Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Has anyone any experience with Pathologic 2 on this thing?

I don’t own a gaming PC anymore and it’s a Deck Verified game, but it was always a game I struggled to get running particularly smoothly on my PC. Curious if anyone has played it on the Deck and can comment on performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Welp, I’m going in. Just placed an order for the 64GB model.

Just going to order a Micro SD card ahead of its arrival and bang that in there. Adding an SSD doesn’t look too taxing either but that’s an element of luxury that I think can wait.

I’m very excited. The store page is currently saying 2-4 weeks which is going to be an agonising wait. No idea how you folks who waited months coped.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Slimy Hog posted:

FWIW I ordered mine on Thursday and it shipped early this morning with a scheduled delivery date of Monday.

Oh wow, fingers crossed then. Was the store page giving the same 2-4 week window when you ordered as well?

I imagine the news that they’re up to date with shipping has brought in an extra flood of people like me who have either been waiting for this moment, or have just ordered on a whim, so I guess it’s possible their shipping pipeline could get clogged back up again pretty quickly. I am OK with waiting if it comes down to it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Escobarbarian posted:

My unit shipped!!! And the UK bit isn’t being handled by Evri!!!! Excellent!!!!!

When did you place an order?

I ordered on Saturday. The order page had been bumped back to 2-4 weeks when I placed my order, but Steam is telling me both my Deck and Dock are at the “Packaged Items” stage, which sounds positive, right?

Mixed feelings on Evri. Normally want to stay clear but they’ve just built an absolutely humongous centre about 5 minutes up the road from my house. Surely that’s too close for them to screw anything up.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ordered Saturday and mine has been “stuck” at “Packaged Items” since then.

Should I be expecting movement soon? Appreciate I’m being massively impatient, especially since people have waited literally months previously.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

njsykora posted:

There are usually 2 shipment collection days a week. So if your stuff was packaged on Saturday it’s waiting for a pickup which is probably going to be today.

Oh wow, excellent, thanks for that. Fingers crossed then! This is the most hype I've been for a videogame thing for some time.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel kinda bad that I bought Splatoon 3, loved it for about a month and then my Steam deck showed up and I've barely touched my Switch.

Don't have my Deck yet but this is sort of me already.

Been on a massive gaming lull this year - an 8 month old baby probably explains that - and the Switch pulled me back in to games in a big way recently. The Switch use case is what prompted me to order a Deck, only now I've now not touched my Switch again since I placed my order. Gaming is just on hold for me now until the Deck arrives.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Konami’s refusal to do anything with MGS is just one of those baffling business things that doesn’t make a lick of sense.

I think those ports would clean up if dumped on Steam. I know pachinko is their jam now but surely the cost/effort/reward ratio is just leaving HEAPS of money on the table.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I ordered the official dock on Steam three days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Are they not shipping for a while?

I ordered my Deck on Saturday and my Dock on Monday. Both moved to "Packaged Items" status pretty quickly but neither have been shipped yet.

EDIT: Deck now shipped, Dock still waiting.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 13, 2022

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

My Deck shipping seems to be stuck at “on its way to the final parcel centre”, and the last updates seem to have it still in the Netherlands. Did anyone else have this for several days before delivery to the UK? Detailed tracking isn’t showing me an updates since October 14th, although I guess it has been the weekend since then (not sure how much difference that makes in the world of international shipping).

veni veni veni posted:

Has anyone sold their PC to just play on Deck? I honestly haven't used my gaming laptop once singe I got it, but...I dunno just not having the more powerful hardware there if I want it, keeps giving me pause on selling it. And if I want to play gamepass games it's much preferable to do it there, but I really just use gamepass on Xbox 95% of the time.

How often do you play big multiplayer or AAA releases? If it’s likely there’s going to be big AAA releases down the line that you’d just rather have the full fat, locked 60fps experience with - then it makes sense to keep your PC around I guess?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Heran Bago posted:

The Deck has changed up how I go about playing video games. My partner and I used to vigilant about what the other was into watching or playing so as to share the rig / tv. We never argued over it or anything, but there's less game to be had when it's always behind booting up the thing and fills up the room.

