Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Already had an old gammon who looked like latter day Shaun Ryder threaten to kick my dogs head in for barking at him, so I feel like my few hours in NI is delivering in spades

My first day in NI a few years back, I met my sister at a pub quite early in the day and one of the old fellas definitely muttered oval office at me when I ordered a diet coke at the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Mine will be about 6 weeks after my first. Given the original trials were done on a 4 week gap, this is better than expected. Also I'd already booked Monday off work and the jab is this Sunday so looks like no sickday for me!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

The BBC are trying to blame the host broadcaster for trying to get footage of Christian Eriksen being almost dead on a football pitch, rather than admitting that they could have cut away to the studio or literally anything else if they weren't massive loving ghouls.

Wishing him a speedy recovery and not too big a fine for having to miss press commitments (unless that's only a tennis law).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Actually I'm reliably informed that the reason people won't vote Labour is precisely because of lefties not supporting Starmer supporting the government. Support Labour: vote Tory.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've watched Snowpiercer and played Frostpunk so I'm prepared for the inevitable extreme ice age that is definitely on the cards, global warming global schwarming.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

HopperUK posted:

They wouldn't do it if it didn't work on anyone, I assume.

It's a selection process, they've replaced the post office with an estate agents and when you go and hand over your ID to pick up your post they use it to steal your identity and house

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In my case our warranty is tied in to having a serviced boiler, so for at least 7 years since we got our new boiler (in 2017, predictably soon after moving in) we'll be continuing to pay the £40 annual service charge. Meant that a bunch of minor repairs this year were all free that otherwise might've cost hundreds.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Party Boat posted:

This surely has to be the killer blow.

Yeah buddy, politicians facing consequences for their actions, yeah that's a thing that totally happens

Also Cummings probably fancied this aide and that's what got him so angry at him, much more believable than hating him for poor performance. This is why he likes Give, he knows ain't nobody lining up for a piece of that

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone was egging me on to stand for town council and I said noone will vote for me because I have a good solution to the dog poop and fast cars problems which occupy the minds of most of the denizens of our town: watchtowers manned by snipers every 200m to take out owners of dogs who don't pick up the dog poop or to take out drivers of cars with noisy engines or who drive at more than 20mph around the streets. He thought I was joking.

Forget the town council, you'll be in Starmer's shadow cabinet if he hears you saying stuff like that

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He's [DH] shown there is no depth to the amount of ineptitude he's not willing to go to bat for, pretty good form really

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Julio Cruz posted:

posting like I'm in the baseball thread, gently caress the DH

At least you didn't think it was mumsnet ("Dear husband")

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/mr_considerate/status/1408724904237797380

See if you can guess who the author is from that paragraph. You’re probably right.

I like how she decries friends denouncing her via twitter but then mistakenly also notes they have actually - repeatedly - told her they disagree with her. Can't even get her own story of personal oppression straight. And what a world we live in, where people stop being friends with someone just because they find their views to be hideous. She'd probably get on well with Rees Mogg too.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Kud really should have leant into it and told the pigs he agrees with "kill the bill"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/WorkersPartyGB/status/1410245443884359686

does anyone have this poll? also if the electorate is this small then he might totally win.

All this time, Jo Swinson was just George Galloway's secret identity?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I paid off all my credit card the other day (paid for 2 bathrooms on it), got to the end of the 28 month 0% period but didn't quite get my final payment in on time. 10p of interest, nooooo

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mebh posted:

Bought a nice sofa with it and paid for eye surgery for the wife.

Risky move for us goons! :awesomelon:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My in laws are thinking of buying a second home near us so they can
a) visit whenever they like
b) rent it out as an airbnb when they're not there

Boomers eh? Oh well it'll be a nice inheritance for when I retire at 75 with a negligible pension

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

jiggerypokery posted:

The fact that this is a sane financial decision is the exact problem

And even if the airbnb thing just doesn't work and it just sits empty 90% of the time they'll still have another property gaining more value than any potential savings account ever would

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hmm literal government stormtrooper squadron bashing in doors to destroy degenerate art. Seems like a bad omen of something

Just remember, the real fascists are those that would suggest any link between actions like this and fascism.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like the England flags strategically deployed to protect it

It's like using human shields, except more offensive (and sexy, to some)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was really pissed off with Channel 5 in about 1998 when they cancelled Xena half way through series 4 leading me to spend over £300 on the entire 6 series boxset of VHS. Now you can just download the lot for free. That's the last time I buy a boxed set!

