Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm looking at mITX boards and need a sanity check. I'm switching from an ATX X570 board to a mITX format. I don't really use the extended I/O of the X570 and am trying to figure out which chipset I really need.

This is going in an open xProto case with the following bits - so nothing too beefy right now
SeaSonic Focus GX-750 PSU
Ryzen 2600X
M2 NVME drive
EVGA 1650 Super

I would like at some point to upgrade to a more modern processor, probably a used 5600X/5800X in a couple year's time, and probably a 30X0 video card in a couple years. I think based on new BIOS updates it will be possible to use a B450 board with Ryzen 5X00 series processors. Additionally, the PCI-e riser I am using is PCI-e 3.0 only, so there doesn't seem to be much benefit to having PCI-e 4.0 with the B550. Based on this, does it make sense to get a B450 board (like the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi) and save 70 bucks or so over a similar B550 board? I don't really have budget constraints, but obviously not really in to spending money for no real purpose. I am leaning towards the B450, but am interested to hear any reasons people would have to go one way or another. I am slightly worried I'm missing something. Also open to any mITX suggestions for B450 - I am pretty set on the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro Wifi if I do go B550, but I'm less aware of what's good or bad in B450 world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It definitely doesn't right now, but that is a good consideration I had not thought of.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think that's a real risk. The main cause of the shortage is increases in demand for graphics cards, rather than decreases in supply. Someone posted Steam hardware survey results and the adoption curve for 30x0 cards is basically the same as the curve for 20x0 cards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ben shapino posted:

The vendor doesn't accept returns unfortunately. So I'm stuck with my current PSU for now unless I get extensions or another case :(

you can sell a almost-new SFF PSU for something close to what you paid for it and buy a new ATX PSU that's just as good for less money, and you don't have to gently caress about with extensions.

Why you would buy a SFF PSU without needing one is another question entirely but that ship has sailed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

M.2 is a form factor standard - the advantage of M.2 drives over 2.5" SATA SSD drives is that they are about the size of a stick of gum and screw in to a specific slot in your motherboard without cables. M.2 form factor drives can use either SATA or NVMe to transfer data; NVMe is faster although you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in day-to-day.

edit: extremely smoked by coolcab

edit2: though i would argue the standoff and screw are not bad and it's a one time operation that beats the poo poo out of cable mgt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 10, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AutismVaccine posted:

what other posters said +

Depending on the motherboard/chipset a M.2 socket is directly connected to the CPU - that means very high bandwidth and no work for the chipset --> if there is a fan on the chipset, it will almost never spin

if there are two M.2 sockets, typically one of them is driven off the chipset and one off the CPU, so you should make sure you are using the right one!

CoolCab posted:

:grin:

well, unless you lose the little tiny screw when you first build the machine not realizing how mission critical it is, then have to buy it on amazon for five loving pounds and can't install your drive for a week, then after the amazon parcel arrived find the original lost screw. ask me how i know!

Yeah I bought a sack of 50 M.2 screws off the internet for a couple bucks once, then finally found the original screws that shipped with the mobo. pro tip for all yall: screw the retaining screw in to the standoff even if you aren't using the M.2 slot. I have some dumb rear end mother board with a heatsink on the M.2 slot that requires some special snowflake screw now, which is even worse.

ephphatha posted:

I've recently got a sit/stand desk and have moved my PC onto the desk since the cables weren't log enough to handle raising to the stand position, which makes me want a smaller case so it's not as visually imposing. That combined with some system instability caused by the onboard audio is enough motivation for me to shop for an upgrade.

I mainly use this machine for programming projects, the games I play run fine with the current components and my monitor setup so I'll be fine to keep the GPU for a while. From the sounds of it the performance difference between 3200 and 3600 ram isn't quite enough to bother with upgrading so thinking I'll keep that too. I also don't have an easy way to run a wired network connection so wireless or a mobo that supports the 2230 wifi card is an advantage. I do want a decently large SSD, I'll be moving the HDDs to a dedicated NAS but I still end up needing about 1.5TB of space with the games/programs/assets I currently use.

