's still 30% of the population lacking a first dose and were slamming headlong into wave 4 because Alberta's government is homicidal.

The vaccination tracker on the ctv website has barely moved for the last few weeks have we run into a wall?

Ages 12 and up it's 81% that have at least one dose, 66.6% that have two. Not sure if that's a better or worse way to look at it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Trapick posted:

BC is requiring proof of vaccination to access restaurants, gyms, theatre, conferences, etc.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0053-001659

Nothing on schools yet.

Edit: starting Sept. 13 one dose required, two doses by Oct. 24. Kids under 12 exempt, I can't find anything on any other potential exceptions.

I work with a lot of "vaccine hesitant" people. It's going to be amusing to watch them squirm.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-housing-plan-1.6151154

If the Liberals are re-elected on Sept. 20, Trudeau said, he would introduce a first home savings account which would allow Canadians up to age 40 to save $40,000 toward their first home and withdraw it tax-free when it comes time to buy. Money added to the account would go in tax-free and could be withdrawn without any taxes owing on possible investment gains.

He said a Liberal government would double the first-time home buyers tax credit from $5,000 to $10,000 — an incentive that would help with the many closing costs that come with buying property.

nothing about reducing house prices, just starving the government of revenue so its easier for you to get into massive levels of debt

i love liberalism

You didn't quote any of the things that might reduce house prices, or slow their increase, just the things that definitely won't. Not that this is the full communism now that this thread expects as the only reasonable housing platform, but I was actually surprised by some of the things they are offering up.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

leftist heap posted:

Not talking about you

I have no faith in the Liberals and would never vote for them. I also don't think their plan is great, I just think it's intellectually dishonest to frame it the way the poster framed it. I am sure it wasn't on purpose. This thread just seems needlessly depressing at times.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenDoodle posted:

Speaking of just wanting us all to die, I present Speedrunning by B. Henry:

B.C. considers allowing COVID-positive health-care staff to work

screaming

This is perfect though. You just have covid clinics where the staff and the patients all have covid.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I took my grandma to get her booster in BC the other day and she was 2x Pfizer. They gave us the choice, but recommended Moderna for the booster. The implication was broader coverage, not health effects, but maybe I misunderstood the implication. Another interesting thing was that we were in a special line because of her age (86) for a full dose. The doses that younger people were getting were half doses.

Mad Hamish posted:

When I went and got my booster they asked if I was over 30 because they were giving Moderna to us old people and Pfizer to those drat kids who need to get off my lawn. Ultimately I don't give a poo poo, just give the 5G juice.

I think there is reasonable data that mycocarditis is much more common, relatively, in moderna than in pfizer. Specifically in younger men after the second dose.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is hard to gauge sometimes, but does anyone strongly think that covid won't just become endemic?

This is of course a separate question to what we should be doing about it now.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just live your life, goons.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've have a friend in his 20s who at the start of the pandemic was a pretty easy going, blue collar worker. Now everything he posts is about the 50,000 truckers and media suppression. It's felt like this slow side into radicalisation over the past two years. It's kind of depressing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The irony is that that story did the same thing that posts about 50,000 trucks on the other side did. People are so hyped up they are just hitting share.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Alctel posted:

I don't think it's ICU numbers that are the problem, they are still fairly low, but it's general hospitalisation rates that are really high right now

I feel Christy Clark was more chuddy but the more recent BC Lib leaders (who I cannot even name) have definitely been more on the money-laundering/real estate side of the party. I don't actually recall hearing a peep from them in an age and have no idea of their position

Last I checked BC reports incidental covid cases as hospitalisations, so if you break your arm and test positive for covid, that's a covid hospitalization. Some states have seen over 50% incidental covid rates. I think I saw an estimate that BC was 45% for December. Anyway, it's useful to contextualize hospitalizations with this information.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RedFlag posted:

This sounds like it could be the case (from a quick data processing standpoint, if nothing else), but it also sounds like something the proverbial Can-chud uncle would say. Where did this estimate come from? What about death counts?

https://biv.com/article/2022/02/incidental-covid-19-hospitalizations-bc-are-about-44-total posted:

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said health officials conducted chart reviews of 550 hospitalized COVID-19 patients, starting on December 1, and discovered that 344, or 44.3 per cent of them, were in hospital initially for a reason that was not their COVID-19 infection, and that these infections were mild.