Unless it's particularly bombastic I'm happy to play my thing handheld on the couch and half- pay attention to some series or movie I wouldn't normally go for. More movies for them, more games for me. More movies for me too. The thing has been surprisingly good for Us.

This is a role that the Switch kind of filled, and the Wii U before that. But the novelty is gone where it's still strong with the Deck, and the library gives it longer legs. I love the Splatoon games and still haven't picked up the new one.

This is exactly why I've bought the Deck too.

The Switch is probably my favourite console of all time just down to the form factor. Me and my wife both work full time and have 4 kids, and we definitely don't share the exact same taste in entertainment, so competing for already limited down time just sucks for the both of us. The flexibility of the Switch just removes so much of that sense of compromise.

Where the Deck probably has an advantage over the Switch for me is that I'm a first party kinda guy for Switch games, so my mileage with it depends on which Nintendo games I'm playing at that time. For long stretches of time this can be little or nothing. The Steam library is obviously a lot broader and is a persistent ecosystem I've been in for over a decade. Like you, I think that's going to give the concept even more relevance than the Switch already offers.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Got my Deck yesterday.

Really impressed, obviously. Spent most of my time just tinkering around with the settings etc and poking around the OS. Oh, and sniffing the vent.

Left 4 Dead 2 was my first gaming experience with this thing. Really impressive to be playing a game like Left 4 Dead 2 on a handheld device. I know the Deck can handle much more modern games just fine, but it was just really cool to see a game like that run and play so well.

A lot of the current Steam Deck discourse is going my head a bit at the moment, as I'm focused on just getting used to the device. I don't even know how to access a desktop state yet. But I just know I'm going to love it even if I exclusively use it "out of the box" just to play Deck Verified games. The first impressions here are as impressive as any new game system I've bought for years.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Commander Keene posted:

Hold down the power button while the Deck's on to bring up a menu, one of the options will be "switch to desktop mode".

njsykora posted:

You can also just select the power option in the Steam button menu and it’ll bring up the same menu. I only just found the wallpaper plug-in menu in the Plasma desktop settings and there’s a bunch of generated desktop animations you can get which is cool.

Super, thank you both. Something else that's really handy to know.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Kin posted:

The main thing you want to do is to get your head to psychologically consider the device in the right way.

What I mean is that given the awesomeness of the hardware, you'll be mistakenly lured into thinking it acts like a handheld console.

It is not.

You're basically holding a handheld PC. This means all the tropes and experiences of PC gaming are here on this too.

Once you get that motion into your head, then I swear everything starts clicking into place, from not being mad if the odd game doesn't work without some graphics tweaks, to installing different applications in desktop mode or connection different peripherals to it via Bluetooth, etc.

Yeah I get you.

Following the advice received earlier, I’ve just been exploring desktop mode for the first time and it was a genuine mind blowing experience. It really dawned on me that holy poo poo.. this really is a PC experience if you want it to be.

The vast majority of my time with this device is going to be in the “Plug and Play” deck verified walled garden. But knowing the option is there - near seamlessly - to take it into a traditional PC space is amazing. I already own the dock and I’m now thinking of picking up a monitor and M&KB to create a little dedicated docking station somewhere in the house.

The flexibility and execution of this device is astonishing to me.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Kin posted:

I'm not sure why you feel the need to keep white knighting the "consoleification" of the Deck just because it can play some "verified" games out of the box.

Folk dropping £300+ on this should have their expectations correctly set that it's a mini PC and if they want to play their Steam library on their Steam device, they'll need to think of it as one and not expect all of their games to work as they would do with an actual console.

It's a phenomenal device but all you're doing is misleading people and it's a silly hill to die on.

Agree.

