Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

From what I’ve gathered they take the orders on Monday, roll the unclaimed in to Thursday and then ship everything at the end of the week.

My turn should be Monday, and I’m just bracing myself for that week or so of pretending I didn’t order it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

With stuff that needs tinkering, there's https://www.protondb.com which is a kind of community-collab of recommended tweaks and settings for stuff that isn't running smoothly out of the box as well, so even if you don't necessarily understand how to troubleshoot it yourself there's probably some quick steps to follow for most non-shovelware stuff.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Skrill.exe posted:

Yeah play some loving games you dweebs, yeesh

I would if they'd ship the goddamned thing :argh:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Anti-Bunny posted:

Paid for the deck a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.

I just got my tracking info for my 512 from Monday. From what I understand in the US at least they batch them all and ship everything on Saturday.

Tracking says it’ll be here tomorrow but I just can’t trust fedex like that.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I still have my Steam Controller from forever ago - thankfully with the AA battery decision nothing exploded while it was sitting in a bin for a few years. Been using it docked, still feels pretty good, though the shape feels a little weird even now - the buttons are just a little too far from my thumbs to be comfortable and the triggers don't feel too great, though the deck has pretty much the same setup there. It was still a really solid concept and I do hope they try it again with the ergo lessons they've learned from the Deck itself.

Anyway I'm playing God of War on a portable system and this poo poo rules.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Anybody have any recommendations for a joystick cap that doesn't gently caress with the touch detection of the Deck? For whatever reason the texture of the sticks is making my thumbs feel weirdly itchy and I don't like it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

All you people with weird texture issues (it's an autism thing, right? I always hated the feeling of paper towels growing up) should probably get a dbrand skin or something.

I mean, for me it’s legitimate physical discomfort. It’s not a sensory thing, the coating on the joysticks feels like a really fine grit sandpaper and it irritates my skin a bit after playing for a while.

I probably will just grab some random silicone caps and remap the motion activation to something else and see if it helps at all.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

fadam posted:

Is your deck like messed up or something? I played a shitload of RE4 today and yesterday and not once did I fee revulsion at my steamdeck’s textures

Just incredible that “the thumb stick texture makes my thumbs a little itchy and irritated” means you have undiagnosed autism and feel revulsed by a video game console. gently caress me for having a minor inconvenience and asking for advice, I guess.

I bought the stupid PrO gAmEr thumb stick covers and it’s much better now. Motion controls seem to even activate with them on, though I’m worried the sensitivity will be worse. Probably just gonna remap the activation anyway to be safe. Deck still good.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there a good equivalent to the Steam link app for macOS? It doesn’t run on the last few releases of that operating system because Valve haven’t made a 64bit version of it for some reason. Basically how can I remote into the deck in desktop mode? Thanks!

If you’ve got an M1 you should be able to install the iOS app if you do want to go the Steam Link route specifically.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

The Grey posted:

Aren't the updates supposed to be only Mondays and Fridays? Pretty sure I got bumped up to 97% today.

Purchase emails are Monday and Thursday.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

yeah sorry I worded that question poorly, because the speculation part of this is more what I was curious about.

also didn't catch the bit about the ssd, that's probably enough for me to bump up to the mid tier because lazy. thanks!

You could also just buy a 512 microsd for like, 50 bucks and have plenty of storage to go around. Iirc read/write tests with decent sd cards have been roughly the same as the internal ssd.

SteamOS will let you hotswap them while the device is on as well, so you could have a couple if you wanted one for emulation and one for proper Steam titles, etc. There’s even a neat little thing somebody made called the Deckmate that’s got a clip-on bracket for the back and some kickstands and other attachments which has a couple little slots in the clip for extra sd cards that I thought was pretty cool.

The 256 model is in kind of a weird place - with the 512 you at least get the fancy etched screen to make it stand out a bit, but I’d go 64 plus a bigger SD card for a budget device or 512 for the bells and whistles.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 25, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I did some more research and ultimately landed on just buying those and planning to replace both instead of a RMA. Can’t wait to somehow gently caress up the soldering.

Even if you do totally gently caress up soldering a single wire to a contact pad, all you'll kill is the touch-activation sensor in the joysticks. Not a huge loss.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Apple does that same thing with all their trackpads and it never stops loving with me when it’s off and doesn’t move at all.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ya know, the deckmate came with a couple spare attachments pucks. That’s actually not the worst idea I’ve seen. I’m mostly just using the kickstand for now.

https://deckmate.me - these things are actually pretty neat if you want to upgrade from velcroing crap to your handheld.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I’m going to open up my Deck to fix the L1 breakage and install the hall-effect joystick sensors. Anyone have any advice for the process? I’ve heard about backing the case screws off a bit when putting them back in, so they line up better with the existing holes and don’t loosen them further.

(I haven’t soldered in ages, this could be an expensive evening!)