With that in mind I'm looking at the following (prices in AUD):
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($397.00 @ JW Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($248.90 @ Amazon Australia) - :australia: and mITX motherboards limit choice here, this is cheaper than available b550i boards
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($309.00 @ BPC Technology)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual Series Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop Case ($88.00 @ JW Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($206.00 @ JW Computers)
Total: $1248.90

Two things I could use help with, first is that I'm not sure if the PSU is appropriate for this system. I've seen recent advice being to get something overspecced for when (if) the GPU market stabilises and more power hungry cards come out, but given the CPU is so low power draw I might be fine with an sf600 instead? Also I'd like to replace the CPU cooler, I'm tempted to go with a sidemount AIO water cooler (despite that being overkill :v:), any recommendations there would be appreciated.

I would avoid that motherboard due to the chipset fan. It didn't bother me on a MSI A-Pro X-570 motherboard that lived in a giant box under the desk, but up by your ear you're going to want to keep it really quiet. I've noticed a lot more noises on the computer being audible, distinct, and annoying since I moved it up to the surface of the sit/stand desk - of course I also took it out of the box and am in an open case, which doesn't help matters eithe, but. I'd cough up the $30 bucks to get rid of that fan. As an alternative, the 5600X is 65W TDP and if you're not in to hard core overclocking beyond PBO, the B450 version should be able to drive everything you've listed there without any issues, and that looks like it's about 200 bucks on Amazon.com.au. I have the B450 version of the board and like it (and the fact that it cost half of what the B550 version does!) - only problem is losing Wifi 6 and USB C as well as 1 M.2s slot if you care.

Not sure what you're looking for in terms of wifi - 2230 is a M.2 card size for small wifi PCI-E cards. Something like the B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi has I believe an Intel 9560 adapter that supports a bunch of poo poo - unless you need Wifi 6 that board or pretty much any B450 board with integrated wifi should be fine.

You should be OK with a 600W high quality PSU.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can't really replace the chipset fan in a meaningful or useful way as it's a tiny fan that's integrated in to the heatsink of the chipset

It'll probably be fine as you have the whole thing in a box. People get annoyed by the fans because they are a different frequency noise. I didn't really when my computer was in a box but since I went open case I decided to avoid it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You were not kidding. I'm falling down a pretty deep rabbit hole. :sweatdrop:

holy poo poo this is amazing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

have a friend make one for you?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah and MSI says they'll send you all the gear you need to reflash the bios if you for some reason do not have access to it yourself. But I think doing it yourself would only involve a pc to download the bios update and a usb stick anyway.

If you don't have a flashback button you need to use an older, compatible CPU to update the BIOS. In that case they'll send you a CPU.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

1. Country - UK
2. Usage - Mainly work (browser based applications, VPN) some light Photoshop, 3D work and the option to play some 3D games.
3. Budget - Ideally £600 or less but I am flexible. Not more than £700 unless a discrete GPU is included.
4. Gaming needs - Med/low details is fine. I am more likely to play stuff like Stellaris/Total War. I would like to play some open world games (eg Cyberpunk) but I'm not a Battlefield/CoD person.
5. Other considerations - Has to be small.

Between small, cheap and quiet I will take small and cheap as long as its quiet under regular us (web browsing, word processing)

My current PC is a 5 year old XPS13 (9330) and it's starting to show its age. I've already changed the battery twice and there aren't any branded (and hence problem free) replacements available any more. It meets all the needs I have bar 3D gaming which it just can't handle.

I have an even older, but more capable desktop but it's a gigantic ATX tower and I want to get rid of it. I still want a second PC for when the laptop eventually croaks. I am hoping to build a more compact machine cheaply with the option of slotting in a GPU in the future when prices improve and/or I find time to play games again.