Wow, I haven't seen the term "boxed set" used to correctly describe a literal physical boxed set in so many years, it brings a tear to my eyes. Now it's just used to describe a show being on Netflix or whatever (often even when they don't have the whole show).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm sure Dominic Raab, Michael Gove, or any of the other contenders will be so much better for us than Johnson. At least Boris is *lazy*.

With Bojo once again in critical condition, Starmer crosses the floor to take his rightful place as PM

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I love the beeb take that it's okay that Saj visited a care home t'other day because everyone there is double vaccinated. You know, like the guy they're talking about who has caught and likely spread the plague.

Any of the million who are getting pinged this week that isolates, is a total mug. But then we all are aren't we?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Soricidus posted:

I haven’t been pinged and Im going to be isolating anyway. Taken the week off work, plenty of netflix to catch up on while I hide and wait for the dust to settle

To be fair it's what we should all be doing, except without taking holiday, ie general strike. If our opposition had any spine they would at least walk out whenever they're in the same chamber as the PM/Chancellor but that won't be happening. Even Don Hodges has more spine.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I have a feeling the BBC's headline that there is No Need To Panic Buy is going to lead to a lot of questions already answered by the headline

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If you want a truly deep dive into curry culture you should read the last few pages of the Shadow Hearts Covenant thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883446&pagenumber=94&perpage=40

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think JRM and Bojo have done quite enough pumping and dumping already thank you (at least JRM knows how many kids he has though)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It truly is the End Times, Tesco didn't have their fake Baileys in my click and collect shop today. Plus in a fit of dramatic irony, they forgot to give me my gammon (but it still cost me, yeees).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Every time Starmy does something people dislike him even more... when will Corbyn's bloodlust be sated?

Also you say the article gets worse as it goes on, but it peaks with the very first line in the article. I mean holy poo poo it's just gobbledegook.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 31, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Mods please rename me to "Greek Fisherman's Cap"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
This is about the closest to genuine journalism from a Brit that I've read in a long time
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/tried-morrisons-cafes-full-english-5706129.amp

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Trickjaw posted:

You reckon? It reads very like much like an account from a Christian missionary in deepest, darkest africa.

Still better than the drek most of our alleged journalists pump out

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
24 hour alpacatoirs

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
May Ryland, but of course

302 is the area code for Dee La Ware, just to the east of Marr Island

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 13, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lady Demelza posted:

A colleague is very excited about the new build house that he's bought, which isn't actually built yet. It's an eye-watering sum, based off a photo of some wasteland and some swish CGI of what the house might look like. He's so happy and I'm biting my tongue because everyone I've ever known who has lived in a new build has had problems.

One of my colleagues moved into his new build a few weeks ago, and he's already fighting a losing battle against damp. 5 dehumidifiers, that can't be normal? Two other workmates are moving into the same development in the coming weeks. F F F

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect anybody who thinks voter ID is a good idea is trying to disenfranchise people whether they say it or not, so I doubt that will dissuade them.

I've seen Americans saying very earnestly that voting should not be easy, wonder how long until this viewpoint becomes common over here.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
First trebuchet, and now deep batman cannon

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'd read a lot of defences about Raab that said it was OK because he got a deputy to make the call. I'm sure all of those people will be joining in on the condemnation now it turns out that actually no one could be bothered to make the call

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jel Shaker posted:

they’re going to try to start blaming a junior minister, which gives the impression it’s some 20 something intern on their first day but in reality it’s a 50 year old drunkard careerist

Well its Zac Goldsmith who is absolutely as bad as anyone could have guessed, these idiots don't seem to understand that even if you do delegate a role and some wazzock fucks it up, it's still the responsibility of the person who did the delegating. But on this island England, Zac will put out a press release saying he delegated it to an even more junior person, so that we might finally have the head of the true culprit (the cleaning lady, perhaps).

I did have a look on twitter, the bootlickers say it's not Raab's fault and it didn't matter anyway (I think it's clear they're saying the interpreters don't matter). Bonus points for the one dedicated account saying how hard Raab works, but I think they're satire. They do like ending their posts with clown smileys, hard to resist the urge to tell them to stop signing their tweets...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I forgot my clubcard while I was buying the jaffa cake donuts a few weeks back, was v distraught to have paid full price rather than half. Pretty good though, would buy again (on offer)