Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Dunno about automatic per-application control but just use Logitech's Onboard Memory Manager and ditch background software for your pointing device entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Ok I need a sanity check on on this because holy poo poo is it just me or does Windows 11 sometimes hang briefly doing the most basic things? Opening the Start menu and starting to type is a common one. Another is if I'm opening a program, just about any heavy duty-ish one, the disk usage will spike to 100% and the (therefore?) the rest of the system will become much less responsive. I have a 12700KF, NVME SSD and a 3080, how is any of this excusable?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So it's not normal for disk usage to spike to nearly max when loading something from it to RAM (such as is the case when opening an app)?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

A program is data on a disk, you have to read data from disk to run a program. Even a "small" program by install size may scan through a bunch of data on the drive when it runs (for example, an image viewer might scan pictures to make thumbnails).

OTOH many programs load so fast that the disk activity graph isn't high-res enough to see the spike. Also, Windows caches HD data in memory. So if you quit your web browser and then open it again, you'll see near-zero disk activity. The whole thing is still in the RAM, it barely needs to glance at the drive. Windows has some very smart caching systems that try to keep the most-used stuff cached for fast response.

The rest of the system slowing to a crawl is not normal, and could be indicative of hardware problems, with the drive or elsewhere. Or it could be an OS problem -- there are things like search indexing and defender that can eat lots of disk time. But making the call that it is a dying drive based on nothing more that "100% drive use" is bogus.

(For one thing, with a SSD a slow partial death is pretty unlikely in the first place. They tend to die all at once. You can have poo poo that trashes performance, like bad firmware, but that's usually correctable.)

So as an actual test of the drive, I'd:
1. get CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark to look at your drive. The first will tell you drive health, and you can use the second to look at speed and see if it's unusually slow for your expected NVMe drive.
2. Try copying some large media files -- a 1+GB video if you have one, or a bunch of mp3s, whatever. Do they copy quickly, is system performance affected while that's happening?
3. Check event viewer, particularly if 2 has bad results.

Separately from all that, always have backups.

Looks okay to me? Maybe I'm just overreacting. https://imgur.com/IIPeGLl

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

Without knowing what model of NVMe drive you have I can say if that's full performance, but that's pretty normal for a cheap or mid-range PCIe3 drive (or one that's a few generations old). Unlikely that anything is seriously wrong with it anyways.

It's a Team Group MP33 M.2 1TB. Seems about right from what I can see online?

I guess I just don't understand how people's SSD can't be working hard when launching an app. Isn't that the main bottleneck most of the time? For example, launching Discord I typically get a moment of 100% disk usage as it loads.

e: also tried your copying files test, seems to be in order. maxes out the drive but I was able to lauch Edge etc. in the meantime. and it completed in around 5-10 seconds?

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 2, 2022

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

RGB improves performance, duh.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I haven't either. Couple days ago it said it was available to download and install and then it failed to even download. I think they are delaying the rollout until they can iron out some kinks, from what I hear. People have been having some issues with stuttering on the desktop and reduced performance while gaming.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

barnold posted:

the new task manager freaks me out a little

Why? It can't collapse real small anymore which is annoying. Otherwise seems more or less like just a tidied up version of the old one.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

redeyes posted:

Ill be happy when user interfaces go back to textual lables. Icons suck.

Eh, the icons are fine and you can figure out what they mean the 2nd time you open the program. Much less cluttered visually. And the startup icon is a gauge, kind of like a throttle, as it's the computer coming "up to speed" and getting ready to perform. The first listing on that page is even the last BIOS time. Makes good sense to me.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Goddamn not having the ability to just drag and drop explorer tabs to an existing window or drag tabs out to make their own window is a bizarre limitation, how could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff.

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Windows 11: How could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff

For real, what the gently caress is going on over there at MS? They need a more forward-facing community member or something that is able to convince the everyman that they have their poo poo together behind the scenes (even if they don't) because from where I'm standing they are just flailing about. I guess extreme market domination will do that to ya.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

redeyes posted:

LatencyMon. It was triggering on either the Kernel itself or the Nvidia drivers.. which are okay in Windows 10. The spikes were so bad the system would glitch and cursor would jutter. It was after 22H2 for sure that I noticed it.

