Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Digital Foundry video about it seems to provide a good overview based on what little is known.

https://youtu.be/h8p_myiqGP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

noob question, will you be able to install Win11 on this thing?

Yeah, it's just a PC with the steam OS loaded by default. May not be ideal for use with windows but it should work fine and that's part of the pitch.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had installed the itch.io Linux version on the desktop and was fooling around with downloading Linux versions of games but honestly it was a pain to always be in desktop mode, and also lots of games were windows only which the client doesn’t let you install directly.

So - I followed a Reddit guide and installed the itch.io windows app instead. Now it just launches from the deck mode and the games themselves (windows versions) install and launch from there. Everything just works, in a way that is honestly unreasonable to expect.

So if you have lots of itch bundles and want an easy way to play those games on the deck without having to manually download and install them… https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/vwili3/better_way_to_itchio_on_steam_deck/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

i just download the windows versions of itch games and add them to steam so that they can have their own controller layout settings. you just have to make sure to select a proton version so steamOS understands it's not native

https://randombundlegame.com/

I do this to, I just find it makes the install process significantly easier.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have both the 64 and the 512. I need to RMA the 64 because of the left touchpad haptics not working.

It was an extra couple hundred Canadian, but if you can afford it I think the 512 is just nicer. I tossed a 512gb sd card in there and am intending to never worry about storage space.

Technically the 64 was for my son and the 512 for me, but it does account swapping really well so we’ll just share the 512 and my brother is taking the 64.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played a bunch of multiversus with my kid yesterday, him on his desktop and me on the deck. Surprisingly good experience. It hitched at one point and I basically had to quit out, but otherwise it was a fun free smash clone that does pretty well online. Works great on the deck.

Other than that Ive mostly been playing 2d indie stuff. This is the perfect Stardew Valley machine.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They’re releasing wrath for consoles so the controls will get updated then.

e: Sept 29 release date

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been playing a lot of Dragon’s Dogma lately and the game just works perfectly, and is perfectly suited to this kind of playing. The deck rules.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m playing Troubleshooter Abandoned Children and while it’s unsupported and a bit wonky in terms of controls, it works pretty well a long as you add mouse to one of the trackpads as a backup option.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

$21270 for my almost 17y old account lol

Not that I'd ever sell it but lol
The number for mine is too high, and I can’t imagine anyone paying close to what it says. Even 10% is a lot.

Anyway it did make me curious to see what my first purchases were on steam, after the big humble indie bundle that got me to sign up for an account. Deus Ex collection and Terraria. Good taste past me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Shadow of War in the Humble Bundle that’s up, and mannnnnn this is just perfect for turning off my brain and doing some mindless button mashing while in bed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

I finally got Midnight Suns working without crashes on the Deck and it's basically a perfect game for it. Wish they'd hurry up with an official patch though

The deciding factor seems to have been Cryobyte33's memory management scripts.

Please tell me what you did.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The steam deck retroactively justifies my 3000+ steam library and I’m actually finishing games these days, including some classic console games I’ve never played.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How do people deal with multi disk games with the steam rom manager? Just delete the extra disks or?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t get what’s wrong with midnight suns, but I tried it again yesterday hoping the fact it had been patched and now is verified would solve all my issues… and it hard crashed the deck when it hit a cutscene. I really liked what I played of this game, but if I can’t play it on the steam deck, I’m just not going to play it.

Only steam game to have done that so far.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JackDarko posted:

Are you interested in trying some things to get it to work? With the help of a goon, I’m able to play the game with no crashes.

Yep, I’ve enjoyed what I’ve managed to get working, and would be happy to take advice to help prevent future crashes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Demon souls plays pretty good but has weird audio hitching. I decided to stop at the PS2.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

No problem! Even on PC AC4 and For Answer (and onward) run badly and crash often. They're very finicky to emulate.

That's a bummer to hear though - I got an item randomzier working for it and was going to move it over lol

Everything I read was that it’s kind of random. If I were you I’d at least try it. With this kind of issue it may not even bother you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SavageMessiah posted:

Hello goons, I would like to report that Best Puzzle Game Series Ever DROD works quite nicely on deck after some fiddling with controls. I made the right trackpad into a 8 direction numpad thingy.

What’s your control scheme? I tried but just couldn’t handle the diagonals with the setups I tried.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SavageMessiah posted:

For those interested I just shared my DROD control scheme as "DROD for goons". It's just under Gunthro right now, probably won't be playing 2nd sky anytime soon.

Thanks! Will try it out when I get home

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got recs for good podcast/audiobook games? Games still enjoyable without needing sound or heavy reading essentially

Siralim Ultimate

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve got a huge hairline crack running across the screen bottom up right in the middle. I’ve never dropped it or scratched it, but something must have happened, maybe the kids or wife moving it.

The one saving grace is that when you look at the screen straight on you can’t see the crack, only when you’re looking at an angle. So I can put off installing a new screen for a while… though I’m still ordering the kit from ifixit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are the recommended decky plugins. About to start installing that. Any must haves?

How long to beat has helped me beat a bunch more smaller games this year. It’s the only must have for me I think.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

If I put the system to sleep with a game running, does playtime still accrue?

I’m my experience it does but then corrects itself.
But sometimes if the game itself tracks playtime sleep will mess up playtime. So it’ll be right in steam but wrong in game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ll buy the LE if it’s available. Otherwise I’ll wait.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sitting in my cart but the purchase says something went wrong. Ah well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, as the shipping stage at least. It still doesn’t work but

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Crow posted:

lmao just told me LE is out of stock loving horse poo poo valve.

Same. Ah well, I tried. Will probably wait until after holidays just on the off chance they do a sale on the Oled models

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

I don’t have screen issues on my basic OLED but my A (jump) button is starting to stick while playing emulators.

I’m hoping it’ll just kinda loosen up as it breaks in more.

My LE B button is sticking but I feel like it may work itself out so I’m gonna use it for a month or so and then decide if it’s worth an RMA. My wife kept my original steam deck anyway so it’s not like I’d go without one by RMAing it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
80% of my playtime was on steam deck.

Not entirely true for games playing because I also played a bunch of Gamepass (lies of P) and ps3 emulation (Demon Souls) but representative of how I game these days for sure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve ordered three to Canada and there was nothing to deal with. They just show up. It’s great.

I also have GeForce Now set up, and did it without a plugged in keyboard. The steam keyboard is fine. You’ll want to go into desktop mode to make it easier to set to though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blorknorg posted:

Excellent, thank you for the information. Did you try the 90 fps mode or just stuck with the 60, I'd mostly just be doing it out of curiosity so I could see if there really was some difference I'm going to notice with 90-120 fps or if my crappy eyes and brain are too far gone at this point to really appreciate it.

I don’t really notice the difference as long as the FPS is consistent. I would run a lot of games at 40hz before, on the OLED I run them at 45 fps / 90hz instead.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vic posted:

I didn't bother with Decky because the idea of futzing with plugins every system update is not worth the features.

It’s very annoying but man I appreciate having HLTB stats on every game. The gold / platinum etc compatibility banners are good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best thing about a steam deck is going "man this control is annoying, who the gently caress uses this button for that?" and then hitting the steam menu and fixing that poo poo to your liking.

Yeah I was reading a review that was complaining about stick clicks for running and no ability to rebind. Not a problem with the deck!