Don't forget to pull the MicroSD card out before you try to pull the back cover off or you'll snap the fucker in half.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

My Deck no longer charges as of this morning. Usb-C port is incredibly loose as well, cords keep falling right out of it. Dunno what the gently caress happened, I didn’t drop it or anything. I guess I might have set something on the cord or had it get snagged on something, but goddamn that’s a delicate little port if that’s the case.

Either way, RMA time I guess :(

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

forest spirit posted:

can't hurt to poop it open and look at the connector from the inside? it only takes 5 minutes. RMAing anything is lame

I’d have to pull the entire motherboard to get a good look at it and I don’t have any thermal paste laying around to replace on the heat sink after taking it apart. I did pop the back plate and reseated the battery cable just in case. No luck.

Looked inside the port with a flashlight as well, nothing stuck in it, nothing looks broken. I think I can see one of the little nubs that’s supposed to apply pressure to the cable pushed in a bit. I’m betting something put pressure on the cable while it was plugged in and screwed something up. Might have set my iPad on it or got it stuck on something picking it up.

Edit: also wiggling the cord around in there isn’t tripping the charge light at all, regardless of the angle I try, so it’s gotta be more than just the loose cable or I’d be able to get contact in there somewhere.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 29, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Got the RMA approval and a shipping label. They’re quick, at least.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of the RMA process? Mine was picked up on Monday and the order status still says "Awaiting receipt by valve". Given that my first deck went missing thanks to Evri, I really don't want to have been duped by a guy in a brown shirt and a machine that goes "beep".

If you've had a unit repaired/replaced, how long did it take for them to receive it/get a new (or fixed) one back to you?

I’m in the same boat as you here in the US at the moment. Shipped it back Monday for my broken usb-c port, delivered yesterday according to the UPS tracking but still showing up as waiting for return in Steam. Probably needs a couple days to process through I’d assume. Seemed like 2 week turnaround was more or less normal in the US when I was looking in to it, at least.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Got my RMA deck today. Total turnaround from
Opening the ticket last Saturday was 10 days. They sent what appears to be a brand new unit with all the retail packaging, etc, no issues out of the box. drat fine support there.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ragequit posted:

How lengthy is the RMA process? I use the Deck ~2 hours per day, but sending it off for a week wouldn't be too bad. My fan is a little "clicky" at any speed, so I assume a few bearings aren't up to par. Steam links iFixit right from their support page, so I am wondering if it would be less hassle to buy a new fan for $25.

Though since I also have some light bleed in the panel, maybe it's worth an RMA.

My RMA for a broken usb-c port was about 10 days from shipping out to getting back in the US. I’ve heard international is worse.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I just installed the Gulikit ones an hour ago since they were on sale over the weekend. Took maybe 20 minutes, the soldering was barely worth mentioning. If you can stick the pointy bit on the metal square without burning yourself or the PCB you’re probably fine.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

One of the first things people always comment on is how big the deck is, but man I wouldn't trade the ergonomics and repairability for a 'sleeker' design for anything. It's so hard to hold a Switch now, even with the big bulky Hori joycons or whatever. They really nailed how good a deck feels in your hands.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m a big proponent of those Hori split pads but I always feel like I’m gonna accidentally twist them and damage the rails.

I've tried the full size and the new compact ones. They help, but even those get my hand cramped up after a while. It didn't really bother me as much until I got the deck but it's so hard to go back now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

It does also let you dial back the default dead zone on the sticks to be much smaller if you’re in to that extra bit of snappiness and finesse, but it’s not a huge game changer. Probably best left until your original sticks start failing unless you’re a huge nerd that likes to tinker with hardware poo poo anyway.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Annath posted:

How do I find Flathub? I searched in the Discover store and didn't see it.

Also, no virtual keyboard comes up in Desktop mode when I tap in a text box :saddowns:

In desktop you gotta manually summon the keyboard with Steam or ... button + X button at the same time.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

This is actually a really nifty idea. I'm not sure I'd get one my self but I think the idea is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNGf_aWNSLs

https://deckmate.me/

I got one a couple months back. The kickstand is great and having a second microsd clipped to the back of the deck with all my emulator stuff and hot swapping as needed is cool. I have yet to use any of the other attachments like the adhesive pucks or mounts because they’re just not terribly practical.

If you’re gonna get one I wouldn’t recommend the big full package unless you’ve got a plan for the other poo poo.

Edit: remembering I had this junk inspired me to Frankenstein together a portable dock solution with one of the random USB-C docks I had around here for the gently caress of it.

Stuck one of the pucks to one side, the “case adapter” to the other side so I could snap the kickstand on to that. It’s fairly clean, I guess?

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 9, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

unpurposed posted:

Anyone running into the crash bug on Death Stranding: Director's Cut where moving the right stick will crash the game in the map screen?