Can the free edition measure DPC stuffs?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

codo27 posted:

First rule, always clean install Windows using media creation tool

Rule #2, assuming you followed rule #1, you dont need to do anything further to furnish your new install besides install the programs you use. You dont need any supplementary antivirus, tune up, de-bloat, optimizer, registry cleaner etc, its all horse poo poo. Just put ublock origin on your browser, unless there's a newer, better alternative I'm unaware of.

You can even skip the adblocker tbh. Modern ads on modern sites (the kind you would want to visit anyway) are not that obtrusive.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

But will it ruin the aesthetic ??

Why don't users ever think about the drat a e s t h e t i c ?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

biznatchio posted:

Yes. I don't see random crashing and programs closing in traditional Win32 apps on Windows 11; and I don't run a lot of 'modern' stuff outside of what ships with the OS so I don't run any of it enough to see if it also has crashing problems -- but Notepad crashing is a headache I simply can't excuse. I've used Windows for 30 years and never had Notepad crash before Windows 11 outside of, say, trying to open enormous files with it.

And yeah, as mentioned, it doesn't even have the decency to tell you that it just crashed and lost your data; the window just disappears and a new, empty Notepad opens a moment later.

If I wasn't on an Alder Lake CPU, I wouldn't be using this pile of garbage OS.

Are you on 22H2? Have you tried a clean install from an installation media (like a USB flash drive)? I just did this after having some stability problems and it seems to have cleared things up. Clean install with total drive reformat -> install LAN/Chipset/Audio drivers -> windows update is my panacea.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Slow down there cowboy, you think they thought out a new feature to it's logical conclusion? Welcome to hell bucko

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Windows 11 is stable and pretty but the worst part is and will forever be all the weird legacy stuff Microsoft seems to not have the balls/care to ditch. Some settings are still laid across various types of control panels dating back to like I dunno Win 7 days? If you are going to release a new major OS version, make it a new major OS version, users be damned. That said in the grand scheme of things this is a minor complaint and the OS is good when it is working properly (tip: clean installs are King).

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Honestly Win 11 has been incredibly responsive for me ever since I did a clean reinstall (which solved my occasional blue screen problems too) and went through the trouble of updating all the important drivers (chipset, GPU, BIOS, etc). I suspect that how modern drivers function is more flexible and modular than ever but also (therefore) more fragile. You should do yourself all the favors you can and let the latest low-level bug fixes and performance improvements make their way onto your machine.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

cubicle gangster posted:

Maybe you've all done this already, but why on earth did they change the right click menu?

The only things I ever right clicked for was copy, paste, rename, delete, and 7-zip related functions. And now I cant do any of that without clicking on a second menu. Who greenlit this 'feature'?

You can do copy paste rename etc., they are the icons at the top. It's cleaner in theory and I like the direction, but like most new things in Windows, it's half-baked and awkwardly bolted onto the old.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

redeyes posted:

We are approaching an age of not knowing wtf content comes from or if its real. This is not going to go well.

Oh so you mean the internet, anyways?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Zotix posted:

Is the Win 11 search just straight dog sh*t for anyone else? I hit the windows key to search and it'll pause for 2-3 seconds. It's like it's trying to search the internet before even populating local results first. This is originally on a machine with a 3900x processor, and now on a machine with a 5800x3d processor. I tried disabling Win 11 internet search results, which worked until the computer rebooted.

It used to be this bad I wanna say, but it has gotten much better. Some questions: are you on the 22H2 build of Win 11? Are you fully updated via Windows update? Do you have all essential drivers up to date (chipset, GPU, audio, etc.) for your particular motherboard? What is your idle CPU usage in Windows, is it high? How about RAM?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

They really couldn't make freshly unzipped files open in a new Explorer tab, could they?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Mad Wack posted:

hi i just upgraded to w11 - is there some way to make the overall GUI "faster"? i tried turning off animations in accessability but it still feels like there's a 1 second or longer pause between clicks on anything in the GUI versus W10, i have a beastly gamer rig and the OS is on an NVME drive

Did you do an in-place OS upgrade? Try a clean install, I've generally had better success with it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

We live in the AI era now, asking a computer to voluntarily kill itself is like, not cool, man.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Is a grouped taskbar really... that bad? For quick switching between a couple of windows, alt+tab and the like are preferred. If you can, tile windows you work with simultaneously so they show all at once. And otherwise having stuff grouped is more organized and less cluttered. I feel like people don't give grouped a serious chance.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

wa27 posted:

Since Windows has forced me to use grouped since I upgraded to 11 six months ago, I still find myself hating it. Clicking twice to switch apps is annoying. It's nice that Windows now has tabbed explorer, so that one doesn't get grouped. Same with Notepad and command prompt. But other apps, such as Adobe Reader, use a single tabbed window but STILL do the grouped thing in the taskbar.