I think it's fine to describe the "Deck Verified Garden" as a console-like experience for the most part, if that's where you want to plonk your deck chair. But ultimately unless you can guarantee that nobody will ever need to tinker with a bunch of settings then I think expectations have to be set accordingly. Nobody can make that guarantee, nor should they try. It's not the point of this device.

But that's a positive. I bought my Deck mostly for the kind of games that do get Verified status and that's where I'll spend the vast majority of my time with this system, but I still think the fact it's a PC with much deeper layers under the surface is by far the coolest thing about it. I've spent about 5 minutes in desktop mode so far and did nothing of any worth while I was there, but it was still mindblowing to see and think about.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I have a probably super dumb question regarding opening up the Deck and putting in a new SSD.

With the 64GB version, you don't replace the existing drive, right? There's just a spare slot in the device for an NVMe drive (like the 256 and 512 versions of the Deck), so you can in theory go with a 64GB + 512GB SSD + 512GB MicroSD configuration?

Assuming that's right, is there anything to do on the system itself in terms of re-installing anything to the newly installed NVMe once you've sealed the Deck back up? I assume Steam OS will stay where it is on the default 64GB storage, and the system will just recognise that there's now 512GB of SSD space available?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ah - I've either had duff advice or got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

Thanks goons.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Am I likely to break anything by messing around with the Thermal Power Limit?

Playing Bad North at the minute which obviously isn’t the most demanding thing in the world. Noticed the fan was going mad and the performance settings were set to the default 15 watts. Dropped it down to 5 watts and the fans have settled down, with no noticeable performance dip.

For more powerful games, am I best leaving it at 15? I know some games on Proton DB will indicate these things but not all do.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ok so Doom 2016 is one of my GOAT’s anyway, and in particular I do have a thing for the Switch version..

But.. Doom on Deck? Someone wipe my brow. Holy poo poo. This might be the most impressed I’ve been by a videogame thing in years. It looks and runs stunning, and while I still consider that Switch version to be a miracle port for what it is, there’s no comparison here. This is mind blowing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

PageMaster posted:

Edit: just realized GOW Ragnarok isn't coming out on steam in November; that's a bummer since that's one of the main reasons I bought the deck.

Yeah I keep having to remind myself of this, too. At the moment I think we're still lacking any sort of established rhyme or reason to what they bring to PC or when, but give it 18-24 months I can definitely see a Ragnarok release on Steam. I imagine the pipeline will only get smoother (and probably quicker) from here, even if we never get to day-and-date releases with PS5.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think specifically tailored and optimised settings for Deck probably aren't that realistic to expect in the majority of cases, but I think the Deck will continue to benefit from the wider industry need to keep supporting more modest hardware.

A percentage of PS5, Series X and 4090 users are always going to keep screaming about the need to keep forcing graphics forward, but I'm not sure that end of the market is actually much more relevant (or profitable) for the industry than targeting the small amount of Deck users is. Inevitably we're going to start seeing more Unreal Engine 5 games that maybe push beyond a decent level of performance on Deck (the current specs for the Silent Hill 2 remake look like an issue for the Deck, right?) but even then, isn't scalability back down in the other direction meant to be an important aspect of UE5?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was basically in your boat. Console/handheld gamer my whole life. I don’t think Steam Deck makes me qualified to say I’m a PC gamer, but it’s got me considering on investing in a gaming rig eventually.

I wouldn't worry about any elitism or whatever regarding what makes you "qualified" to be a PC gamer or not.

The thing is that you're on Steam, and really I think that's the pull. That's the ecosystem you're in now, and once you get used to Steam's feature set, relative openness, ease of use, and start building a library of games through crazy sales (including "exclusives" from across the different consoles), you'll really start to feel invested in the platform. Obviously the sheer range of things you can do with a PC beyond Steam is icing on an already pretty good cake, if you continue towards that route.