I posted this in the SFF thread and I've adjusted it with some feedback

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (£234.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£80.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£70.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case (£77.51 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk)

Questions
1. Does RAM speed matter a huge amount given my modest needs?
2. I will never use a high-end GPU - do I need the extra 600w supply or can I get away with 450w. A 3060Ti brings this to to about 350w consumption.

Hey I'll give you feedback here too! Looking a lot better. If you really plan to never use a high end card 450W in your rig, the Corsair SFF PSU you had before would be just fine. I figured since you were holding out for a GPU you wanted something beefier.

You can back off to 3200 CL14 for roughly equivalent performance (1-3% hit estimate), but going down to that 2666 stuff you had before is going to be significantly slower. It would make more sense for me for your incremental $ to go towards the better RAM and the cheaper ASRock B550 versus the (better) Gigabyte board and worse RAM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Well I've always figured that the FPS-es like Cyberpunk is something for the future with a proper GPU. Also since when did total war become a resource hog? I used to play Shogun 20 years ago and while the modern stuff is prettier it's still no Crysis. Potato mode surely exists if needed?

Thanks for the thoughts, this is very helpful. Having done more checking:

1. I have to use the MSI mobo as the Asrock one isn't compatible without a BIOS update and I can't do it without a CPU installed.

2. There's only about a £15 difference between a Corsair 450w Platinum and a Fractal node 650w Gold. Is there any major difference in quality? I'm tempted to just pay a little extra for the 650w in this case.

3. Is the partpicker accurate for prices or are there reputable retailers who are not on it? Having played with the numbers downgrading components doesn't look like it's saving me a huge amount.

4. Do I need a custom cooler at this stage or is it something to consider once I get a GPU?

1. There are options here, possibly. I don't know the UK market but here in the US if you buy a motherboard without bios flashback in person from say, MicroCenter, they'll loan you a CPU to do the update. However, regardless of how you slice it, doing a non-flashback update is going to be more of a pain so it might be worth ~30 quid to you just to not have to deal with it. The Gigigabyte motherboard is better anyway.

2. Corsair is highly reputable for SFF PSUs, but the Fractal is evidently a Seasonic SGX on the inside, which is also good. It has a ten year warranty so over its lifetime you really won't be spending much more over the lifecycle. It's a SFX-L so it's a bit deeper than the Corsair SFX PSU.

3. Can't speak to UK market but yes, in general cost savings between good components and mediocre components is very small. It looks like with relatively good components you came in right about at your 700 budget, so if that works for you I think you've done well.

4. The included cooler will work just fine although it will be a bit noisy. If you hate the noise level after the fact, switching it out is not totally trivial (in that you have to disassemble a bunch of the PC to get to the back of the motherboard for most retaining plates), but it's also not difficult at all and is just a quick little rebuild. A decent air cooler that fits in the NR200 is going to run you about 30 quid after the fact.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

change my name posted:

I'm moving next week but my new place is fairly close so I was just going to take out my GPU and walk my system over. Should I remount my CPU cooler in case it shakes loose or am I just being insanely paranoid for no reason?

Anecdote is not data or whatever but I moved PCs by hand, in cars, and given them to movers at various points and I never bothered to do anything about the tower cooler. Each time it was perfectly fine. It's hard to get four springload screws to back out without actually trying.

I guess you could give it a lil tug to see if it's loose after you get it in to the new place for peace of mind.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

On this point, which cooler are you thinking of? The Scythe Fuma 2 recommended in the OP is 70 quid. I had it in the build originally but took it out since I reasoned I was unlikely to be overclocking the system.

Looks like the Scythe Mugen 5 is available from Overclockers.uk for 50, that would provide quite a bit of cooling. BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2 is about 33, that would be a nice budget option that will be quieter and cooler than the stock cooler.