I've started alt+tabbing more frequently since most of the annoyance is when switching back and forth between two programs.

Why are you clicking twice? Just hover the group and all the windows within appear with previews.

Not picking on you or anyone in particular, but it bothers me when people won't even give new UI paradigms the light of day to see how they work out in practice. That's how we get stale systems and stay stuck in the past, leaving some great ideas on the table. I'm not saying that what is new is always better, but often there are redeeming qualities beyond what we are comfortable with.

Part of it is MS's fault, they won't or can't grow the balls to convert all the legacy poo poo scattered throughout the OS and create a truly comprehensive experience. So instead the actually good work of some of their UX engineers gets lost among the rightful jeering at the studio at large.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

BrainDance posted:

Sorta tongue in cheek, this is why kids don't know how to really do anything with computers anymore.

I got a class of seniors this year, they don't understand anything about their computers and can barely accomplish saving a word document. I have had to deal with "lost" papers before that were just saved to the wrong folder and they didn't really know what folders were, or how to search for files, or how to do anything. This has been a common trend with students that's been getting worse each year. I genuinely believe it's because computers have become so simplified, hiding so much from the user, that no one ever really has to learn how things work to use them for basic things. Things like obscuring drive letters or hiding advanced options to do risky things contributes to this ipadification of computers.

I broke the poo poo out of computers back in the 90s. Constantly. And that's how I learned, you just kinda had to.

This is rant, I am not actually saying it's better for computers to just expose everything to your grandma so one wrong click and she needs to reformat. But, also I think it is a real problem.

Sorry but this take just isn't it. Accessibility is way more important than any kind of transparency. If computers are "breaking" (ie not being as useful as they could be for a user because of legacy design choices or otherwise) then that's a system design problem, not a tardi user problem.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

BrainDance posted:

Yes I am not literally saying it is better for computers to break, you are right that computers overall, should not break. I feel like this is one of those SA situations where you're going out of your way to misread someone.

I wasn't saying anything about accessibility or that we should all go back to Windows 9x because it crashes more, but that with computers getting more reliable and user friendly, with less control for the user, an unintended side effect is it has contributed to people learning less just from normal computer use.

Should computers break? No. Does it help with accessibility? Probably. But that's not related at all to what I was talking about.

Though if you look at the recent history of Windows I don't think many of the changes were motivated by or contribute to accessibility all that much.

You said that it's a problem that modern users who didn't have to deal with concepts like file systems get easily lost in the sauce and can lose a saved file, etc. I suppose I read-in too much of a finger-pointing at these users but in the context of you talking about how us young Millenials who grew up with these primitive computing concepts fully exposed to us have no issues, I think that's a reasonable message to take home.

Either way, it's the "sauce" that is indeed the real problem. The tech world is by far the most frustrating place to see stagnation and design rot because it is also the most cutting edge place where these things can and should be reviewed and iterated upon and improved. Staggered QWERTY keyboard layouts are based in preventing mechanical failures which are long gone. C drive is not A or B because those were reserved for floppy disks. All I'm saying is that the modern user deserves nothing but sympathy for not being grandfathered into all the random extremely outdated design choices we cling on to. Thank god for iPhones.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It looks like Microsoft got enough pushback on removing the options in File Explorer that they are going to roll those changes back:

https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/windows-11-change-proves-so-unpopular-that-microsoft-reverses-course

This is why Windows will never drop all the legacy bloat. Sad

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

And never underestimate the power of a clean install!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

School of How posted:

I am a long time Linux user that recently switched to Windows 11.Back when I was using Linux, I would just walk away from my computer, and after 5 minutes, the screen would turn off, and then after 15 minutes the entire computer would go to sleep. Then, when I want to use my computer again, I can just come back to it, wiggle the mouse, then my desktop would come back. I want Windows 11 to work the same way, but it just won't do it. I go to the settings and have the screen saver set to 5 minutes, and also in th4e power settings I have it set to turn off the monitor after 5 minutes and sleep after 15. Yet, when I walk away from my computer, I come back 15 minutes later or 20 minutes later and the screen is still on. Sometimes it does turn off, but most of the time it just doesn't. Also, sometimes when it goes into sleep, it will just randomly wake up after limke sa few hours for seemingly no reason. Is this a known issue with Windows 11, and is there some way I can just have it work the way it's supposed to?