I’m probably like, 30 hours in and haven’t seen this. I believe I changed to Proton GE right out of the gate having heard that fixed some issues though - perhaps that’ll help if you haven’t already tried it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

It should be fine if you open the launcher and set it to use dx11 instead of dx12, which apparently doesn’t play nice with Proton yet.

FSR isn’t supported in DX11 and the performance takes a pretty big hit to where you’ll be looking at medium/low settings to get close to stable 40fps with the update though. Sounds generally like a pass for the deck until/unless it gets some patching or Proton supports dx12. You can use the Betas tab in Steam to roll back to the classic version/keep it from updating.

You should also be able to use the launch options to set —launcher-skip to bypass the dumb new launcher CDPR stuck in there just like Cyberpunk.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Sigh you can but it then defaults to Directx 12 apparently even if you had D11 selected before setting the launch option, and crashes on save load.

Lmao. Incredible decision making there. I hadn’t gotten around to trying it yet.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3401926123919972634

Valve has released an ~25 pages ebook about the Steam Deck's success. It shows a ton of prototype hardware designs. This might also be the first confirmation of a future hardware revision I've seen. Not that you should put off getting one.

This thing was released back in August. It's cool as hell, but it's not the thing that's been sparking a bunch of additional discussion about a next revision, etc.

https://www.theverge.com/23499215/valve-steam-deck-interview-late-2022 this was the article where they discuss plans for an eventual v2 and the possibility of an updated Steam Controller, though all this is on a timeline of years in all likelyhood.

I recently dug my old Steam Controller out of a storage bin for playing my Deck docked and I forgot how much this thing owned. It was weird and not for everybody but god I love it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Squiggle posted:

You and me buddy, the last cowboys

I'm just always amazed at how good the trackball/inertia feel is for camera control. Spin and tap, small slide for precision. It's such a shame the idea never really took off and the ergonomics of trying to cram dual sticks and a comfortable touchpad option in to a normal controller build to give people the option is definitely not an easy task.

A modular design where you could pop out and in various dpad/joystick/touchpad/button setups could be an interesting direction to run with it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

njsykora posted:

Yes, especially if you sleep the Deck. Loads of other people have this issue from my searching and it's super annoying.

Death Stranding has a similar issue related to sleep mode, controls sometimes just don't come back after sleep/wake. I'm pretty sure they both use the same engine, it's probably some kind of bug there that Sony needs to patch if they could be bothered.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

With Isaac in particular there’s also been a ton of balance changes to items throughout the DLCs so there’d be a decent chance that if you love the base game then go buy the DLC afterward it’ll gently caress up a bunch of stuff you were just starting to get the hang of, especially with Repentance.

Not the end of the world but it might make the transition a lot more annoying than it would be to just start with everything.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Oh that's true, actually yeah. I would say the base game is plenty but you won't really be wrong to buy everything if you feel like it.

If I have Persona 4 and haven't played it yet there's no particular reason to buy 5, right? 4 is still considered very good? 2023 is going to be the year I crack JRPGs, I've decided.

4 is arguably better if you’ve never played the series before. 5 is great, but it is an absolutely massive, bloated 100+ hour story while 4 is a bit more streamlined.

When/if you’ve played through 4 and decided ‘hell yeah, give me another 100 hours of this but flashier’ that’s the time to grab 5.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

And like, holy gently caress what an achievement Proton is on top of it all. Every now and again I remember that this crazy little games tablet is live translating windows-based applications to a Linux OS and doing it well enough to run poo poo like Elden Ring competently.

Gives me hope that I might be able to get my home PC off the increasingly bloated and invasive Windows releases in the next few years without making myself completely insane.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Chinook posted:

I want to get a charging stand/dock, because I want to be able to just drop the Deck onto something to charge it. I doubt I'll hook this up to a TV (the TV I would hook it up to is already attached to a more powerful PC) so I don't really care too much about the fancy features on the official Dock. What's a good cheap option?

So there's not really anything in the Switch-style drop-and-charge setup if that's what you had in mind, almost everything is going to require you to plug in a cable to the top of the unit to charge.

That in mind the absolute cheapest option would just be to drop something like this near a power outlet: https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Frosted-Aluminum-Playstand-Anti-Slip/dp/B09YY1NSBX/

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tibbeh posted:

Anyone try Hitman 3 on the Deck yet? I'm curious how well it runs

I played it a bunch pre-World of Assassination update or whatever it's called. Runs totally fine, no real complaints. Biggest pain in the rear end is how poo poo the always-online servers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Barreft posted:

Does anyone have one of these?
https://deckmate.me/products/deck-mate-entire-system

Want it mostly for the kickstand and battery pack connector

I’ve got one. I pretty much just use it for the kickstand and the extra microsd storage for my emulator card. It’s quite nice - was there something specific you wanted to know about it?