I saw some actual data on this somewhere(sorry, don't have time to dig it up this second), but here is an article that talks about some other places in the states.

https://www.ft.com/content/9e29ad1c-b0a5-4b7d-b569-f1f8dd0e8e04 posted:

Statewide data on incidental admissions has only recently become available in places such as New York and Massachusetts, which have started collecting the data. In New York state, 42 per cent of Covid hospitalisations in New York state are incidental while in Los Angeles county the figure is two-thirds. In Florida, the Jackson Health System reported that out of their current 508 Covid-positive patients, 53 per cent were incidental admissions.

I don't know about the death counts. I was just trying to say that sky-high hospitalizations aren't necessarily as stark as they seem.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Less Fat Luke posted:

:aaa:

Maybe I'm showing my college education but I actually had no idea there were fraternities in Canada.

I attended a couple universities and I never noticed them, but I had the same reaction when my brother told me he was in one. They were all a bunch of chill nerds though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a handgun because it's such a pain in the rear end, so I guess who cares.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

InfiniteZero posted:

You'd think people in trades would actually have a better understanding of safety precautions, at least in theory.

A friend of mine who owns a machining shop had a delivery person who kept coming in and refusing to wear a mask when he did so. Told my friend "masks are just theatre, I've had covid and now I'm naturally immune, do your research". Friend explained that it's great that he did his research but that if he also explained that he "did research" and wanted to walk onto the shop floor while they were welding and his research said he didn't need to be wearing goggles when he did so, he would ALSO be telling him to get the gently caress out then, so ... get the gently caress out until you wear your loving mask, moron.

Usually when they've witnessed death or maiming first-hand they do, but not otherwise.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
That's the worst part. He's bad, but it's not because of the great reset or because he's a secret communist. It's incredible to me how many people I hear saying that kind of thing with a straight face.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

Imagine trying to "arrest" the police. :lol:

https://twitter.com/imposter_edits/status/1558920707437957126

So no, we don't gotta "hand it to em" for hating Trudeau as well. I'll take Trudeau for a 1000 years over whatever these fuckers support. And it ain't the NDP either.

Next time I see my RCMP landlord in the yard I'm going to tell him he's under citizen's arrest for covid crimes.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Having the nipples of your giant prosthetic breasts poking out of your shirt seems pretty unprofessional to me, but maybe I'm a prude.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone here relate a Canadian Thanksgiving story from any Canadian Thanksgiving they've taken part in that has anything to do with colonialism? Are there Thanksgiving parades or something? My childhood was very secular, I'm wondering if I missed out on any of the good colonialism bits.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
She made a thoughtless statement, and she seems like an awful person, but imagining she meant that the restrictions on the unvaccinated were worse than residential schools or apartheid seems like a stretch to me. It sounded like she went to score a political point with her base. Maybe I am being too generous.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's what she loving said. You do not need to defend this.

I am not defending what she said, because I think it was incredibly foolish and laughable. I am remarking about the intellectual dishonesty of extrapolating the stupid thing she said to mean the worst possible interpretation of what she said. What she said was bad enough. I notice this intellectual dishonesty much more on the right, but that's probably a sign of my biases. This thread can be an echo chamber at times and so I am just putting up my hand and saying that it's annoying.

People are talking about her thinking that the plight of the unvaccinated is worse than various genocides. I admit I don't know a lot about this woman, maybe someone could correct me if there is a good reason to think this is actually the case.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ZShakespeare posted:

Actually that's not true. It's "we're not the BC LIberals"

This is an incredible platform, to be fair.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

One day, Frog was sitting on the bank of a river, getting ready to swim across to the polling station.

"Excuse me," said the Scorpion. " I too wish to vote; may I ride on your back?"

Frog said "but you will sting me, and I will die."

"No," said Scorpion, "I would not sting you, for then we would both drown. And also, I wish to exercise my right to vote for my government."

"That makes sense," said Frog, "get on my back, and I will take us both to the polling station."

Scorpion settled on to Frog's back, and Frog began to swim.

Half way across the river, Scorpion stung Frog.