I'm slightly different in that I've had a Steam account for 12 years. Well, my current Steam account anyway - I am old enough to remember when it was just an annoying khaki green UI you installed as part of Half-Life 2. But I've phased in and out of PC gaming over the years, often in favour of consoles. The Steam Deck is really making me wonder if I'll ever buy a console again. "Steam on a handheld" is such a ludicrous, fantasy land idea, but they've absolutely crushed it, and even in this format Steam is just such a fantastic platform for games. I have been on one of those breaks from PC gaming for a while, but like you, the Deck is really pushing me towards wanting to build a full rig again and just dive back into PC gaming full throttle again.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FuriousGeorge posted:

What's the deal w/ Vampire Survivors anyway? I've put a few hours into it and so far it's just a twin stick shooter that replaces one stick w/ level ups and unlocks, and I usually get bored w/ a run and want to quit well before I actually get gonked. Does it Frog Fractions at some point? IDGI.

It's just compulsive. Very "one more run". Also it's possible to essentially become a God, melting literally thousands of enemies just by walking through them whilst spitting down fire and thunder, and you're constantly collecting things and watching numbers go up while that's happening.

Perfect Deck game, too. Runs great (and cool and quiet), easy pick up and play value and you can fit complete runs into short sessions.

I'm good with VS though. It's a one and done genre for me. A friend has gifted me that Soulstone one which I'll take a look at, but VS is simple and effective enough that I'm not angling for another one.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I got a 64GB and popped a 512GB MicroSD in there.

No regrets. My approach to installs is that I like to have a few of my GOAT's installed at all times, but I'm quite happy to stream the 2-3 other games I'm actively playing and just delete them afterwards (unless they're good enough to make it to the GOAT list). My needs are well catered for by the smallest capacity Deck + SD card.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

No I think people are just figuring out where they're comfortable taking a hit on specs to save money. Not everybody is going to want to crack open their Deck to start replacing parts but luckily the option is there for people who do.

The flexibility of the Deck is one of the best things about it.

That there isn't a bad Deck to buy is a plus. If I had more disposable income, I'd totally have just said gently caress it and gone for the 512GB version. It's just nice to not feel gimped by the cheaper version of a piece of hardware, or not to be permanently restricted by storage sizes at the point of sale.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Had a close call with my Deck yesterday. Ended up stuck in a blank screen state. The logo would display at boot but then.. nothing. Was like it for about 7 hours and no amount of re-starts, power downs or accessing the bios screen would sort it.

Decided to power it on but leave it in its "bricked" state, and it magically just sprung back to life.

Tense day. So relieved it's back.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Kin posted:

I've had that logo freeze thing too. Generally it happened after I transferred files across to it via anydesk, and then moved files from the internal storage to external.

It would then freeze on shutdown, and need a hard restart.

Then when it booted, the WiFi was disabled, but another restart after that would fix it.

I'm wondering if there's some funky stuff with the WiFi that can prevent it from booting up properly seeing as it always logs into your account as the first thing it does.

Yeah that could be it. The first thing it showed me was the Steam log in.

I was messing about with files as well. Was trying to mod Football Manager 2023 but that involved a lot of quick switching between SteamOS and Desktop Mode, transferring back and forth between the internal and SD storage, and being left for hours at a time downloading or transferring data - all things that I guess could stress the machine? FM23 is technically an unsupported game though and kept giving me save file errors anyway, so I've since just uninstalled it anyway and won't be bothering again.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maaaaan, the default controls/gyro settings for Doom 2016 are perfect.

So glad I got my SD card, so I can justify having a near 70gb game installed. As good as it is, I had played it before, so I didn't bother installing it again before now.

Rip and tear, friends.

Doom 2016 is an incredible game wherever you play it, but on Deck it’s.. :discourse:

I rolled straight from 2016 to Eternal, and unless I’m missing something, Eternal doesn’t have the gyro in by default. Felt pretty jarring.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

DACK FAYDEN posted:

but even Split/Second has a PC port on Steam so it sure was the first that came to mind

But unfortunately Blur doesn't.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

njsykora posted:

It does, and it runs perfectly on the deck. It is however delisted from Steam. Split/Second was the better game though, and Pure (basically SSX on quad bikes) was better than both of them.