Since you've already blown the budget by a hair, I'd start with the stock cooler, and if it irritates you, you can replace it later.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Thermal is a real possibility. Get the system nice and loaded in flight sim and tab out to check temps (or actively watch if you have two screens. Use HWinfo or whatever.

you can log temps using hwinfo which is probably easier/better than tabbing out or trying to observe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You could also try posting a want ad in SA-Mart if you trust goons (do not trust goons), and lots of people post old hardware on there that they are getting rid of, too, so you might be able to find something reasonable like a Skylake motherboard and processor for cheap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

micro center is tight

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rinkles posted:

i never even entertained the idea of spending more than $400 on a GPU before

poo poo it pained me to spend $189 on a 1650 Super in like February 2020... that card is now selling used on ebay for like $350.

i am a cheap sob about weird stuff basically

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in case you wanna connect three monitors to your integrated gpu

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Completely mad idea here but bear with me. I built my RyZ3n 5600x machine with 16GB 3200MHz RAM on an MSI B550-A Pro on 10th February 2021.

Would it be loving mental of me to sell the CPU and motherboard, and buy a 12600K and equivalent motherboard now? I'm not gaming on this thing and the performance is lovely, but for the first time in ad decade, a year-on-year upgrade actually seems possibly something to consider?

why do you want to do this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's not a want, it's a question! Your response makes me think it's loving madness... I take it the cost and bother aren't worth it?

as other people have posted, it's spending a good chunk of time effort and money to marginally improve performance. why bother, unless you have some real need for 10/10ths peak performance right now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

they almost always have an off state, yeah. honestly the biggest appeal of the glass case is to show off the components therein, the uh diagnostic advantage is kind of superficial.

i guess if you have the uh little boot up error lights on your mobo you can see them with out opening the case

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that thing rules

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

So I'm finally in a position to replace my 2500k with something made in the last decade.

Is there a good tool for doing comparatives for motherboards? I've basically decided Z690 chipset, but of course every manufacturer and their mom has like 6 different versions of this and they're all different. Or maybe someone just straight up knows the answer to what I'm looking for:

Z690 chipset
Must haves:
DDR5 support with 4 DIMMs
A decent number of USB ports on the IO panel (ie. more than like, 6)
I guess a bunch of SATA ports?
Some m.2 would be nice I guess

Nice to haves:
Onboard bluetooth

Don't give a poo poo abouts:
Onboard wireless

You absolutely want M.2 drive slot(s) - one at minimum. That's what all good, fast storage comes as these days.

Someone already posted about DDR5 and how it's not useful right now and they are correct.

It would be helpful to know what you're trying to hook up in terms of internal storage to SATA and external peripherals to USB. When you say USB ports on the IO panel, do you mean the rear IO panel only, or are you also counting front panel ports run off of a header? SATA ports are only important if you plan to hook up a bunch of platter drives, slower SSDs, or you are really in to optical drives or other weird things. Most Z.690 boards should have four or six SATA ports which should be plenty unless you have crazy use cases.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm honestly a little scared to go past 1080p and 60Hz. I don't do any competitive gaming, but if I switched to higher resolutions or framerates, I'm not sure I'd be able to ever switch back.

this is also my nonsensical attitude: it's expensive to get there and I am cheap

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Monitors are not that pricey anymore. You can land a nice 1440p@144hz for around $250.

This is true. I hate throwing out working electronics, though. Once either my decade-old Samsung 220WM or my half-decade old Dell P2417h dies I'll get a new monitor!

At the rate that's going, I'll be able to land a nice 4k/144 display for around $250 and I'll need a $1900 GTX5070 to drive it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

keep them in action! don't fall prey to the "oh mismatched monitors oh no" nerds, build towards that cyberpunk wall of half broken CRTs aesthetic. two monitors good three monitors better, because you can get a portrait one goin.

they don't fit at my desk or else i would. mismatched, all different resolutions, stand types, etc :gritin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The motherboard is usable for a modern Intel 12th gen system, though I wouldn't put a 12900 in it or anything (and probably not a 12700 either, though it's doable). If you don't want a bundled motherboard, then EVGA has their 3070 Ti XC3 in stock for $720, which is "just" 20% over MSRP.

lol it sucks that i saw this and was like "yo thats a pretty decent deal"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i was the kind of kid who took apart random old electronics for fun and put them back together so i've never really understood the anxiety around building a PC but like... the point is to have a PC to play games/do whatever. if you don't think that building is going to be fun for you and you are willing to deal with price premiums and other antics around prebuilds, don't build a PC!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cruiserweight posted:

yeah, comes with two, tried both.

