Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
From a storytelling perspective these games are definitely becoming a parody of themselves (does this new game set in a new world really need to center around "embers" and "extinguishing a flame?"), but from a gameplay perspective this one really looks like a breath of fresh air. All of the enemies, bosses, etc, shown look a lot more creative, interesting, and fun than most of the content in dks3.

IMHO each Dark Souls sequel has felt a little greyer and less fantastical than the last, and I'm extremely pumped that this one seems like it's reversing course in a big way.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

When the first trailer for this thing dropped, i thought "drat, if they're able to mix breath of the wild and dark souls, that could absolutely kick rear end." Excited to hear that they've done exactly that, and absolutely nailed it

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Rusty posted:

I find it weird that hundreds of people on Twitter think not having a quest checklist on the screen at all times is some sort of accessibility issue. It's probably just the Twitter thing where people need to be mad about something though.

games have morphed into work... literally just checklists of busywork bullshit. so people are confused when games come out that are actually games (you just freely play with them however you want) and don't attempt to emulate work

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

How MUCH harder if the game if you roll a naked wretch? I generally love rolling wretches because it makes every single bit of item discovery noteworthy: you're ecstatic when you first find any sort of pants, any sort of gloves, literally any weapon beyond a club, etc. But the game is pretty stingy when it comes to handing out souls... clearing out a full dungeon, including the boss, only lets me level up once or twice. I've cleared out most of the starting area and can probably head towards margit, but i'm looking at my pathetic little hp bar and thinking "hmm. i might be in trouble"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the super-early game will be a little tougher but it evens out really quick. being a few levels "behind" a more optimal class for your build matters less and less the more levels you have to begin with

this adds up, thanks, just making sure I wasn't setting myself up for a 100-hour difficulty spike

Khanstant posted:

IDK how much harder with no frame of reference, but I often regret rolling Wretch just because I'm aware of how gimped my stats are whenever I pick a new item and I need to put 4 more levels into a random stat that most starting classes had already

this is currently where I'm at. Had to waste a ton of souls just to be able to use literally any weapon besides a club, and haven't been able to put anything into endurance or vigor. I guess it's not really "wasting" souls but it sure feels like it!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I have mixed feelings about spirit ashes. I've been using them a lot because they're cool and they're basically free to use... but whenever I beat a boss using spirit ashes it feels like cheating! There's no honor in whacking a boss in the rear end while it attacks a spectral punching bag.

the obvious solution is "just don't use spirit ashes," but the game constantly dumps new ones on me that I want to test out!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Graviija posted:

God drat. I love this game, but it is big. Probably too big for my personal taste

I actually agree with this and think the biggest issue is Limgrave. Limgrave is basically an enormous starting / tutorial zone... ideally, a tutorial zone should introduce you to all of the basically gameplay and world stuff as quickly as possible and then set you free. Breath of the Wild's "Great Plateau" was actually just about the perfect size: big enough to allow you to wander around and explore freely, but small enough to force you into the wider world within a few hours (and at that point, truly every corner of the map is immediately available to you)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

Never noticed it before so I presume that's new? NPCs now have markers showing them all over the map. Finger Reader Crones, Knight Bernahl, Merchant Kalé, Patches... That's pretty handy.

ahhh gently caress i'm going to have to clean up our map so much... I've been putting 4 markers on each of the NPC locations so I could find them easily, lol

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Republicans posted:

I think they only scream at a certain time of day, implying they resurrect and die on a daily basis.

As far as I can tell they only scream at night. Never seen one scream in the daytime!

we can probably intuit some lore reason for this, but from a game dev standpoint they probably just wanted to have some spooky things that happen during nighttime at the start of the game

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

Honestly the ai in the game is completely hosed in general and is part of the reason the input reading complaint is so prevalent this time. Like in this webm the issue is not really the fireball on estus press, the issue is why the gently caress are these things so drat passive when you're not actually inputting anything. So many enemies just devolve into this bizarre behaviour when they're waiting for you to do literally anything solely to punish you for trying.