As Frog sank beneath the waves, he said "Scorpion, why did you sting me? Now we'll both drown."

"LOL LMAO," said Scorpion, "you just got owned, you liberal beta cuck soyboy."

Yes, it's time to raise the bar in this insane echo chamber. Thank you.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

linoleum floors posted:

Less than 1% of kids under 5 have gotten vaccinated it's loving incredible how little anyone seems to care

It isn't that low, but it's still low, unless you mean something else: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccination-coverage/

edit: oh maybe you mean Alberta?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
First off, I am for increasing the minimum wage. Peg it to inflation or something.

I live in North Vancouver, and the way I do my monthly budget is set it to what a person making minimum wage working 40 hours a week would make. I take that and keep my expenses under it. This includes literally every expense in my life, including car maintenance, insurance, etc etc. I don't have kids, and I have a roommate. Without a roommate, and with kids, I could see it being impossible, but as a single person it's quite easy. Now, you definitely can't really save any money, but I regularly spend ~$500/month eating out (this might seem like a lot or a little, depending who you are). My point is there is some slack in my budget if I really wanted to tighten things up.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

If this were to pass wouldn't this mean that BC could pass something similar and then ban or heavily tariff any pipelines that AB wants to run through BC and who cares what the Feds say or do?

Anyhow this comment made me laugh:

I watched part of her interview with Jordan Peterson and she said she was interested in working with Manitoba and building a port in Hudson Bay, buying ice breakers, dare to dream, etc.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
He cheated on his wife and I guess the wokies came for him. Tale as old as time.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You'd be amazed how much gas you save by slowing down to the speed limit. I remember hearing someone say that most vehicles have their optimal range when travelling at 90 km/h, and frankly I believe it.

Yeah, it's remarkable. I have run the experiment many times, keeping things under 2000rpm at all times (which works out to ~90km/h on the highway) will get me around 31-34mpg on average vs 24-27mpg just driving however I want. Just accelerating slower and keeping some room between you and traffic so you don't have to slow down and speed up so much makes a difference. Sometimes it's fun to drive fast though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

cat botherer posted:

Wow it's crazy how if you put people in isolated areas with substandard infrastructure and no economic opportunities it still sucks for them even if they have public housing.

Good point, let's get them all to the city.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Old Swerdlow posted:

This is a great essay/article summing up why maid is fraught with issues.

https://theorchard.substack.com/p/why-i-changed-my-mind-on-maid

I thought this was interesting, thanks.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am trying to think of when this thread becomes more of an insufferable cess-pool than when it talks about the police, but I am drawing a blank.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.tiktok.com/@vancouverpoliceofficial/video/7193412491349642502

Just saw this on TikTok. Police helping educate people and keep them safe. They even help the elderly gentleman at the end. They seem pretty swell actually.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 31, 2023

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Normy posted:

FYI this link used to direct us to your profile "xxxx shared this do you want to follow them?"

drat, thanks for fixing it whoever did.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

I just can't understand this. We struggled through 3 episodes without a single real laugh moment.

It's the kind of thing that I feel like would be popular with high-schoolers who think that fart jokes are the height of comedy.
As I mentioned, we only watched 3 episodes and they had somehow already beaten 5+ catchphrases and gags to death. The writer seems to think that you can work around an awful script and terrible characters by just inserting as many "clever" wordplays as they can think of.

I am not exaggerating for effect when I say it is the worst show I have ever put eyes on.
But yes, it does feel like I'm existing in some alternative universe or something because it seems to be widely acclaimed by both critics and the general public. It completely baffles me.

I'm with you. One of my brothers, who I think I'm very similar to, loves it and I don't get it. I'm glad so many people enjoy it, but it's so unappealing to me.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It would be convenient if more conservative politicians were cops because that would allow me to get around some of the pesky forum rules about advocating the execution of public officials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am working at a refinery right now and my team has made friends with one of the operators here. He's a kind dude in his mid 50s, just a really sweet guy. Brings us treats and stuff, always quick to help. Talks a lot about helping out in the community. We've talked to him a lot.

The other day someone went on a rant about how Trudeau had to die, and this kindly gentleman immediately joined in, wondering aloud why no one had done it yet.

It boggles my loving mind.