It wouldn’t work anyway, you have an F processor which means no integrated graphics. Can you borrow or scrounge up an old known working graphics card to test?

I assume you tried individual RAM sticks and switching slots already as was suggested.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Thanks for all your input! I'm collecting everything and will relay it to him.

I did not know that France hat Alternate. I've had good experience with them in my neck of the woods. No telling how it is over there, but it does instill some conficende.

I'm gonna be back to let you know the end result!

The SATA cables stuck out to me as particularly expensive (25€ for two??) and you can also save that money by going NVME.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

galenanorth posted:

This is going to be a very dumb post. Putting the new cooler in with the correct orientation didn't work, and it wasn't any better than before. I tried removing the fan not between the heatsinks and that made it worse, like 10 degrees hotter. I cut two of the zip-ties holding the wires together and still couldn't get them to move very far. I think it might just be that they're too taut to move. However, I spent hours cleaning the original stock cooler by removing dust bunnies with a toothpick. Then I used alcohol wipes on the exterior, then I cleaned off the old thermal paste and put it back in with new thermal paste on the CPU. Before, I was only kinda cleaning some of the top surface beneath the fans with a dry paper towel without taking it out. At baseline when the CPU is fluctuating at its lowest, the lowest number I see with the stock cooler is 4C lower than before. When I do the same A Hat in Time starting area test as before (82% CPU usage), the CPU quad core now runs at 50C/55C/51C/52C, 35 degrees C cooler than before, with 66C for the GPU.

It’s pretty obvious that you are not installing the non stock cooler correctly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Remembering to put the IO panel in the back of the case before installing the motherboard.

it's this or reinstalling all your software

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

PC Building Megathread: Are you sure you want ITX?

mods???

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SFF PCs will absolutely outperform laptops dollar for dollar, and lots of people have smaller space requirements and still want performance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

you have to understand there is a fairly substantial "price to performance" logic in more or less all of my building, it is more or less impossible to convince me to make a downgrade there purely on aesthetics alone. from that perspective SFF is "hey, what if it did less but don't worry it also costs more" lol

how are you pro laptop then mr cold ironclad price to performance logic? laptop price to performance sucks

for SFF cases are a little bit more expensive as are true SFF power supplies but for the normal use case in this thread (play games, poast) you're paying the same amount for CPU, cooling, RAM, GPU, storage, etc. Just pricing out a fairly normal 5600X/3070ti build, you pay about $150 premium for SFF vs an ATX build on a $1300 base cost. It's not nothing but it's not a huge amount of money to spend, and to get similar performance in a laptop is basically impossible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes i too agree that at the ultra extreme end of SFF that it has transformed entirely in to a odd minmax hobby rather than an attempt to actually build anything useful and cost effective, but nobody in this thread is doing that

you seem to think that people should be willing to pay a premium for capabilities (regardless if they are interested in them! I don't care about portability, why should I then buy a laptop? I don't care about having a home server, why should I care about cramming drives in to my PC?) but footprint is not a capability that anyone should pay a premium for, unless it's at the margins where you want to have a laptop. weird poo poo dude.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

we are definitely deep in to semantics but I don't think anyone would argue that SFF/ITX is not more expensive, it's just a personal question as to whether that's worthwhile for the individual

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

is there a decent way to buy an OEM CPU without the cooler? I really do not want to throw away yet another AMD stock cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i just prefer not generate more random garbage than i have to, that's all