Great, now I'm doubly annoyed that I COULD own Blur but don't.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cippalippus posted:

I usually get buyer's remorse after purchasing most of the stuff I buy, but I have to say that the steam deck is the single best (gaming related) purchase I've made in the last 25 years.

Tangentially, any reason to use a game store which isn't Steam is gone forever, as long as they will keep updating the deck and releasing new versions of it. I'm playing more on the deck than on my purpose-built high end gaming pc.

Very similar here. Trying not to be hyperbolic, but the Steam Deck is pretty much the culmination of everything I’ve been looking for from gaming hardware for years. I’ve pretty much taken a year off from gaming and actually thought I might be done for good, but the Deck has pulled me back in and I’m more excited for gaming right now than I have been for as long as I can remember. It just ticks so many boxes.

Like you, I’m also OK with effectively being “exclusive” to Steam now. Applying Steam’s feature set to a console-like OS/hardware environment just makes sense of everything they’ve been doing with their features. It’s a really robust experience. And it’s not like there’s a shortage of games on Steam. My desire to work around to enable other store fronts, or ever engage with the console platform holders stores ever again, is pretty much zero.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah Dungeons is a real hit in our house too. Really nice game.

That new Minecraft game they announced recently is coming to Steam too.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it's a great "I need to kill time for a few minutes" game and also a great "where did the last three hours go" game.

I understand why Vampire Survivors is great for "I need to kill time for a few minutes".. but only in theory. I'd love to know how long my average session time is with Vampire Survivors, but I bet it's well over an hour.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

VideoGames posted:

My steam dreck arrived on Monday and after only one day being able to mess with it I think it is the bees knees. Really impressed by how light, yet substantial it feels for something so big. I also cannot think of a more comfortable controller and this one happens to have the console in as well.

Valve really did their design work. I mostly wanted something to play Dark Souls II in bed and found out that only DS1 was on the switch, so now I can souls trilogy whenever I want and then some! :)

One of Steams coolest benefits has always been its ability to pull franchises together when they've been splintered across different periods of console exclusivity or hardware cycles previously.

Obviously we're not there yet with From's games (and I am choosing to believe it's only a matter of time), but being able to play the DS trilogy, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Demons Souls on this thing is going to be amazing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

GTO posted:

Is bloodborne coming to pc then?

Probably not, but whilever there's a 0.01% chance it might, idiots like me will keep banging on about it.

It would be healthier if they just came out and said "the code was lost in a fire and Bluepoint can't be bothered".

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Annath posted:

I pulled the trigger on the 512GB deck thanks to a holiday bonus from work.

I'm excited! I hope it gets here soon :3:

What an amazing way to spend a work bonus, you are seriously going to love it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

If you have some modern AAA games that are Deck verified (or ProtonDB says run well) then take those for a spin. Playing some of those big, graphically intense games at 40/60fps on a handheld is absolutely mindblowing.

Then go back to something like Vampire Survivors, Binding of Isaac or Hades, which is where we all know the Deck really shines.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cross posting from the Doom WADS thread, but has anyone installed GZDoom etc on Steam Deck, and playing WAD's on Deck?

Is there a dummy's guide on how to do it? I'm a complete Linux noob and up to now have done almost nothing with my Deck outside of just playing Steam games on it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

njsykora posted:

I just bought a game on Steam because it was on sale and works on the Deck even though I have no interest in it.

The voices are back.

It's going to be a dangerous winter sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

tater_salad posted:

I bought a bunch of games to play.. I touched 1 of the 4.

Sounds about right. So far I've played 1 of the 10 new games I picked up during the last sale.

Still got a wishlist packed with games I will buy and ignore while I just keep playing Doom and Dark Souls for the umpteenth time each.