Well to be fair, this is actually kinda realistic behavior. Meaning, this is basically exactly what I do when I fight any boss, or fight phantoms, or play a fighting game: wait for a specific action and then rush in to punish.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Me, waiting patiently and then punishing bosses when they perform a punishable action: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me, being attacked by a boss who waited patiently for me to perform a punishable action: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Beat the game for the first time and was surprised that you didn't need to get all of the great runes in order to fix the Elden Ring. I thought literally the one and only direct goal you're given is: kill the big bosses, get their runes, assemble them into the Ring; kind of like the Triforce pieces in a Zelda game. So, what the hell are the great runes anyway and do they actually "matter?"...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Mirello posted:

I died against him like 15 times, then summoned a +1 mimic and defeated him without breaking a sweat.

I agree with this part, the summonable ashes trivialize a lot of otherwise tough boss battles; every time I'd get impatient and use spirit ashes on a boss, I'd regret it shortly afterwards. I think the game would be overall improved if spirit ashes were weakened and some bosses did like 1/3 less damage to compensate

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

imho the problem with the endgame is just that your goal becomes too unclear. i wouldn't mind suffering through the haligtree, dying to crows outside Mogh's castle, suffering through farum azula, etc, if I knew that there was some reason for what I was doing. But by that point in the game I'd already burned the erdtree and had lost track of how many major bosses remained. You end up so disconnected from your primary objective that those areas feel more like dlc than late-game content.

Honestly I think this would be a 100/100 game if the names of the great rune holders were listed on the map screen, alongside the regions where they were found. So, for example, Radahan's name would be listed next to Caelid; and when you finally find and kill him, his name gets crossed off. That way, when you're slogging through late-game areas like the Haligtree, you're at least aware of some goal you're working towards ("ah, the map says a great rune should be here somewhere"), rather than "just clearing out the dungeon"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everything else you listed is optional content you don’t have to do if you don’t want

yeah but how would you even know that without wikis? gideon's early dialogue at the roundtable hold makes it seem like you need all of the great runes to fix the elden ring — his big list of great rune people is the closest thing the game has to a primary quest log. i kept powering through the optional areas because i assumed showing up at the tree without getting the great runes first would lock me into a bad ending

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

the games are perceived as cringe because of the "cake is a lie" memes, but portal and portal 2 both had fantastic endings. in fact, valve used to generally whip rear end at endings... The G-man dialogues that end half-life and half-life 2 leave a lot to the imagination in a good way, still the coolest poo poo ever

i don't think elden ring's ending was bad, but it felt a bit small. the scope of the world is the game's biggest draw, and the game ends with a shot of your character sitting in a chair. it would have felt a bit more cohesive even if they just had a series of big panoramic vistas displayed as the credits rolled - the way mario games will show you all of the worlds over the closing credits

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 11, 2022

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I actually like the DS1 "good" / "dark lord" ending. The cinematic itself is lackluster, but the journey to the cinematic makes it really interesting imho.

Almost everyone is expected to get the basic ending the first time, and that ending simply sucks - you catch on fire, the end. It's not until later playthroughs that you discover Kaathe, and then Kaathe explains the lore in surprising detail, and you basically learn why the main ending sucks. So, when you finally get the "dark lord" ending, you have the double storytelling whammy of seeing a new ending cinematic, plus the joy of reaching the end while actually understanding what the other ending means and why you'd want to avoid it

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 11, 2022

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I got the dark lord ending on my first blind playthrough without ever meeting kaathe or knowing he existed lol

Oooh poo poo, you know, I totally forgot that all you need to do to trigger the dark lord ending is walk away, lol. For some reason I thought you also needed to interact with kaathr first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Phenotype posted:

That's gotta be a troll, isn't it? There's absolute fucktons of different enemies in Elden Ring, right?

yeah, ER has an incomprehensibly huge enemy list. even if you took out every "normal" enemy and only left bosses, elden ring would have more enemies than the vast majority of games