Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
enemy designer be like "i sat down two years ago and started sketching but no one ever told me to stop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
visual fidelity doesn't matter so much to me if what it's depicting is striking enough

i was genuinely awestruck when i first saw ash lake. no amount of lovingly rendered mossy concrete or reflective puddles could compare

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

god getting so fed up with the kids' squabbling that he decides to pack a bag and move out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/PsiHypo/status/1403406303792406533

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
good thread title

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I just barely beat Magrit, jesus christ.

That might not have quite been Sword Saint Isshin levels of ridiculous, but that was still pretty tough for an early boss.

magrit is a gentle reminder from miyazaki that this is an open-world game and there's plenty other places for you to go

so i did, and came back twenty levels later to show him what i'd learned

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Has anyone used the Cipher Pata? I'm juicing my faith to 30 to be able to use it but I'm afraid I'll hate it. If I equip the +5 faith talisman can I equip it with 25 faith?

read elsewhere that it wasn't great, which isn't surprising. weapons like that are usually silly gimmicks best used for PVP builds

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

knight artorias has reached his final evolutionary form

god help anyone who prevents me from becoming best mates with this guy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that moment after beating godrick sure is something

me: whew that's the first major boss down, wonder how much more of the map there is

elden ring: ha ha ha

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in the Bad Red Place and the divine tower of caelid is literally nightmarish. this is what acrophobes see when the Devil gets into their eyes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the entire Caelid region is a loving hive of horrors. it’s like From flayed the Old Hunters DLC and stretched its skin across a quarter of the continent. I did an ill-advised gallop over a good portion of it and everything I saw was the worst possible thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah it seems that every section of the map has a Big Important Dungeon and that's what the trails of grace lead towards

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i make bombs, arrows, and plenty of tasty raisins for torrent

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

huh posted:

Runes will come and runes will go. This is certain.

Sometimes I hear a faint, delicate ringing sound. What is that? I just heard it before dropping down into the dark under Stormveil Castle.

the chime indicates that an ashen dung beetle is nearby

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stormveil castle question: in the room with the grafted scion, there's a wooden platform overhead with an item. how do i get there?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's a pile of sand bags on the stone hallway leading to the scion. Hop over them and look for a ladder

there's three different routes to this chamber and i'm not seeing ladders in any of them. do you mean the room with the fireplace?

e: aha, found it. Cheers

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 27, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my major complaint so far is that i'm 24 hours in and still using my starting armor and broadsword. this may have been a consequence of trying to go STR - i want to keep to medium weight but even with the equipment load talisman i'm not able to use anything really worthwhile, and the rest of my skills are languishing as i try to build up my stamina. getting pretty tired of all the really cool kit i find being DEX-based

some of these prizes are lackluster too. i brought down that terrifying bastard at the weaponmaster's shack and the reward is letting me buy bones? i've already got bones for days

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

If you want a zweihander its purchasable on the southernmost zone, and that whole area has a bundle of different strength weapons.

oh i got that bad boy soon as i saw it, i just can't equip it without consequently rolling at the speed of smell

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dusting off one of my old favorites

Oxxidation posted:

tfw your opponent's Posture meter is near full and flashing red and you've got a sliver of life and no heals left and a wicked little devil in your brain is going "choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

ok real talk how the gently caress can we possibly go back to dark souls after this.

miyazaki you have gone too far

they're going back to armored core after this one so i think he agrees with you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Still thinking about that jank rear end watchdog boss and the lovely reward lmao. I love it

I feel like people with pupaphobia would not have a great time with that thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

School Nickname posted:

gently caress the two Erdtree Burial Watchdogs fight, 15k souls down the drain. What a horseshit gank boss, I've given up on it for now. Even the jellyfish is wiped before you get two hits in.

i'm pretty sure they're very weak to sorcery but my character has the INT of a turnip so that does little good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
almost everything in Caelid paints the floor with me and yet I can’t stay away. it’s just so endlessly, fascinatingly horrible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tried to ride north and my eyeballs exploded

so, i won't be doing that again for a while

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Madness posted:

oh that's a great tip and I can summon it!

that particular boss also acts a lot more menacing than it actually is. sure it's always thrashing all over the place but its movements are so frantic that it can seldom actually hit you, most of its combos have maybe two attacks apiece. when it spontaneously combusts itself it starts doing chip damage, but its novas can be guarded against and even with a fresh character you're able to tank its hardest hits with enough time to dodge the follow-up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flytrap posted:

You also get the classic Lightning spells.

the lightning spear has become my best friend, the flinch on it is crazy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

I found Miriam. she sucks.

it's telling that the entire stage is built with the expectation you're going to be running the hell away from her

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there anything in particular I have to do to make the loooooathsome DUNG EATER show up? I’ve already got Roderika’s shop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

I'm very unsure about what stats to level going forward. I like straight swords, greatswords and cool hammers. I'm a knight. But I do love using ashes and think spells are cool. But I have know idea how to balance vigor, endurance, strength and dex, as well as if there is room to level mind or arcane or other stuff for fun...

Here are my stats now:

I'm butting heads against Cailid, but it's pretty rough. Should I head into Liurna lakes instead or just level up more?

Caelid is a bad place, possibly the worst place. Liurnia is the intended next region

you can get a pretty good idea of where regions are difficulty-wise from the rune drops. a Vulgar Militia in Raya Lucaria drops around 150 runes. in Caelid it’s over 1000

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i assume this has been posted but i'm doing it again

minor spoilers throughout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MW-qdNoYA

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how do you get at the structures atop that enormous stone ridge in raya lucaria? I’m looking for a way to climb it and it’s sheer rock all around

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ograbme posted:

Can you remove skills from a shield? I never got the hang of Dark Souls parries and would rather use the L2 button for my sword blood slash.

yes, just apply the "No Skill" ash

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

:lol:

carefully do hit and run attacks on radahn: die like 10 times

2hand bloodhound fang and get all up in his face mashing attack: die twice and kill him in under a minute the 3rd time

why does this strategy work every single time

it's a similar principal for the bell-bearing hunter. all his nastiest attacks are at mid-to-long range

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
got all three imbued sword keys and took a walking tour through the belfries

first belfry: got splattered by furious knight, went home
second belfry: vindication.avi
third belfry: what in christ's name is this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
margit has a huge pile of HP relative to anything else in the region besides godrik himself. it all but guarantees that, if you’re fighting him early, you’ll slip up one time too many

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does anyone know the consequences of killing D early? i know someone who accidentally shanked him during their initial encounter and want to know how many quests they might have broken

fia's is right out for example but i hope they didn't screw themselves out of rogier and ranni's questline

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah it's the platforming. The problem is there's a VERY slight delay when jumping.

I just got on aggro since he has an instant jump and just hoped I wouldn't fall off (spoiler: I did fall off once when I dismounted on one of the wall decorations and not one of the ladder platforms)

edit: Oh i see. The inside of the tower is just awful too. They put the angry dev to work on the Caelid parts of the game I guess

miyazaki had a nightmare about falling and woke up filled with inspiration

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

That Dang Dad posted:

I had also completely lost the plot by this point, I didn't really understand why I was doing the things I was doing or why these people were fighting me. Like, Gideon Ofnir went from my battle grandpa to my enemy when it seemed like he didn't care back at Roundtable? .

i can't speak to the rest of your complaints but this just isn't paying attention. it was made clear over and over again that ofnir was an ambition-crazed bastard who'd been ruining lives left and right in his pursuit of lordship. not only was he bound to betray you, he betrayed you prematurely when ensha jumped the gun after you got the haligtree medallion half

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Go into the sewers of Leyndall, then get yourself to the bottom of those, easy to compared to most sewer things, and in the back of a big room with some lobsters is a hidden chapel. It's like a dungeon nestled with a sub-dungeon of the big-dungeon (and there's a secret room beyond that even but idk what it's about yet). Anyway won't spoil the dungeon gimmick but definitely go out of your way to get to this place. Also if that weren't enough, the boss of the place guards a talisman that increases your HP, FP, Carry weight, and Poise + 1, meaning there's a lesser version somewheres too. Best talisman I've found so far.

the lesser version can actually be one of the very first items you find. it's deep in the fringefolk hero's grave, on a secret path accessed by dropping off that narrow bridge on the chariot run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm willing to claim that the fallingstar beasts are just Bad Design all around

they're permanently furious bullfight bosses made of living rock with projectile attacks, AOE and gravity powers. one of those things is bad enough, let alone all of the above. and you fight one in a space the size of a master bedroom

if there's a way to bring them down other than rot spam i'd be happy to hear it