Check if Task Scheduler has any third party apps which are waking the PC to run something.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Not trying to rustle any jimmies here but aren't most G2A keys of equal "dodginess" to our SA store ones basically? I'm mostly just salty that I spent like $130 CAD for a key through retail but also how is such arbitrage possible it is madness.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yes it is. I'm moving into the Preview Release build Preview Release Channel (gently caress me, Microsoft), to get 23H2.

What feature(s) are you so impatient for? As exciting as new AI tools and stuff can be I'm holding my breath more for house cleaning, unification, and de-bloating efforts more than anything. I think it was announced that Edge will be losing Math Solver and other bloat.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I've seen it reported that the alt+tab CoPilot thing only appears if CoPilot was already open anyways. I'll save my outrage for if/when it releases.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah this is me as well, I've just accepted that apparently I have a secret magic Windows key that unlocks the working version or something, or that SA is somehow connected to multiple mandela effect worlds or something. Like, I believe people when they say it's terrible, it's just baffling because it basically almost always works for me. Win11 introduced some hitching, but not enough to be a real issue, and my work laptop doesn't have anything aftermarket.

I'm the same way. I think some people just have a very very short fuse for this kind of thing, especially when it occurs do to an update or upgrade of OS that they were reluctant for in the first place. It seems like if it were up to most people in this thread we would still have Windows Vista/7 era or earlier Start menu. I like to think that there are growing pains and that we eventually will have something to show all the experimenting Microsoft has been doing, but I admit they are often doing themselves no favors with some baffling UI decisions and inconsistencies.

I am however a more or less a known outlier as a tech-y person who supports the "dumbing down" of many aspects of every day computing. I think accessibility is a most noble goal.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

redeyes posted:

Load Everything search from Voidtools.

The search utility built into PowerToys is also supposed to be quite good and is official.

Personally, I hardly use the search and when I do, it finds the thing I'm looking for before I even notice the web results. :shrug:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

ziasquinn posted:

what's the best system debloater

Probably none of them. The risk to needlessly damage or hobble your system is larger than any kind of modicum of performance you will eek out. Just hide or uninstall prominent stuff which you don't use (the list should be pretty short) and don't worry about the rest.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

codo27 posted:

You know, we complained so much about losing the ability to not have taskbar icons group, and now that its back, I had forgotten all about it until it just popped into my head. It looks unnatural now.

Yeah, I tried it out for a few moments and promptly went back. But I was never that bothered with grouped icons in the first place, just neater for me.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Eletriarnation posted:

I would have preferred if they left things alone for the most part, but the incompleteness and inconsistency is what frustrates me most.

Yeah, if they actually stuck to their guns and went all the way with a UI or paradigm change, legacy be damned, at least I could respect them. The hodgepodge is worse. I might be a minority or silent majority here though in that I actually like a lot of the changes (or at least the inferred spirit of the changes) they have tried recently.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Reoxygenation posted:

I don't know why I asked because deep down I knew it was about capitalism once again,

You are a true scholar and a gentleman

It's not that complicated, they are trying to maximize profit. Just like how when you are looking for a job, you seek the highest salary. Or when you are shopping for a good, you seek the best bang for buck.

Posting "aha! I should've known, it's that darn capitalism" regarding the decisions of a company making the same kind of self-interested decisions you regularly make under the freedom of capitalism is the cringiest poo poo ever

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Reoxygenation posted:

I don't think it's that deep and it does make sense but sure ok I guess sorry for poking fun at myself I will do better next post

Ok well sorry I didn't mean to dispose of you in particular, I just see this kind of iamverysmart style capitalism bashing all over the forums in earnest and it's so incredibly tiring. Guess I missed some obvious irony